[IC] Waiting for Godot

Powder Miner

Azgrurk

"FINALLY, A BIT OF PEACE AND QUIET" Azgrurk muttered, louder than he should've, as he stomped onto the Weatherlight. He honestly needed his Boyz back. It would offer a good distraction from all this.

... But, he wasn't about to just throw some of his Boyz in a place that didn't seem hostile right now. Boredom started to screw with the chain of 'command', and he couldn't have that right now. Later, maybe. Regardless, Azgurk kept stomping through the ship as he made his way to the storage area. After his own tank got crushed, he needed to start working on some other quality Orky shootaz/choppaz.

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The boy, could he be the lynchpin? Something was at work here, something odd, and Ena thought it hinged on this boy they mentioned. "Well, thank you for telling me."

With that Ena walked away. The readings were wrong, quite a bit off, indicative of time manipulation. This was her element, but it would require investigating. In taking in the ambient sounds, Ena processed some of Kusuke's words. The man knew something of time flow? Ena approached to a point where she'd be able to catch everything said--not too close of course, her auditory systems were extremely capable--and listened, while checking through her logs.

At what point in the conversation had the shift in position and time measurements occured, or was it a gradual shift?

"Flux is like a layer of scum on the aura, a lingering taint that festers into magical equipment drawing there from.  Something tells me that's not how your golem normally acts?"

Tim sort of stares out into the horizon, squinting to see as far as he can.  He pondered if anyone else was in this place?  or if they would miss that portion of the skyline.

"You had something you needed me for?  I should be working on making dark matter, or infusing more artifacts."

Kusuke turned to reply to the two men for a moment, despite the increasingly apparent fruitlessness of getting anything out of them. "It would be hard to get worse than this man. I'll spare you the details of what he did, but it's horrible." He shivered slightly at the thought. It still had that effect on them. There was doing terrible things in order to chase a greater good, but that, that was just for curiosity. A thousand different ways to accomplish what he needed, and he did. . . that. He shook his head. Not the time to ponder the depths of the depravity of the One. 

The purple-haired young man refocused his attention on Satomi. "My Drive is a connection to the Azure. Or, well, something close to it. The Azure is a sort of ultimate power, deep inside the Boundary - I can explain the rest of that later. Tapping that allows one to affect the world, and each soul can do it in different ways, if it can at all. Mine lets me take steps I shouldn't be able to, through time and space. It also gives me a better perception of time as a side effect, but it felt like I was tumbling through it uncontrollably when I tried to take that step earlier." 

"I don't know what's going on here, and I really don't like it," Vitor mutters, standing around awkwardly, "It feels like we blundered into another magus' workshop, and whoever it is really doesn't like intruders."

"I dont really know what your talking about, but no. A Golem will usualy only act like that when a large amount of directed will starts overwhelming it and taking it over. Enchantments need a power source and many enchantments can be assumed to be powering themselves on the ambient mana. And mana contains the will of the soul that originated it."

"In other words a powerful will perhaps one present in the ambiance, or a directed group will is being absorbed and affecting him. Granted. Stoneheart here is a bit more vulnerable to that....
Kind of an early warning system now that I think of it. Hold on let me check something. I wanted to let you imprint some materials and produce some things for me so I could get to work on a few projects of varying importance but I need to make sure this won't be a problem for any equipment I need to assemble."

Leo checks the ambience using his other Golems, and also brings up his computer, tapping away and connecting to Stoneheart to see if he cant get a better look at whats going on 

Azgrurk

Azgrurk proceeded to... actually get a bit of peace and quiet, probably to his own surprise. Though the place outside set his senses tingling in a way that only Orks' senses could tingle, the inside of the ship seemed pretty much normal, at least as normal as anywhere else outside of his own home plane was. It seemed that while within the bounds of the ship, Azgrurk could expect not getting surprised, either welcomely or unwelcomely.

Ena

Looking back at her logs, Ena would find that things were worse than she thought; she couldn't actually find either a singular snap of time change or even a consistent gradiation of time warping -- instead, when she checked her log times, she found not only that the logs were completely inconsistent, no seeming pattern between the different times in her logs, but also that every time she checked them back over they had changed. The only things that were consistent about the times in her logs were the date, (which stayed the same and was "1", just "1"), and the fact that there was a forward motion in the passage of time, altogether.

