Fire Emblem on Forums: Tiny Steps (IC)

Powder Miner

Pinecone, as always, remained very stonefaced as the marauders appeared. Not only did Pinecone actually have no real idea as to what they really wanted, but he actually didn't have any emotional stake in this. All he knew was that these people were all in the way of him doing his job, and that was no good! Even if Stardust hadn't been barking orders, Pinecone was pretty sure that his orders were perfectly clear here.

fOVdAO7.png

"Understood! I won't be using my skull as that would be counterproductive, but I do have my trusty lance!" Pinecone draws his lance, raising it into the air in triumph and shouting a mantra before hurling it at the enemy. "For Her Majesty! For the Hierarch! For the General!"

Pinecone moves to D12, activates Guard+ for Stardust and anyone else in range willing to accept guarding, yeet javelin at Marauder B

• Replies 247
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

As the two bees move up, one in a panic and one with spirits high, the Marauders they're approaching comment. One of the two to do so is the nearest Marauder, a dark-haired wasp with a sword, in loose red clothing and unarmored, who grins as they approach.

"The first contenders! Well, little bees, what say we find out who comes out of this alive? A contest of blood!"

Around some of the grass, a fly with a bow peeks out, her expression one of pensiveness.

"I don't think these guys are from the Redoubt, funnily enough. I have a friend waaay up north -- those colors and the way they're acting are how he describes the bees from the Fields."

"Yeah, yeah, cool, whatever, let's just get those kills."

Pinecone attacks Marauder B!

Spoiler

Pinecone is extra buoyed by Stardust's Charisma!

Pinecone is a busy, busy bee!

Pinecone has the advantage of lances over swords!

Hit: 83+15+15+15-14=114, autohit!

Crit: 2-2=0, no crit chance!

Damage: 9+1-2=8

Marauder B cannot counterattack!

"Come on, buzzy, let's see what you've g--"

The first strike, and the first blood, goes to Pinecone. There's no fancy maneuvers involved in the scuffle that marks the first fighting of the mission, but perhaps even to an insulting degree; Pinecone simply walks up slowly and confidently, the Marauder obligingly remaining still as he has no intention of fleeing... and then he ignores the taunting swordsman altogether, an indignant expression rising to the wasp swordsman's face as instead the javelin sails through the air right past him and strikes the other swordsman instead, a red-haired (and currently not very happy) cockroach with dark clothing. And, with the wooden spear's head now embedded in his chest for a few seconds before falling out with a squelch, that dark clothing becomes rapidly darker.

"Oh shit, what the fuck, he went for me?! That's--"

"Hey, what the hell, asshole, ignoring me?!"

Map Notes:

Spoiler

Map Objective: Rout the enemy!

Grass tiles (including the ones with the dead grass, those are just there for visual variance) take the place of Forest tiles! Dirt tiles are just normal tiles. The grey overlay there is Stardust's Charisma range.

Spoiler

Players:

Ebon Knight: 18/18, Eq. Wooden Lance (Iron Lance)

Lotus: 16/16, Eq. Wooden Longbow (Iron Longbow)

Pinecone: 22/22, Eq. Wooden Javelin (Iron Javelin)

Stardust: 16/16, Eq. Lightning, Charisma+ Active!

Sting: 18/18, Eq. Wooden Rapier (Iron Rapier)

Recruit Bend: 17/17, Eq. Charming Flute

Enemies:

Marauder A: 18/18, Eq. Plastic Sliver (Slim Sword)

Marauder B: 10/18, Eq. Plastic Sliver (Slim Sword)

Marauder C18/18, Eq. Plastic Sliver (Slim Sword)

Marauder D18/18, Eq. Plastic Sliver (Slim Sword)

Raider A: 20/20, Eq. Wooden Axe (Iron Axe)

Raider B: 20/20, Eq. Wooden Axe (Iron Axe)

Pillager A: 16/16, Eq. Plastic Bow (Training Bow)

Pillager B: 16/16, Eq. Plastic Bow (Training Bow)

Pillager C16/16, Eq. Plastic Bow (Training Bow)

Looter A: 16/16, Eq. Wooden Dagger (Iron Dagger)

Looter B: 16/16, Eq. Wooden Dagger (Iron Dagger)

Looter C16/16, Eq. Wooden Dagger (Iron Dagger)

"Elite" Plunderer A: 21/21, Eq. Plastic Lance (Slim Lance)

"Elite" Plunderer B: 21/21, Eq. Plastic Lance (Slim Lance)

Shinywings: 22/22, Eq. Thunder

Seeker-of-a-Dignified-Death: 26/26, Eq. Plastic Hatchet (Hatchet)

Pinecone beams as he sees his javelin making its mark, having indeed completely ignored the marauder on his left as he did. He almost doesn't register the marauder practically yelling in his ear for a moment until he turns around and sees their fuming face.

fOVdAO7.png

"My apologies! I can only hurl one javelin at a time, and it was the most beneficial action as it causes me to take the least amount of damage so that I may keep my strength up! But I assure you that you'll get your turn to fight me soon! I have lots of work to do, you see!"

