Suggestions for the Team

hassan1304

Hey Guys!

I have recently beaten Noel and want to do some revision/expansion and EV training for my team, which currently consists of:

Blaziken (Primero) lvl 55

Speed Boost

Moveset: Double Kick, Bulk Up, Blaze Kick, Shadow Claw

Arcanine (MightyGal) lvl 54

Intimidate

Moveset: Heat Wave, Flare Blitz, Close Combat, Extreme Speed

Starmie (LadyGaga) lvl 54

Natural Cure

Moveset: Cosmic Power, Minimize, Psychic, Brine

Meowstic - Male (Joker) lvl 53

Prankster

Moveset: Misty Terrain, Reflect, Psychic, Fake Out

Nidoqueen (Elisabeth) lvl 55

Poison Point

Moveset: Crunch, Earth Power, Venom Drench, Toxic Spikes

Ampharos (LeSheep) lvl 54

Static

Moveset: Discharge, Electro Ball, Power Gem, Cotton Guard

I also have a variety of different pokemons (over lvl 40 which treating as "rotation" mons): Klinklang lvl 52, Mawile lvl 46, Hippowdon lvl 43 + three boxes of other). Do you have any suggestions how can I expand/change my team? I like wide rotations and don't mind grinding.  

Your team's typings aren't that great. Arcanine is useless with Blaziken, and Meowstic is useless with Starmie. Just put them in rotation until you get to fight where you will need them. 

You should should swap them out for either your Hippowdon, a steel type (I recommend Aron), a grass type, or a dark type.

Your movesets also could use some improvements. All of your mons can be taught better moves from the move relearner which you should have access to now. 

Blaziken can learn High Jump Kick from the move relearner so replace Double Kick with that. It can also learn Fire Punch and Flare Blitz, both much better than Blaze Kick.

If you're going to continue using a Meowstic, Female is much better than male. The moveset is extremely versatile, and having a defensive mon is a waste for most battles. 

For NIdoqueen, replace Venom Drench with Venoshock or Sludge Wave, Poison STAB is much better than lowering stats. Toxic Spikes isn't that great either, maybe swap that out for Superpower for a strong physical move.

Arcanine doesn't need Heat Wave. Crunch or Outrage is better but it seems you evolved it without learning those moves so that moveset is fine. 

Meowstic is fine. A pretty useless mon at that point in the game so I would either swap it out or start using a female meowstic which has a better movepool. 

Ampharos shouldn't have Electro Ball without Thunder Wave and with Discharge. It's a pretty useless move. Swapping Electro Ball for T-wave or Signal Beam is probably your best bet.

Could you post a screenshot of your boxed mons? I'd like to see if there's any I could recommend for your team or to put on rotation.

I don't think keeping Arcanine in the party will do you a lot of favors. As a pure fire type with a fighting type move, she doesn't bring a lot to the table that Blaziken doesn't already cover except for priority and intimidate.

Mawile is also a great intimidate mon that you already have in your party. Mawile also has access to Sucker Punch to cover the priority gap plus it brings an amazing typing into the mix. Mawilite is also available in the game later on.

Level your Blaziken up 2 levels so it can learn Sky Uppercut to replace Double Kick.

Electro Ball is pretty useless on Ampharos since it's so slow. I suggest you relearn it Thunder Wave.

I suggest you replace your Nidoqueen's Venom Drench with Sludge Wave, it's a great stab move that effects a lot of terrain fields.

Meowstic is becoming weaker and weaker at this point in the game and you already have a Starmie in main rotation. I suggest you swap that one out with some other mon.

52 minutes ago, Taska said:

Your team's typings aren't that great. Arcanine is useless with Blaziken, and Meowstic is useless with Starmie. Just put them in rotation until you get to fight where you will need them. 

You should should swap them out for either your Hippowdon, a steel type (I recommend Aron), a grass type, or a dark type.

Your movesets also could use some improvements. All of your mons can be taught better moves from the move relearner which you should have access to now. 

Blaziken can learn High Jump Kick from the move relearner so replace Double Kick with that. It can also learn Fire Punch and Flare Blitz, both much better than Blaze Kick.

If you're going to continue using a Meowstic, Female is much better than male. The moveset is extremely versatile, and having a defensive mon is a waste for most battles. 

