Rock Climb - A Guide (Updated For E18 [All Locations] Spoilers!)

HahnSolo

What is rock climb?

Rock climb is a Hm'ish normal type move introduced in generation 4 that allows the user to scale certain types of cliffs. Throughout the game, you might encounter some of these spots.

Where can I get rock climb?

Spoiler

Rock Climb is acquired by Hardy after talking to him at the start of E18. It can be also learned or bred to a handful of available Pokemon in Reborn. These Pokemon are as follows:

Venipede - Level up (40)

Whirlipede - Level up (46)

Scolipede - Level up (50)

Scraggy - Level up (45)

Scrafty - Level up (51)

Druddigon - Level up (49)

Rockruff - Level up (45)

Lyranroc - Level up (45 in all 3 forms)

Ferroseed - Breeding (Ferrothorn)

Ferrothorn - Move Tutoring 

Sandshrew - Breeding (Scraggy/Rockruff line)

Geodude/A-Geodude - Breeding (Ferrothorn)

Onix - Breeding (Ferrothorn)

Rhyhorn Breeding (Scraggy/Druddigon/rockruff line)

Gligar - Breeding (Venipede line)

Zigzagoon - Breeding (Scraggy/Rockruff line)

Bidoof - Breeding (Scraggy/Rockruff line)

Gible - Breeding (Scraggy/Druddigon)

Drilbur - Breeding (Scraggy/Rockruff line)

Sandile - Breeding (Scraggy/Rockruff line)

Joltik - Breeding (Venipede line)

Bouffalant - Breeding (Scraggy/Rockruff line)

Durant - Breeding (Venipede line)

If you have any trouble locating any of these Pokemon, you can always consult with the Pokemon location guide linked here

Any Pokemon caught that don't have the move already can be taken to the move re-learner in the Onyx Ward/Agate Circus 

The most convienant means of acquiring a Pokemon with rock climb would be to catch Druddigon in Titania's Gym or Route 3 (Caves). 

They almost always already know the move when caught, saving some time and/or a heart scale. 

Where are these spots? Whats behind them?

These spots are all over the entire game. They can show up as early as the first few gyms or anywhere up until the current build of the game. Here's a list of the ones that I've found in no particular order. 

Location - Potential/Confirmed items or Pokemon behind them

Spoiler

Pyrous mountain entrance - Focus Blast TM
Celestinine Cascade (By water gym) - Sleep Powder/Rage Powder for Salandit event
Celestinine Cascade (One tile climb spot) - Salandit Cave/Elemental Seed item
Route 1 (end, by Agate city entrance) - Shortcut to Iolia Valley
Route 2 (By goomy trainer) - Shortcut to Ametrine City
Route 2 (Path to Celestine Cascade) - Shortcut back to Circus (Revive on one of the rocks)
Route 2 (Entrance from Circus/By hiker and rage plant/By hiker on train to Ametrine mountain) - Aerodactylite/Shortcut to Route 3
Route 3 (By Unbroken bridge) - Axew Egg Event; Dragon Fang; Synthetic seed (Rock by cave entrance); Potion (Rock in Cave); 
Route 4 (By Calcenon City entrance/Absol event) - E18 Story Progression 
Ametrine City (by cave exit to city) - Shortcut to Route 2
Azrune Island (Hidden behind some trees toward the bottom of the island) - Poisonium-Z (Hidden in the trees to the right)
Iolia Valley (Entrance) - Shortcut to Route 1
Iolia Valley (Gym Room) - Last Dark Material (For Deino Event [Subseven Sanctum])
Celestinine Mountain BF1 (Entrance by northern route 1 puzzle/By glaceon evolution stone) - Life orb/Ice Stone (Small strength puzzle)
Celestinine Mountain BF1 (Bottom of a series of waterfalls leading down starting from cave entrance) - Life orb/Ice Stone (Small strength puzzle)

Tanzan Cove (Cave on the lake) - Field Effect Read-Out 33; Pokesnax (On Rock); Super Repel (On Rock); 
                 Purple Shard (Rock); Stardust (Rock) Awakening (Rock);
                 Hyper Potion (Item By Puzzle); Elixer (Item by Puzzle);
                 Larvitar Event Part 2 (Use Earthquake twice in 'dead end' first room [Solve Puzzle])

Under Tanzan Mountain (By metal poles in the 'steelix' labyrinth) - Tiny Mushroom x2 (On Rocks); Dark Gem (Rock); Escape Rope (Rock);
                 Blue Shard (Rock); Dawn Stone (Rock); 
                 Larvitar Event Part 1 (Collapse the floors in both crystal rooms with Earthquake [Bring Revives!]);

Beryl cave (Cave entrance; 2 connected spots) - Red Shard (Hidden on Rock Tile); Hard Stone (Hidden on Rock Tile); 
                 Heart Scale (Hidden on on Rock); Fire Stone (Hidden on Rock)
                 Volcorona Event (In Crystal Cave [Use Dark Pulse in battle to unlock]);
                 Larvesta behind rock to the right of Volcorona Battle