SkwoBok.png

Stardust covered her mouth and gasped a big gust of air after Pinecone skewered the cockroach.  "D-did he just... I-is that... blood!?" Her stomach felt queezy, like whatever she ate this morning was about to come right back out. She dug herself deeper into blades of grass and grasped them tighter than if she was hanging off a cliff.  "Pinecone! What in the queen's name did you just do! I said scare them off not brutally murder them! That man needs help! He's going to die! Oh by the queen, thats a lot of blood... I-I have some medicine on me. If you promise to s-stop and go away I'll give you some." She offered to the cockroach man with the spear in his chest.

The cockroach man wheezes out a pained laugh. "Little lady, I don't think you really understand how this works. We will be fighting to the death -- all of us."

Recruit Bend cringes at the whole exchange... and considering that he was already incredibly on edge from the fact that they were being ambushed by sixteen fucking people, this doesn't do a whole lot to reassure his mental state, all told.

gcNA68d.png

"Awww hell, aw hell aw hell, really?" Damn, she was even greener than he was -- way greener. "Hey, uh, bee lady... look... sometimes... uh-- fights just happen, okay? You gotta... well, you gotta at least not break the moment somebody gets stabbed..." Of course, the fight he had been in, he had been the one getting wounded first, but, well, that was just first-hand experience, right?

SkwoBok.png

"A-are you serious...? What do you even gain by robbing six people!? Are items on our backs really worth risking your lives over!? Or do you want to brag to your buddies that you killed six people by out numbering them!?" She was beginning to get hysterical. She turned back to her black ant ally,  "and its not 'Bee Lady'! I told you my name is Startdust! STARDUST! I don't get any of you! How can you all be okay with this, acting like killing someone is just a run of the mill thing to do!? "

The next laugh that comes from the heavily wounded swordsbug is a more voiceless and grim one, containing little mirth -- and it's wet. "That's not the point either, bee. I'm... not the one to explain it, I think. There are better people. More poetic."

It's only now that the smallest of the four figures present speaks of, a wiry moth with a knife, who had been remaining perfectly still, waiting for a chance to leap. "Don't make this into a production. Allow us pride in battle."

Recruit Bend, meanwhile, struggled to come up with a coherent answer, choking for a moment.

gcNA68d.png

"L- look- Stardust, okay- the world just isn't always a very safe place, even somewhere like the Scholars' Redoubt. Sometimes bugs just need to fight to defend the regions they're from, and some bugs just want to attack, okay? That's-- that's just how it is."

He shot a pleading look at Ebon.

Oh, Pinecone did look very confused when Stardust yelled at him. Not upset, just very confused. He was following orders, wasn't he? These people looked ready to kill them and it was his objective to defend them by any means necessary! Besides, wouldn't stabbing them through the chest with a javelin also work as "scaring them off?" Before he could clarify, however, their own enemies clarified for him and that ant guy in the armor started trying to talk as well. Satisfied that they had things handled, Pinecone turned his attention back to his objective; getting everyone to their destination safely!

Krimbug.png

Ebon grimaced as Stardust pleaded them to help the roach her brother had stabbed moments earlier. He was right. This really was the worst party they could have gotten stuck with.

Breaking down and crying at blood? On a battlefield? Much to what would be Bend's dismay, he had no idea how to handle this. Unwieldy recruits were very much not his area of expertise. So he was going to do what he usually did, and if it didn't work, she'd most likely be useless. But better useless than dead.

Directing Blackwing past her and landing in front of the roach, he stabbed downward with precision. Then he looked back at Stardust, though his face was expressionless through his visor. 

"We all have our own reasons for fighting, kid. They might need these supplies more than us. I don't know. I don't really care." he said gruffly, but softened for a moment at the next statement. "I need the money from this job more than they do." -his voice returned to his usual tone after this - "So they picked the wrong people to fuck with for getting in the way." That was all he could think of for the moment, and he nodded to Pinecone in hopes of understanding. At least he seemed competent.

D11 Stab Marauder B

"Haha, you're still not quite right, guy. But, well... I'm happy somebody is bothering to fight me close up, then. Let's fuckin' do it!"

