Anything Anime

Kai

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I never realized how beautiful the Symphogear Season 1 OST was until I downloaded the entirety of it and started listening to individual tracks and boy are there a lot of amazing tracks.

Well yesterday I watched the first four episodes of Log Horizon. Obviously I'm not far enough in to make any real judgment calls yet, but I'll give my first impressions. First, comparing it to other similar anime, then on its own.

Comparing the first few episodes of Log Horizon to SAO, it's a no-contest win for SAO, but that's to be expected. SAO's introduction sequence sets up a darker theme than Log Horizon, which is more my style. I think SAO is more compelling to me right now based on the fact that it is a death game, whereas Log Horizon is not. (At least at this point. As I said earlier, these are just first impressions. I have no idea how the plot will develop.) As such, SAO really becomes a reality for them, whereas Log Horizon is not quite so serious. In SAO, PVP was a serious problem, as people were actually dying, and while Log Horizon tries to make a big deal out of it as well, it just doesn't carry the same weight. As for combat, SAO is more action-packed and the animations are more exciting, but I do enjoy the more strategic side that Log Horizon shows. It's entertaining to see how Shiro gets them out of whatever situation they may be in (Though sometimes it's kinda bs). While I've heard that Log Horizon focuses on development of the characters and the world, so far I like both SAOs characters and world more. Again, I'm only four episodes into Log Horizon, while on the other hand, I know A LOT about SAO's world and characters through the light novels (Maybe too much), so it's not really a fair comparison at this point. I just find the 100 floor floating castle to be such a cool setting for the story. The castle also gives the characters a clear purpose and motivation in the game, whereas the players of Log Horizon don't really have anything to do other than play the game (At this point. I'm sure that will change...). But in general, I feel that comparing Log Horizon to SAO doesn't actually make much sense. I think Log Horizon is far closer to the .Hack series than SAO, and from what I've seen of both, it surpasses .Hack so far. (Although I did love Roots, I've gotta say.)

On it's own, Log Horizon is an unusual case for the "trapped in an MMO" genre. While it takes from the same general idea, in this case the game is not originally virtual reality, and the players don't know how they even got there. It makes for an interesting plot device to say the least. Rather than focusing on fast-paced action, it seems to lean more towards strategic play, more like modern MMOs. There is a focus on finding a purpose in the world which is also unusual for the genre. Normally, the characters almost always know what they need to do to escape, or they at least address the concern to escape. As of now, that doesn't appear to be the case in Log Horizon. The idea of escape has been addressed once so far, and was dismissed with a "Let's gather information." It seems sort of strange, but then again these are only the first four episodes.

All in all, I am enjoying the series so far. It's no SAO as of yet, but it's still entertaining. (I didn't really expect it to rival SAO though. SAO is a special place for me. It's a world that has interested me far beyond any other anime, and it will take something VERY good to take away its crown. Though admittedly, Attack on Titan came close.) In general, Log Horizon seems like a more laid-back anime with more humor inserts while SAO tends to be more serious.

• Support Squad

Fair first impressions but a lot of the things you talked about here are fixed or expanded upon a lot more later. It's got a slower start really and its positive points shine a lot more later on.

Fair first impressions but a lot of the things you talked about here are fixed or expanded upon a lot more later. It's got a slower start really and its positive points shine a lot more later on.

I expected as much. After all, I haven't even gotten to a point where the main plot is defined yet. It'd be hard to make a judgment call at this point. :)

• Support Squad

Iirc, until the end of the first season there is no main plot per se, just a lot of small arcs. At the end a proper antagonist is brought in doe, so yeah.

I can already see the plotwist where his sister isnt dead and was actually kidnapped, by the "scientists". Also I have the strong feeling Overlord is going to have an more then open end and will never see a second season.

Edit: Also Chaos Dragon wtf pls, way to many twists like srsl I have no idea, what is actually going on in that series.

man you were totally right about charlotte, the preview for episode 9 shows her on a lab n shit. also, i think overlord will be incomplete, since it's another 1-cour anime produced by madhouse (like btooom! and no game no life).

i dropped chaos dragon at like episode 4 and i saw previews where the people ibuki killed were still alive. does that make the series worth continuing or is it still crap, because even now it's one of this season's most boring/hated anime.

Edited by Gore

i dropped chaos dragon at like episode 4 and i saw previews where the people ibuki killed were still alive. does that make the series worth continuing or is it still crap, because even now it's one of this season's most boring/hated anime.

Well, if you like to be confused as fuck it´s something for you, although Idk if they are doing that on purpose or if their are just giant plotholes, that will probably be clear in futher episodes.

