Pokemon Reborn video Walkthrough [100% Complete for E18]

Vinnie

Long time since I left a comment here. I'm suprised by the level of detail that you have put in this guide. It has just about everything. Also, I'm suprised  that  you made it through Titania and Terra so easily (Terra's Quagsire seems really frustrating to beat without roar or a terrain change). Welp, next time is the water gym and then the (I.M.O.) hardest part of the game, so good luck out there. You are gonna need it, I think. 

All that said, what would you say, from your point of view, are the best and worst designed fights , regardless of  team composition or story ? Based on the above, it should be obvious to tell what part I didn't like when I played, but I would like to see what you think. 

Also, something that's been bothering me. I remember a few videos ago (2 or 3, I think), you mentioned how Taka's Chatot had a special attack overflow. I've seen other people over at reddit mention that too. I'm going to assume that you used the PBS files to determine that, yet when I searched with the PBS files I downloaded, after episode 18 was released, Taka's Chatot had 252 special attack EVs, like normal. Am I missing something, or was this changed between episode 17 and 18 ? Here's the statspread from the PBS files I downloaded ( CHATOT,83,NORMALIUMZ2,HEATWAVE,NASTYPLOT,BOOMBURST,ENCORE,0,M,0,false,TIMID,31,70,,false,,,4,0,0,252,252,0 )

Anyway, keep up the good work, but don't overwork yourself. Good luck

• Like 1

On 6/29/2019 at 5:15 AM, gilam said:

tnx for great guide. i realy enjoy watch it.

i relly hoop to see you run lt's play one day.

Thanks, glad you enjoy! I don't know if I'll ever do a let's play or at least, not on Reborn. It's a great game, but after 100% I'll be looking for something new to take a break from it. 

6 hours ago, GGLL said:

Long time since I left a comment here. I'm suprised by the level of detail that you have put in this guide. It has just about everything. Also, I'm suprised  that  you made it through Titania and Terra so easily (Terra's Quagsire seems really frustrating to beat without roar or a terrain change). Welp, next time is the water gym and then the (I.M.O.) hardest part of the game, so good luck out there. You are gonna need it, I think. 

All that said, what would you say, from your point of view, are the best and worst designed fights , regardless of  team composition or story ? Based on the above, it should be obvious to tell what part I didn't like when I played, but I would like to see what you think. 

Also, something that's been bothering me. I remember a few videos ago (2 or 3, I think), you mentioned how Taka's Chatot had a special attack overflow. I've seen other people over at reddit mention that too. I'm going to assume that you used the PBS files to determine that, yet when I searched with the PBS files I downloaded, after episode 18 was released, Taka's Chatot had 252 special attack EVs, like normal. Am I missing something, or was this changed between episode 17 and 18 ? Here's the statspread from the PBS files I downloaded ( CHATOT,83,NORMALIUMZ2,HEATWAVE,NASTYPLOT,BOOMBURST,ENCORE,0,M,0,false,TIMID,31,70,,false,,,4,0,0,252,252,0 )

Anyway, keep up the good work, but don't overwork yourself. Good luck

Terra's Quag is definitely irritating to deal with without any kind of preparation. You would need to completely overpower it and I'm not sure if anything in the game at that point can do that. Titania was just spamming Excadrill along with abusing the magical seeds. Her Aegislash is terrifying and the only thing that can cleanly take it out is probably a Diggersby since it's immune to Shadow Sneak. +2 Attack with STAB boosted Shadow Sneak coming off 150 BP attack hurts a lot.

I'm not sure if there's any part of the game that's terribly difficult. I do find that the gauntlets are frustrating because no matter what you're going to have to burn through revives while your members on the field try to tank hits. I think I'd say the Fiore Mansion is more difficult than the upcoming gauntlet. Having full control of your team in double battles is important. Florinia and Julia have good teams, good mons, but you don't get to choose the order they're sent out, or choose their moves, unlike in the upcoming gauntlet. 