Ebon Knight attacks Marauder B!

Spoiler

The Ebon Knight is extra buoyed by Stardust's (alleged) Charisma!

The Ebon Knight rides with a Crow's Zeal!

The Ebon Knight has the advantage of lances over swords!

Hit: 91+15+15-14=107, Autohit!

Crit: 2-2, no crit chance!

Damage: 11+1+2-2=12!

It's a swift and merciless strike that the cockroach Marauder promptly receives -- the loud caw of a crow sounds out, before the momentum of the crow and of the armored man sitting atop it ensure that the lance lands solidly and brutally in between the ribs of the cockroach. One stab was bad enough, but two bloody impalements is another thing altogether, and the swordsman's knees give out from under him, causing him to slide off of the armored mercenary's lance before finally hitting the ground. "Hah... hah hah... so be it, then. Thus goes... battle. The stronger lives, and..." As the bug's blood pools out under him, sinking into the loam, his voice falters, and then gives out entirely. The other three Marauders around him, even the shouty one, maintain a grim and respectful silence.

Marauder B has died!

Map Notes:

Spoiler

Grass tiles (including the ones with the dead grass, those are just there for visual variance) take the place of Forest tiles! Dirt tiles are just normal tiles. The grey overlay there is Stardust's Charisma range.

Spoiler

Players:

Stardust: 16/16, Eq. Lightning, Charisma+ Active!

Enemies:

Marauder A: 18/18, Eq. Plastic Sliver (Slim Sword)

Marauder B: -2/18, Eq. Plastic Sliver (Slim Sword)

Pillager A: 16/16, Eq. Plastic Bow (Training Bow)

Looter A: 16/16, Eq. Wooden Dagger (Iron Dagger)

EXP: 7/100

Miss Crash probably didn't mean to but the world has a way of making her a big liar. Sting couldn't help but grip tightly onto her wooden sword and glance at their attackers nervously. Not even she can be hyperactive forever. Marauders. She's heard of them before. The wandering life of a mosquito band wasn't always easy. Sometimes you cross paths with other bands who don't always see things the way you do. Always the grown ups were there to sort things out. Not here.

But Sting won't be afraid. She can't let herself be. Fearlessly and excitedly charging into the future and towards her own name and destiny, that was her. This might just be a little more serious than what she was used to, though. They were trying to rob them after all. There was just a hint of a nervous laughter in her voice, as she tried to psych her up.

ivRaM6n.png

"AHAHAHA! That must make you the bad guys! Well, guess what? Mister Bad Guy! That makes us the heroes! And heroes never lose! C'mon, Bendy! CHARRGE!"

There was the whoosh of an arrow overhead and sound of a flute and she was dashing through the forest of grass towards her foe, her little wings buzzing excitedly and her wooden rapier aimed right at her foe.

After Lotus moves:

Move to E13/D14 (doesn't matter), be danced by Bend to C13 and stab Marauder A (C12)

Lotus attacks Marauder A:

Spoiler

Lotus is extra buoyed by Stardust's (alleged) Charisma!

Lotus is an ambush predator!

Hit: 91+15+15-14=107, autohit!

Damage: 11-2=9!

Marauder A cannot counter.

Lotus' arrow strikes true, as with all of the party's efforts so far, and the swordswasp gasps as an arrow slams into his gut, before exploding into a profanity of storm and rage. "Augh! Fucker! These attacks from far away-- gods damn it-- will you fucking let me FIGHT YOU PEOPLE?!" (Behind him, the fly archer awkwardly fingers her bow.) Nonetheless, with that arrow shot into the second swordsman, he was starting to look awfully ragged, as was the front squad of the Marauders in general.

And, of course, they were far from done. Bend uneasily watched as Sting charged up at high speed, and then stared out with something of a resigned expression as she called on him to charge with her.

gcNA68d.png

"Yeah... sure, why not."

He lifted his flute to his lips and played a brief ditty, operating... mostly on a regimented rhythm, helping to organize Sting's movements and give her some of the cadence that Sting needed as an excuse to charge in as far as she could.

Recruit Bend refreshes Sting!

"There we go! At least let me go out in close quarters! That's the way I'm supposed to go! That's the way I'm supposed to fuckin' go!"

Sting attacks Marauder A!

Spoiler

Sting is extra buoyed by Stardust's (alleged) Charisma!

Hit: 86+15-14=87!

Hit roll: 71, hit!

Damage: 11-2=9!