Also, after so many were talking about Ushio to Tora, I gave it a shot and can say it´s actually pretty decent. (never watched the OVA though, so Idk if their are any major differences)

So, I started watching Aria the Animation and finished the first episode. I have to say, this series is a really nice change of pace. The music is nice, the tone is overall calm, and the Venice-styled setting looks really nice. I can't believe I didn't watch this sooner.

• 2 weeks later...

I expected as much. After all, I haven't even gotten to a point where the main plot is defined yet. It'd be hard to make a judgment call at this point. :)

Imo, Log Horizon feels more like a love letter to MMOs and their ilk. Like it focuses more on the actual aspects of what it'd be like to be trapped in the game etc... and does a lot of the "Well, what would happen if this thing from MMO's was suddenly a real life situation.?" Personally... that's why I find it much more interesting than like SAO... SAO doesn't really matter that they are in an MMO... the MMO is really just used to explain how they are fighting etc in imo a sorta catch all way that's a bit lazy.

It's easy to go, "Oh, they can do that cause MMO magic." Which Imo... feels sorta cheap. But that's me lol.

Log Horizon uses the MMO stuff not just to explain things, but as if they were in it and they just do it in a way that feels more like the actual experience playing an MMO. Like, I actually get a weird nostalgia feeling towards my WoW days when I watch it and I can't explain why that happens in words ((Yes, the irony in the fact I'm a writer is not lost here.)) but you just feel it, at least I do from playing those games. There's jsut things used in it that feel very reminiscent of playing those games... and what it would be like if you lived in that world. Like... they use MMO mechanics to explain why things happen etc... and they feel like a real part of the world ((because they turn those weird mechanics into true things within the world in Log Horizon.)) like recently... they just explained sorta how all the monsters get all that random gold on them. ((I say recently since I just saw that episode as I'm catching up on Season 2 now that I have the time.)) and jsut other things etc... I really enjoy that aspect of it, it really feels like a love letter to those games and what they do for the people that play them. It of course mostly focuses on the good aspects.

And I'm be honest...((this is minorly spoilery...but eh. It in one of the early episodes don't remember when so it's nothing you didn't see by now Flux. And for the few things that are... it minor and nothing major. Like it' nothing plot related jsut things they mention, but imo... still remain cool.))

I thought the part that they didn't die at first... was really dumb. However... i quickly got over that. It made the stakes clearly different from things like SAO. This definitely works for this. Dying still has enough of a plenty fro them that they don't want to, but it also gives them the chance to jsut straight up fail at things and not jsut be dead. It makes it so they don't literally have to win every single time unlike things in SAO. If they lose... they die and they are no longer in the story. However... in Log Horizon they don't need to worry aobut striaght up killing a character and can instead show their failures and what those failures do to them. It's also more true to MMOs, your character revives in those. It shows the effects that would have on an actual person if that happened irl... but it ties it nicely with the whole MMO feel. Like, that's what's so appelaing about Log Horizon imo, it feels liek the MMO part of it actually matters. SAO... could easily jsut be a ANime set in a fantasy world without the flavour of the MMO. You could barely touch the plot and remove the ligth coating of the MMO. You can;t with Log Horizon. If you remove the MMO from Log Horizon... it's not the same show anymore.

Like... it was a minor thing but recently Log Horizon briefly touched on Players that were playing characters opposite their gender, saying that they would gradually have their voices sound more and more appropriate to the form they had. There was alos a small one where the Flavor Text... something in games that normally you know... jsut flavour, started to become real liek the items starting actually doing things their text said they did lol. It's stuff liek that which makes it sooooo damned interesting imo. It's an MMO Anime ACTUALLY about the MMO.

TL:DR: Personally, I don't believe SAO and Log should be compared. It's not fair to either of them imo. As shows they both have very different aims and takes on what they are doing, to the point they feel so vastly different to me. I think Log Horizon is one extreme while SAO sits on the other end. I get people are going to compare them because superficially they seem the same, but I don't feel they are the same. They both are going for very different takes on the subject matter.

Imo, Log Horizon feels more like a love letter to MMOs and their ilk. Like it focuses more on the actual aspects of what it'd be like to be trapped in the game etc... and does a lot of the "Well, what would happen if this thing from MMO's was suddenly a real life situation.?" Personally... that's why I find it much more interesting than like SAO... SAO doesn't really matter that they are in an MMO... the MMO is really just used to explain how they are fighting etc in imo a sorta catch all way that's a bit lazy.

It's easy to go, "Oh, they can do that cause MMO magic." Which Imo... feels sorta cheap. But that's me lol.