Ametrine Mountain F4 (on sliding ice puzzle by cave exit) - F5 Access to BF4; Icium-Z (BF4); Blue Shard (On Rock); Paralyze Heal (Rock);
                 BF4 is fishable for Dratini! (Super Rod [Rare 5%'ish])

Teknite Range (After jumping strength puzzle) - Ability Capsule (On Rock by Egg); Jangmo-o egg

Spoiler

Note: These locations are all accessible post-E17. All temporary locations such as Meteor-Controlled Tanzan Mountain or the Glitch World, which are only available during those parts of the game may have rock climb spots, but would not be accessible unless there is some way to return to these locations. These spots are also subject to change at any point in time during the development. They could be moved or removed entirely. 

What can I do to help?

This guide is likely not complete. I may have missed some rock-climbing locations. If you notice anything missed or incorrect, feel free to let me know so I can edit the guide accordingly. If you also have any reliable information regarding what is behind some of these, or even theories, please let me know as well, so the guide can be updated with that information too.  Thanks for reading! Happy Hunting!

Tbh i wanted to write down too those spots just to be sure i had miss on one when Rock climb had been available (but my lazyness striked again). Really a good job, just from what i heard the last dark material should be in the rock climb behind Luna. The one at the beginning of Iolia valley idk what hides.

Edited by Ghost141

1 hour ago, HahnSolo said:

Tanzan Cove (Cave on the lake) - Unknown

People in other threads have said this is Larvitar's event.

1 hour ago, HahnSolo said:

Teknite Range (After jumping strength puzzle) - Unknown

And IIRC they've said this is Jangmo-o's.

Here's everything that I've personally confirmed in certain Rock Climb spots:

Spoiler

Ametrine Mountain F4 (on sliding ice puzzle by cave exit) - Ladder to access Floor 5, where Dratini is rumored to be.

Celestinine Mountain BF1 (Entrance by northern route 1 puzzle) - Life Orb + Ice Stone

Celestinine Cascade (By water gym) - Trees containing Sleep Powder and Rage Powder spores (necessary to access the Salandit event)

Route 2 (Entrance from Circus / Hiker and rage plant / Hiker near Ametrine entrance) - Shortcut to Route 3

Route 3 (Cave) - Axew Egg

Teknite Ridge (currently inaccessible area) - Jangmo-o egg

Under Tanzan Mountain (Cave accessable by metal poles deep in the 'steelix' labyrinth) - Larvitar Event

There's also a Rock Climb spot at Azurine Island with an unknown TM (may be a placeholder item).

Thanks @DevR and @wcv! I've updated the guide accordingly. I think the azurine island spot is for the last foongus that the player has to find for an NPC's quest (If they've renovated the island). I scoured the island looking for the spot and I couldn't seem to find the last one. That rock climbing area is the only other spot left. 

11 minutes ago, HahnSolo said:

Thanks @DevR and @wcv! I've updated the guide accordingly. I think the azurine island spot is for the last foongus that the player has to find for an NPC's quest (If they've renovated the island). I scoured the island looking for the spot and I couldn't seem to find the last one. That rock climbing area is the only other spot left. 

Pretty sure it's actually bugged regarding the last foon/amoongus from what i have heard.

8 hours ago, HahnSolo said:

What is rock climb?

Rock climb is a Hm'ish normal type move introduced in generation 4 that allows the user to scale certain types of cliffs. Throughout the game, you might encounter some of these spots.

They can range from a single tile in size to dozens that lead out of frame of the game's camera to entirely different areas. Unfortunately, as of the end of Episode 17, these spots are impossible to scale due to a TM/HM being unavailable and despite defeating the gym to unlock the moves use, its still unavailable until E18. Don't let that get you down however! We can still prepare and deduce what will be behind these annoying walls in the meantime! First things first, if the TM/HM is unavailable how do we get a hold of this move? 

Where can I get rock climb?

Rock climb, while being unavailable as a TM, can be learned or bred to a handful of available Pokemon in Reborn. These Pokemon are as follows:

Venipede - Level up (40)

Whirlipede - Level up (46)

Scolipede - Level up (50)

Scraggy - Level up (45)

Scrafty - Level up (51)

Druddigon - Level up (49)

Rockruff - Level up (45)

Lyranroc - Level up (45 in all 3 forms)

Ferroseed - Breeding (Ferrothorn)

Ferrothorn - Move Tutoring 

Sandshrew - Breeding (Scraggy/Rockruff line)

Geodude/A-Geodude - Breeding (Ferrothorn)

Onix - Breeding (Ferrothorn)

Rhyhorn Breeding (Scraggy/Druddigon/rockruff line)

Gligar - Breeding (Venipede line)

Zigzagoon - Breeding (Scraggy/Rockruff line)

Bidoof - Breeding (Scraggy/Rockruff line)

Gible - Breeding (Scraggy/Druddigon)

Drilbur - Breeding (Scraggy/Rockruff line)

Sandile - Breeding (Scraggy/Rockruff line)

Joltik - Breeding (Venipede line)

Bouffalant - Breeding (Scraggy/Rockruff line)

Durant - Breeding (Venipede line)

If you have any trouble locating any of these Pokemon, you can always consult with the Pokemon location guide linked here

Any Pokemon caught that don't have the move already can be taken to the move re-learner in the Onyx Ward/Agate Circus 

Where are these spots? Whats behind them?