Sting dashes up, a bundle of an energy much more nervous than she would like to admit, right into combat with the bleeding swordsbug... but nervous as her energy may be, it drives her to leap up and stab the other bug in the neck during her attack -- it's not as accurate an attack as some of the others that her comrades have struck out with, but it doesn't take a strike dead center through the neck to be deadly. The wasp clutches his neck as his footing falters under him and he crumples.

Marauder A is dead!

Watching this, the fly archer behind him lets out a half-hearted "Maybe you're the bad guys," as her hands shake on her bow.

The moth with a knife only mutters a "Tch." 

TURN 1 ~ ENEMY PHASE

There's moment of hesitation, from the fly woman shaking with a bow as she regards the party that just flawlessly executed two of her comrades. But she closes her eyes and speaks in a tone that indicates she's quoting somebody else. "Better now than to wither away..." She lets out a shaky breath, and visibly steels herself, before she scrambles just a few inches forwards and raises her bow, pulling it back and aiming at the Ebon Knight's bird.

Pillager A attacks the Ebon Knight!

Spoiler

Pinecone intercepts the attack with Guard!

Pinecone is extra buoyed by Stardust's (alleged) Charisma!

Hit: 109-15-3=91

Hit roll: 13, hit!

Crit: 3-1=2!

Crit roll: 86, no crit

Damage: 9-5=4!

Pinecone counterattacks!

Hit: 83+15+15-10=103, autohit!

Crit: 2-2, no crit chance!

Damage: 9-3=6!

The bird-riding mercenary hops backwards in response to the attack from the archer, just as a certain bee bulls forwards -- and the arrow's flight comes to a sudden halt as Pinecone's upraised arm literally slaps it out of the air, drawing a terrified squeaking noise from the archer. The effect, however, is spoiled as blood slowly drips down Pinecone's arm into the dirt; it turns out that knocking that arrow out of the sky had caused it to bury its point in Pinecone's arm. It's not an extremely deep wound, but it is a wound, and it seems to shock the archer out of her shock. "I drew blood! I drew blood! I--" her celebration is cut shot as a javelin nails her in the thigh, drawing a shriek from her. Still, Pinecone's return strike is also anything but a lethal strike, and the fly glares at him, reaching for another arrow.

"Hm." The other Marauder's move is much more silent, as the moth picks the exact moment of the archer's attack to slip in past both of the Redoubt-sent bugs currently fighting, the lithe figure darting in before Pinecone can even notice him and before the Ebon Knight can find any sort of opportunity to impede him -- and closing in on the mosquito girl hidden in the grass.

Looter A attacks Sting!

Spoiler

Sting is reckless!

Sting is in grass!

Hit: 100-15-15=70

Hit roll: 99, miss! //FUK

Sting counterattacks!

Hit: 86+15-11=90!

Hit roll: 79, hit!

Crit: 2-3=-1, no crit chance!

Damage: 11-1=10!

Despite the slick nature of his approach, the dagger-moth hadn't quite counted on the extent of Sting's nervous, slightly terrified, excited energy: the moment that the man reaches the edge of the grass, forced to halt lest his vision and movement be obscured and restricted slamming into it, Sting leaps backwards, and his dagger misses by an entire inch. Sting then leaps back forwards in a similar jerk of quick movement, and her wooden rapier doesn't miss -- in fact, it bites deep, the entire blade colored a red as the strike slams through the moth's dagger arm. "Shit."

Further afield, two bugs watch.

"They're getting chewed up out there... and not doing much about it. Should we do something?"

"No. Wait. We're not here to baby each other, are we?"

"...no, I suppose we're not."

TURN 2 ~ PLAYER PHASE

8ACjrc1.png

Map Notes

Spoiler

Status

Spoiler

Players:

Pinecone: 18/22, Eq. Wooden Javelin (Iron Javelin)

Enemies:

Marauder A: 0/18, Eq. Plastic Sliver (Slim Sword)

Marauder B: -2/18, Eq. Plastic Sliver (Slim Sword)

Pillager A: 10/16, Eq. Plastic Bow (Training Bow)

Looter A: 6/16, Eq. Wooden Dagger (Iron Dagger)

EXP: 18/100

Wow! That was a lot more blood from the wasp than she was expecting. A whole lot more! Were fights meant to be this bloody? How should she know? She's never been in a fight before. A whole proper fight!

Sting bounced back onto her heels after the stab at the wasp, glancing at the blood covering the tip of her rapier and only barely the mutterings of the fly archer. Sting simply giggled and laughed, trying to cover her own nervousness and inexperience with sheer energy and by simply babbling at a million miles per minute.

ivRaM6n.png

"Oh, I heard that! And I don't think so! You're the ones trying to rob us, not the other way around. I mean, you're Marauderers, right? You're lost! Veeeeery lost. This isn't Maraudererer-" Her babbling was interrupted by the dagger-moth trying to sneak up on her in the grass and missing. Sting simply bounced forwards and then back, this time with more blood on her rapier.

