[Trespassers V2 Subplot] Okami: Stains upon the Canvas

GodofGamingRWBY

Mitsu and Spray

“Enough, both of you” Sakuya spoke up once again as the disaster goddess moved forward, except unlike before, the voice was far more ‘physical’, emanating from right behind the enraged goddess. Sure enough, Spray and Mitsu (should she turn around) would notice the floating, ethereal figure of Sakuya, wearing the same outfit she wore when she greeted Spray for the first time. Though, unlike last time, where her expression was one of warmth and kindness, her expression now was more hardened, a look of pain when she looked at Spray, and one of confusion and disappointment with Mitsu, “I suggested rest out of consideration for your status, Mitsurugi, but Spray is still correct. Even Amaterasu knew the importance of taking the time to recuperate between her tasks” the spirit stated, putting the palms of her hands together without shifting her gaze from the goddess,

“His return is problematic, yes, but there is time before he is complete. Plenty of time, for that matter. I will not make any demands of one of your standing, Saigai-no-Mitsurugi, but I implore you to take the time to clear your thoughts, or discuss it with your companions. Fighting each other does nothing but play into His advantage."

• Replies 266
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Spray

Maxwell was about to say something defiant to the goddess - the thunder goddess, it seemed - but then Sakuya had spoken and everything Spray wanted to say just drained away. As Sakuya again suggested that Mitsu rest, Spray had trouble meeting either of their gazes.

He was too busy wondering when he'd get his pink slip.

Spray winced when Sakuya mentioned how infighting would only have helped Him. As if the mess he'd made wasn't bad enough as it was. Once Sakuya was done speaking, Spray asked, quietly, "I-is there further business to discuss with me, or...?"

Lexiel thinks it over for a moment, before presenting her contract to Ako instead, "If you think it would be best, and you are willing, then so be it.  I would be honored to have you fight by my side in the battles to come."

The storm within the goddess calmed as Sakuya spoke to her. She blinked twice; on the second, her eyes were their normal golden hue and free of any divine glow. "I . . ." She looked at Spray, then looked down at herself before stepping back with a muffled look of horror. Her gaze flickered up to Maxwell's with regret before it returned to the ground. "You are correct. I have stepped too far in my haste." She slowly bent at the waist, giving the man a bow as deep as she could stomach with her tattered pride. "I have moved in excess. Though your actions were out of line, mine were further so." Mitsurugi turned to Sakuya, and gave her a similar gesture. "I apologize to both you and Amaterasu for my actions just now."

Spray

The rookie shook his head at the apology.

"No, I... It was obvious that I'd put too much pressure on a sore spot. Wasn't right of me to shove all my anger on you like that. And..." A sad smile crept its way onto his face. "You did warn me. My fault for ignoring that."

Mitsu and Spray

At Mitsu's apology, Sakuya gave a slight bow of her head, "Your apology is accepted, as I simply wish the best for you. And as for you, Maxwell Schiff..." she continued, turning her head to the mortal ahead of her, "I should be apologizing for the situation that you have been suddenly thrust into. It was my duty to properly explain what you were going into, but in my haste I failed to do so. For that, I am truly sorry" she said, offering the rookiee a proper bow, "If there are any questions you want answered, I shall gladly answer them to the best of my knowledge."

Spray's words were far from comforting. This was, indeed, a shadow of what she'd warned him of, and that made it all the worse. "I will take my leave, then." She forced herself to look forward; it would not do well for a goddess to walk along with eyes downcast in shame. Mitsurugi wanted to say something about heeding advice given in good faith, but she couldn't promise to avoid driving herself this hard again. She hadn't lied earlier; Mitsurugi feared she would disappear entirely, or worse, if she could not complete this task. A fitting end, I suppose. From nothingness they came, and nothingness they shall wreak upon the final remnant of my world, as that remnant fails its duty once more. She stepped toward the mirror, heading back to the castle.

Spray

Maxwell looked as the goddess walked through the mirror, waiting a few moments to make sure that she had left.

Then he turned back and just nodded, uneasily. Looks like he wasn't being fired just yet...

But now that he had an opportunity to ask, the words already left his mouth.

