Fire Emblem On The Forums: Excalibur Infernus [IC]

Aurorix

Ari had been about to reply to Juliett when the meeting was interrupted once again. And he. Was. Delighted. This was wonderful. This woman was clearly the sort of person that he needed to stick around, especially if she ended up staying with this group. But all the others were being annoying again. Except Juliett. He liked her too. This was simply unacceptable though. Grumbling about having to be serious, he nodded to Juliett.

NIBLZUG.png

"I'll be right back, don't worry."

Walking up to Nicolos, he crossed his arms and scowled at the man.

"I thought you were gonna be fun, but here you go having to be foolish. Here's the thing. You need to learn to adapt better. Two strange people show up wanting to fight for you and you want to throw them out or kill them just because you didn't personally recruit them? Come ooooooon. Even I know you gotta be better than that! You wanna be king, right? You gotta be able to reach the strange ones, the ones on the outskirts of society, the ones no one else pays attention to! Like me and spider lady over there! Second, you really wanna start off your adventure with, what, three other people? You're not gonna be able to change things if you die to a buncha Cursed. You need numbers! Are you really going to be stubborn and refuse help just cause you didn't invite us in? Psh. PSH! I'm a strong mage and she clearly is too if her entrance says anything. Don't be dumb!

And finally, look at us. We're wild people! We know the land way better than you city folk. We're gonna be able to get you all sorts of places you wouldn't be able to get otherwise. Unless you're just gonna sit around in towns waiting for someone to get scared and report you. You gotta hide! We can help with that! ... Besides, she can control the weather! You really gonna turn that down? Just think of how many pra-- err, the strategy you could do with that! Make your enemies miserable, bring rain to farms that need it and get farmers on your side? Plus it's so cool! Come oooooon, just let us stick around~"

• Replies 128
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

52 minutes ago, Swordstar said:

NIBLZUG.png

"I'll be right back, don't worry."

Juliett_what.png

"Oh..."

Not that she doesn't like him, necessarily, but... this is definitely not what she had signed up for.

Standing near the wall to put some physical space between herself and the confrontation going on not several meters away, she lets out a long breath through her nose and observes quietly. It isn't unreasonable for Nicolos to be frustrated; she'd be, too, if two really peculiar people showed up at an important meeting she was holding and tried to force themselves into it. There was no way of knowing if these two had any actual interest in the cause, either.

On the other hand, Ari makes some good points too, especially about manpower. She's glad she's not in Nicolos' position right now. She looks over at him to see what he'll decide.

5CoweGT.png

"Hmmmmm..." The boy did bring up some valid points. I suppose he did make the group rather small in number, and the others on his list wouldn't make the cut in his eyes. I guess, in a way they did prove themselves. The half-fae was able to sneak in and shown at least some control over his magic and while he can't prove it was the cursed woman who made the storm so does seem to have enough of a reputation to have people flee from her. Whether that reputation was for a good or bad reason he doesn't know but honestly reputations mean nothing next to actions. Well if he can give them anything it's enthusiasm, that's for sure.

JRiR7QT.png

Nicolos lets out a sigh. This feels like it's going against his better judgment, but something in his gut is telling him to bring them along.

2pcMlWu.png

"Fine, you can tag along for the test as well. Just... please at least knock on the door next time, alright?"

...Right. Well, if he's sure he wants to do this then she supposes it's his call, after all. It's not as if they're overstocked on manpower in the first place, anyway--that much Ari is unfortunately right about. And, as long as Nicolos has given the okay on them being in on this meeting and this little squad he's trying to put together, then...well, honestly that was more or less the main problem she had with them. Ari, at the least, still seems like he's going to be irritating, but whoever the Cursed woman is, the Absurdian Spider or whatever, seems...well, eccentric. But she'll probably be fine.

She lets out a small sigh and closes her eyes, trying to relax herself. Her sister did say she was too serious sometimes, after all. By the time her eyes open she seems a bit more...mellow.