As for Taka's Chatot, I don't know. I just checked my own PBS files, and I got the same information. Maybe it was changed, I'm not sure. I know that on the forums it was mentioned at some point. I'd like to believe it was changed, but I could just be wrong too. I do know that EV overflow is supposed to be a consistent game mechanic eventually as it's mentioned at the current endgame by a friendly NPC in Calcenon city. I'll make a note of it in that video's description.

Thanks for all the feedback, and thanks for the support!

Between you and Azery, Amaria seems to have been humiliated the most out of all the gym leaders in this game. Seriously, what is up with the water type gym leaders and their weakness to Shedninja ? Pre-nerf Valarie from rejuvenation didn't have any counters to it either. It's like the water type is cursed by the existence of the floating deceased bug. Kind of funny.

I remember Eustace being really difficult for some reason, since he came right after a double battle and didn't allow you to heal. Did you have any difficulties against him or was that just me ?

By the way, maybe it is because of my limited experience, but personally, I find Amaria to be much easier in her double battle than her singles, since her ways of changing the field back are much more limited in comparison to her single battle. She has two whirpool users for both of her battles, but no pokemon with earthquake in her double battle, which means that if you change it once, she can never change it back. Her lead is also on the slow side, so an air balloon ice type with blizzard can easily change the field first turn and then primarina is the only member who becomes a bit tricky to deal with.

I'm actually suprised that you didn't just use an air balloon on your Alolan  Ninetails to beat her like that, though Shednija was definitely a treat. That is also why I'm suprised by the fact that nearly every youtuber go for the single battle and fail to beat the double battle, despite the fact that I find the later easier than the former (though lack of knownledge on the field effect plays a big part on that). Still wouldn't call her weak though, since she does have a higher power ceiling than others, despite her weaknesses. That's what  makes her one of my favourite battles, even if she gets ridiculed by smart players  like you and Azery. Speaking of that, what's your favourite battle(s) in this game and what would you like to see from future battles? Once again, keep up the good work and good luck against the next section.

Sidenote: A minor nitpick, but I think that wishiwashi and ludicolo have had  their levels switched in the description. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, GGLL said:

Between you and Azery, Amaria seems to have been humiliated the most out of all the gym leaders in this game. Seriously, what is up with the water type gym leaders and their weakness to Shedninja ? Pre-nerf Valarie from rejuvenation didn't have any counters to it either. It's like the water type is cursed by the existence of the floating deceased bug. Kind of funny.

I remember Eustace being really difficult for some reason, since he came right after a double battle and didn't allow you to heal. Did you have any difficulties against him or was that just me ?

By the way, maybe it is because of my limited experience, but personally, I find Amaria to be much easier in her double battle than her singles, since her ways of changing the field back are much more limited in comparison to her single battle. She has two whirpool users for both of her battles, but no pokemon with earthquake in her double battle, which means that if you change it once, she can never change it back. Her lead is also on the slow side, so an air balloon ice type with blizzard can easily change the field first turn and then primarina is the only member who becomes a bit tricky to deal with.

I'm actually suprised that you didn't just use an air balloon on your Alolan  Ninetails to beat her like that, though Shednija was definitely a treat. That is also why I'm suprised by the fact that nearly every youtuber go for the single battle and fail to beat the double battle, despite the fact that I find the later easier than the former (though lack of knownledge on the field effect plays a big part on that). Still wouldn't call her weak though, since she does have a higher power ceiling than others, despite her weaknesses. That's what  makes her one of my favourite battles, even if she gets ridiculed by smart players  like you and Azery. Speaking of that, what's your favourite battle(s) in this game and what would you like to see from future battles? Once again, keep up the good work and good luck against the next section.

Sidenote: A minor nitpick, but I think that wishiwashi and ludicolo have had  their levels switched in the description. 

Yeah, I actually did go through a few revives with the Eustace battle. I'd have to check his stats in the pbs files, but I know his team members are around level 86-90, and I probably didn't have any team members higher than 86 if that.