Log Horizon uses the MMO stuff not just to explain things, but as if they were in it and they just do it in a way that feels more like the actual experience playing an MMO. Like, I actually get a weird nostalgia feeling towards my WoW days when I watch it and I can't explain why that happens in words ((Yes, the irony in the fact I'm a writer is not lost here.)) but you just feel it, at least I do from playing those games. There's jsut things used in it that feel very reminiscent of playing those games... and what it would be like if you lived in that world. Like... they use MMO mechanics to explain why things happen etc... and they feel like a real part of the world ((because they turn those weird mechanics into true things within the world in Log Horizon.)) like recently... they just explained sorta how all the monsters get all that random gold on them. ((I say recently since I just saw that episode as I'm catching up on Season 2 now that I have the time.)) and jsut other things etc... I really enjoy that aspect of it, it really feels like a love letter to those games and what they do for the people that play them. It of course mostly focuses on the good aspects.

And I'm be honest...((this is minorly spoilery...but eh. It in one of the early episodes don't remember when so it's nothing you didn't see by now Flux. And for the few things that are... it minor and nothing major. Like it' nothing plot related jsut things they mention, but imo... still remain cool.))

I thought the part that they didn't die at first... was really dumb. However... i quickly got over that. It made the stakes clearly different from things like SAO. This definitely works for this. Dying still has enough of a plenty fro them that they don't want to, but it also gives them the chance to jsut straight up fail at things and not jsut be dead. It makes it so they don't literally have to win every single time unlike things in SAO. If they lose... they die and they are no longer in the story. However... in Log Horizon they don't need to worry aobut striaght up killing a character and can instead show their failures and what those failures do to them. It's also more true to MMOs, your character revives in those. It shows the effects that would have on an actual person if that happened irl... but it ties it nicely with the whole MMO feel. Like, that's what's so appelaing about Log Horizon imo, it feels liek the MMO part of it actually matters. SAO... could easily jsut be a ANime set in a fantasy world without the flavour of the MMO. You could barely touch the plot and remove the ligth coating of the MMO. You can;t with Log Horizon. If you remove the MMO from Log Horizon... it's not the same show anymore.

Like... it was a minor thing but recently Log Horizon briefly touched on Players that were playing characters opposite their gender, saying that they would gradually have their voices sound more and more appropriate to the form they had. There was alos a small one where the Flavor Text... something in games that normally you know... jsut flavour, started to become real liek the items starting actually doing things their text said they did lol. It's stuff liek that which makes it sooooo damned interesting imo. It's an MMO Anime ACTUALLY about the MMO.

TL:DR: Personally, I don't believe SAO and Log should be compared. It's not fair to either of them imo. As shows they both have very different aims and takes on what they are doing, to the point they feel so vastly different to me. I think Log Horizon is one extreme while SAO sits on the other end. I get people are going to compare them because superficially they seem the same, but I don't feel they are the same. They both are going for very different takes on the subject matter.

I would definitely agree that they should not be compared. I think I also said that somewhere in one of my posts about it, but yeah. They're so different fundamentally that you can't really compare them. As for the MMO aspect of both of them, I actually felt completely opposite about Log Horizon. For me, it seemed like Log Horizon was basically a fantasy world simply given the name MMO as a sort of eye-catcher and a basic set-up for the plot. The fact that the People of the Land are no longer simple NPCs, the fact that they use skills with their bodies now rather than a menu, and the fact that cooking and crafting and whatnot no longer follow the old MMO paths made it seem much less like an MMO and more like a real fantasy world to me, which I think is part of the point of the show's plot. There's also never a legitimate reason given for how they arrived in that world, leading to a deducement of "magic," as one would expect from a fantasy world, rather than technology, as one would expect from a VR anime. The only real MMO aspect Log Horizon retains that is noticeable to me is player levels/stats and raid battle strategies. I agree that you could also take the MMO out of SAO and it would work fine as well, with some adjustment to the character's personalities and backstories, but to me, it seemed more determined to stay on the MMO path. The anime doesn't portray it as well as the light novels do (Actually, I'm having trouble thinking of a time they even speak with an NPC in the anime), but NPCs in SAO all have set dialogs that must be triggered by certain "keyword" voice commands in order to carry a conversation with them and receive quests, much like NPCs would be expected to in an MMO. The levels/skills thing is basically the same as Log Horizon, so there's no real difference there, but I suppose the items SAO introduces, such as teleport/healing/corridor crystals, healing potions, and map data also make it feel like an MMO to me, alongside the pet revival quest and whatnot. Log Horizon had items and quests too, but we see very few items, and the majority of the quests were major requests from the people of the land, such as "The Return of the Goblin King." It felt like they gave events like that the title "quest" purely as a reminder that it was once an RPG. Those are things you would expect any person in an actual fantasy setting to request help with, as they are actually a threat to the world, unlike SAO's pet revival flower quest for Beast Tamers or the "Sick Daughter" quest for a new sword on floor 1 (In the LNs).