DOlZ78w.png

"...So, I guess we're working together, then. Fair enough. Did you two crash the meeting in time to hear what we're actually doing, or do you need a refresher?"

7Q3YCxs.png

"Alright well, we'll conclude this meeting here then. All who wish to join meet get what you need and meet at the southern gate by noon. We leave immediately, all who don't show up are assumed not coming. " With that Nicolos leaves the room and so too do the servants lead everyone out. 

At the gate, the sun has reached it's highest point and beats down harshly with the aid of the humid marsh air. By that time everyone who was in the briefing room is now at the gate, armed and with the supplies they need.

EOJDD2R.png

"Well, this is reassuring, I had feared someone wouldn't show up. Oh, and by the way, Vivi is already on her way towards out meet up point. She had business somewhere more west but insisted on joining us. If you don't already know her, she was one of Merlin's apprentices but she has chosen to go against her master. I can say she is trustworthy and will be of great help. Enough wasting sunlight though, lets head out!" The rag tag group then made their way south west. Hopefully traveling will be somewhat quite at some point.

8th of Second Heat

You all reach the meet up point by the crack of dawn. It seems to be the ruins of some town, it's probably been like this for some years as moss and plant life have begun to grow around and into the remains. It has many bridges over lakes and flowing waters as they have built in a rather flooded area of the marsh. Nico has seemed very quite for the entirety of the time in this place. You search all around yet Vivi is no where to be seen. A couple hours later and still no Vivi, however you do hear something. It's the cursed swarm, and they have finally have come to this point.

7Q3YCxs.png

"Gods, the swarm's bigger than the scouts had told us. Could they have attack some folks along the way? Dammit Vivi, out of all the times to be late! We have no choice, everyone combat positions! We'll stop 'em here!" Everyone then rushes to the edge of town to stop in imposing force.

5CoweGT.png

However, Nicolos stops for a brief moment and scowls at the nearby house with a slight frown. He shakes his head not a few moments later and gets into a combat position.

unknown.png

Win Condition: Route the Enemy

Loose Condition: All Allies are defeated

Map Start!

EXP: 0/100
Cheat Sheet:

Infernus:
Arissell (HP: 21/21) - Wind (40/40) | Vulnerary (3/3)
Brinda (HP: 18/18) - Worm (40/40) | Vulnerary (3/3)
Galen (HP: 20/20) - Slim Sword (40/40) | Vulnerary (3/3)
Juliett (HP: 18/18) - Slim Lance (40/40) | Vulnerary (3/3)
Nicolos (HP: 23/23) - Excalibur Infernus (--/--) | Vulnerary (3/3)
Owena (HP: 20/20) - Hatchet (40/40) | Vulnerary (3/3)
Vivianne (HP: 19/19) - Heal (30/30) | Vulnerary (3/3)

Enemies:
Archer A (HP: 20/20) - Iron Bow (40/40)
Archer B (HP: 20/20) - Iron Bow (40/40)
Fighter A (HP:22/22) - Iron Axe (40/40)
Fighter B (HP:22/22) - Iron Axe (40/40)
Fighter C (HP:22/22) - Iron Axe (40/40)
Fighter D (HP:22/22) - Iron Axe (40/40)
Myrmidon A (HP: 20/20) - Iron Sword (40/40)
Myrmidon B (HP: 20/20) - Iron Sword (40/40)
Myrmidon C (HP: 20/20) - Iron Sword (40/40)
Myrmidon D (HP: 20/20) - Iron Sword (40/40)
Shaman A (HP: 19/19) - Flux (40/40)
Shaman B (HP: 19/19) - Flux (40/40)
Shaman C (HP: 19/19) - Flux (40/40)
Shaman D (HP: 19/19) - Flux (40/40)
Shaman E (HP: 19/19) - Flux (40/40)
Soldier A (HP: 22/22) - Iron Lance (40/40)
Soldier B (HP: 22/22) - Iron Lance (40/40)
Soldier C (HP: 22/22) - Iron Lance (40/40)
Soldier D (HP: 22/22) - Iron Lance (40/40)
Large Cursed (HP: 30/30) - Flux (40/40)

Vivianne_mug.png

And from the tree line emerged a hat; and a person under the hat of course because hats do not move by themselves. "I'm sorry I'm late... Oh goodness I haven't run so much... Ever..." The girl managed to say, in between heavy breaths. "But! The show must go on! And with I, the great and wondrous Vivianne here to assist all of you, you are in safe hands!" 