OgWOwDc.png

'Ha! Ha! Missed me! Try again!", she taunted, dancing around the dagger-moth with energetic bounces. She paused for a moment and then realised she forgot what she was going to say next and simply stabbed at the dagger-moth again with a simple "HAAAIIIYAAA!" Hopefully, with less blood and guts and corpses and icky stuff this time. Maybe she could try just knocking him out? Maybe? How should she know? She barely knows what she's stabbing at.

Move to B12 and Stab Looter A (C12)

Unlike many of his companions, the dagger-wielding moth refused to rise to the taunts and gibes of Sting, remaining silent, wounded but wary and on his feet.

Sting attacks Looter A!

Spoiler

Hit: 86+15-11=90

Hit roll: 51, hit!

Crit roll: 2-3=-1, no crit!

"Hrgk-" However, "wary and on his feet", as it turns out, did not mean "wary enough to dodge an attack". Whirling around through the grass to the other side of her foe, Sting lashed out at the bug that had tried to stab her. In what was half intention, as Sting found herself unnerved by all the blood and violence, and was half a clumsy and scared flail of her weapon as she turned, she powerfully clotheslined the moth in the neck with her sword... and because the weapon was a wooden rapier, it didn't cut him, but it sure as hell did drop him, gasping, to the ground. (Though Sting couldn't tell, if Ebon Knight looked, he would see that the bleeding man was in a state where he could either live or die, really.)

Looter A is dead(?)

Map Notes:

Spoiler

Spoiler

Players:

Pinecone: 18/22, Eq. Wooden Javelin (Iron Javelin)

Enemies:

Marauder A: 0/18, Eq. Plastic Sliver (Slim Sword)

Marauder B: -2/18, Eq. Plastic Sliver (Slim Sword)

Pillager A: 10/16, Eq. Plastic Bow (Training Bow)

Looter A: -4/16, Eq. Wooden Dagger (Iron Dagger)

EXP: 23/100

UgnoDA7.png

The tiny bee let out an echoing terrified shriek as she witnesses the life fade from two bugs in such quick succession. Paralyzed, she couldn't take her eyes away from the lifeless husks and the pool of crimson liquid slow spreading underneath them.  "They're... they're dead. Gone. I-is that what's gonna happen to me!? N-no! I didn't set out for this! I don't want this! I don't wanna die! I can't die yet! There's so much left to learn!" She tried to scream her panicked thoughts out but she could not force a peep to sound forth. It wasn't long before another bug thudding onto the ground... but wait! Is he still alive? He could be. If Stardust didn't want to die, she's sure that bug doesn't want to either! Without thinking or considering to consequences the teen hobbled over to the bleeding out rough with the knife. Getting on her knees  and taking out some medicinal ointment she tries to stop the bleeding. Even though he just tried to kill everyone moments earlier.  "Y-you can't die! D-don't you have something to live for?! Come on!" She just has to stop the bleeding! Stop the bleeding! STOP the bleeding!

Move to C12, attempt and fail to use Vul on Looter A, then reluctantly activate Charisma+

Pinecone was weirded out by the feeling of the arrow digging into his arm. He had immediately and instinctively went to block it, which worked... but then he felt pain. He had felt pain before, but not like this. Pulling the arrow out of his arm without care for the fact that it was just making the bleeding worse, Pinecone drew his javelin and silently went on the offensive with his optimistic smile fading into obedient neutrality as he, like many times before, ignored his sister. He also seemingly barely noticed the helpful flute playing that seemed to slow the bleeding just a bit.

Bend to E12, give sad healflute tweets to Pinecone

Pinecone to B11, Guard+ Sting and any other adjacent party members, toss javelin at Pillager A.

Krimbug.png

Somewhat bewildered at Stardust's attempt to heal the dying moth, Ebon shook his head and glided Blackwing around to the archer that tried to shoot them earlier. Dropping the reigns and letting the bird's momentum carry him, he raised his lance again and stabbed.

Afterwards the crow hopped backwards with a caw of satisfaction, and the knight once again turned to the bee. "You can't save him. Not with a wound like that and no real healer." he said, trying to sound as firm as possible. "So get up and fight or whatever it is you do, unless you want your end to be similar to his. Looters aren't going to show that kind of mercy." Luckily there didn't seem to be any more nearby, though that didn't seem like it would last long.

