Monotype Challenge!

Amethyst

Right, I managed to catch Giratina, and it was surprisingly easy actually. The first time it struggled itself to death (the fact I managed to last that long surprised me) but second time it only took 3 Dusk Balls. It's Brave, so it's not of any use, but then I can't use it anyway so it doesn't matter. I'm just heading to Sunyshore City now. I won't be catching any more legendary Pokémon besides Heatran (one of the requirements, that or beat it, but I'd rather catch it) and Zapdos (It's Electric-type lol.) Here's my status:

Badges - 7

Pokémon:

Luxray - Lv. 43

Pachirisu - Lv. 42

Rotom - Lv. 43

Jolteon - Lv. 43

Pikachu - Lv. 46

Magnezone - Lv. 44

Electabuzz - Lv. 41

(I'm gonna be switching around between them.)

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just posting to express my hope that this challenge will still exist by the time I return in Florence from my Xmas holiday, because for some reason I had never noticed this topic, but it looks really really interesting... I gotta do this sooner or later!

EDIT: what about the rules for Gen 5 games? B/W and/or B2/W2 are the games I would be more happy to play, along with HG/SS...

Edited by Tomas Elliot

I've gotta wait on my brother so I can trade my Electabuzz to evolve it before I can really take on Volkner, as nothing else I have can learn Earthquake. So I'm gonna stop for a bit and I'll update again after this post when I've beaten Volkner. Here's my status:

Badges - 7

Pokémon:

Luxray - Lv. 44

Pachirisu - Lv. 43

Rotom - Lv. 43

Jolteon - Lv. 43

Pikachu - Lv. 46

Magnezone - Lv. 44

Electabuzz - Lv. 44

OK, so I haven't posted in a while (mostly because I haven't been playing it) but I'm back now! And this time I've got all of the Gym Badges! Volkner's Luxray was kinda tedious, but other than that he was pretty easy. I could have sworn his Electivire had Earthquake. That's why he lost. Here's my status:

Badges - 8

Pokémon:

Luxray - Lv. 44

Pachirisu - Lv. 44

Rotom - Lv. 44

Jolteon - Lv. 44

Pikachu - Lv. 46

Magnezone - Lv. 44

Electivire - Lv. 45

• 2 months later...

Just found this topic and I've actually been doing this for a while now.

Just beat Radomus in Pokemon Reborn:

Venomoth(starter) ~58

Scoliopede ~58

Galvantula ~53

Heracross ~58

Yanmega ~58

Escavalier ~60

(Reserves- Vespiquen, Beedrill, Forretress, Vivillion, Leavanny)

Beat the elite Four in pokemon Crystal a few days ago:

Butterfree(Starter) ~38

Scizor ~45

Forretress ~41

Venomoth ~39

Parasect ~40

Heracross ~40

(Ledian, Ariados, Beedrill)

And i did a run of BW with all bugs but I cheated and used pokemon i traded to the game. But I'll fix that later :P

I also constantly use a Bug team in OU battles.

Started bug Mono is Emerald. First gym down.

Beautifly ~13

Dustox ~13

Nincada ~13

All I had to do was use absorb/confusion on the geodudes and Nincada wrecked that Nosepass with it's sweet Ground secondary type making Rock Tomb nuetral and Thunder Wave useless. Bring on the fighting type gym!

I did a Dark type Monotype for my playthrough of Y. I also never went back to catch a Pokemon I missed or do grinding until Victory Road. And didn't use Fly (Well, I used it for skipping Victory Road once I was through the first time, but other than that I did not) It was tough not being able to go back and catch stuff, but self-imposed rules are still rules. Oh, and HM slaves were legal for making a safe switch, as long as they didn't attack

Early on I was stuck with only three Pokemon and desperately needed something else. Couldn't go back and get Absol, so I grabbed something common and went nuts with Wonder Trade until I got a Larvitar

Grabbed a Zweilous grinding at Victory Road so my final E4 team consisted of my Greninja, Malamar, Tyranitar (Or was it still a Poopitar?), Zweilos (Or had she evolved?), and a couple HM slaves. I think. I may have had one more offensive Pokemon and only one HM slave, but those four are the ones that stuck around later when I was working on my competative team (They have all slowly been replaced as my team becomes more viable)

It was a fun little experiment. I'm likely going to do Poison in Reborn when I get a new PC and can record it

Wattson down. That magneton was a pain to bring down. Thankfully a few screeches made his type advantage less annoying. The manetric? Lol the Manetric. Couldn't even touch my Shedinja. It just died a slow painful demise. Pretty much the only reason Shedinja couldn't sweep was the Rollout on Voltorb and the Supersonic on Magneton.

