[Trespassers V2 Subplot] Okami: Stains upon the Canvas

GodofGamingRWBY

Ako

"Oh, sure. The hot springs and secluded forest are two of the highlighting features of this place, and if my hunch is right... Well, you'll see soon" Ako replied as she stepped on the lift, waiting until Spicy stepped on as well before sending it down, returning the two to the reception area. Unlike when they first arrived, the inn was now just silent, not a speck of life moving in the room or a sense of dread lingering in the air. Just no one around, leaving the two free to make their way down the stairs and off to a side "door", which consisted of a simple curtain rather than anything solid.

Immediately, the sound of both rushing water and an occasional loud, hollow bang came to Spicy's ears as the two stepped out of the Inn, coming to what was clearly the hot springs of the inn, resting within a clearing of the mountain that surrounded them. Several large sections had been carved out for the springs themselves, with a small fountain jutting out from the rock above and pouring water into an extremely large shishi-odoshi, which was the cause of the occasional bangs. But, looking around, there was one sight that stood out amongst the calming scenery.

Specifically, a bamboo gate to the left, seemingly leading to a tunnel through the mountain, barred by some sort of one-eyed demon shaped like a lock, staring intently at the two women as they entered its area.

"Just as I expected, a Lockjaw. Must've been put here to keep people out of the forest" Ako commented as she took in the Lockjaw's appearance, beginning to approach it. At first, the demon didn't seem to react outside of simply staring at her, but once it noticed the arrow held within her hand, the demon began to visibly sweat, quivering in fear as it came closer. Thankfully, it didn't need to live in fear that long, as once she was close enough, the Shrine Maiden simply lifted the arrow, tossing it like a dart directly into the demon's eye. For a moment, the demon froze as the arrow went through, but after a moment, the seemed to turn with a noticeable 'clicking' sound, like a lock being undone, before the demon laxed, tongue hanging out for a brief moment before it puffed into purple smoke, the gate that it was holding shut suddenly opening of its own accord.

"Fairly harmless demons, but pretty hard to get rid of. Practically impervious to anything unless you play by their rules, which is to just 'unlock them' with a key. But now that it's gone, um.... Would you like to head in first?"

• Replies 266
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Spicy HG watched curiously as Ako dealt with the demonic doorway.  She nodded once at the request to go first.

"Gladly.  You know I've been thinking.  Mitsurugi seems very familiar with this world, its traditions and expectations, I imagine it must be very similar to her own-"
She stepped up, and with a flick lit the blade of her weapon to use as a torch to light their way through the tunnel.
"And I can't help but feel a certain familiarity as well, but everything is just so...ancient here."

"A special grove?  Wonder what's there," Lexiel follows along behind Ako and Spicy HG, "Green magic isn't anywhere close to my specialty, but it's interesting to study even if I can't use it."

Ako

"That would make sense. She seems well in-tune with the world already. Though, Nippon as a whole has always been one for keeping with tradition. It gives us comfort knowing that the gods watch over us" Ako responded to Spicy, before quickly turning to Lexiel, "Well, generally it's a sanctuary for various animals, mainly tigers. It's mostly used as a place for special events or for people to have some peace and quiet" she answered as the three went through the tunnel, stepping past lanterns that had yet to be relight, guided only by Spicy's flame. Thankfully, the tunnel wasn't that long, and in less than a minute the three came out on the other side, revealing a long staircase... Marked with resting spears, lying haphazardly along the steps. Further ahead, the stairs continued on into a well-made path, lined with the bamboo forest itself as it made it's way through the mountain's gap. Of course, one of the most noticeable features of the path was the various animals that were minding their own business, such as small sparrows, rabbits, and as Ako said before, tigers., most of which were dozing off the path, thankfully.

"Well, aside from being locked down, nothing seems to have really changed. The lights being off is different and the spears aren't normal, but it doesn't-" Ako began whilst the three moved down the path, gazing at the various animals lounging about. At least before a loud voice suddenly interrupted her once the group reached a second uphill path, coming from the top of the path. Specifically from a... Child-sized sparrow with a visible x scar on the left side of its face, flanked by another bird that seemed like its mirror image. The only difference was that one a wore blue shirt, while the other wore dull green.

"HEY YOU! SHRINE MAIDEN AND COHORT! HOW'D YOU THREE GET IN HERE?!" the blue bird shouted, flapping its wings angrily at the group from where it stood.