"Not that dangerous out there" they said, "Too cautious about inexperience" they said. If he got these kids through this job alive, he had some choice words for their employers. After payment, of course.

B10, kill Pillager A, Canto to A11

Lotus D11 - Shoot Pillager if Alive

Bend looked at Pinecone -- and then around at the Marauders in the immediate vicinity being rather efficiently obliterated, then at Stardust panicking, and then back to Pinecone... Bend sighed, and shrugged, before pulling out the flute again. This time, his finger rubbed on an inscription on the flute's body: magic, actually, as it was a magic flute he'd actually acquired from a merchant outside of his hive a couple years ago, and therefore his property, unlike the swords that the hive gave out communally to its soldiers. Now, as it turned out, he had near to no talent for magic, but everybody was doing so well that healing Pinecone's fairly minor wound seemed like the best course of action... though no potential path seemed terribly world-shaking.

gcNA68d.png

Tweeeeet. . .

Bend, uh... heals... Pinecone!

Spoiler

Healing: 4/2=2 HP...

The spot on Pinecone's palm where the arrow had dug in was still red and angry and sore, but he wasn't bleeding anymore, at least.

Thusly treated, Pinecone wordlessly advanced on the quivering fly archer, and she began to pull back on her bowstring at the same time that Pinecone's arm darted forwards, releasing its deadly payload in a clean arc right at the fly.

Pinecone attacks Pillager A!

Spoiler

Hit: 83+15+15-10=103, autohit!

Damage: 9-3=6

Pillager A counter-attacks!

Hit: 109-15-3=91

Hit roll: 16, hit!

Crit: 3-1=2

Crit roll: 66, no crit!

Damage: 9-5=4!

Both ranged attacks fired off successfully, and both hit their marks: Pinecone's javelin slammed into the archer's chest again, and this time it stuck in, leaving the poor girl with an entire javelin sticking out of her... but her padded clothing did appear to have prevented that javelin from being as deep as it could have; the end result was that she was still alive, but, well... "Aaaaah! Fuck! Ow, kuh, g-- aaugh!" she was not exactly happy, to say the least. At the same time, her arrow flew just after the javelin left Pinecone's hand... and then struck his now-empty palm, bouncing due to the odd angle of impact, but giving the armored bee an identical wound to the one that just got healed on his other hand. (Bend put his face in his hand, for a moment.)

The archer Marauder's woes were far from over, though, as a massive bird with an intimidating armored man landed down beside her, causing her to jump a few millimeters backwards with a short, high-pitched shriek...

Ebon Knight attacks Pillager A!

Spoiler

Ebon Knight is extra buoyed by Stardust's (alleged) Charisma!

Ebon Knight rides with a Crow's Zeal!

Hit: 91+15-10=96

Hit roll: 39, hit!

Damage: 11+1-3=10

...and that ended up being her last sound in the world, as it was quite promptly and savagely cut off. Once again riding in with the weight and speed of a flying crow behind him, the Ebon Knight dove in with wooden lance affixed in front of him -- and then his charge connected, with a bone-jarring thud that slammed the lance entirely through the archer's chest. A wet death rattle sounded and then the archer went limp, slain nearly instantly by the powerful blow. It had not even found any weak points or been expertly aimed, the strike, but when the target had been stabbed with two javelins and the strike was that powerful, well... it didn't really matter.

Pillager A is dead!

TURN 2 ~ ENEMY PHASE

The bugs a short distance up the bald pathway of dirt react to the demolishing of their brethren in differing ways. One cringes, one merely appears more resolute, one grins and takes on a combat stance, and another one simply nods and closes his eyes.

The bug that had cringed, a beetle axeman (and not, in fact, shirtless), spoke first: "Aw, shit, they're gone now, we really need to go forward and--"

Next, the grinning one, another bug with a dagger (this one a rather scarred-up termite): "Alright, our turn now! Let's g--"

Finally (as the one who nodded, a ladybug archer, had stayed silent), the resolute one (a butterfly swordsman without wings but with a dizzyingly blue-and-red outfit) spoke up, and loudly at that: "Shut up! You'll all get to do what you came here to do, but let's at least accomplish something with it -- let them move up a bit so we can at least terminate our charges into them!"

TURN 3 ~ PLAYER PHASE

JSByi6Y.png

Map Notes:

Spoiler

Spoiler

Players:

Pinecone: 16/22, Eq. Wooden Javelin (Iron Javelin)

Enemies:

Pillager A: -6/16, Eq. Plastic Bow (Training Bow)

EXP: 32/100

UgnoDA7.png

Oh no no no no! She's gonna end up dead here and that bird rider is right. Everyone on the ground is dead and there's nothing she can do about it. She can't join them! She won't join them! She quickly runs over to the armored flute player and grabs him by the wrist.