Illumuise~ 20

Ninjask~ 21

Shedinja~ 21

Beautifly~ 22

Dustox~ 21

And another one bites the dust! This time the dreaded flannery. But it's cool, a little stun spore to slow down her first poke, then I have dig, double team, and swords dance on my ninjask. Poor fire types. So, it should be smooth sailing from here. Also, Illumuise is making some great wish support. It's making walking down routes a breeze. Plus it can mooch off exp it can't normally gain on it's own by being a lead and switching out for a quick heal [:)] I may consider keeping it over Pinser if things keep going well. Off to get me anorith!

Dustox ~27

Beautifly ~27

Ninjask ~27

Shedinja ~24

Illumuise ~27

I'm doing mono Normal in HGSS, where I beat Team Rocket in Goldenrod and headed for Blackthorn:

Raticate Lvl 43

Furret     Lvl 20

Tauros   Lvl 39

Ambipom  Lvl 43

I'm figuring of catching a Fearow and breeding Close Combat on a Snubbull and future Teddiursa.

Sorry it had to end this way dad. Took out Norman today. The Spinda and Vigoroth were a little annoying to take out. But once they were out of the way it was smooth sailing. Ninjask solo'd the Slaking by setting up a swords dance, then continuously digging all its HP away. And Shedinja made the linoone useless since it had no SE attacks. Dustox, Beautifly, and Anorith pulled thier weight on the other two nicely

Dustox~ lv29

Beautifly~ lv29

Anorith~ lv29

Illumuise~ lv27

Ninjask~ lv28

Shedinja~ lv25

Winona was quite annoying. Her Altaria even took a triple swords dance slash from my Ninjask and lived. You can thank Illumuise with Charm attack for letting it pull of those Sword dances :) But yeah, everything on her time was annoying to take out but I did and earned my 6th badge! The psychic gym should be cake now.

Beautifly ~32

Dustox ~31

Anorith ~33

Illumuise ~29

Ninjask ~33

Shedinja ~30

• 2 months later...

Just thought I'd leave one final update, I beat Wallace, but sadly I can't go on to beat steven because my emulator won't work after it restarts when beating Wallace, But overall, Sidney and Glacia were easy, Phoebe required a lot of Armaldo abuse and a few ethers on ancient power, Drake required some stun spore action and a max bulk up Heracross. Wallace, well, the Milotic required some careful playing around and planning, but Shedinja completely walled his big problems like Wailord, Gyrados, and even Wiscash. So, yeah no big deal.

Beautifly lv46

Armaldo lv48

Heracross lv 45

Ninjask lv 43

Shedinja lv 44

Dustox lv 34

Added notes: Tate and Liza were much harder than expected, the Claydol was a bulky monster and packed ancient power, it took a while to set up a good strategy for them. Juan was cake.

Edited by Zane0144

• 1 month later...

Man, I haven't updated my status on this since Christmas. I made it to the Pokémon League and the Elite Four was just ridiculously hard. Bertha was purely Ground-type and Raichu was too weak to OHKO her entire team with Grass Knot, especially Gliscor. Then Lucian's Bronzong walled me, and Alakazam had Calm Mind. Then Cynthia... ugh. I couldn't even reach her, and she had her Garchomp waiting for me. It took me 20 hours of grinding so that every Pokémon I own was level 55+, and even then it still took me like 10 tries to defeat Cynthia. However, I DID finally manage to beat the Elite Four and become Champion! But I forgot to update then. Instead, I went and finished everything in the post-game. I've beaten Stark Mountain, caught Heatran, caught Dialga and Palkia and used the Lunar Wing to save the kid having nightmares in Canalave. I'm so glad this is finally over, because while it was fun, it's been so long since I last played I don't remember any of it. I'm glad I made all these updates to jog my memory! But that Pokémon League was so hard. Really, if you plan on doing a monotype for Sinnoh, I advise not to do Electric, I caught every option prior to the league there was and without tutor moves it'll be tough, especially with the amount of grinding you'll need to do. It took forever. I'm not going to catch Mesprit, Cresselia, Articuno, Moltres or any of the 4 golems though. I used my Master Ball on Zapdos to save time, and I don't fancy trying to catch roaming Pokémon. I remembered seeing somewhere that Heatran was the finishing point for a gen 4 monotype, and while it doesn't HAVE to be, I just kinda stuck to that. I just threw Dialga and Palkia in at the end because they were level 70 and I wanted to see if I could get decent natures from them. (Dialga was Brave and Palkia was Naive.) I also remember saying in one of my previous posts I wasn't gonna any of the other legendaries, and while I'm not catching them all, I did end up catching Uxie and Azelf as I needed to fight them to gain access past the Fight Area, so forgive my unforeseen fib there. But yeah, as I said, I'm done. Here's the final update for my Platinum monotype:

Badges - 8

Pokémon:

Luxray - Level 61 (Thunder, Discharge, Crunch, Swagger)

Pachirisu - Level 60 (Thunder, Discharge, Seed Bomb, Super Fang

Rotom - Level 60 (Thunder, Charge Beam, Ominous Wind, Confuse Ray)

Jolteon - Level 60 (Thunder, Shock Wave, Quick Attack, Rock Smash)

Raichu - Level 60 (Thunderbolt, Grass Knot, Brick Break, Nasty Plot)

Magnezone - Level 60 (Thunder, Flash Cannon, Discharge, Magnet Rise)

Electivire - Level 60 (Thunderbolt, Earthquake, Psychic, Focus Blast)

Zapdos - Level 60 (Discharge, Charge, Agility, Roost)

Thanks to everyone who actually read any of my posts and took an interest in them, and sorry to those same people for not posting in so long. With the exception of the 20 hour grinding sessions I really enjoyed this playthrough! If I do any more monotype playthroughs, I'll be sure to post them here in future!

• 1 month later...

May as well update my Monobug Reborn playthrough :)

Beat Samson a while back, didn't save the levels i beat him at, but it turned out easy for me thanks to Yanmega getting some flinch hax in with Air Slash. I was starting to get worried the game wasn't going to be as challenging late game. Then....everything changed when the fire leader attacked. This gym, pretty much required me to prepare in advance. I had already fought it once on my main file. But that super heated field was going to wreck my bugs if left unchecked. (Why could we not have EQ or rock slide yet Ame? ;_; ) I needed 2 pokes for this, one I already had (volbeat), the other i had to back track to catch (Surskit)

So, I get to Charlotte. And use my prankster volbeat w/ damp rock to kill off that field right away and hinder her pokes. Then, masquerain immediately after uses water sport to make her fire useless. The rest of the match was devoted to keeping Masquerain alive. Cause water sport only lasts as long as the poke who used it is out. So, it basically quivered away until it took very little damage from anything. And it worked together with everything else to destroy her. But as sound as this strategy is it still took a while because I had to get around that hp rock Typhlosion was using :/ But it was a lot of fun having to actually strategize for a gym again. Hadn't had much of it lately with psychic and dark being wrecked by my bugs.

Anyway here's the team I won with.

Volbeat/Gemini lv 42

(Damp Rock) w/ Prankster

Rain dance  <----- Only thing that matters

--------

--------

--------

Masquerain/Aquarius lv 68

(Focus Band) w/ Unnerve

Air Slash

Rain Dance

Quiver Dance

Water Sport

Galvantula/Cancer lv 68

(Scope Lens) w/ Compound Eyes

Sticky Web

Bug Buzz

Charge Beam

Discharge

Venomoth/Apollo lv 68

(Black Sludge) w/ Tinted Lens

Bug Buzz

Psychic

Sleep Powder

Quiver Dance

Crustle/Libra lv 68

(Zoom Lens) w/ Sturdy

X-Scissor

Flail

Slash

Rock Wrecker

^No real good moves for it yet

Yanmega/Scorpio lv68

(Insect Plate) w/ Speed Boost

Detect

Bug Buzz

Air Slash

Ancient Power

Reserves (there are many but I will just list he ones at decent levels):

Escavalier/Orion lv 63

(Quick Claw) w/ Overcoat

Reversal

Iron Head

X-Scissor

Swords Dance

Heracross/Auriga lv 69

(Scope Lens) w/ Guts

Chip Away

Brick Break

Close Combat

Megahorn

Scoliopede/Draco lv 68    <----My pride and joy :)

(Zoom Lens) w/ Speed Boost

Strength

Protect

Megahorn

Poison Tail

Can't wait for the next episode!

Edited by Zane0144

• 2 months later...