Amaria definitely isn't weak either. I do know about freezing the field because that's what I did in my original play through, but I really don't remember anything after that. I also actually had a play through where I just spammed air ballons on every Pokemon I had and somehow managed, but again my memories a bit fuzzy on that one too. Shedninja was definitely a delight, it's not something I've actually used before. It's a bit more complicated than you'd think. Shedninja doesn't even get Hone Claws, so you're forced to use X items to boost. I'm also really shocked that Amaria's AI panics and breaks down instead of trying to either Scald or Whirlpool Shedninja. Her Lapras is amazing setup bait though, even if it takes forever to faint as it'll setup curses and rest. It's funny because if her Lapras had Shellarmour I wouldn't be able to crit through it's Curses, but without Hydration I'd just use Toxic and wait it out instead. Normally I do try to stay away from gimmicks for battles but Shedninja was just so much fun to work with and seeing Amaria's AI break and actually start swapping Pokemon in and out at random because it had no idea what to do was worth it.

The upcoming gauntlet is definitely my favorite. I dislike having to use revives in gauntlet challenges during the battles as it's annoying(one pokemon basically tanks while you spam revive the rest of the team), but it's a long challenge and when you get through it, it feels super rewarding, especially if you handle it really well. If you go beyond that and get a flawless victory with a sweep or just having none of your party faint then it's an amazing feeling. Gauntlets are also nice as you can't rely on gimmicks or stack for what you're going to be going up against. I think a big prediction for E19 is that there's going to be some sort of boss battle with Arceus and I really, really hope it's part of a gauntlet. This ensures that you bring your best overall team, and that if you want to bring Prankster Murkrow with you then you're losing a slot on your party(although I suppose some may just train Murkrow up, give it protect and maybe Eviolite to make it less dead weight). Anyways thanks for the good wishes, I'll do my best!

Also, I fixed the levels in the description. I usually get those from the wiki instead of straight from the PBS. Originally I did link people to the wiki, but I started feeling guilty because that could lead to a lot of spoilers. For other games besides Reborn or even when E19 comes out, I'll likely be using all the info straight from the PBS and creating the sheets from scratch.

I think Amaria doesn't use scald or whirpool because they are damaging water type moves, thus they don't work on Shedninja, so it tries to switch out to a counter. Just like the main games, if the AI doesn't have a damaging move against Shedninja, it will switch out to something that does. Only Amaria doesn't have any super effective attack or status moves, so her AI goes for her strongest pokemon and after that, the AI glitches out and tries to switch repeatedly to a non-existent counter. 

Personally, I dislike the gauntlet because, with everything you have to deal with, at the time I took it on, it felt like you were either  forced to make the most powerful team in the game to get through it, or you would have to item spam. The first point doesn't really stick anymore, but for the second point, I dislike the idea of balancing the game around the unlimited item usage of the player, since that mindset leads to absolutely brutal and monotonous sections where you have to spam items, if you want to get through. It's not fun and it turns everything into an item fest, something that the rest of the game usually avoids. Even  the next hardest battle didn't feel impossible to win without items. Then again, my team wasn't EV trained, nor did it have any actual doubles synergy, so it was much tougher for me than for other player, like Demice and Azery, who made it look like a joke. I'm just hoping the finale doesn't over-compensate by much more.

Also, I don't know if that's true or not, but apparently, if you talk to Julia after you talk to Titania/Amaria the first time you enter the final room, she'll give you a hint towards finding Amaria in the puzzle ( something to do with the gym lights changing color or something if Amaria is present). I wonder if that's true or not, since that would have been helpful when finding her . Regardless, you just reached the final episode already (well, for now). Don't be afraid to rest, you are almost there.

Happy Holidays !!

• Like 1

9 hours ago, GGLL said:

I think Amaria doesn't use scald or whirpool because they are damaging water type moves, thus they don't work on Shedninja, so it tries to switch out to a counter. Just like the main games, if the AI doesn't have a damaging move against Shedninja, it will switch out to something that does. Only Amaria doesn't have any super effective attack or status moves, so her AI goes for her strongest pokemon and after that, the AI glitches out and tries to switch repeatedly to a non-existent counter. 