Well, the meeting...certainly hadn't gone anything like she'd expected it to. It's not like it was the most horrible unexpected surprise you could have, though, so....she supposes it's fine. She'll leave them to decide if they're coming or not--she has some last-minute training to get in.

When the morning comes and the meeting time arrives, she's there a little early--the opposite of her usual timing. But, then again, this was kind of a special case. She does rankle a bit when he mentions that the person joining them is to be one of that old fart Merlin's former apprentices, but...if she has truly defected then she'd be invaluable to the cause. And if Nicolos so readily trusts her then she supposes she should probably put her misgivings aside for now. For now.

And yet, she manages to be late. ...Given her own less-than-stellar habits on punctuality, she supposes she has little right to complain on that front. But as the swarm of feral cursed comes up over the horizon, she still can't help but think that it's a flaw she really wishes 'Vivi' didn't have. She's toying with her axe, preparing herself physically and mentally for the task ahead when Vivi finally emerges from the forest.

...Huh. She's actually kind of cute.

There's no time for that, though. There are more important issues on the horizon, bearing down on them with all manner of weaponry. With one hand, she pulls up her hood and glances backwards.

pxIkk0e.png

"Somebody, come with me to block off that bridge to the west. Take the trees for cover, I'll see if I can't get the spearman's attention."

A short sigh escapes from her lips soon afterwards. This...still isn't exactly the most pleasant job in the world. But the people coming at her right now don't look to be in a mood to negotiate.

Owena to J8, throw an axe at Soldier A. Nicolos to J7 and hold his position.

Juliett_shade_talk.png

"Calm— calm down, will you? Fucking— crazy little—..." 

She's been wrangling with the stallion since they started traveling. He's a large animal, muscular and daunting, larger than even most other stallions, and he seems to know it. For better or worse, horses have always been keen sensors of social atmosphere, and Iba has always known the particular tension of a battle on the horizon without having to be told. For days, he's been restless, ears forward and tail high, and Juliett knows by now the signs that he's going to be a handful. He never disappoints.

The moment their enemies show up, peeking out from the shadows of the marshland trees, she doesn't have the time to think about how she feels regarding this mission. Her hands are full just getting into the saddle and gathering the reins from Iba's straining and stomping, flapping wings beating impatiently at the air as though to say 'aren't you ready yet?'

Juliett_really_done_talk.png

"Okay, okay, there, I'm in, now— ah!"

Someone bursts from the trees to her right and Iba, without her command, pivots around and rears with a shrill neigh, front hooves lashing out just a few feet from the woman who arrives to join them. "No! No, Iba, stop that right now!"

This... is Vivi? The ally Nicolos had said was going to join them? Spirits, and Iba had almost planted a hoof in her face.

Juliett_talk.png

"I'm so sorry. He's riled up. Please—" Another yank on the reins to reel him back, "—forgive him. Iba, this way, you lug." The pegasus' ears flatten briefly in apparent displeasure at the insult, but he's more excited to see battle again, and takes to the air at Juliett's command.

K6 and Hold.

Owena throws her hatchet and it leaves a big gash across the cursed

Soldier A is Daunted by Owena! (-5 Hit/Eva/Crit)
Owena has the advantage! (+15 Hit/Eva, +1 Damage Dealt, -1 Damage Taken)

Owena
Attack: 6
Hit: 97
Crit: 5

Soldier A
Attack: ---
Hit: ---
Crit: ---

Owena attacks! 12 Hit! 1 CRIT!
Soldier A takes a massive 18 damage!