Alright, first off AMAZING episode, but I've expressed that enough in other topics, this is mono. Two major battles in this episode, Blake and Terra. And let me tell you Heracross was the MVP. Once Jynx and Frosslass were out of the way Heracross made quick work of Blake. I had even brought excavalier out of hibernation for the fight, but at the end of the day Heracross dominated. (Even though Excavalier was VERY helpful getting rid of jynx and frosslass to allow that to happen) Overall, tough, but manageable.

Now Terra, oh BOY terra. I had brought back my Leavanny just for this battle to take out threats like Quagsire, but I was so taken back by how prepared RAWRchomp was set for my team. This thing is set to destroy me. Flamethrower OHKO's just about anything i throw out 'cept heracross. So, he was my strategy. I started off with Yanmega, it was easily able to Detect, get a speed boost, and one shot the Nidoking with Bug Buzz. Easy. Then, comes RAWRCHOMP. I go ahead and try and flinch it if I can. If not, Yanmega is dead and I go into Heracross. Megahorn and Close Combat each take out about half of it's health while doing rough skin damage to me. I go ahead and make her waste all of her hyper potions this way, but eventually the rough skin builds up and hera dies. From here I go into Escavalier, and use a revive while she one shots me with Flamethrower. Then, I go to Scolipede. Finish healing up Heracross, and if I live whatever rawrchomp does to me, I go ahead and megahorn it for some damage. Finally, Hera comes in and finishes it off. Now, the threat is finally dead! From here, Leavanny 2HKO's Claydol with X-Scissor, Hera kills Excadrill, Leavanny kills Quagsire, and weakens Hippowdon and Heracross finishes the battle off. Venomoth is there for extra death fodder.

So yeah, this Garchomp turned half my team into death fodder just to kill it. It was a pain, but felt good to overcome. Very glad to see these bosses can be so challenging even late game :)

Yanmega/Scorpio lv71

(Insect Plate) w/ Speed Boost

Detect

Bug Buzz

Air Slash

Ancient Power

Scoliopede/Draco lv 72

(Zoom Lens) w/ Speed Boost

Strength

Protect

Megahorn

Poison Tail

Heracross/Auriga lv 72

(Scope Lens) w/ Guts

Chip Away

Brick Break (Now Bulldoze

Close Combat

Megahorn

Venomoth/Apollo lv 71

(Black Sludge) w/ Tinted Lens

Bug Buzz

Psychic

Sleep Powder

Quiver Dance

Escavalier/Orion lv 72

(Quick Claw) w/ Overcoat

Reversal

Iron Head

X-Scissor

Swords Dance

Leavanny/Sickle lv72

(None I forgot the item lol) w/ Swarm

Protect

X-Scissor

Leaf Blade

Calm mind (Because Leaf Blade was a special move in the gym batte)

• 2 weeks later...

Now that I have an account I can talk here about my Flying-monotype in Pokémon Platinum, but I've beaten the league already.

I've beaten the league with:

Gliscor, L. 47

Swords Dance, U-Turn, Thunder Fang, Earthquake

Staraptor, L. 46

Endeavor, Quick Attack, Aerial Ace, Close Combat

Crobat, L. 47

Wing Attack, Fly, Toxic, Bite

Togekiss, L. 47

Wish, Flamethrower, Aura Sphere, Air Slash

Yanmega, L. 47

Detect, Ancient Power, Silver Wind, Giga Drain

Gyarados, L. 48 (who KOed 5 of Cynthia's Pokémon)

Dragon Dance, Ice Fang, Waterfall, Surf

Also, I beat Roark only because of my Beautifly (permaboxed now...)

Now I'll try to complete the challenge by beating Team Galactic inside Stark Mountain.

Edited by Cyaloom

• 3 months later...

I actually id my first monotype on pokemon Y, picked dark type, but, unhappilly, i finished it a long while ago xD still, its time for another monotype! this time gona run Black2, im actually plannin gon do monotypes all the way regressingeach generation. so after B2, im taking on Soul Silver, emerald, will most likelly then download a crystal room and after that tackle on red  why not  ima try not to repeat the types, so... taking on suggestions for my Black2 monotype now :3

• 2 months later...
Finally, six months after beating the league (see post above), I have cleared Stark Mountain in Pokemon Platinum.
My team has remained pretty much the same, with only some levels gained and some new moves learned:
[spoiler]
CURRENT TEAM

Staraptor, Lv. 53
Brave Bird, Close Combat, Quick Attack, Aerial Ace
Intimidate
She is my actual starter and, while I haven't used her this much in the late game, is still able of doing very high damage, and has always been useful. Quick Attack is there because it is a priority move and Aerial Ace is there because of Aaron's Yanmega (who spams Double Team all the time).