Tim

Well, Tim at least didn't see anyone else who might object to the loss of a piece of the literally-entirely-horizontal-but-for-that-one-tree-and-the-rocks-by-those-two-crazy-guys skyline. It seemed like free real estate.

Vitor

As soon as those words left Vitor's mouth, he could feel the OMINOUS FEELING OF absolutely nothing besides the normal feeling here (even if that feeling was rather ominous and off-putting).

Kusuke and Satomi

Satomi fiddled with the many pieces of gear hanging off of or tied around her kimono as she thought, the nervous movements helping her focus and think. "Alright... if it's that you're connecting to some sort of realm energy from your home realm... are you sure that is what you are tapping into here? Perhaps instead of something interfering directly with your Drive, something is different about this realm, about its properties, which means that things interact differently with it. I am no Toritaka or Kuni, but I do know that things from other realms have their own magic rules and perhaps that means that other realms themselves may have different rules with which our magic or other abilities interact when we use them. ...though, of course, the possibility that the plane itself is hostile is one that can't be dismissed."

Leo

Leo, rightfully confused by Stone Heart's answer, checked on the ambient mana through some of the other golems, such as Frost Brute and the tiny jumping golem. But the answers he got seemed continued from Stone Heart's, even from golem to golem. "...ed in fire whose fire flames if that continues and who can doubt it will fire the firmament that is to say blast hell to heaven so blue still and calm so calm with a calm which even though intermittent is better than nothing but not so f..." "...ast and considering what is more that as a result of the labors left unfinished crowned by the Acacacacademy of Anthropopopometry of Essy-in-Possy of Testew and Cunard it is established beyond all doubt all other doubt than that which clings to the labors of men..."

Int check (done Shade style):

16 v 15

Leo's check into his golems' internal systems with his computer turns out to be a maddening venture. The golems' internal systems are all operating perfectly in sync with each other, but each and every external readout that they give out says something ridiculous or impossible, including of course those mana readouts. However, it's only the mana readouts which give such a specific result; every other external readout gives inconsistent answers or just-barely-bizarre ones, not a coherent string of text, and this is something shared between Golems. Leo does at least manage to figure out that nothing seems to be actively directing his golems; there are no changes in response to his checks, and every external sensor response but those mana checks seems to be aimless and random in nature, nothing directed at a single purpose.

Tim scratched his head and shrugged as Leo worked on his golems.  Finicky beasts he never had the patience for.

"Well come get me once you've got all that worked out.  I'll be down here."

He gestured to a patch of currently-but-not-for-long solid ground before pulling out a small charm and beginning the process of borrowing a large pit.

Tim uses his Gem of Eternal Density to mine a pit about a meter across with a reasonable gradient.  Once he reaches about three meters down he'll arch over the roof and start going fully underground.

Spoiler

Gem of Eternal Density: A dull grey gem that attracts simple matter into itself.

Can be used to absorb up to [Int]/2 meters^3 of low EMC material such as “generic earth”, “generic sand”, “generic stone”, or “generic gravel”, and add equivalent EMC to your Philosopher's stone.

Level 2: Now up to [Int].

Int: 8

Kusuke frowned, slowly shaking off the effects of his little jaunt (not that it helped how deeply unsettling the situation was.) "It's. . . hard to say. My explanation wasn't quite complete - using a Drive consumes seithr, or Magic Element. In lieu of that, it will burn off layers of your soul - which can be manageable if you don't do it much, but it's very dangerous to overuse. Especially since, as I've mentioned before with that snake, souls don't recover from deep damage like that without scarring. But, the point is, I can use it in a pretty self-contained way, and it hasn't been an issue so far." Finding sufficient seithr to use his Drive hadn't been an issue thus far; some places had more than others, but even in places where it was sparse, he hadn't had to use enough to cause anything more than some fatigue. "Though if this place has some sort of warped connection to the Boundary, that could affect things, I suppose. I've never heard of anything like that, but nothing is impossible." He thought for a moment longer. "Maybe we should ask him?" He gestured at Tim, who seemed to be doing something with what looked like a magical device of some kind. "If magic works differently here, then it should affect his, too."

