Good evening ladies and gentlemen, and before you read any further I must implore anyone who is looking for a light hearted game with an easy to understand system and a hopefully interesting concept to please refrain from reading any further, as you will not find anything of any interest beyond this paragraph or open the spoiler directly beneath this paragraph, thank you.

Setting Details

Okay, so is everyone who was looking for a light hearted game with an interesting concept gone yet? Because if so then it is time for me to respectfully say. Heh, goteeem. Because this is exactly the kind of game they were looking for, as I have no real plans to make this RP particularly dark and dreary without the active participation of the players, and I certainly hope that you’ll find all of this interesting, as I have spent actual hours of my life on everything with the help of a friend of mine, and it would be such a shame to see it all go to waste.

But anyway the concept for this game is pretty simple actually to the point where to an untrained eye it would seem as if I hadn’t put much thought into it.The game is set in an unspecified period of the 1990s, (when the Walkman still reigned supreme and everyone still unironically used tapes and tapedecks to listen to music) in a world where the music industry got big, and I mean really big, big enough to make the concept of listening to music seem to be a more enjoyable past time than watching a movie or reading a book, big enough that the Beatles never quite stated that they were bigger than Jesus… because everyone knew that already, big enough that on one fateful day; as the King unknowingly sung the closing lines of last song he would ever perform on this earth, that he rose up to the sky and disappeared in a shower of white light as the spirits watching on the other side decided that he was simply too good for this world.

Yes, this is that kind of setting, one of the ones where magic is real that tries to gloss over the disturbing implications of the way the world would be changed, as we are instead about to focus on the one thing that ties magic and the world together.

Music my dear; is both everything and nothing; something that in our world is already both useless and yet limitless in the ways it can be used, but in this world is used for far more than to simply take you up to places of insensinate joy and illimitable sensual pleasure and cast you down into a gibbering weeping hell that is far worse than any a torturer could devise. As music is the one thing that can help you bend the limits of what is possible, to throw out great big balls of fire to consume your opponents, to summon an army of the most virtuous of angels, or the most delightfully devilish demons to fight your battles for you; with nothing more than a...a tapedeck, and a certain je na sais quoi.

Basically this is a setting where magic returned to the world because the spirits residing in that oh so magical plane were drawn back to the world by the spectacle surrounding your average musical performance, and after a long period of adjustment people have started to learn how to use this to their advantage by drawing on the power released by a song they are performing to direct your gang of spiritual groupies to assume a desired form and attack your enemies/draw on their power to throw out magical spells, which only works because the spirits sees all of this as being nothing more than just another part of the performance that ‘requires audience participation’, and they are surprisingly eager to help out if it entertains them enough.

But anyway I think we both know that it is now time for The System!

Right, this game basically uses your average Trading Card Game system to run its battles, but for now all you have to remember is this:

Players start with a collective 20 health in any duel.

Each player starts with 1 Rhythm, and gains 1 per turn.

You can only play notes (Which is what we are calling the cards) that are equal to, or lower than your current Rhythm, and your Rhythm is not expanded when you do this, and the notes you have on the field can have a total Rhythm cost that is higher than the Rhythm you have, as long as the cost for each individual Note is no higher than your current Rhythm

You are allowed to summon one monster note per turn, and may play any number of spells. Although a monster note will spend its first turn doing nothing as the spirit adjusts to its assumed role.

Each note that has currently been rolled has been either a Minion or a Spell and they all have one stat in common, Rhythm cost.  Minions have an Attack, and Defence Stat as well as Rhythm Cost.

When you make one Minion attack another Minion,  if the opposing minion has defence lower than or equal to your minion's Attack, that minion is destroyed.

If you make a minion attack a Spell that is active, that spell is destroyed.

Each player can only have a maximum of two copies of a non legendary card in their deck at all times, and only one copy of a legendary card in their deck.

Size is normally limited to 10 Notes of any kind.  I.E, you can only have 10 Notes out on the Stage at a time.

Every player starts a battle with three notes in their ‘hand’ and they draw a new one every round, if a player ever runs out of notes in their tapedeck and attempts to draw another one, then that player will lose half of their current HP until they lose all HP or shuffle more notes into their tapedeck somehow. A player can choose to reshuffle their current hand in exchange for a new one at the start of each battle.

Everyone starts the game with 10 regular fans to roll up new cards with and 1 Devoted Fan that you can use to unlock a song to roll on or obtain a legendary card that embodies the song you have chosen, except of course you can only unlock a song at the start of the game anyway so derp.

And now we move on to the Character Sheet

Character Name: (Should be self explanatory but again, if your real name is more ridiculous than your stage name...then you shouldn’t have chosen a stage name in the first place)

Stage name: (Not actually necessary, but someone might use this)

Age: (No real limit to be brutally honest, but please remember to act your age, and by that I mean that if you decide to make a 30 to 40 year old and everyone else makes 15 year olds...then for the love of God don't hit on any of the other PCs)

Appearance: (It doesn’t have to be particularly long, but just give me a few sentences to give me a good idea of how your character looks like.)

Personality: (Give me a good idea of how your character acts in this section)

Background: (Completely and utterly optional, although if you do decide to fill this out please do try to keep your character’s accomplishments and skill sets at least vaguely realistic, your 21 year old guy with heterochromia isn’t old enough to have two PhDs after all).

Song of choice: (You will start the game with an entire ten card deck based around this song along with 10 more generic cards that you can pick from any booster card or deck that has been made/make some up with our permission and using the cards present on the following documents as precedent for what you can do (Basic Staple Cards), (Example Booster Packs). Also you better make sure that the song and cards you chose fits with the character concept you have well enough, and as a gentle reminder feel free to refluff any of the cards present on both sheets)

The Rules (The boring and useless RP related ones and not the ones about the system)

Because I am an open and overly lenient GM (and because my Co-GM believes in letting people try whatever shit they want to try), I can safely say that the only two rules governing how you roleplay your character, and they are.