Crobat, Lv. 52
Wing Attack, Fly, Toxic, Bite
Inner Focus
The second member of the team, and revenge killer of choice thanks to the Jolly nature, but can also "stall" using Toxic and Fly - At first I chose Crobat as the user of the HM move, but then I realized that Fly was actually a very good move on it. Bite was used to counter Psychic types during the first half of the run, but I kept that move until the end despite the low base power.

Togekiss, Lv. 52
Wish, Flamethrower, Aura Sphere, Air Slash
Hustle
I actually was slightly disappointed for the lack of Serene Grace and the late evolution into Togetic (Golbat evolved sooner), but his movepool and defensive stats make up for this. Togekiss is my primary special attacker, my answer to Bronzong (a lot of people use it), and also a good defensive Pokemon.

Gliscor, Lv. 53
Swords Dance, Earthquake, U-Turn, Thunder Fang
Sand Veil
Like with Togekiss, I'd have preferred Hyper Cutter as my team is generally hindered by the Sandstorm, but it's no big deal. Gliscor has great physical defense, a nice attack stat that can be boosted with Swords Dance, and can counter two of the weaknesses of the Flying type. Thunder Fang is here to hit pokemon such as Gyarados, or other water types.

Gyarados, Lv. 53
Dragon Dance, Waterfall, Surf, Ice Fang
Intimidate
Usually I avoid using Gyarados in most runs: Magikarp is completely useless until it evolves, and even after the evolution, Gyarados doesn't know any good move. But, considering that Gyarados' alternatives weren't this good either (Pelipper and Mantine, which are obtained only later in the game and are just defensive Pokemon), I decided to train up Magikarp... and, now I see why it is axed in Reborn, despite being so hard or frustrating to train. Gyarados was bulky enough to set up with dragon Dance on Cynthia's Spiritomb and then KO five of her Pokemon, and has also been really useful in other battles. She is my general answer to Ice types, as she is the only member of my team that is not weak to Ice-type moves.

Yanmega, Lv. 50
Ancient Power, Silver Wind, Giga Drain, Detect
Speed Boost
Yanmega was supposed to be a good special attacker and an answer to Psychic types, but learns most of his good moves late (like Bug Buzz), this way being stuck with moves with low base power even after the League. This made him become my choice for a Pokemon to box, in order to place an HM slave on my team (my "starter" Chimchar), for both Victory Road and Stark Mountain. But, although he is the least strong member of my team, it is because he hasn't reached its full potential... just wait some more levels.

PREVIOUS MEMBERS

Beautifly, Lv. 23
Morning Sun, Stun Spore, Gust, Absorb
Swarm
Thanks to Absorb, Beautifly defeated, all by herself, Roark's gym (so it is because of her that I finished the run). I just boxed her because she was going to be replaced by Yanmega.

Tropius, Lv. 31
Razor Leaf, Stomp, Fly, Magic Leaf
Solar Power
I tried to use Tropius against Crasher Wake, and she helped taking out Quagsire, but then I boxed her to get Gyarados (previously boxed), seeing that Yanmega was already supposed to have Giga Drain.

Chimchar, Lv. 5
Cut, Strength, Rock Climb, Rock Smash
Blaze
My starter actually became the HM slave, sharing this infamous role with a Bidoof and a Raticate, but actually being the best of the three at it... Although he didn't battle, he still needs some recognition because he allowed me to overcome great obstacles like small trees, boulders, rocks and rocky walls, allowing me to reach the Pokemon League, and the room where the Magma Stone is, inside of Stark Mountain.
[/spoiler]

...as you can see, I don't like grinding, and I always try to avoid it. I have always seen people (mostly in playthroughs) suggesting to grind a lot before Platinum's league challenge, or going in with level 60 Pokemon to match Cynthia's levels, and I also did this in my first run; so beating the league, and then clearing Stark Mountain, with a team of six underleveled Flying-types, (with the levels matching the wild Pokemon of the area) was really rewarding - of course, it was also much more challenging and fun than usual!

I could probably do another update when/if I'll beat the League again, catch legendaries, but I'll actually be mostly in the Battle house or in the Battle Frontier from now on :) Edited by Cyaloom