Ena at this point, wandered over towards Kusuke, keeping careful track of her internal position measurements and gravitational field sensors as she approached. "Kusuke. You mentioned an enhanced perception of time? There are issues with a number of temporal measurements I'm running. Position anomalies--my location seemed to have shifted by approximately 33.1 meters--and temporal measurement anomalies, resulting in repeated changes of local time yet a continuous forward progression, never arriving anywhere."

". . .Beyond that the measurements shift when I look at them." Ena stated as a quiet afterthought. That had never happened before.

"Well, I can't tell anything at all, so you've actually got better information than me." So it wasn't him specifically. Unless Ena's sensors and memory had gone completely haywire at the same time his powers did - which he supposed wasn't strictly impossible, just less than likely - it was something to do with the time here. "There might be some kind of time loop here. That, and maybe. . ." He'd moved back hours instead of two seconds, and their movements were distorted as well. "Maybe, the fabric of spacetime here is. . . compressed, somehow. It would explain why moving around is giving such strange results, at least." It didn't explain everything, but perhaps the combination of that and a time loop were responsible for the strangeness. It would explain why the two men seemed to remember nothing, or remember conflicting events - they were remembering different loops, possibly mixing them together, and unaware that it was happening. "We should check the ship, and then invite them in there if things are more normal inside." 

Azgrurk

With the newfound peace and quiet, Azgrurk stomped into the storage area, taking a look at what had been gathered so far. Various crates, weapons... Some other boats for whatever reason. That was odd, but Azgrurk didn't pay much attention to them yet. However, while he looked around, he came across something that did catch his eye. Specifically, bits of metal that seemed to shift in appearance and state, like they were snapping at various points in time.

Odd, but that was nice. Azgrurk could use some unique materials to work with.

So, taking a good handful of the metals, and ignoring any potential damage to his suit, Azgrurk stomped off, swiping one of the small humie's shootas as he did so. The humies could use some Orky firepower, and who better to arm them than the Mek Chief himself?

Azgrurk will take one of the glocks from the storage, along with "5 timefucked metal fragments" and a similar amount of "timefucked gold fragments", attempting to upgrade the glock using the materials. Azgrurk has his perk backed-passive "We Orkz make deze thingz work!" to assist him in this, and he 0 Intelligence and 6 Essence.

We Orkz make deze thingz work!

Spoiler

“WOT YOU MEAN DIS ‘ERE SHUDN’T WORK? YA GOT A SCREW LOOSE IN DERE?”

As an Ork, Azgrurk has a stubborn belief on how things should work, even if they aren’t capable of doing so. However, sometimes… They just do. When Azgrurk believes something should be capable of doing something it can’t, an automatic roll is made using his Essence vs a DC (GM Discretion). If he succeeds, the thing in question is affected by what he believes it should be capable of doing.

Tim

Randomness Roll: 67, 7

It’s when he’s around four meters into the earth that Tim realizes there’s a rather serious problem facing him. Not too terribly long after putting the arch on the dirt “roof” over his head, Tim glanced backwards — and though the hole to the open air WAS there, instead of a tiny little bit of neat staircase leading back up, somehow it had transformed into one of those mysterious Escherian illusion staircase things that go up and up in a single square eternally but never go anywhere. It hurt his brain to look at, but it was frankly kind of impressive, though he had absolutely no idea what had happened. It would probably be difficult to actually cross, though.

Azgrurk

Goggy Crafting Roll: 17 vs 15
Quality: 27
Random Bitz: 70, 100 OH FUCK
Essence: 5+5 vs 1

Azgrurk found himself unusually deep in thought. There were actually quite a few things that these strange mostly-humies had stockpiled in their ships, and looking at the sheer magnitude of the materials in the area, Azgrurk couldn’t help but find it kind of a waste. So many amazing things that the humies could be making... but they didn’t appear to be doing so. Well, Captain-General Azgrurk was just going to have to show them how Orks did things. Azgrurk scooped up several pieces of the rapidly-altering metal, both gold and steel, and stomped out from the bus to the more open areas of the world, to do his work. He dumped his materials on the ground, and lapsed into clear concentration, observing the time fragments and the gun in turn, and then slowly, deliberately, got to work.