Personally, I dislike the gauntlet because, with everything you have to deal with, at the time I took it on, it felt like you were either  forced to make the most powerful team in the game to get through it, or you would have to item spam. The first point doesn't really stick anymore, but for the second point, I dislike the idea of balancing the game around the unlimited item usage of the player, since that mindset leads to absolutely brutal and monotonous sections where you have to spam items, if you want to get through. It's not fun and it turns everything into an item fest, something that the rest of the game usually avoids. Even  the next hardest battle didn't feel impossible to win without items. Then again, my team wasn't EV trained, nor did it have any actual doubles synergy, so it was much tougher for me than for other player, like Demice and Azery, who made it look like a joke. I'm just hoping the finale doesn't over-compensate by much more.

Also, I don't know if that's true or not, but apparently, if you talk to Julia after you talk to Titania/Amaria the first time you enter the final room, she'll give you a hint towards finding Amaria in the puzzle ( something to do with the gym lights changing color or something if Amaria is present). I wonder if that's true or not, since that would have been helpful when finding her . Regardless, you just reached the final episode already (well, for now). Don't be afraid to rest, you are almost there.

Happy Holidays !!

Yeah I understand that bit. There isn't enough detail in the AI to understand that it could get a burn from Scald or Confusion from using Whirlpool on that field. I kinda wish there was. 

And yeah, I dislike the gauntlet for the same reasons. I just appreciate that a gauntlet also offers a variety of opponents and scenarios, so you have to try to have sort of a more balanced team.

I think I vaguely remember someone mentioning that the gym lights change color. I didn't really need to try since I just straight up mapped out the entire area. She's always in those same exact 3 spots which change depending on the path you take, and I appreciate how regardless of which path you take there's a convenient point for you to grab the TM down there. Mapping that area out gave me a newfound appreciation for that area as I realized that some areas overlap and are on sort of a different level. It makes me want to make a 3D model of it, but that would probably confuse people more.

And yeah, almost. If I finish early, I'm actually thinking that I might start a series on Rejuv. A couple people asked, and I've played through quite a bit of Rejuv and really enjoyed it. I do also have a few more videos that I want to make on Reborn outside of the walkthrough, but I don't want to start those until E19 is out. 

Happy Holidays to you too, and thanks for the support!

3 hours ago, Starry Knight said:

will you do a video showing all current TM locations even if it's just like a montage of smaller clips from already done videos? same with Crystals, Field effects & Pulse notes?

Eventually  yes, along with completing the Dex. I'm waiting for E19 though since I want those to be as accurate as possible. They'll be some of the last videos to come out but I do want to put those out as some sort of easy search and find index. 

11 hours ago, Vinnie said:

Eventually  yes, along with completing the Dex. I'm waiting for E19 though since I want those to be as accurate as possible. They'll be some of the last videos to come out but I do want to put those out as some sort of easy search and find index. 

Thanks, was asking mostly cause I was having troubles finding the ones in the dessert. Found them in my first and second playthrough of reborn however forgot where they were and the written description of where they are at is kinda fuzzy

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Starry Knight said:

Thanks, was asking mostly cause I was having troubles finding the ones in the dessert. Found them in my first and second playthrough of reborn however forgot where they were and the written description of where they are at is kinda fuzzy

There's about 6 or 7 TM's in the desert if I remember correctly. I usually have a map ready for myself or write really quick weird notes on it, so I don't even have that good of a description for the locations. The desert and it's dungeons, towers, and caves are also massive with odd layouts so it's kinda difficult to make an accurate map of them.

13 minutes ago, Vinnie said:

There's about 6 or 7 TM's in the desert if I remember correctly. I usually have a map ready for myself or write really quick weird notes on it, so I don't even have that good of a description for the locations. The desert and it's dungeons, towers, and caves are also massive with odd layouts so it's kinda difficult to make an accurate map of them.