2pcMlWu.png

"I'm right behind you Owena!" Nicolos followed behind the Dragonborn, silently relieved that Vivi made it in time.

EXP: 2/100
Cheat Sheet:

Infernus:
Brinda (HP: 18/18) - Worm (40/40) | Vulnerary (3/3)
Owena (HP: 20/20) - Hatchet (39/40) | Vulnerary (3/3)

Enemies:
Fighter C (HP:22/22) - Iron Axe (40/40)
Soldier A (HP: 4/22) - Iron Lance (40/40)
Large Cursed (HP: 30/30) - Flux (40/40)

Despite knowing what task lay ahead... Brinda couldn't help but feel sorrow for those she was about to have a hand in striking down. She knew it for the best... after all in their current mindless state they only spread the plague or take the lives of others out of reasons that amounted to nothing but instinctual hatred. She saw their piteous state many times before in even in the border of the Knifewoods. After all only the mindless would be daring enough to make such a perilous journey into the cusp of a haunted forest. She'd driven them away not using lethal force unless necessary. After all... had they passed further than her they'd meet a much less merciful fate in the talons of dragons.

The witch closed her eyes focusing for some purpose, a means of setting things right. She'd give the rites of these now nameless children of the Mother Nature. She'd etch their memory within herself as no one else would be able to recognize them. "Dear benevolent Mother, on this day more of your nameless children shall be sent home. The world of man cast them out, the dark curse of the land stripping their names and warping their corporeal form. Greet them as you would your other children as they once more reunite with the earth. Within somewhere they are still your children, the men and women they once were before everything was taken from them. Mourn with me Mother, grieve those who shall never be grieved for. Their families lost to them it falls upon us, those lost to the world of humanity, to honor them. Now is a time of quiet mourning for you Mother as l exercise the only mercy currently known. By my hand they shall be remembered, they shall be honoured, they shall be given peace. l cannot speak for the others that share within this most unfortunate task but l hope they hold in their hearts the same sentiments as l. Gentle Mother your lost children's suffering shall end as once more you my embrace them." a prayer unwavering released into the crisp still air for all to hear.

QBUiSHt.png
The witch of the Knifewood once more opened her eyes and left out a weary breath. She had no love for battle... no love for returning others to the earth. Brinda steeled herself as she strode forward as she began the work that simply must be done. In the palm of her hand, a small ruddy brown worm rested. A maw of horrid razorteeth, a dried Razorworm was what it had once been. Small devils that inhabited her home... useful for releasing spells born of the land. She brought her right hand crashing into her left, a swift and precise motion practiced a million times. Where there was once a dried carcass there was but a sickly corpse dust. She spoke words of power, crackling energy within her breath as the motes of dust rose upwards and clung in the stale air as if it was a dusty old library. "Guardian of burrows, humble lord of decay, l beseech thee to lend me your cleansing powers this day. Free these lost souls from darkness, devour accursed flesh so that the untainted soul may once more be free. Return them to Mother! They who swim the earth l call upon your powers! Worm!" the dust motes suddenly changed form, thousands of tiny worms like the one she held in hand formed in the air. They crackled with an umbral pulse, darkness of The Curse fused with magic. The swarm of worms surged forth a writhing mass of retribution towards the first of the Fully Cursed they spotted. 

Move to N11 and attack Fighter C with Worm!

(...)

Fighter C is Daunted by Brinda! (-5 Hit/Eva/Crit)

Brinda
Attack: 11
Hit: 90
Crit: 7

Fighter C
---

Brinda attacks! 10 Hit! 7 CRIT!
Fighter C is defeated by a devastating 33 Damage 

EXP: 9/100

Cheat Sheet:

Infernus:

Brinda (HP: 18/18) - Worm (39/40) | Vulnerary (3/3)

Enemies:

Fighter C (HP:0/22) - Iron Axe (40/40)

Soldier A (HP: 4/22) - Iron Lance (40/40)

[Enemy Phase]

Myrmidon C moves to M12 and attacks Galen

Myrmidon C is Daunted by Brinda! (-5 Hit/Eva/Crit)

Galen
Attack: 6 (8-2)
Hit: 94 (106.5-17+5)
Crit: 4 (7.5-3)

Myrmidon C
Attack: 8 (10-2)
Hit: 82 (98.5-11-5)
Crit: 0 (3-3-5)

Myrmidon C attacks: 74 Hit!
Galen takes 8 damage!