Kusuke and Satomi

Satomi lapsed into thought at the words of her time-traveling friend and of the metal lady. ”I don’t think it makes sense for it to be any sort of even compression of space, at least by consistent measurements. It seems kind of strange that whatever movement you were trying to make earlier almost rammed directly into me, Kusuke, a bit of an odd coincidence, and that her recorded measurements change. I think maybe whatever’s going on, and the feeling kind of gives me this hunch too, is something more unsta—

Everyone

Anybody who happened to be watching Azgrurk would see him slowly take his arms and just roughly but pensively sweep a collection of the timefucked metal fragments and one of the pistols from the bus together. Then, they would see several glocks suddenly sprouting outwards from the original, gold and steel glocks, stacking atop each other as they rapidly multiplied and multiplied until they created a seven-foot-tall humanoid form, made entirely of glocks that shifted and self-destructed and created more glocks anew. It stretched its limbs out—

—and EVERYBODY, including Tim from his underground position, heard an absolutely deadening cacophony of gunfire, as tens of guns fired and fired and fired and in fact never stopped firing holy fuck the GUNSHOTS they are absolutely everywhere there are so MANY they are so LOUD. Somehow, the many many many Glock bullets all being fired managed to miss everybody: though there were a few close calls, not one so much as grazed skin, even if the portlier of the two men on the rocks, Gogo, got a nick in the rim of his bowler hat. The GLOCKMAN stood at attention and looked up at Azgrurk, bullets still flying fucking everywhere but still missing everyone and everything the group cared about.

”WHAT IS GOING ON”

”SOMETHING NEW”

”YEAH”

Azgrurk has gained a minion! If Goggy doesn’t want it, someone else can claim it, and otherwise I will be in charge of it.

Spoiler

Name: GLOCKMAN

Sex: GLOCKS

Race: GLOCKS

Appearance: A roughly seven-foot-tall, broadchested collection of steel and gold Glocks, rapidly fluctuating with Glocks shifting around, deconstructing and reconstructing themselves. Also, all of the Glocks are firing, always firing, the firing, it doesn’t stop, the bullets, oh God, oh fuck, oh shit. At least they never seem to commit friendly fire.

Personality: ...Glocks? It can’t talk, and seems just interested in carrying out commands. It may not actually be sentient.

Perk: THE FUCKING GLOCKS HOLY SHIT: Every turn, at its initiative, GLOCKMAN does 1d6+[Dex] damage (rolled once, same result for each enemy, RES still applies) to 1d[Dex] enemies.

Flaw: Inherently Unstable: GLOCKMAN does half of the damage it dealt to enemies after RES to itself.

Ess: 0

Con: 4

Dex: 7

Int: 0

Res: 0

Str: 0

Syn: 0

IT’S LITERALLY JUST GLOCKS (Passive): When GLOCKMAN hits 0 HP, it collapses into a pile of inert normal and Golden Glocks, and requires a reality-altering effect to repair.

Weapon: GLOCKHANDS: Does 1d6+DEX damage to two enemies.

Azgrurk

Azgurk would admit, he wasn't expecting the result he had gotten. But, when he combined the fragments and the glock together, mostly by haphazardly slapping the fragments together, and watched as it began to multiply, the Ork took a step back, mostly to watch what would happen. And, as it started to rise, a slightly more confused expression came to Azgrurk's face, before being quickly replaced by excitement, heightened even further when the creation stood at attention, and began firing every single glock that had been made.

For Azgrurk, the symphony of gunfire was barely reacted to. After all, he had spent his life in war, and there was far more than a bunch of small arms being fired at the same time in a war with Orks. But, upon seeing his work, Azgrurk merely turned to the rest of the group, looking rather proud of himself as he gestured towards his new soldier, "AND DIS 'ERE IZ ORKY ENGENEERIN'" he stated bluntly, still unfazed by the gunshots going off right next to him.