In response, Ako had to suppress a sigh, before clearing her throat to address the two birds, "We came through the Inn itself. The demon that imprisoned you here has been exterminated, and we were checking this area to ensure that the inn was safe. Would you allow us to see the Great Boss Jamba so we can bring the news to him?" she shouted back, causing both the sparrows to seemingly jump back in surprise, turning to each other and speaking loud enough that their voices carried all the way back down the path,

"R-Really? Huh. That demon was one tough cookie to crack, even the Boss couldn't defeat it..."

"Only because it used the Boss's daughter as a hostage to get its way! The Boss would never let any harm befall his daughter, even if it means relinquishing control of the inn!" the blue sparrow replied, causing the green one to nod in agreement, turning back to the three with another nod,

"True, true. Alright, you three can pass. The Boss would love to hear that the inn is cleared out." 

With that, the two birds hopped off to the sides of the path, leaving it clear for the three to pass once they managed to get to the top of it. Seeing the path clear, Ako took in a breath, finally allowing her sigh to go through, "Well, that's a better welcome than I've ever gotten. Those two can be a real handful."

Mitsu and Maxwell

In the midst of Mitsu's depressive episode, something managed to catch Mitsu's gaze from outside the front gate of the Sparrow Inn, something that had either been glossed over when they first arrived... Or simply appeared while they were inside the inn. Specifically, a small altar holding a reflective mirror, gazing down on a smooth, circled stone. Any other details from where she stood were impossible to distinguish, aside from the aura that radiated from it.

An aura of warmth, similar to that of the Shrine that the group had encountered when they first arrived in this world.

Mitsu

A mirror. . . It reminded her of Amaterasu; the thing was likely some shrine to her. She doubted she'd leave her own mirror just laying about. . . but then, given the way her miko acted, perhaps it wasn't that far out there. A reflection of truth, and truth only. When I look into it, what will I see? Mitsurugi gave Spray a polite nod, before silently moving to gaze into the mirror, walking at a somber pace.

Spicy HG enjoyed the scenery as they past, watching the animals lounging about as they passed with a smile.  She stayed silent during the exchange with the two birds, but looked to Ako after they finished.

"So who is this Great Boss Jamba?"

Ako

"Ah, well... He's the boss of the Sparrow Clan, and owner of the inn itself. He's a pretty big deal here in Taka Pass, and... Well, you'll see in a bit" Ako replied, rubbing the back of her head as she took the first step up the path. As the three approached the crest of the path, what excited voices could be heard from up ahead, alongside an occasional deep 'chirp' that spoke above the rest. Sure enough, the path led up to a large clearing, 4 giant bamboo trees circling the area with dozens of various clothed sparrows darting about happily... Gathering around an oversized 'sparrow' clothed in fine robes, along with an eyepatch over one eye and a noticeable mustache that curved upwards. Sitting at his side a far smaller sparrow, dressed in a small yellow kimono and bearing a pink ribbon upon their head.

Jamba's theme

Spoiler

Standing in front, the two sparrows that initially greeted the group were once again present, the blue one jumping forward and dramatically waving their wing at the sparrow behind him, "Well, we've already told the Boss the news while you were coming, but a proper greeting is in order for you two. Not the Shrine Maiden, at least. You stand before Great Boss Jamba, leader of the Sparrow Clan, and his daughter, Chun" the sparrow began, continuing to gesture at the two sparrows behind him, though while Chun gave the three a smile and wave, Jamba stayed still, barely even moving as he was introduced.

Taking his cue, the green sparrow jumped forward as well, clearing his throat before speaking, "Normal folk would never get the chance to meet the Boss face to face on such short notice. But, that demon was a real handful, so we-"

Chirp

Suddenly, a deep chirp rumbled out of Jamba, causing the blue and green sparrow to turn back to him, as if in shock of what he just did,

"Uh oh! The boss is..."

"... Grateful for your assistance!"

Mitsurugi

As she approached, it became increasingly clear to the Goddess that the mirror was in fact belonging to Amaterasu, partially due to the fact that the circular disk in front of it bore a symbol that appeared to be that of the sun. Nevertheless, the aura of warmth seemed to grow as she stepped on the disk and gazed into the mirror, her body becoming lighter as if the chains that held her down started to slacken just a little bit.