These spots are all over the entire game. They can show up as early as the first few gyms or anywhere up until the current build of the game. Here's a list of the ones that I've found in no particular order. 

Location - Potential/Confirmed items or Pokemon behind them

Pyrous mountain entrance - Earthquake TM
Celestinine Cascade (By water gym) - Sleep Powder/Rage Powder for Salandit event
Celestinine Cascade (One tile climb spot) - Salandit Cave

Route 2 (By goomy trainer) - Unknown (Shortcut to Top of mountain?)
Route 2 (Path to Celestine Cascade) - Unknown

Route 2 (Entrance from Circus/By hiker and rage plant/By hiker on train to Ametrine mountain) - Shortcut to Route 3
Route 3 (By Unbroken bridge) - Axew Egg; Unknown item (Not a TM/Mega Stone/Field effect)
Route 4 (By Calcenon City entrance/Absol event) - Unknown
Ametrine City (by cave exit to city) - Unknown (Shortcut to route 2?)
Ametrine Mountain F4 (on sliding ice puzzle by cave exit) - F5 Access (Likely Fish-able Dratini Spot) 
Under Tanzan Mountain (Cave accessable by metal poles deep in the 'steelix' labyrinth) - Larvitar Event?

Iolia Valley (Gym Room) - Last Dark Material
Tanzan Cove (Cave on the lake) - Larvitar Event?

Celestinine Mountain BF1 (Entrance by northern route 1 puzzle/By glaceon evolution stone) - Life orb/Ice Stone (Small strength puzzle)
Celestinine Mountain BF1 (Bottom of a series of waterfalls leading down starting from cave entrance) - Life orb/Ice Stone (Small strength puzzle)

Teknite Range (After jumping strength puzzle) - Jangmo-o egg

Azrune Island (Hidden behind some trees toward the bottom of the island) - Possibly last foongus/Amoonguss for the one of the NPCs on the island

Reveal hidden contents

Note: These locations are all accessible post-E17. All temporary locations such as Meteor-Controlled Tanzan Mountain or the Glitch World, which are only available during those parts of the game may have rock climb spots, but would not be accessible unless there is some way to return to these locations. These spots are also subject to change at any point in time during the development. They could be moved or removed entirely. 

What can I do to help?

This guide is likely not complete. Lots of the game is subject to change, especially when future episodes are released and these areas are actually accessible. I may have also missed some rock-climbing locations. If you notice anything missed or incorrect, feel free to let me know so I can edit the guide accordingly. If you also have any reliable information regarding what is behind some of these, or even theories, please let me know as well, so the guide can be updated with that information too.  Thanks for reading! Happy Hunting!

Earthquake is definitely not there

Ame will make us work extremely hard for a tm that strong

On 8/1/2018 at 7:20 AM, HahnSolo said:

Azrune Island (Hidden behind some trees toward the bottom of the island) - Unknown (Last Foongus for NPC Quest?)

If I understand what you are talking about all Foongus are already accessible, there's no need to use Rock Climb to complete the quest

Well you wrote larvitar twice. Do both rock climb spots lead to the same location? Also thanks for this guide. Getting Hydreigon will be easy now I know where the last material is but still don't know where to use the items at.

You might maybe want to mention that Drudigon is available in Titania's gym in the area with a lot of grass. Those Drudigon have rock climb so it's the easiest way to get the move. Just for ease of access or something you know.

Both Rock Climb spots lead to different parts of the Larvitar event. You can't complete it without exploring both of those areas. 

Deino is found at the Subseven Sanctum. The process is the same as Litwick, but you need to make sure that you have 3x Dark Material in your bag.

3 hours ago, HahnSolo said:

I guess my game is bugged, I can't find the last one to save my life. What did the NPC give you, if anything on finishing that quest?

It’s a common bug. Post your save file over in troubleshooting someone can fix it.

On 8/1/2018 at 9:59 AM, LeoYT said:

Azrune Island (Hidden behind some trees toward the bottom of the island) - Possibly last foongus/Amoonguss for the one of the NPCs on the island

I will at least confirm that the item up there IS NOT a Pokemon. All Amoongus are reachable and killable during the E16 segment of the game. I have done it myself twice.

I guess I should at least confirm something else...since this topic came up...even if it's kind of obvious

Spoiler

By the end of episode 18, you will have access to all HMs including rock climb