Galen attacks: 21 Hit!
Myrmidon C takes 6 damage!

The charges forward, arms swaying back and forth as it fails it's blade at Galen get 1 good hit in. Galen is able to get a strike of his own, however.

Soldier A moves to I7 and attacks Nicolos

Soldier A has the advantage! (+15 Hit/Eva, +1 Damage Dealt, -1 Damage Taken)
Nicolos is taking covering within trees! (+15 Eva, -1 Damage Taken)
Soldier A is Daunted by Owena! (-5 Hit/Eva/Crit)
Nicolos fights united! (+2 Damage Dealt)

Nicolos
Attack: 13 (17+2-1-5)
Hit: 80 (99.5-15-9+5)
Crit: 8 (9-1)

Soldier A
Attack: 6 (12+1-1-6)
Hit: 64 (90.5+15-15-21-5)
Crit: 0 (2.5-7-5)

Soldier A attacks: 52 Hit!
Nicolos takes 6 Damage!

Nicolos attacks: 79 Hit!
Soldier A is defeated with 13 damage!

The cursed limps forward, taking a lunging strike at Nicolos. It also seems to fall over but is still able to gash the commander.

7Q3YCxs.png

"Is that all you got?" The man activates his Excalibur, the gems on the pommel and guard glow a bright red and the golden blade is now bathed in a blazing hot flame. One strike is enough to turn the creature into a bonfire. It lets out an ear scratching scream before falling off the bridge and into the water below.

Shaman A moves to I7 and attacks Arissell

Shaman A has the advantage! (+15 Hit/Eva, +1 Damage Dealt, -1 Damage Taken)
Shaman A is Daunted by Owena! (-5 Hit/Eva/Crit)
Arissell is inspired by Nicolos! (+10 Hit/Eva

Arissell
Attack: 1 (7-1-5)
Hit: 95 (101-15-6+5+10)
Crit: 2 (2.5-0)

Shaman A
Attack: 12 (14+1-3)
Hit: 74 (84+15-10-5-10)
Crit: 0 (3.5-2-5)

Shaman A attacks: 33 Hit!
Arissell takes 12 damage!

Arissell attacks: 69 Hit!
Shaman A takes 1 damage!

The cursed stumbles forward, streams of dark magic going down his arm congealing into a ball of the accursed magic into it's palm. It lobs it at the half-fae, exploding into a puff of a dark purple smoke upon contact. Out of the cloud comes a green crest blade of wind magic, which the curse takes to full force of but looks no worse for wear.

Myrmidon A moves to G8

Fighter A moves to F7

Shaman B moves to D8

Soldier B moves to C7

Archer A move to B7

Soldier C moves to M14

Shaman D moves to M15

Fighter D moves to I15

Archer B moves to I16

Soldier D moves to H15

[Turn 2]

unknown.png

[Infernus Phase]

EXP: 17/100

Cheat Sheet:

Infernus:
Arissell (HP: 9/21) - Wind (39/40) | Vulnerary (3/3)
Galen (HP: 12/20) - Slim Sword (40/40) | Vulnerary (3/3)
Nicolos (HP: 17/23) - Excalibur Infernus (--/--) | Vulnerary (3/3)

Enemies:
Myrmidon C (HP: 14/20) - Iron Sword (39/40)
Shaman A (HP: 18/19) - Flux (39/40)
Soldier A (HP: 0/22) - Iron Lance (39/40)

Her jaw tenses as she looks on at the shambling hulk of decaying skin and hanging limbs that's advancing on them from across the bridge. The tattered remains of its robes do little to hide its grotesque appearance, and she feels her throat close slightly if she looks at it too long.