At first, the mirror showed nothing to the distraught Goddess, simply offering a reflection of her gaze. But, after a few moments, the surface of the mirror began to shimmer, slowly revealing...

Spoiler

Rain pelted the wooden hull of the ship, storm clouds casting all in darkness as a great serpent coiled above the water's surface. It was too dark to properly see, but there was a malice the serpent held as it slowly weaved its head about the air, observing the ship. It was also clear that the serpent had no face to speak of, but it was also clear that it kept its head towards the ship. For a moment, Mitsu could feel as though the serpent was looking directly at her.

Then, for a moment, the malice she felt was gone, replaced by the warmth she had felt just a few moments ago as a white blur entered her vision, leaping off of the ship and onto the back of the great serpent, finally causing the beast to move its gaze from the ship. In contrast to the darkness, the white blur seemed radiant, acting as a beacon as it raced across the serpent's scales, leaving a trail of flowers and grass in its wake. And then-

"Hello Saigai-no-Mitsurugi. I am Sakuya ,Guardian Spirit of Kamiki, and helper of Amaterasu, Origin of all that is Good and Mother to us all. it's a pleasure" suddenly, a feminine voice rang out from the shimmering mirror as it finally began to settle down, showing an utterly gigantic sakura tree resting upon a large hill. Strangely enough though, the mirror showed nothing else, not even the woman that had just introduced herself.

Mitsurugi

The disaster goddess gave a polite bow to the mirror, despite the lack of a figure in it. It was deeper than her typical, one indicative of their equal, but high standing. "Greetings to you as well, Guardian of Kamiki. Meeting a helper of Ōhirume-no-Muchi-no-Kami herself is an honor, especially given the other denizens of this land we have encountered thus far." And a powerful relief as well. She wasn't sure what to draw of the vision the artifact had shown her. The eyes of Orochi were upon her, that much was clear - but was it a warning, or a sign that she could be saved? "Were you the one who sent that vision to me?"

Spicy HG gave the proprietor of the Inn and clan leader a bow once they had approached.

"You have a beautiful Inn here, we were happy to help rid it of such demons."

She straightened up fully, changing her tone a demeanor in the ways that show one's great practice in giving many long leading speeches and statements.

"We three Great Kami and our companions are in search of demons and the greater beings they may be in league with.  Have you any knowledge of such?"

• 2 weeks later...

Ako, Spicy, and Lexiel

Letting out another deep chirp, the Great Boss Jamba tilted his head down towards Spicy, then glanced at the blue sparrow in front of him, cueing them in to speak, “The Boss is surprised that three Kami would come to his inn, but he doesn’t know of any associates of that demon. He believed that-” the henchman began, only to be cut off by Chun jumping up and hopping over to the group,

“Actually, while that demon had me separated from my Father, I did overheard her talking about some other things. Mostly about a samurai, skeleton, and serpent” she began, her demeanor suddenly shifting to one of worry as she continued, “Though… She did talk about something else. How the Great Demon King was due to revive at week’s end. I couldn’t bring myself to listen to anything more because-”

Chirp

Another deep sound erupted from Jamba, cutting through his daughter’s worry and, once again, causing the two henchmen to jump in shock,

“Uh oh! The Boss is…”

“... Worried that He could be returning!” the green sparrow finished, pausing for a second as he put two and two together, quickly facing the trio with an terrified expression, "Wait, does that mean... That demon was working for Him?!"

Mitsurugi

“I’m afraid not. Perhaps the Mirror attempted to connect to Amaterasu before I answered… Though I’m not sure where she is as of now. All I know is that she’s rather busy at the moment” Sakuya admitted, her tone relaying the fact that she was somewhat worried for Amaterasu’s safety. Regardless, she seemed to shake it off fairly quickly, continuing on with her normal, graceful tone, “Still, how is your journey through Nippon? I hope Spray’s help has been valuable. Amaterasu had high faith in him before she left to handle her share in this ordeal.”

Mitsurugi

"The journey has been. . ." She faltered. The journey had been rife with demons. Rife with challenges to her skill, her power, and her very being. Rife with tensions between herself and the rest of the group, herself and this world she'd thought so welcoming, herself and the dark things she'd tried to pretend did not lurk within her breast. ". . . challenging. But we are making progress." Centuries of practice let her mask the unease in her voice, the fact that she didn't know what she, herself, was progressing toward. "Spray is woefully misunderstanding of the conflict which he has been suddenly thrust into, but his heart seems earnest enough." 