For NIdoqueen, replace Venom Drench with Venoshock or Sludge Wave, Poison STAB is much better than lowering stats. Toxic Spikes isn't that great either, maybe swap that out for Superpower for a strong physical move.

Arcanine doesn't need Heat Wave. Crunch or Outrage is better but it seems you evolved it without learning those moves so that moveset is fine. 

Meowstic is fine. A pretty useless mon at that point in the game so I would either swap it out or start using a female meowstic which has a better movepool. 

Ampharos shouldn't have Electro Ball without Thunder Wave and with Discharge. It's a pretty useless move. Swapping Electro Ball for T-wave or Signal Beam is probably your best bet.

Could you post a screenshot of your boxed mons? I'd like to see if there's any I could recommend for your team or to put on rotation.

56 minutes ago, Seal said:

I don't think keeping Arcanine in the party will do you a lot of favors. As a pure fire type with a fighting type move, she doesn't bring a lot to the table that Blaziken doesn't already cover except for priority and intimidate.

Mawile is also a great intimidate mon that you already have in your party. Mawile also has access to Sucker Punch to cover the priority gap plus it brings an amazing typing into the mix. Mawilite is also available in the game later on.

Level your Blaziken up 2 levels so it can learn Sky Uppercut to replace Double Kick.

Electro Ball is pretty useless on Ampharos since it's so slow. I suggest you relearn it Thunder Wave.

I suggest you replace your Nidoqueen's Venom Drench with Sludge Wave, it's a great stab move that effects a lot of terrain fields.

Meowstic is becoming weaker and weaker at this point in the game and you already have a Starmie in main rotation. I suggest you swap that one out with some other mon.

Thanks!  The boxes are attached. 

So I'll replace Arcanine with Klinklang for now (Clear Body; Gear Grind, Mirror Shot, Autotomize (Shift Gear incoming), Discharge).

I kept Meowstic for Prankster (screens/terrain) support mainly but I might replace him with Mawile maybe (the one I have has Sheer Force, I plan giving him: Sucker Punch, Stockpile, Play Rough and Iron Head) or Ribombee which I was thinking about catching and adding to keep physical/special balance and a little more type diversity.

Regarding moves: I'll wait for Sky uppercut, and replace Blaze Kick with Fire Punch for Blaziken + definietly replace Electro Ball with T-Wave for Ampharos. I'll have Superpower in 3 levels + I'll add Sludge Wave for Nidoqueen.    

box1.PNG

box2.PNG

box3.PNG

box4.PNG

box5.PNG

I would actually suggest you keep Meowstic over Starmie.

Look into Sharpedo who is a pretty great Mon on it's own and works really well with Blaziken.

Now you have your Water type weakness covered and you have another great sweeper alongside Blaziken.

Defensive Mons, especially ones that have Prankster and has access to Screens, are amazing. They allow you to setup for your sweepers and allow for much safer swaps during battles. Definitely disagree with the previous poster, defensive Mons can be very strong and incredibly useful.

As mentioned before, a Steel-type would be really good to cover a Fighting weakness.

Blaziken, Sharpedo, Ampharos, Meowstic, Nidoqueen - And a Steel-type is a pretty solid team.

Mawile is pretty cool and your Blaziken + Sharpedo covers it's Fire weakness. + Fairy coverage is alright.

Aggron is a solid pick, too.

Who did you get from the Mystery Egg?

Edited by Siv

Male Meowstic is one of the best support 'mons in Reborn (prankster dual screens + misty terrain + fake out/psychic) and goes especially well with Blaziken, but if you end up wanting something more offensive you can evolve that Eevee into an Espeon, wait for Abra, or just keep Starmie around. They all need TMs for screens (except Abra who gets Reflect naturally) but are otherwise great alternative choices with much better special attack and a base speed increase of 6, 16 and 11 respectively.

I'd recommend adding in Durant or Escavalier rather than Klinklang. Better typings, better moves, hit like monster trucks, and the former is super fast while the latter is bulky and reliable throughout a fight.