1. The blanket ‘Don’t be a Dick’ rule, also known as No God modding/Bunnying: Because in the end of the day, taking away a player’s ability to control their character’s actions is just a great way to cause a boatload of complaints and ruin the fun for almost everyone for the foreseeable future.

2. The Halley rule, also known as ‘Your actions will have consequences’: Things won’t always go your way, and sometimes a certain someone on your team goes out on their own to perform an action with far reaching consequences that they probably never stopped to fully consider, and of course these actions may or may not come back to haunt all of you sooner or later. This is fine, make sure to bring lots of tea/covfefe.

Credits Ɛ>

@Hal Henderics for being the one who set me up for this, for sort of being my Co-GM, and for helping me make and test this system

@rustytengo for helping me test this system

@StormLord for helping me test this system

@GodofGamingRWBY  for helping me test this system

@Strider  for being best waifu and also helping me test this system

@Walpurgis for helping me test this system

@Rinde for helping me test this system

@Whoever invented TCGs in the first place you hopefully filthy rich madman/woman, may you rest in peace

And now I must implore anyone who has yet to read the contents of the spoiler above me to not peruse the following document or edit it in any shape or form, thank you.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1_nu9VI3rkuOL-Al3kMY93P9fOPn3Q83uZ0PechMcVVk/edit?usp=sharing

Nor should you join the following Discord server for any clarification.

https://discord.gg/apqF6Jm

And to any mods watching yes, yes this does count as the accepted character's list as well... I just haven't gotten any.

Introducing, the first... Duelist? Vocalist? Star?

... I dunno, just... My character.

Spoiler

Character Name: Ashley Sinclair

Stage name: Viola Moon

Appearance: Ashley is a 5’5” woman with deep brown hair, tied in a single braid that goes to her lower back, with a white complexion, brown eyes. Her go to outfit for casual outings is mostly a simple white t-shirt, tan long sleeve jacket, jeans, and brown boots.

Personality: Ashley is easily described as a very excitable person, constantly bounding to the next event with enthusiasm. She’s quick to try and befriend other people, sometimes succeeding at it, sometimes not, although her failures, either at making friends or other such things, don’t tend to stick around her for long. When she does make a friend, she can be quick to support them, and can be quite teasing with them when she’s able to.

When “on stage” as Viola Moon, Ashley is… More or less the same, reveling in attention and generally being overdramatic as a way to get said attention. She’s also has a notable good sportsmanship, win or lose, as she’s only around to become more popular, rather than win herself.

Song of choice: God in Fire

Deck (10/20)

Spoiler

Manikin Warrior (2)

Spawn of War (2)

Gone in a Second (1)

Endless Chaos (1)

Warrior of Chaos (1)

Evil is coming from everywhere (1)

Bloodlust of the Divine (1)

Housing Complex (2)

Work Harder (1)

Judgement Barbarian (2)

Get Evil (1)

Angel of Mercy (1)

Word of Pain (2)

Angel of Death (1)

Legendary(s):

God in FIre

• 3 weeks later...

Character:

Name: Matilda
Stage name: 
Appearance: Standard run-of-the-mill little old lady, thinning white hair, cane, and grey sweater included.
Personality: Sweat and friendly to just about anyone, but old enough that she just doesn't care about what people think of what she says any more.
Background: Learned this "magic card game" when her grandson showed interest about two years ago, he'd well moved past by the time she'd figured it all out, but that didn't stop her from starting to participate in the local scene more and more.  Before she knew it she was hooked on the thrill of "Beating punk-ass kids at their own game".

Song of choice: Disturbed - Vengeful One

Deck(20/20):

Spoiler

Twisted Black Judgement Soldier,

Vengeful Warrior(x2),

Vengeful Barbarian(x2),

Judgement Warrior(x2),

Judgement Barbarian(x2),

Pile of Mangled Bodies,

Divination(x2),

Giant Growth(x2),

Soul's Attendant(x2),

Blood Money(x2),

Eternal Witness(x2),

On one hand the almost complete and utter lack of interest among the people I haven't explicitly recruited before hand is depressing, on the other hand @GodofGamingRWBYand @StormLord you both still need to tell me what your ideal 20 card (10 from your booster pack, 10 from the generics taken from any song we have currently rolled up) is before I can accept the two of you.

I have a character!

Spoiler

Character Name: Stanley (Stan) Smith

Stage name: Mr. Smith 

Appearance:  A fairly average looking white guy in good shape.  Wears jeans, a black tank top, and a brown leather jacket.

Personality:  A total, unrepentant dork.  Constantly spouts cheesy one-liners and the corniest of corn in an attempt to seem cooler than he knows her probably is.  Unsure of what he wants from life.

Background: A college student taking a year-long hiatus to think about life and figure out what the hell he wants to do for the rest of it.

Song of choice: Hasselhoff – True Survivor

Deck:

Spoiler

Got a Permit for those Guns 1x

Running in and Out of Time 2x

Power Glove 1x (Totally Not Explosive Vegetation)

Riot in the Streets 1x

Action! 1x

True Survival 1x

Viking Age Women 1x

The Chosen One 1x

Triceracop 2x

A Shadow From the Past 1x

Rising from the Ashes 2x

Barbariana with T-Rex and Chaingun 1x (Totally Not Shivan Dragon)

Buddy Cop 2x (Totally Not White Knight)

Police Barricade 2x (Totally Not Wall of Ice)

Hackerman 1x (Totally Not Sphinx of Jwar Isle)

• 1 month later...