Spray

Not really sure what to do or say - how much of this conversation was he even supposed to be hearing? - the rookie merc decided to simply keep an eye out for any trouble, leaving Mitsurugi to talk it out with Sakuya.

• 3 weeks later...

Ako, Spicy, and Lexiel

“The Demon was working for him, without a doubt. They were one of the few fueling a barrier at the entrance of the Moon Cave” Ako followed up, causing Jamba to nod slightly, another chirp rumbling from the Great Boss, causing the green sparrow to jump forward, 

“The Boss understands, though he’s still surprised that a Demon would wrestle control of the Inn away from him” the henchman translated, the hopping back as the blue one jumped forward in the same instant,

“Still, he wishes to know if there’s anything you desire as thanks for returning the Inn to him. The Boss is very powerful, you know. He can grant pretty much any wish a human could ask for.”

Mitsu and Spray

“I see, I suppose I’m to blame for not giving him the proper preparations” Sakuya replied, either not noticing Mitsu’s unease or simply not commenting on it, “Ah, yes, there is something I needed to relay that you and your friends may find useful. The Origin Mirror that we are speaking through also serves as a gateway that Amaterasu used to quickly traverse Nippon during its time of crisis. It took a bit, but I was able to connect the system to your Castle. It… Wasn’t easy, considering it’s mode of transportation.”

"Very powerful and an enemy of the demons you say?  I may have a proposition for you," Lexiel offers the Great Boss Sparrow.  She raises her right hand, arcane sigils hovering around it, and conjures a glowing, translucent scroll embossed with Izzet and Boros guild symbols, unfurling it dramatically, "I have the ability to make contracts with persons of extreme personal potency, allowing them to be summoned as aetheric constructs even on other worlds.  It would put you at absolutely no personal danger, you would be aware of what actions your aetheric counterpart has done, and I do not believe one has ever acted in a way that would be counter to the original's goals or desires.  It would also allow you to take the fight to these things that have assaulted your home and world even in place where you, personally, cannot go.  And it would give me a mighty ally to call upon in the service of this mission, of course."

"I see." That was interesting. Unanticipated, if not entirely surprising now that she'd been told. "It is good to know that the return journey will be easy, once we've purged this land of the demons threatening it." It may be safer if I left now. Can I really leave such a task as this incomplete? She glanced over at Spray for a moment, before electing to not discuss him further. Humans tended to be offended when other people, especially divine beings, spoke of their incapability, and she had little opportunity to see the man's true strength. "Is there anything else you or Amaterasu wishes to tell me?"

Spray

The rookie couldn't help but overhear Sakuya mention a castle, and got curious. Spray felt bad for interrupting, but he'd learned it was better to ask questions sooner than later.

"What's this 'Castle' you're talking about? Is it gonna be our home base for this operation? Does that mean we could use one of the mirrors to just go there, resupply or swap out for fresh troops, and then go back? If that's the case..." Spray looked towards the melancholy (though she looked a little less sad now) goddess nervously. After a few moments of trying to figure out how tactfully he could word "You should take a break", Spray settled for making a vague hand gesture or two in her direction.

Hopefully that wasn't too disrespectful... The goddess on the other end of the mirror had seemed pretty tolerant of even his more unpleasant habits, but everything had a limit.

"We're looking for the descendant of Nagi, who helped Amaterasu in defeating the Demon King before.  We believe he lives in Kamiki under the name Susano, but if you could help us finding him faster that would be greatly appreciated."

"It is indeed. A fortification that floats through the liminal spaces between worlds and takes us safely to each new one. I am not certain, however, how easy it will be to return." Her eyebrows drew a hair downward. "And I do not wish to leave this realm until my purpose here has been fulfilled." Mitsurugi turned back to Sakuya, awaiting her answer to the earlier question - as well as Spray's.

Ako, Spicy, and Lexiel

As soon as Lexiel finished explaining the concept of her 'contracts', earning a slight head tilt from the Great Boss, Ako leaned in close to the angel, "They meant more of 'influential power', not in proper combat. Jamba's tough, he's just a bit... Out of shape" she whispered, keeping her tone low so that Jamba, or rather his henchmen, didn't overhear her blasphemy, "I'd be more than happy to sign one of those though, if you're willing."