"Hey, Leo," Vitor approaches the resident mad wizard, having thought of something to take his mind off how weird and uncomfortable this place feels, "Did you pick up anything else interesting in Terraria, besides that sword I mean?  I might be able to tell you more about them with a psychometric reading."

After jumping a little and reaching for snow following the beginning of the hail of gunfire made him turn to look, Leo merely looked appraisingly and inquisitively at the GLOCKMAN, While covering his ears. Having instantly realized it was just a new minion made by AZ he is shockingly calm and now nonplused even as the bullets fly by, bothered only by the noise itself, and the concern that the sound might get in the way of delicate spellwork in progress and reduce concentration.

"Hey thats pretty cool, but could you turn the firing off? Its a little loud and it might be hard to work with that going on."

Once Vitor came over he stopped observing the endlessly spewing hail of gunfire he turned to look at him

"Well, I don't think I picked up any other artifacts. Useful matrials definitely, but nothing really relic-y. I did find some old records in that weird magic bookshelf on the ship though. Something written by some guy named Gilgamesh? It described various relics and how to use them, along with being full of really high level techniques. Kusuke translated it for me."

Leo pulls the records out and hands him the book

"Right now the techniques are out of my league, but Its gives me ideas. Made an enchanting ritual based on one of the relics it talks about"

As Tim begins the process of burrowing into the earth motes the same color of the soil he was disintegrating quickly started flying into the dull grey gem in his hand.  Noticing Kusuke's comment Tim takes a sideways glance in his direction while working.

"Hasn't done anything yet, but we're about to find out."

A few moments later and he slowly descended into the earth until he was well over his head.  Eventually he spoke up again, turning to quickly announce nothing was wrong and stopping himself mid-thought.

"Well that's... Can't say that's ever happened before."

A couple more moments of pondering later and he spoke again.

"My magic works fine, but I'm staring into a spacial anomaly, I'm going to try and dig around it."

And dig around it he does, Tim uses he Gem of Eternal Density again to try and dig an alternate escape tunnel that doesn't involve warped looping spaces.

"Gilgamesh?  The First Hero?  On my world at least, the only Gilgamesh I know of is an ancient king, the main character of the oldest story to survive to present day," Vitor explains, "If I could have a look at that...  Well, assuming it was written by the actual King Gilgamesh, I might be able to make something of it."

If Leo's okay with it, Vitor will attempt to use his Psychometric Reading to read the book's history and see if it can be used to create an Emulated Phantasm.  Should it qualify, he will use it to create an Emulated Phantasm.  Having heard stories of the last Grail War, he's perhaps a bit too eager to get access to some Gilgamesh Power.

"I'll check inside the Weatherlight. If it is normal there, would it even be safe to move these two men in there? Perhaps humans living long in this unusual spacetime might not be accustomed to what we have, or if they are in some way connected to the anomaly rather than merely its victims. . ."

Ena waited for a response, before heading into the Weatherlight to run the same suite of diagnostics and measurements that she had outside.

After letting out a startled curse at the cacophony of gunfire, and taking a moment to try (and mostly fail) to get used to the racket, he responded to Ena, voice pitched up to be audible over the noise. "I'll come with you. I want to test some things too, and we can talk in there, at least." He glanced at Satomi. "You coming?"

Azgrurk

With a slightly annoyed grunt, Azgrurk waved his metal arm at the GLOCKMAN, "ALRIGHT, TONE DA DAKKA DOWN A TAD" he shouted, quickly losing his own interest in his new 'weapon'/crew member as he stared out into the distance, pondering what he could start working on next. Maybe he'd have to take a look at the supplies in the ship...

• 2 weeks later...

