How can i win the first gym with my current team?

Yoav1122

hello, im currently stuck trying to beat the first gym, i dont know strategies for this battle or anything at all.

i need a good place to level train my goldeen, and maybe to get new pokemon, but i dont know what pokemon at all!

and also, i want moxie but i dont know anything about abillities. lets go was my first game. yeah...

so if anyone can help, this is my team:

Braixen - level 17 - abillity: Magician - Moves: Scratch, Flame Charge, Ember, Howl

Meowth - level 17 - abillity: Unnerve - Moves: Scratch, Growl, Bite, Fury Swipes

Poochyena - level 16 - abillity: Run Away - Moves: Tackle, Roar, Sand Attack, Bite

Goldeen - level 10 - abillity: Lightning Rod - Moves: Tail Whip, Water Sport, Supersonic, Horn Attack

Tell me which pokemon to get rid of, and what to get, and which strategies do, everything you done to win the first gym, tell me!

Edited by Yoav1122

Would recommend writing down the moves of your pokemon as well, can't really help you like this 😅

As for a place to level up, the fastest would be either leftover trainers you didnt discover yet, or this place: image.png.76acb9c9d6e36a67f1ef85a19faf1b49.png its that place where a blond guy with Sandshrew and Diglett tried to stop ya

Step 1: evolve Poochyena

Step 2: ???

Step 3: Profit

You can also level up your Goldeen, since it forces stuff to stop using Charge Beam which is the biggest threat in this gym.

Roselia will absolutely destroy this gym if you grind out Budew's happiness; you can get a rose incense from a lady north of the Pokemon Center, then bring it to the far north of the area (just past the training spot above) and you should be able to grab the Budew on the upper ledge (unless it's raining, then it won't appear at all). Roserade is also just an awesome 'mon period so it's not a bad investment in general (though there's a case to wait a few gyms so you can breed one with Extrasensory and/or Spikes).

21 minutes ago, Seel The Deal said:

Step 1: evolve Poochyena

Step 2: ???

Step 3: Profit

You can also level up your Goldeen, since it forces stuff to stop using Charge Beam which is the biggest threat in this gym.

Roselia will absolutely destroy this gym if you grind out Budew's happiness; you can get a rose incense from a lady north of the Pokemon Center, then bring it to the far north of the area (just past the training spot above) and you should be able to grab the Budew on the upper ledge (unless it's raining, then it won't appear at all). Roserade is also just an awesome 'mon period so it's not a bad investment in general (though there's a case to wait a few gyms so you can breed one with Extrasensory and/or Spikes).

Actually Budew was removed from early, so you can't get him anymore.

2 hours ago, logintomylife said:

Would recommend writing down the moves of your pokemon as well, can't really help you like this 😅

As for a place to level up, the fastest would be either leftover trainers you didnt discover yet, or this place: image.png.76acb9c9d6e36a67f1ef85a19faf1b49.png its that place where a blond guy with Sandshrew and Diglett tried to stop ya

i have added the moves, thanks 🙂

Recommend leveling them up to 20, if you are too lazy just 18 is enuff, keep in mind that there is difference between SPA moves and ATK moves, Meowstick and Braixen are SPA attackers, Braixen gets a cool move on lvl 18 (Psybeam) definitely get it. I often clear first gyms with 3-4 pokemons so it shouldnt be hard, stock up on Super Potions if you can. If your pokemons will be too weak to beat her even on lvl 20 you can catch Trubbish literally in that alley I recommended for leveling, they learn Toxic Spikes pretty early, which can give toxic to mons that switch in, then you just stall and watch them slowly die... Hope this helps! 

3 hours ago, logintomylife said:

Actually Budew was removed from early, so you can't get him anymore.

It's still there, but only if the weather is clear or sunny.

Goldeen learns Water Pulse at lvl 16 I think, so if you swap it into a Charge Beam the Water Pulse will become stronger. It can easily defeat at least half of Julia's team

Edited by Edo

4 hours ago, Gentleman Jaggi said:

Braixen might be able to sweep by setting up to +6 with Howl and then Flame Charging everything. Just make sure not to die to Aftermath.

Could only happen on Oricorio, since Geodude goes boom and everything else has Charge Beam. And Oricorio has a strong, non-resisted high-crit move. Probably wouldn't go well

7 hours ago, Seel The Deal said:

Could only happen on Oricorio, since Geodude goes boom and everything else has Charge Beam. And Oricorio has a strong, non-resisted high-crit move. Probably wouldn't go well

The Plusle she throws out at the start is so weak that it should still work, unless it boosts itself literally every turn. I know I've set up on it before.