Give the diamond over, or using it [MAJOR SPOILERS]

PokefanPT

Hi there!

I've been playing this game for a while now, but I haven't picked on it since September.

I picked it a few days ago, but, as you can guess, I totally didn't know what I was doing. Thankfully, I was at the part where you have to defeat Vivian, in order to prevent her from sacrificing herself. And all of you know what comes after this. Like, I was so confused all the time, because I didn't remember some names of the characters, but also because all of that situation was really confusing. After all the events that happen in that future, I was at the part where I had to choose between Handing over the diamond, keep it, or do nothing. Guess what I choose? After some time thinking about the situation, I came to the conclusion that there wasn't a single option that was necessarily bad, like, you could hand over the diamond, and then, in some way, have it back, but I also found it hard to believe that the princess would just destroy the ship, because that was throwing herself under the bus, it didn't make sense. But I ended up choosing handing over the diamond, because I thought the game wouldn't think about how the choices were not that plot twisting, and went for the "safe" one. Guess I totally forgot about the part of "not touching" (well, Melia could just throw the diamond, but ok).

Long story short, I was shocked when I had over my screen a "Game Over" screen. Like, I always get shocked when a game were you are not supposed to loose gives you this kind of screen (in a really good game called Rakuen, you should check it out, this also happened to me and I was so freaked out by it xD). As a pro player I am (sarcasm: 100%), I went to see what I was supposed to choose, and, for my suprise, it was actually "Do nothing".

But I was so freaked out by the "Game Over" screen, that I was afraid that this game would give one of Undertale, and not let me have a true good "ending", so I just deleted the save file, and went for a back-up one (thank god I saved before entering that).

But now I'm curious about some things, and I wanted to know your opinions!

First, was I the only one freaked out by the game over screen? Or I was the only one that choose handing the diamond over (because I'm dumb, and didn't realized how the game was playing me to do that choice).

What's the difference between the "Use the diamond" and "Do nothing"? I went for the "Do nothing" one, because people said it was the better one, but I'm curious to know how that ending was!

Finally, would the game remind you that you choose the wrong path, when you "tried again", and chose another path?

I would like to thank the developers for making such a refreshing game! I still can't believe I have 70+ hours on a game made from fans (GameFreak could never). Thank you for your hard work, and I would love to see how this game will finish like!

(Also, sorry for any grammar mistakes, my native language isn't english!)

Just a side note: I find it funny how people say the battle against Keth was hard, but I defeated him in my first try, and I usually have a hard time with, almost, every boss in this game (mainly because I still only have 4 Pokémon, since I can't decide what the other 2 should be).

Edit: Forgot to put the text with the "Justified" thingy. Sorry for how unorganized the text was! I think it's better now!

Edited by PokefanPT
I wanted to make the post prettier!

I think only Do nothing is the right choice and will progress the story, the other one would also give you Game Over, not sure if I remember correctly though.

As for me, I chose do nothing because I didn't like the first two options, I thought it would lead to a better outcome and thankfully it did.

The objectively best option, oddly enough, is doing nothing. Seems odd considering the context of the situation and why exactly you got there, but that's the choice for the best ending there.

If you use the diamond, everyone else kinda really despises you, and you leave the world while it's still doomed.

Edited by Tikkit

Honestly, I think I'll always be confused about how the two good options for the situation are the ones where you aren't choosing to act to benefit the majority. If only because the entire situation was engineered by 

Spoiler

Spacea and Tiempia to teach Melia a lesson about putting the greater good over her own desires.

52 minutes ago, Edo said:

I think only Do nothing is the right choice and will progress the story, the other one would also give you Game Over, not sure if I remember correctly though.

As for me, I chose do nothing because I didn't like the first two options, I thought it would lead to a better outcome and thankfully it did.

I really thought that "Do nothing" would give you a game over. I played other games where your choices are important, and usually, doing nothing is always the worst one. Guess I got tricked by this game xD.

I'm glad you didn't have to restart the game like I did. I should have thought like you!

36 minutes ago, Mettaton Fan said:
  Reveal hidden contents

If you choose to turn away the past kenneth, tesla, and etc would have died.

Really? Wow, that's sad, actually. Thankfully I saw what was the best option, because my second choice would be using the Diamond (due to the reason mentioned above). In my playthtough, everyone is good (I think).

16 minutes ago, Tikkit said:

The objectively best option, oddly enough, is doing nothing. Seems odd considering the context of the situation and why exactly you got there, but that's the choice for the best ending there.

If you use the diamond, everyone else kinda really despises you, and you leave the world while it's still doomed.

Exactly! I find it so odd too! I don't think I would ever think that doing nothing would be the best option, but I understand why it's actually the best choice there (although the choice itself it's not really explicit, because you actually do something, and they could've hinted that a bit more I guess, because I don't know if Melia is smart or not to understand how the choices are just a bluff).