Tim

Randomness: 99, 10

Deciding that he would rather not, in fact, attempt to navigate back up from under the ground through a life-size piece of Escher, Tim elects to use his gem in order to dig around and get back to the surface. This time, Tim is significantly luckier, significantly luckier indeed: no circular staircase nightmare makes his life difficult, and the mage is very easily able to make his way up to the surface. Right as he is about to make his last bit of staircase, though, he notices a bit of material in the wall, and identifies it as constantan. Pulling it, he finds that there's a sizable rod of the stuff in the dirt, and continuing to pull it takes the rod to the point where any further length would have meant the material intersected into the hole -- and then he manages to keep pulling, the rod continuing to come out, but the new section of rod now being made of osmium. The whole thing ends up rather like a magician pulling knotted scarves out of his glove, and pulling and pulling and pulling: before Tim's eyes, by the end, the finally twenty-foot rod reveals sections of diamond, and microcline, and what may actually be pitchblende.

Tim gains the Rod of Constantan, Osmium, Diamond, Microcline, and Pitchblende!

Vitor

Randomness: 25, 40

Chances were that the Brazilian mage-historian was going to be disappointed: he most certainly wasn't getting the magical powers of Gilgamesh. Actually, though, it was rather bizarre: reading the book's history revealed pretty much the history of Gilgamesh that Vitor would have expected, but at some point during the process of creating an Emulated Phantasm, it seemed that the bizarre particularities of the world interfered with the way that his magic reached out across dimensions to attempt to draw upon the history of the world of Gilgamesh, and what Vitor got was a book written in strange scripts and graphs -- the more he looked at it, the more he simultaneously began to understand and not understand. It twisted his mentality to consider: with more thought came understanding that the book held a sort of symbolic resonance to superior technology, which would allow him to shut down a technological device, but he also found his own mind ceasing to think in normal ways, but instead in references and allegories. It was something Vitor seemed fully capable of tearing himself out of, but it was probably still a bit frightening.

Gear: Tamarian Captain's Log (level 1, perk-backed):

A book full of strange graphs and glyphs, something about this twists the mentality of the person focusing on it, causing them to think like a strange alien race instead of in the ways they normally operate in. It is symbolically tied to technological power, which has manifested as the ability to jam a technological device -- but at the cost of speaking only in allegory. Vitor can disable a single technological device that is not perk-backed as long as this is equipped, inside or outside of battle. However, as long as it is equipped and/or being used, Vitor can also only speak in situational allegory and reference instead of in sentences, and automatically fails any action that requires otherwise.

Trump: Picard and Dathon at El-Adrel  (Trump, level 1, perk-backed, magecraft):

The bizarre aura given off by the piece of gear Vitor received from his attempt to emulate Gilgamesh's power is not only one of technological superiority, but also one of cooperation and friendship, even at the cost of his own power. Once per Battle. Vitor can allow somebody to use a Once per Battle Trump again, however, doing this prevents Vitor from using any further Once per Battle Trumps during the combat in question himself. Tied to the Tamarian Captain's Log.

Satomi, Ena, and Kusuke

"Um, yes, sure, let's go! It would be useful to see if the ship gives us a safe base away from all of these strange effects with location and time!" Satomi shouted over the gunfire, nodded sharply and followed the physics-breaking bounty hunter and the physics-enforcing robot into the ship -- all three (but especially Kusuke, of course) immediately noticed that re-entering the ship quelled the feeling of unease that came from being out in that world. In fact, to Kusuke, the sudden lack of disorientation and the comfort coming that suddenly back might have been a shock! As for Ena, she got some amount of likely reassurance from the fact that her sensor readings all checked out with each other inside of the ship: space measurements were normal and consistent with time, and speaking of time her timestamps came back at the proper scale.

"That's... better. What did you want to test, Kusuke-san?"

"Well, first I want to make sure my Drive works right again. I'm already feeling better about it, but might as well make sure." Kusuke thought for a moment. "I also want to try bringing one of those men in here, see if that clears their heads up. I can't imagine living in a place with distorted time and space like that is healthy, so maybe taking them out will help. We should also test what happens at the boundary of it." He nodded, and gestured to Satomi to give him a bit of space before testing his powers as he did so before.

"Everything is 'normal' in here. At the very least, we have a safe haven to retreat to if necessary."

At Kusuke's suggestion, Ena considered for a moment.

"Kusuke, you must be very careful to be ready to place them back outside if they suffer ill effects. Who knows what living long in this world has done to them? And possibly, they may bring the distortion with them. I do agree that you should do it though."