TsVcZlN.png

"You're coming with me!" She then drags the ant forward with her before stopping in front of Pinecone and adjusting Bend's position so his back would be to her and he would be facing the enemies. The tiny bee then proceeded to wrap a cloth with healing ointment around her brother's cut hand.  "Stupid marauders, throwing away their stupid lives just to kill us for some stupid reason." Once she finishes with that she points to the enemies ahead of them.  "Go stop them from harming me! But please try not to kill them!" Afterwards, she placed both hands on Bend's back, got behind him and peaked around his left side giving a sort of pouty face to the bandits.

1. Stardust to B10, Vuln her meat shield stupid idiot brother

2. Bend forceably to C10, serenade for Stardust

3. Stardust engage Aqua-ing (Charisma+)

Krimbug.png

Finally Ebon thought with no shortage of relief. It wasn't optimal, but at least they were all on their feet now.

He grabbed Blackwing's reigns again and prodded him forward, deciding to ignore the squeak about mercy as he passed. It wasn't worth arguing.

Eyes settling on the beetle with the axe that spoke earlier, he flew closer and thrusted with as much precision as he could before Blackwing glided backwards again.

A7, Poke Raider A, Canto A8

The first one of the variably-intrepid party to charge out in the direction of the heavily armed bandit foes, to make their presence known in the face of an old enemy deep in Redoubt territory... was Stardust, who charged out right in front of Pinecone, panicking loudly the whole time, and squeezing a cloth soaked with the juices of a finely-cut-and-pressed herb of some sort against his wound, causing the bleeding to slow and then stop, the cut cleaner and no longer painful. 

Stardust uses a Vulnerary on Pinecone!

Spoiler

Pinecone regains up to 10 HP!

Having been forcibly dragged along, Bend watched as Stardust fussed over the other bee in an unheeding panic, and then hid behind him, and he massaged the bridge of his nose moment... before tooting a sour note directly at her.

gcNA68d.png

"C'mon, let go of him and step back a bit."

Bend, uh, inspires Stardust! She can move again! (Which she does, to Charisma+...)

With that little farce out of the way, the Ebon Knight proceeded to actually go on the attack, his massive bird once again lifting off, in what was frankly just a hop -- but a hop on a very large bird can be quite intimidating.

"Oh, fuck, he's coming my way now! It's happening now, it's really happening!"

The Ebon Knight attacks Raider A!

Spoiler

Ebon Knight has a Crow's Zeal!

Ebon Knight's lance has a disadvantage against axes...

Hit: 91-15-3=75

Hit roll: 56, hit!

Crit: 2-2=no crit chance!

Damage: 11+2-1=12!

Raider A's attempt to counterattack is canceled!

Wham! Though the axe that the Marauder wielded threatened to give Ebon Knight a little trouble, with the crook of the beetle's axe positioned high to potentially be swung low and catch the lance, the crow rider ultimately found a way around that... stabbing low. The lance slammed brutally into the thigh of the enemy axeman, who let out a scream and tried to counterattack -- only to find his attempt rebuffed by the sheer bulk of Blackwing, the crow getting close enough to prevent the Marauder from really completing a strike, before hopping backwards at Ebon Knight's nonverbal orders. "AUG-- YEAH, HE GOT ME GOOD WITH THAT ONE, THAT HURTS."

Map Notes

Spoiler

Status

Spoiler

Players:

Enemies:

Raider A: 8/20, Eq. Wooden Axe (Iron Axe)

Pillager A: -6/16, Eq. Plastic Bow (Training Bow)

EXP: 36/100

77wgJEj.png
Lotus had always been the quiet type, especially around strangers. It had always been clear to Ebon she was never much of a bugsperson and the few years he expected she was living out in the forest before he had taken her under his wing... probably didn't help. She was always an excitable and shy one outside of the field of some sort of battle. She was always still as water in the hunt, and struck as swift as a razor wind. She was not the most skilled archer especially when the task at hand wasn't hunting. It'd not be inaccurate to say some of her skills transferred however given her current performance. The small mantis woman was as hard to see as she was to hear, shrouded in green leaf. Had it not been for the wisp of pink hair she might go totally unnoticed in their surroundings. She had a good sense of her own body and their terrain, and she had better given the strange wooden sandals she had donned. They messed with her center of gravity, and added a considerable amount to her height, something that would play havoc with one's sense of balance. The little mantis was... hard to read. She was a collection of clashing ideals and expectations. Many Mantis did not know how to take her, but they respected her skill with the bow and arrow and that she had always been one of their tribe's best huntresses.