At the mention of Susano, however, the blue clad sparrow gave Spicy a questioning look, "That old geezer? I mean sure he helped kill the Demon King that one time lazy, alcoholic-" he began, raising a wing and, somehow, raising individual feathers like fingers in order to list off Susano's qualities... At least before another deep chirp erupted from Jamba, interrupting the henchmen and causing them to quickly correct themselves, "I mean, yes, the Boss has been keeping an eye on Kamiki Village for a while now, like he does with the other provinces of Nippon. Susano doesn't tend to leave the village, and if he does he keeps to Shinsu Field. The Boss believes that after the original Demon King incident he decided to settle down. So he should still be around there."

Spray and Mitsurugi

"Unfortunately no, she did not, but if I may, Saigai-no-Mitsurugi... It may be best if you take Spray's advice for this moment. With the power given to me, I can keep a connection between this world and your Castle intact, ready to open at any moment. I feel like the momentary rest will be good for you."

"Rest?" Genuine surprise echoed in her voice. "I am a guardian spirit, here to bring ruin to this land's enemies before ruin is brought to it." Mitsurugi shook her head. "I will find rest when the foe is vanquished and not before. To do otherwise would be dereliction of the already-cracked promises that define my being." She knew, of course, that the others were likely correct. She was tired, unbalanced, pushing the edges of her control. Already, she'd slipped, leaving devastation behind her. "I cannot abandon another land before it is safe."

Spray

Spray just barely managed to keep from facepalming, but his patience had still worn away. Enough walking on eggshells. The medic clenched his fists and walked up to the swordsgoddess, pointing his finger in her face as he began to speak.

"Okay, then. Tell me: what part of your promises included exhausting yourself? 'Cause you ain't gonna help save this land if you collapse over mid-way through because you decide your promise means not taking breaks or trusting in your colleagues. You've been injured enough already. If you try to face down the instigator of this mess without proper rest or... whatever it is heals you, you're gonna die! I'm advising you as a medic and your colleague - Take. A. Break!"

Spray knew he was making a big mistake going off on his teammate like this, but he still didn't regret saying what he said - what else, if anything, was going to get through to her?

Mitsurugi slowly turned to face Spray; she could almost have been mistaken for calm if the seething anger in her eyes hadn't been boring into Spray's skull. "Do not deign to speak to me like that, ye of little faith." Her existence seemed to exert a force in and of itself, pressing down on the medic. . . until the thunderclouds in her eyes dispersed, anger falling back to melancholy. "My life is a promise, my existence trust. If I cannot hold myself to this, then that oath goes unfulfilled, and my existence is all but forfeit." The golden orbs turned downward. "A guardian spirit who can only destroy. That is what I am; if I must be destroy myself to keep this land safe, then so be it."

Spray

"'Ye of little faith'?"

Mitsu was clearly an accomplished swordswoman, and the look in her eyes suggested more combat experience than he'd ever know. But at that moment, she was just like everyone else.

And Maxwell had gotten sick of it.

Almost as soon as she'd finished, Maxwell's fist shot out, a punch aimed straight for the gut. Not caring if Sakuya heard, Max shouted, "Fine, then! If you're so eager to get yourself killed, then fuck off! See if I care! Because I won't!" With that, Max turned away and left to rejoin the others.

Assuming they were better than she was.

The punch caught Mitsurugi off guard. It hurt, in her weakened state, and she'd been unprepared for an attack. The goddess made a choked noise as the wind escaped her lungs and she stumbled a step back from the impact. 

Unfortunately for Spray, he wasn't, in fact, dealing with a purely physical being.

He received no chance to finish his departure. Thunder cracked overhead as she seized his arm, a grip like iron threatening to break it entirely. She ensured that he could see her expression alight with indignant anger, her eyes glowing a sinister amber. "Maxwell Schiff. Your insolence will be your undoing." Her voice echoed with howling winds. "You have transgressed upon not only my divine authority, but dared to physically assault me as well." Her head tilted back slightly, even as her eyes narrowed. "Prostrate yourself, beg, throw yourself on my forgiveness, and your ruination may be forestalled." She let go and shoved him backward with a strength wholly out of scale with her size, watching him stumble with imperious expectation.