I'm glad I choose "Do nothing", if the other ending is that bad too. My best idea ever was seeing what was I supposed to do in this situation, because I would likely go with the "Keep with the Diamond" option next, and I would think that was the best outcome for the game.

16 minutes ago, enderowl said:

Do Nothing. Funniest Option, for me at least, and also leads to the best scenario for the situation. 

Yes, it really is a funny option when you think about it xD. I should have thought less in this situation, I overcomplicated this scenario xD.

2 minutes ago, Tikkit said:

Honestly, I think I'll always be confused about how the two good options for the situation are the ones where you aren't choosing to act to benefit the majority. If only because the entire situation was engineered by 

Reveal hidden contents

Spacea and Tiempia to teach Melia a lesson about putting the greater good over her own desires.

I find a bit odd how Spacea and Tiempia just let Melia create another timeline (which was miserable, to say the least), just to teach her a "lesson". Like, it's normal to try to save everyone when you can, how was Melia supposed to know that her choice would have such an impact. And even though they knew that, they just let Melia save Vivian, and, therefore, creat that timeline. Thankfully Melia gave them a lesson though. I also find it funny how no one blames us, it's always Melia xD.

And I agree with you, I'm also confused how that choice ends up in such a bad ending.

I'm really glad that I'm not the only one sharing these thoughts. Thank you for all the replies guys!

I mean, can you blame them for letting Melia screw around and create the ruined timeline? As far as they're concerned, it teaches the lesson that putting the good of one, (Vivian) over the good of all (The region-wide Garufan protection spell) is a bad thing to do and it causes the literal end of days.

1 hour ago, Tikkit said:

I mean, can you blame them for letting Melia screw around and create the ruined timeline? As far as they're concerned, it teaches the lesson that putting the good of one, (Vivian) over the good of all (The region-wide Garufan protection spell) is a bad thing to do and it causes the literal end of days.

Yeah, I get your point, and I agree with you, but they didn't need to be so radical. And also, we, the character, didn't need to be in that situation at all, because it was Melia's fault, not ours (according to the game). The other people also didn't deserve to suffer in order to give Melia a lesson.

I also get the idea they're putting in the game with this arc in particular, and I think it's interesting, because, in the end, nobody was hurt, and Melia really got her lesson (if you choose "Do nothing", of course, and I'm being optimistic here).

Primordial gods, or whatever Spacea and Tiempia are, probably don't care about what happens in a theoretical timeline that never happens unless you screw things up in the past. And yeah, we probably don't need to be there, but would we really, as an audience, be able to understand how far Spacea and Tiempia are willing to go in the name of the greater good if we weren't there? Anyway, while on this whole topic, isn't it a bit strange that everyone in the ruined timeline with an actual character is someone we know? You'd think that say, Mosely or Amber wouldn't even exist in a timeline in which the apocalypse hits Aevium 30 years ago or whenever this happened.

14 hours ago, Tikkit said:

Primordial gods, or whatever Spacea and Tiempia are, probably don't care about what happens in a theoretical timeline that never happens unless you screw things up in the past. And yeah, we probably don't need to be there, but would we really, as an audience, be able to understand how far Spacea and Tiempia are willing to go in the name of the greater good if we weren't there? Anyway, while on this whole topic, isn't it a bit strange that everyone in the ruined timeline with an actual character is someone we know? You'd think that say, Mosely or Amber wouldn't even exist in a timeline in which the apocalypse hits Aevium 30 years ago or whenever this happened.

Gods always see humans as inferior beings, so you are right about Spacea and Tiempia (if they're gods, I don't know what they are too xD) not caring about the other timeline. And yes, we obviously needed to go so that we, the audience, would get the bigger picture, but maybe the plot could also focus a bit on our character too (I don't know, like, we did help Melia, but the game never recognizes that, although we really didn't have a choice). Overall I thought this arc was really interesting, a bit confusing at times, but explained a lot of the story that happened before (finally, some clues).

Yes, I also find it strange that Aelita and Erin didn't exist in that timeline, but, for some reason, Amber and Mosely did. I guess it was for that we could get along better with the characters (because we already knew them), and it was way easier than creating new characters, with new personalities (imagine if the 2nd Amber was a new character, but with the same personality, probably we wouldn't like her). It makes sense that Aelita didn't exist (because her mother never existed), but I'm not sure about Erin though (nor Venam and the others). But I think it was smart using some acquainted characters, because it was better for us, and easier to the developers!