"What's the pay?"

Maxwell froze up as soon has he said that. Good lord, what was he thinking?

"I-I mean, Uh... W-what happened to her, and how can I help her?"

• 2 weeks later...

Spray

For a moment, Sakuya was silent as she watched Mitsu head through the Mirror, face returning to that of sadness before she turned to Spray, bringing a hand to her chin as she thought about his questions, “Ah, yes, hm… I don’t believe there’s any true pay, but if you truly desire some form of payment, then… Well, you may have to discuss it with your companions.

As for Saigai-no-Mitsurugi… Although I have been graced with the knowledge of much of her past, there is still much I do not know. Mitsurugi is a Kami, with her domain being that of disasters. As awful as that may sound, it’s a natural part of life, and her presence ensured that the lands would be spared from worse disasters than ones brought by her hand. But eventually, she was cut from her faith, and is but a shadow of her former self. A Kami needs faith to function, and without it… They’re doomed to fade away”

With that, Sakuya dropped her hand, letting out a small sigh, “Truthfully, I cannot tell you how to approach her. But delicacy is an important aspect with her. She has been through much, and will continue to go through more for the foreseeable future. That is a natural consequence of her status.”

Spicy, Lexiel, Ako

“I would be too, knowing that I’m helping a just cause” Ako stated, reaching out to take the contract, instinctively taking out her celestial brush, “Where do I sign? Just at the bottom?”

Letting out a final chirp, Jamba merely shakes his head, the green sparrow hopping forward for his cue, “No, you are free to go. If you ever wish to rest your feet though, the Great Boss would be honored to let you stay at the Inn whenever you wish, as thanks for returning the establishment to him.”

Spicy HG gives a simple bow.

"Then we should be taking our leave."

She glances over to Lexiel and Ako.

"I'm going to go see what Mitsurugi and the new guy are up to when you're ready to catch up."

With that she turns simply and wanders back down the trail to the front of the Inn.  Eventually meeting where Spray, Sakuya, and the Mirror were standing.

"What's all this?"

Spray

The rookie looked over at the people arriving, half-tempted to yell at them for not showing up to help. But he kept his temper in check as best he could.

"Mitsurugi was... troubled by how she handled things back there," Spray gestured to the building where the goddess had decapitated the demon earlier. "I tried to talk to her about it, but... said things I regret. If I may ask... what do you know about her? Has she... brought her issues up before?"

Spicy HG sighed and slowly frown.

"Yeah I've been on a couple missions with her now.  She's an older diety than I am, probably a few centuries or millennia.  She's also..."

Spicy shook her head slowly, like someone disappointed more than sad.

"I think she also believes she's on a path destined to lead her to falling.  The only other person I know to go through anything remotely similar hasn't exactly done much better."

Spray nodded. "I... does that mean there's nothing we can do to help her? Sakuya here mentioned something about Mitsurugi being cut off from her faith, and Mitsurugi herself mentioned... Is there some way we could... give her faith somehow? Praying for her, maybe?"

"Well she isn't entirely cut from her-"
She cuts herself off and jerks her head to look to the side.  It occurred to her mid-sentence that likely not everyone needed to know about the sheath of Mitsurugi's blade.  She slowly turned back and spoke again.
"It doesn't really matter.  What does is that she needs more faith, and good faith at that.  I'm sure that robot Goddess wouldn't mind some either.  Along with anyone else in the castle who's a divine or worships one."
She got a bit of a smile on her face and clapped her hands together, rubbing them and looking the slightest bit smug.
"I think.  I'm going to convert one of the rooms in the castle into a Basilicom.  Let anyone come setup shrines inside for whatever kind of worship or sacrifice they like."

"Shrines, huh? I don't really know much about that sort of thing, but if you need any help..." Spray pointed to himself. "Anyway, how'd things go for you folks? We got our next location, or...?"

Spicy HG shrugged.

"We don't really have much information we didn't know before, just reinforcement of old things.  The plan so far is still to go defeat the other two demons sealing the cave and then deal with the demon king."

She looked around, suddenly realizing something missing.

"Where is Mitsurugi anyway?"