Juliett_what.png

Any other enemy soldier. It's any other enemy soldier.

I6, stab Shaman, Canto to K6.

Vivi L7, Heal Arissell.

As she gazes upon these cursed, shambling forward in their mindless agression, she feels more of a sense of pity than revulsion (though it's not as if the decaying skin and all isn't a bit disgusting). This...what a sad, sorry state of affairs that any human should have to live like this. She only hopes that these poor, shambling souls won't have to suffer very long...one way or the other. It's rather enough to make her question why people should continue practicing dark magic--or at the very least, why those not searching for a cure or already cursed through other means should do it, if this is the end result.

Then again, that much is probably a question for later, and a question that probably should be...carefully phrased, so as to avoid coming off like the sneering anti-cursed sentiment she saw so often in her homelands. In the vast majority of cases cursed were victims just the same as her own people, just....bah. Again, she'll take the time to parse her thoughts and ask sensitive, respectful questions when her life's not on the line.

Glancing over, she notices Galen and Brinda are...well, they seem like they've got a bit of a fight ahead of them. A fight Owena isn't necessarily sure they can win. She hesitates to leave Nicolos, but...well, if Arissell, Juliett and Vivianne stay where they are then he should be fine, yes?

6FZ93Zc.png

"All due respect, Nicolos, but Galen and Brinda look like they need my help right now more than you do. Unless you have objections...?"

Owena to M8, wait nicely.

Nicolos to J8, finish off the Shaman, Press the Attack on Owena.

Shaman A is Daunted by Owena! (-5 Hit/Eva/Crit)

Arissell is inspired by Nicolos! (+10 Hit/Eva)
Juliett is in full bloom (+2 AS)

Juliett 
Attack: 8 (9-1)
Hit: 100 (96-6+5+10)
Crit: 7 (7-0)
Luna: 7

Shaman A
Attack: 11 (14-3)
Hit: 55 (84-14-5-10)
Crit: 0 (3.5-2-5)

Juliett attacks: 38 Hit!
Shaman A takes 8 damage!

Shaman A attacks: 42 Hit!
Juliett takes 11 damage!

As Juliett swoops down to attack, the feral one's claws still flow with dark energies. As Juliett pierces the creature, it's able to get a claw slash right down her leg.

Vivi heals Arissell, Arissell is maxed out!

Shaman A has the advantage! (+15 Hit/Eva, +1 Damage Dealt, -1 Damage Taken)
Nicolos fights united! (+2 Damage Dealt)
Nicolos will attack twice!

Nicolos
Attack: 13x2 (17-5-1+2)
Hit: 78 (99.5-6-15)
Crit: 9 (9-0)

Shaman A
Attack: 11 (14-4+1)
Hit: 78 (84-21+15)
Crit: 0 (3.5-7)

Nicolos attacks: 7 Hit! 
Shaman A is defeated with 13 damage!

As Juliett flies away and Owena retreats, Nicolos emerges from the trees his Excalibur still blazing. He grabs the blade with both hands and points the blade at the feral one. He then unleashes the flames of his blade in a stream which engulf the creature. Only a charred corpse remains once the flames ceased.

7Q3YCxs.png

"No objections, go quickly! Don't let them get overwhelmed!" The man speaks gesturing her to hurry up going down there to help.

Nicolos uses Press the Assault on Owena! Owena may act again!

EXP: 26/100
Cheat Sheet:

Infernus:
Arissell (HP: 21/21) - Wind (39/40) | Vulnerary (3/3)
Juliett (HP: 7/18) - Slim Lance (39/40) | Vulnerary (3/3)
Vivianne (HP: 19/19) - Heal (29/30) | Vulnerary (3/3)

Enemies:
Shaman A (HP: 0/19) - Flux (38/40)