I don't think any option gives you a game over to be honest..
I choose to use the diamond, my mentality was that if I simple go back and let Vivian do her thing everything would just fix itself, yeah I know she told that timeline would still be f***ed but I don't trust her anyway.. If this timeline was created because we choose to save Vivian than it would no longer exist if we just don't, at least that's how I feel time travel would work.. ANYWAY here is what choosing that option does:

Spoiler

You "use" the diamond just to realize it's fake.. She played you like a fool, she them blows up the ship, dooming the planet, and blast everyone except Melia (including you) with her Yveltal.. Madame X retursn, she flees, you still get to go to the past but I just felt like a dummass.. In hindsight I should had realized that the stone she had would probably be a fake.. Oh well, who cares.. Water under the bridge

Edited by MhicKy

No, handing the diamond over does give you a game over. Believe me, I tried. 

Spoiler

Melia merges with Melanie, and Melanie takes over as the dominant personality. I then believe that it cuts to a scene of Amber waking up, and we shortly follow her pov in a cutscene as her mother wakes her up, telling her that it's time for Melanie's coronation. You can see that the world has been fixed, and that Amber was sleeping in a rather nice room, contrary to the version of the Blacksteeple we had been at prior.

4 hours ago, MhicKy said:

I don't think any option gives you a game over to be honest..
I choose to use the diamond, my mentality was that if I simple go back and let Vivian do her thing everything would just fix itself, yeah I know she told that timeline would still be f***ed but I don't trust her anyway.. If this timeline was created because we choose to save Vivian than it would no longer exist if we just don't, at least that's how I feel time travel would work.. ANYWAY here is what choosing that option does:

Reveal hidden contents

You "use" the diamond just to realize it's fake.. She played you like a fool, she them blows up the ship, dooming the planet, and blast everyone except Melia (including you) with her Yveltal.. Madame X retursn, she flees, you still get to go to the past but I just felt like a dummass.. In hindsight I should had realized that the stone she had would probably be a fake.. Oh well, who cares.. Water under the bridge

4 hours ago, Tikkit said:

No, handing the diamond over does give you a game over. Believe me, I tried. 

Reveal hidden contents

Melia merges with Melanie, and Melanie takes over as the dominant personality. I then believe that it cuts to a scene of Amber waking up, and we shortly follow her pov in a cutscene as her mother wakes her up, telling her that it's time for Melanie's coronation. You can see that the world has been fixed, and that Amber was sleeping in a rather nice room, contrary to the version of the Blacksteeple we had been at prior.

Yeah, the "handing over the diamond" really gives you a "game over" screen. I was literally shocked by that, but it's how things work I guess xD

Thank you for explaining what happens in the other option! I was really curious! Glad I just choose "Do  nothing", and it was the best option out of the 3. I still find it odd how that is the option that gives the best outcome.

Yeah, I understand your point of view, but time travelling is just way to complicated, there's millions of possibilities. Well, I'm glad you don't find it hard to get over it (talking about myself, I would literally be so sad to know that the best option was "Do Nothing", that I seriously would see if I could use some backup saves!), and I'm sure that will not be important later. Also, as I said, these options have a lot of variables that were not mentioned in the game, and, as so, your answer could be most correct one (but in the end, it is the developers who choose which is the best).

To be honest, that choice baffled me when I first saw it, and the “Game Over” was chilling... 

But when you think of it, it makes actually sense that the “do nothing” choice leads to the best consequences. 
The situation is a manipulation of Spacea and Tiempa to teach Melia a lesson about her meddling in matters she didn’t understand (that’s not exactly the alleged reason, but can you actually believe their word?) for the sake of her morals. 
So to show that she has learnt her lesson, Melia needs to make the choice she wasn’t able to do with Vivian: stand back and let do, in other words, do nothing. 

Okay, that sounded much, much neater in my head. Now it sounds like a crackpot theory. 

• Upvote 1

15 hours ago, Mindlack said:

To be honest, that choice baffled me when I first saw it, and the “Game Over” was chilling... 

But when you think of it, it makes actually sense that the “do nothing” choice leads to the best consequences. 
The situation is a manipulation of Spacea and Tiempa to teach Melia a lesson about her meddling in matters she didn’t understand (that’s not exactly the alleged reason, but can you actually believe their word?) for the sake of her morals. 
So to show that she has learnt her lesson, Melia needs to make the choice she wasn’t able to do with Vivian: stand back and let do, in other words, do nothing. 

Okay, that sounded much, much neater in my head. Now it sounds like a crackpot theory. 

That actually makes a lot of sense actually. I've never thought how the lesson was the same has the choice with the best ending, "Do Nothing"! Wow, how could I have never think about that? Thank you for your "theory", which I find really plausable! Life, for real, you made me a lot more "relaxed" (I don't know what word describes this feeling the best xD) about the best choice. Don't worry, that sounded even better "on paper" then in your head!