D6y7Got.png

"Ebon... You shouldn't be so harsh with them. I understand they are pathetic... but they weren't brought up every day of their lives knowing them would fight like we did. Mantis don't lead the same lives as others. We are much more prepared, even as children. Give them some time, if they don't shape up they won't last long. Our example should suffice for now." She said as if scolding the large terrifying mantis riding atop the dark winged avatar of death. It was easy to conclude the two knew one another somehow, by the fact prior Ebon had done most of Lotus's speaking for her and now this.

Lotus kept walking past, her small wooden longbow in hands, swiftly knocking an arrow waiting for a time to strike. Her whole body tensed up as she drew back the string. A glimpse of the technique that got her far as a huntress. It didn't take long for her to find a shot afterwards, as she sent a spinning needle after one of the looters nearby.

Lotus uses Scold on Ebon, before moving to B9 and firing her longbow at Looter B

As always, Pinecone had pretty much nothing to say on the matter. He was eerily quiet, and would be out of place if it were not for Ebon's silence as well as he simply marched up forward, preparing to be the shield for his allies, as he prepared his javelin against one of the looters. A brief pause came to Pinecone before he threw it.

fOVdAO7.png

"Just following orders!"

Pinecone to B8, hurl javelin at Looter B, guard Ebon and Lotus

Bend had already being frowning by this point -- being dragged around by a small, hysterical bee will frankly do that. But Lotus' words, which he just managed to catch under the racket Stardust was now perpetually making, aggravated that frown, the ant's brows furrowing in frustration.  

gcNA68d.png

"Damn it..."

Meanwhile, of course, the battle continued, with the party from the Redoubt smashing into the Marauders with speed and violence. As both Lotus and Pinecone closed in on the knife-wielding termite, he laughed and let his grin widen dangerously, taking on a tight, tense stance, waiting to burst with energy. "C'mon, c'mon! I welcome you! Wasn't happy to have to wait in the first place because I cannot, I am ready, let's goooooo!"

Lotus attacks Looter B!

Spoiler

Lotus is extra buoyed by Stardust's (alleged) Charisma!

Lotus is an Ambush Predator!

Hit: 91+15+15-11=110, autohit!

Crit: 2-3=-1, no crit!

He quite promptly receives an arrow through the collarbone for his trouble, causing him to jerk violently for a moment and spit an incomprehensible jumble of mostly consonants. "Cpfakhhh!" The termite then shook himself, the arrow waving back and forth from where it was still lodged in him as he did. "Ahahaaaa! That was good. That was veeeeeery good. No-ho-how, let's see what else you've got to offer, huh? Come at me you big lumbering sumb--"

Pinecone attacks Looter B!

Spoiler

Hit: 83+15+15-11=102, autohit!

Crit: 2-3=-1, no crit!

Damage: 9-1=8!

The rather unhinged bug's ranting is suddenly cut off, as a javelin slams through his ribs. Yet, he doesn't immediately go down. "Just can't compete nowadays! Just can't compete with you crazy bee mantis fighting southern easterner southeasterner fighter people, can ya? Can ya? Can ya???He remains standing for several moments, scrabbling at the weapons lodged within his body before yelling and throwing his dagger away, not that it comes even close to hitting anyone -- and the motion brings him to the ground with a crash and a roar, after which the termite's fire and fury and volume drains away.

Looter B has died!

Map Notes

Spoiler

Status

Spoiler

Players:

Enemies:

Raider A: 8/20, Eq. Wooden Axe (Iron Axe)

Pillager A: -6/16, Eq. Plastic Bow (Training Bow)

Looter B: -2/16, Eq. Wooden Dagger (Iron Dagger)

EXP: 43/100

Seeing the coast was clear, Sting simply bounded out of her patch of grass and bounced towards the patch on the opposite side, humming lightly to herself and pointedly NOT looking at any of the fallen so far. It's all blood and guts and icky stuff and wow, are these bugs eager to fight.

Then again, not that eager seeing as they are having to come to them. What kind of robbers have to make the robbees come to them? Well, they are blocking the path. Kinda.

They did say all sorts of fun stuff, though. Are they having that much fun dying? Oh, hey. That last looter made a sound. A reaaaallly funny sound. Her favourite so far.

ivRaM6n.png

"Cpfahahah!", she imitated, bursting into a giggle before settling into a excited bounce on the spot and whistling loudly. Waiting's kinda bor-ing~. May be if she tried climbing some of these grass and using them as a slingshot to hurl a Sting Javelin Special. Wouldn't that be fun?

Hop on over to C9