Mega Ring and Z-Ring?

MhicKy

Soooo..
I've been playing for a while, got my 12th badge a while ago and it hit me.. "Where the f**k is my mega ring?!"
Gym leaders are starting to use Mega Evolutions for a while now and I feel kinda cheated on that regard.. I have the mega stone for Banette ever since the Help Request on West Gaeren so I assumed I would get one eventually but nothing so far so.. DId I do something wrong? Did I miss it? Or does it take that long to get on?

It's not yet available as of V12, a detail that has frustrated many a player well before your time. However, the Devs have confirmed that it will be available in V13 as part of the story (and with some sort of adaptation of SwSh's Gigantimax phenomenon, if you're into that sort of thing), so you won't have to wait that much longer. Compared to Reborn, which gave you the Mega Ring just before the 15th Gym at the end of a long, easily messed up sidequest, we've got a better deal.

• Sad 1

Hm, they must've decided on how they were gonna implement them during my hiatus, then. Makes sense, though I'd imagine that at least a couple of them are gonna mourn the loss of their G-Max Moves. Orbeetle certainly doesn't mind, though

• Upvote 1

Damn.. Here I was hoping I would eventually get my Mega Mawile..
Thanks for the information guys but that is indeed frustrating..
So the gym leaders and even some special trainers get to use Mega Evolutions but I can't?! Sounds unfair.. I asked the question cuz I found that to be weird, how come they can use it but I can't? I felt like I missed something.. Maybe some sidequest I forgot to do.. Oh well.. At least now I know not to wait any longer and just hope that V13 won't take long(er)

Edited by MhicKy

The answer's to why they can use it and we can't is simple: it adds to the game's challenge. By the time the GLs start using Megas, the player already has access to a vast array of options they can use to tackle any boss efficiently, provided they're willing to put in the effort to hard counter that one in particular. Add in the fact that the AI still isn't the most effective ATM, and it makes sense that they're gonna need some sort of extra advantage to deal with us and our increasingly almighty arsenal in a meaningful manner. Though that does bring the worrisome question of what the bosses are gonna have to pull now that we have these tools at our disposal from the next Version onward, but I guess we'll just have to cross that bridge when we get there.

1 hour ago, Autumn Zephyr said:

The answer's to why they can use it and we can't is simple: it adds to the game's challenge. By the time the GLs start using Megas, the player already has access to a vast array of options they can use to tackle any boss efficiently, provided they're willing to put in the effort to hard counter that one in particular. Add in the fact that the AI still isn't the most effective ATM, and it makes sense that they're gonna need some sort of extra advantage to deal with us and our increasingly almighty arsenal in a meaningful manner. Though that does bring the worrisome question of what the bosses are gonna have to pull now that we have these tools at our disposal from the next Version onward, but I guess we'll just have to cross that bridge when we get there.

They'll probably have even more absurd EV counts and items that will make them immune to their weaknesses.  The former is definitely on the table, considering that's what they're already doing.  Gym 14's Torterra has 450 HP, 252 Atk, 512 Def, and 320 SpD on Intense, not to mention its crest that swaps its weaknesses and resistances.  I would expect to see numbers like that on Normal and higher numbers on Intense.

My original theory here was that they'd make it like Necrozma's Ultra Burst, effectively being a "Z-Move" that you needed to "Mega" first to use. If they're just gonna be the Megas, then it's pretty likely that the G-Max Moves are properly out, since it seems pretty silly to give them both a Mega Stone and a Z-Crystal when they can only use one of them at a given time anyway. That's my view of the situation, anyway.

Intense Mode has a tendency to give GLs random Legendaries after a certain point in the game, not just Florin (Souta's packing, or at least at one point packed, a thundurus, for example). The Intense Mode teams aren't the "canon" ones, though, so they don't need an in-universe explanation to work. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