Tl:dr, I felt like Log Horizon was purposely steering itself away from MMO and towards a true fantasy world, as a large focus of the story is that the world is their "new reality." SAO, on the other hand, seems to be much more dedicated to the video game theme, as seen by the numerous MMOs introduced in the arcs. Neither one of these paths is any better or worse, but it's just the way I saw things.

I re-watched an anime recently that I haven't watched for a long time and I noticed a lot of things I didn't notice the last 2 times..

it's sort of like when you watch a movie as a kid but then when you watch it again when you're older, you notice a lot of hidden meanings and whatnot.

Prime example, it's Toradora, since the last time I watched it, my friend told me Taiga is supposed to have Bipolar disorder and you can actually kinda see it 0_0

Another example is when you re-watch it and you've met someone since the last time who has the same name as one of the characters..

I watched 12 episodes of Squid Girl once.

...That's pretty much it.

My friends have recommended a bunch of anime to me (Sword Art Online, Attack on Titan (which my other friends thought would be "too gory and intense" for me... I see how it is >.>), and some yaoi thing about swimmers) but I never managed to get around to it.

I watched 12 episodes of Squid Girl once.

...That's pretty much it.

My friends have recommended a bunch of anime to me (Sword Art Online, Attack on Titan (which my other friends thought would be "too gory and intense" for me... I see how it is >.>), and some yaoi thing about swimmers) but I never managed to get around to it.

Well, if you ever do feel like getting around to it but aren't sure what to watch, there's always the recommendation thread. As for the specific examples, Attack on Titan is pretty good stuff if you don't mind a bit of gore and some darker scenes. As for SAO, come to me for a good (but honest imo) review or go to Gore if you want to hear about all its faults. We just recently hashed a bunch of stuff out. Neither of us made much progress, but between the two of us, I think you could form a pretty good opinion of the series's highlights and downfalls.

Anyway, I recently started watching Overlord, and the concept is pretty interesting. I've only seen two episodes so far, but I like the direction it's taking. (And I understand Hukuna's avatar now!) It seems somewhat similar to Log Horizon at first glance, but you can already tell that it's going to go down a completely different path. There are a lot fewer player-characters, and I'd imagine that things are going to turn into a guild-war of sorts.

Anyway, I recently started watching Overlord, and the concept is pretty interesting. I've only seen two episodes so far, but I like the direction it's taking. (And I understand Hukuna's avatar now!) It seems somewhat similar to Log Horizon at first glance, but you can already tell that it's going to go down a completely different path. There are a lot fewer player-characters, and I'd imagine that things are going to turn into a guild-war of sorts.

I kiiiiiinda have a weird thing for Albedo...and I dunno why. Like... she seems like a character I would super hate but I love every second she's on screen because it's bloody hilarious a lot of the time. It's so weird and I can;t explain it but oh is she quickly becoming one of my favourite characters. ((Lal Mirch form KHR will probably remain my favourite.... but daaaaamn I really really like Albedo.))

Overlord's defs I think my fav anime this Season and probably going to be an one there one for me, I was hooked at episode 1 and have been the whole time. Lot of people were saying it was slow until like 7... but I honestly never felt that myself. I've been happy with it the whole time XD.

I kiiiiiinda have a weird thing for Albedo...and I dunno why. Like... she seems like a character I would super hate but I love every second she's on screen because it's bloody hilarious a lot of the time. It's so weird and I can;t explain it but oh is she quickly becoming one of my favourite characters. ((Lal Mirch form KHR will probably remain my favourite.... but daaaaamn I really really like Albedo.))

Overlord's defs I think my fav anime this Season and probably going to be an one there one for me, I was hooked at episode 1 and have been the whole time. Lot of people were saying it was slow until like 7... but I honestly never felt that myself. I've been happy with it the whole time XD.

Sometimes certain shows just click with certain people. Same goes for certain characters. It comes to the point where you can overlook all of its faults because it entertains you. That's like me with SAO, which is easily my favorite of any anime I've seen. I realize that the pacing was super weird, but I loved the fact that they did it that way, even though it's one of the series's biggest criticisms. I love the characters, even though many people think they're pretty bland. I love the world, to the point where I know way too much about the actual mechanics of SAO. The point is that while many people may not like the slower pace that Overlord -apparently- takes for a while, you seem to enjoy the setting and characters enough for it to be entertaining anyway. Like I said, I'm only on episode 2, so I can't give an opinion on the pacing, but the show seems good to me so far. (I'm also in the middle of like four different anime that I really need to finish...)