If you end up replacing Starmie and keeping Meowstic, you'll want something that can handle ground types, since your team right now is bad enough against them with Starmie, let alone if you're gonna add one or more Steel types. Gogoat is pretty good and available very soon after Noel, and that Lotad you have in your box will put in work as long as you don't evolve it too early and miss out on moves like Giga Drain, Energy Ball, Knock Off and Hydro Pump.

I would 100% get rid of the doggo if you already have a fire type with way better attack and better coverage then whats the point of even using it?

That said there are a bunch of new members you could  catch and add to your team like (  Krookodile,flygon,Roserade,Lilligant,Honchkrow,Zoruark and many more)

and if you desprately need a steel type use that escavieleir thats just screaming use me 

also get a scolipede with protect megahorn and speed boost that thing can be a monster its ev trained just right

(Also Lady Gaga the starmie.......I LOVE IT!! 😍 )

• Like 1

On 2/15/2020 at 10:27 PM, Siv said:

I would actually suggest you keep Meowstic over Starmie.

Look into Sharpedo who is a pretty great Mon on it's own and works really well with Blaziken.

Now you have your Water type weakness covered and you have another great sweeper alongside Blaziken.

Defensive Mons, especially ones that have Prankster and has access to Screens, are amazing. They allow you to setup for your sweepers and allow for much safer swaps during battles. Definitely disagree with the previous poster, defensive Mons can be very strong and incredibly useful.

As mentioned before, a Steel-type would be really good to cover a Fighting weakness.

Blaziken, Sharpedo, Ampharos, Meowstic, Nidoqueen - And a Steel-type is a pretty solid team.

Mawile is pretty cool and your Blaziken + Sharpedo covers it's Fire weakness. + Fairy coverage is alright.

Aggron is a solid pick, too.

Who did you get from the Mystery Egg?

On 2/15/2020 at 10:59 PM, Gengar768 said:

I would 100% get rid of the doggo if you already have a fire type with way better attack and better coverage then whats the point of even using it?

That said there are a bunch of new members you could  catch and add to your team like (  Krookodile,flygon,Roserade,Lilligant,Honchkrow,Zoruark and many more)

and if you desprately need a steel type use that escavieleir thats just screaming use me 

also get a scolipede with protect megahorn and speed boost that thing can be a monster its ev trained just right

(Also Lady Gaga the starmie.......I LOVE IT!! 😍 )

On 2/15/2020 at 10:43 PM, Seel The Deal said:

Male Meowstic is one of the best support 'mons in Reborn (prankster dual screens + misty terrain + fake out/psychic) and goes especially well with Blaziken, but if you end up wanting something more offensive you can evolve that Eevee into an Espeon, wait for Abra, or just keep Starmie around. They all need TMs for screens (except Abra who gets Reflect naturally) but are otherwise great alternative choices with much better special attack and a base speed increase of 6, 16 and 11 respectively.

I'd recommend adding in Durant or Escavalier rather than Klinklang. Better typings, better moves, hit like monster trucks, and the former is super fast while the latter is bulky and reliable throughout a fight.

If you end up replacing Starmie and keeping Meowstic, you'll want something that can handle ground types, since your team right now is bad enough against them with Starmie, let alone if you're gonna add one or more Steel types. Gogoat is pretty good and available very soon after Noel, and that Lotad you have in your box will put in work as long as you don't evolve it too early and miss out on moves like Giga Drain, Energy Ball, Knock Off and Hydro Pump.

A looooot of advice here, thanks! Like I mentioned I like to keep my teams rather wide, so for now (probably until Luna) it'll probably look like this:

Sweepers (Speed &  At/SpA):

Physical: Blaziken + Durant; Reserves: Klinklang, Arcanine, [they're leveled up and I think useful in late game (Sun team/Factory field)], Talonflame (it's cool + Priority STAB Acrobatics...), Krookodile, Scolipede, maybe Flygon?

Special: Starmie + Ribombee; Reserves: Meowstic (Support), Noivern, Roserade, maybe Raichu/ARaichu? 

"Tanks" (Slower mons, bulk in at least De/SpD/HP, don't mind if hits hard):

Physical: Nidoqueen; Reserves: Mawile, Hippowdon, Escavalier, Cofagrigus

Special: Ampharos; Reserves: Ludicolo, Bronzong, Gogoat, Porygon-2

Edit: @Siv, I've got Staryu. Also, what moveset do you recommend for Sharpedo? Cause I looked at it and got a little dumbfounded: Crunch/Ice Fang/Slash/Taunt, later Waterfall?