I can screen shoot the rpg maker data of the map and stich it together for u if you want? Have been procrastinating on doing it as it's massive but I can do it now if you wish

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Starry Knight said:

I can screen shoot the rpg maker data of the map and stich it together for u if you want? Have been procrastinating on doing it as it's massive but I can do it now if you wish

Ah, no that's not really the issue. It's mainly just that the desert is enormous. I don't want the map to be too large and messy. For reference this is just part of the desert showing where the mirage locations may spawn

Spoiler

gUqiV5d.png

Just straight up stitching the map pieces from RPG maker would make an enormous map that would require scrolling, and I kind want something more user friendly. There's also a lot of information I'm not sure about how to display on the map yet, little details such as the TM that's in the spot of the Mirage tower when the tower isn't actually there.

I'm just not too sure about how to go about it yet.

• Upvote 1

14 minutes ago, Starry Knight said:

Alright. WIll have it to you by tomorrow morning

There's no hurry, take your time. Besides, I already covered the desert, so it's something other people should be able to use with ease. 

7 hours ago, Thawne said:

Just want to say that I enjoy watching your walkthroughs and that I subscribed to your channel. You do a very good job of explaining important things in the game. 

Thanks, glad you find it enjoyable and helpful! I do my best.

Well, I had nearly forgotten how long that gauntlet battle was. You seemed exhausted by the time the third battle rolled in. Still, you managed to clear that up better than I expected (though I guess it wasn't on the first try, going of that cut off). Excadrill really is powerful, that mole practically cleared the entire gauntlet by itself (well, it and Gigalith with some items).  Still believe that it could use some nerfs, but I guess it is more bearable with the use of healing items. By the way, do you think that, on a casual playthrough, this is the point where you have to start using EV trained mons ? I know that your pokemon are not EV trained here (except maybe staraptor, because it has alot of HP), but most people usually start talking about EV training their pokemon around this point. Do you think that is usually necessary ?

Also, congratulations, there are only two more episodes at most (unless you try to complete the pokedex.....) and you are done (until episode 19 comes along). That happened faster than I expected. Thanks for your work and good luck once again.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, GGLL said:

Well, I had nearly forgotten how long that gauntlet battle was. You seemed exhausted by the time the third battle rolled in. Still, you managed to clear that up better than I expected (though I guess it wasn't on the first try, going of that cut off). Excadrill really is powerful, that mole practically cleared the entire gauntlet by itself (well, it and Gigalith with some items).  Still believe that it could use some nerfs, but I guess it is more bearable with the use of healing items. By the way, do you think that, on a casual playthrough, this is the point where you have to start using EV trained mons ? I know that your pokemon are not EV trained here (except maybe staraptor, because it has alot of HP), but most people usually start talking about EV training their pokemon around this point. Do you think that is usually necessary ?

Also, congratulations, there are only two more episodes at most (unless you try to complete the pokedex.....) and you are done (until episode 19 comes along). That happened faster than I expected. Thanks for your work and good luck once again.

Definitely wasn't first try. One of the issues with gauntlets is that a little bad luck can ruin your day. It's not really a big deal normally, since you can just toss revival herbs at your Pokemon if they miss their moves too often or get critted, but I really wanted everything to be clean when recording. 

Staraptors isn't EV trained, although I checked it's stats screen and it's got 2 31 IVs, one in HP, although only 45 EVs. The mole is pretty strong though, and that was without bringing in a lot of the event Pokemon. Excadrill is an amazing pokemon in general, competitively, and even speed running wise. 

I haven't had to EV train any of my pokemon yet, even after the recent Solaris battle, although I'd say I'm cutting it close. The Pokedex is also on the to-do list, but it's going to have to wait until after E19. I just read that all the TMs are going to be moved around as of E19, so I'm assuming Pokemon locations will be as well. But that will be it's own video most likely.