The swarm of shadowed razorworms make quick work of the large hulking mass that had once been a man. Despite their gruesome looks however the destruction was hardly visceral. lf it hadn't be death that was the result of such an act one could perhaps think it beautiful, a poetic return to the embrace of the wild mother. Nothing remained of who had once stood there, they were returned to the soil. Once more a wicked twisting of human flesh was returned to the earth, to nature. Brinda observed the man who came forth after. She had recognized him from before the one that asked her who she was, if she was one of the cursed. She at the least knew he now had one answer unless her magic was to be doubted. There was only one who knew the secrets of darkness separate from the Curse of the Land. She was clearly not he, unless the legends were extremely off base about a certain court mage. Though, The Witch supposed there was many a legend stretched beyonds it's means. The Knights of the Round, even her own. What could one truly believe? Now was hardly the time for philosophy however, as much as she'd love to ponder life's finer points there was battle to be had. 

The witch noted the man's hesitance as he battled against the Accursed Swordsman. Cowardice? No it was much too intentional, too measured. lt couldn't be fear. His demeanor spoke of an intention and a resolve much stronger than that of a craven lad too afraid to fight. She didn't quite understand it... Humans. They usually didn't hesitate to lay waste to what they perceived as barely more than monsters, or perhaps her knowledge was much too outdated. Even with her magics it wasn't easy to keep fully abreast of the situation in the world of humanity. She supposed such was the result of taking residence in the woods for 200 years. She found this... fascinating. 

QBUiSHt.png
"You stay your blade... Mercy? A curious thing to show to a full fledged Cursed. Many would say such was a foolish endeavor, few from true experience of doing so." she said with a sad lilt to her voice. "Do you still see their humanity?
She directed the still thrumming hoard of razorworm towards the next target, a lay pointing of her left index finger. Her focus seemed to be on the man at the moment and not the battle commencing.

Attack Myrm C with Worm! 

Myrmidon C is Daunted by Brinda! (-5 Hit/Eva/Crit)

Brinda
Attack: 11 (11-0)
Hit: 78 (90-17+5)
Crit: 5 (8.5-3)

Myrmidon C
---

Binda attacks: 98 Miss!

Unfortunately, due to Brinda not focusing on aiming her shot, the feral cursed somehow stumbled out of the way.

EXP: 27/100
Cheat Sheet:

Infernus:
Arissell (HP: 21/21) - Wind (39/40) | Vulnerary (3/3)
Juliett (HP: 7/18) - Slim Lance (39/40) | Vulnerary (3/3)
Vivianne (HP: 19/19) - Heal (29/30) | Vulnerary (3/3)

Enemies:
Shaman A (HP: 0/19) - Flux (38/40)

The mage can’t help but feel pity for the Cursed people around him, even as in their feral state they attacked him and his comrades. He felt it rise up within him every time he saw a group of them, stumbling around and clutching rusted old weapons as if they weren’t anything more than arisen corpses like in a fantasy book. Though Galen didn’t know their names or their stories, he hardly thought they wanted to end up this way; shambling husks of their former selves, capable of nothing but violence and destruction. To lose one’s sanity this way and have to feel it happen... It was a horrifying thought, but one so much worse followed it right after. 

If I am not careful, one day I might—

...No. Now isn’t the time for that. Galen pushes it out of his mind (how many times had he, by now?) and returns his attention to the Cursed in front of him. The man’s emaciated form and flailing limbs belied the strength behind his sword, and it took Galen by surprise — not enough to knock him off his form, though, as he delivered a swift stab to his enemy’s arm in response. Careful and calculated to disable, not to kill. In the worst case possible he would be missing an arm afterward, but what’s an arm compared to your life?

Galen turns his head slightly as Brinda addresses him. He had been meaning to talk to her further during the trip, but... well, the Witch intimidated him more than he’d like to admit, and so he could not approach her for a few words. It was convenient now that she made the first move, though a battlefield was perhaps not his first choice to hold a conversation on. Not taking his eyes off of the former swordsman in front of him, Galen replies:

A6W3Wes.png

“You’re correct. It’s mercy; I do not wish to kill any of these people. I would assume none of them asked for such a fate, and I should be so bold as to say that none have ever deserved it, but it befell them nonetheless. Who am I to execute them for the crime of their existence?”