It's possible to beat Reborn with only six mon, if you put effort into egg moves/IV breeding and EV training and if you mind a good strategy or a well-rouned team, in terms of coverage. I always prefer to build my teams with fast and offensive mons, so my suggestions will be a little biased here.

Blaziken, as almost everyone in this forum agrees, is the best pokemon on Reborn. As moveset, I recommend: Bulk Up for a boost if needed, Blaze Kick for STAB, High Jump Kick for STAB too, and Thunder Punch. With this moveset, I suggest using Wide Lens as held item, so you'll never miss any of the kicks. If you are going to give it Blazikenite, then change Blaze Kick for Flare Blitz.

Arcanine is a great mon, but you are defenitely wasting a position in your team as Blaziken is already in it.

Starmie is one of the water mons I like the most. It has good typing and a great moveset. A downside is that some of it's best moves are not available in Reborn yet, as we don't have access to the TMs, like Thunderbolt and Ice Beam. A good moveset is Water Pledge (until you got Scald) for STAB, Psychic for STAB, Power Gem for Coverage and Rapid Spin for dealing with Hazards. The last two can be changed for the TMs I mentioned plus Flash Cannon and Dazzling Gleam, depending on your needs.

Meowstic pulled a lot of weight for me when I first played Reborn, Female one to be more specific. But as people have already said, it loses its reliability as the game progresses, mostly because you get access to mons with better stats. If you want a support, Meowstic can really help, but I think there are better options for it (can't help here, not my playstyle). If you want more offense, the Female has a better moveset. I don't like to build a team with Psychic mons because they tend to be a little limited on their movesets, when it comes to coverage. Starmie can play the same role as Meowstic in your team, with better outcome.

Nidoqueen/Nidoking are very reliable mons, very balanced and stronger if you build with Sheer Force in mind. They suffer the same as Starmie in Reborn: the lack of TMs. Also I just don't like using they because they are slow 😞

Ampharos also have a good moveset, you have access to Signal Beam and later to Dragon Pulse. You should definetely get rid of Eletro Ball. 

For your reserves, I like Krookodile, Scolipede, Noivern, Roserade and Sharpedo. For Shapedo, I would go with: Agility, Liquidation (move tutor), Crunch and Psychic Fangs (this one you get through breed), Adamant Nature and Speed Boost as Ability.

Now if want any team to be the best, plan before trying to cover the most weaknessess you can with different moves and try to not repeat the same types, so you can get more STABs and so, more coverage. Also try to breed your mons for best IVs and good egg moves. EV training makes a lot of difference too. If you need help with these, there's a lot of information in the forum about it and I can help as well. If you want the easy way, I have all of the mons I suggested here ready to trade xD

See ya~

Nidoqueen/king actually don't mind the lack of TMs. They get Earth Power naturally and Sludge Wave pretty early, queen gets Superpower, Toxic Spikes and Crunch naturally, and Flamethrower and Surf are very viable options. Thunderbolt is also available now actually, just before Hardy.

For Sharpedo, I personally like a set of Waterfall/Crunch/Ice Fang/Destiny Bond, but Poison Fang, Psychic Fangs, Protect and Aqua Jet are good options too.

As an aside, I'm gonna go against the grain here since people are mentioning this: I wouldn't say Arcanine is a wasted slot with Blaziken. They perform very different roles and Arcanine is generally just better in doubles. (edit for clarity: not saying it should be a main member of the team but it's worth swapping in sometimes still)

I noticed you mentioned Hippowdon but I haven't seen a ton of people commenting on that. I just want to say that I ran a Hippowdon in my team for Reborn and he was absolutely INVALUABLE and one of the MVPs on my team/in rotation (And I have boxes worth of rotation mons). His sand stream comes in handy with dealing consistent damage as well as his ability to set up stealth rocks. He can learn slackoff for health regeneration, plus STAB Earthquake is always great! I also ran my team with Aerodactyl so the synergy between the two was fantastic. Plus he can learn moves like Crunch to deal with Psychic types which I feel like are pretty common throughout Reborns battles as their one of the more powerful types!