He then chuckles at the Witch’s comment, though she hadn’t said anything funny.

A6W3Wes.png

“It seems all too often that those who would wish to call me a fool for my views fit that label better than I... In my eyes the Cursed are just people with a disease, nothing more. The Curse acts close to the madness you would catch from an animal — you lose your senses, your reason, becoming feral and hostile to all. The fact that it is magical in nature makes things more complicated, but I feel they are the same in principle.”

After this Galen takes the time to look Brinda in the eye. He speaks as if discussing an absolute, like the color of the sky or the grass. No matter how many times he was asked this question his answer never changed.

And, if he is lucky, it never will.

82gq7KG.png

“The Curse is just a disease, and the Cursed are just a diseased people. They are just as human as myself, Nicolos, or you. ...Er, if I may assume.”

...As the Witch’s second attack sails past him and misses its mark, Galen fails to suppress a sarcastic comment.

A6W3Wes.png

“But enough from me for the moment. I seem to be distracting you.”

QBUiSHt.png
"Hmmm perhaps l could do with better focus, this is battle after all. l can't help but pursue what interests me in the moment l suppose. Precious little does for one old as l." The witch, Brinda, mused to herself about the folly. It certainly put a damper on their plans and made things more interesting but it never shone through her grim exterior. Her mood was hard to parse. She seemed to go back on the words he had spoken prior, truly mull them over. "As to your cause, perhaps it is foolish. However, no child of the land has made progress into the unknown without being branded a fool once or thrice. l'm sure once the realm of magic alone was folly but to the mystic children. But Humanity claimed their stake... The magic that fuels the Curse of the Land is just yet another force to be learned. We never will if no one sacrifices themselves in the pursuit of knowledge." things she truly believed or perhaps once did. She was unsure of herself, what the purpose of all her work had been in this brief moment. She had no goal so no noble... at least not any more. She'd century ago given up on a cure, she herself wasn't all that interested. Her heart didn't burn with the passion for such. She'd chosen the Curse of the Land, she didn't see it as a disease to be cured, an affliction. 

"As for your assumption, you may but l was never human. Not before the Curse and not after. And Human, l never shall be."

AyEtAGb.png

“Perhaps it is foolish, and I’m going to die one day, not a single step closer to having a cure or even some answers. I am not to say. But with how much I have dedicated to this work, and what it has done to me, I feel it would be yet more foolish to give up now.”

Galen raises his free hand — the inch-long claws he has for fingernails catch the dawn’s light as he does. They had grown steadily on his digits (along with the fanged canine teeth always poking out of his mouth) for the past several months before he’d given up casting dark magic, and served as a reminder of what lay at stake if he continued his work. They, and... other things.

hE7USj6.png

“Trust me, O Witch. Sacrifices have been made.” Oh, if only she knew.

82gq7KG.png

Galen quirks an eyebrow at her final comment. “That raises more questions than it answers. If you are neither human nor Cursed, what exactly are you?”

...He hopes that wasn’t as insulting a question to hear as it sounded coming out of his mouth.

QBUiSHt.png
"Hmmm, so it seems they have been young one." She didn't say such to demean. Her tone was quite soft even, perhaps endearing? A dangerous thought to toy with too long as the moment passed on. "Stay your path, your dedication even if it shall come to naught but a bitter early end for thee shall not be in vain. The fruits of study will pave the way of many others of that l'm sure. But, l speak hot air, a truth already known to you, even if not to myself. Human lives are short but bright... they burn but in a flash. You've not the time such as myself to worry about passion turning from a roaring flame into not but weakly glinting embers. A blessing l'd say.

She nearly laughed at the misconception but managed to keep all but a playful smirk from crawling across her face. She pondered what words to say, to tell the truth. There's was many ways she could go, even not answering at all. But she decided rather quickly. "Cursed is what l am, what l have so chosen. But l didn't give up humanity to receive it. There was never any to give. Humanity may not be the only thing that the curse considers a worthy trade."