[IC] TotM DC; Borderlands Subplot: Pandora's Box

Projeck

The Loaderbot's tray returns to its body, then it turns back to scan the crates.

"Thank you for your business."

Ena would find the area designated to weapons development, not finding any particular extra stuff off first glance. Just the various parts that Law has already gathered into a pile. There's a couple scrapped robots that seem more than a bit fried.

• Replies 135
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Freya

"Thanks Orion" Freya replied to the AI, still a bit confused on the subject but at least knowing it was something with fast and precise calculating skills. For the most part, she mostly focused on Claptrap, raising an eyebrow at his (its?) statement, still seeming to be completely unfazed by the sound of his voice, "Do you mind if I ask what you mean by 'the Ark'?"

Stellio

Stellio, upon the AI's (though in all honesty, Stellio just assumed the man was some sort of bizarre phantom. Wouldn't be the first time he'd met one or the last, most likely) inquiry, related to Orion the gist of the groups purpose- how they had been recruited by mysterious benefactors who hoped to prevent worlds from being destroyed by quite literally unimaginable creatures who fed on creation itself like a cancer feeds on the body. He had also briefly explained how they had just departed from one such world when they had received the message that brought them here.

Before long however, the ghost merged back into one, and the insufferable voice of a certain golem called from down the hall (Or close enough to a Golem that Stellio just shrugged it off). As some of the others moved to examine the workshop revealed before them, Stellio had done the same. And so it was that in a few minutes, he'd found himself a peice of scrap steel and began to gather his focus, practicing the very same weave spell he'd taught the divine being...

Spoiler

(23 v 9) Success!

Quality: 17 woo.

Stellio successfully imbues the scrap steel with dark elemental energy, without butterfly wings! Effects: Removes the butterfly wing clause of Mana Weave

Gains: 1x Dark Steel Scrap

New Trick Text:

Mana Weave (Trick): The user gathers Mana and attempts to weave it into the structure of an object, creating an enchantment on it. Stellio however, is a bit rusty after several years, and well... look, it's a start okay? 

Level 1: [Using a craft roll, Stellio may attempt to weave Mana into an object's structure in order to create an enchantment over it. Due to being out of practice however, at the moment he has only recalled enough to manage enchanting handheld items with.... a set of glowing, pink, fully-functional butterfly wings they can use to flutter about aimlessly and unintelligently.]

Level 2 (trained): [Practice has paid off. Stellio can now do enchantments other than pink butterfly wings.]

"Hmph, still got it afterall..." The knight finally lowers his hands and drops the torrent of mana he channeled, satisfied at the end result. It was a very simple enchantment he'd tried, the same as last time, and lo and behold, there'd been no snags with this one. The scrap steel pulsed with a steady, lavender glow, the outer edges of it's form bathed in a black aura that seemed to suck in nearby light for the purpose of boosting the ominous radiance of it's own. It probably would've made a half decent weapon, but sadly he was no smith... though

"Oi, you there!" he called out to the... strange rodent weasel thing that stood atop one workbench. As far as he knew, the little bugger had showed up at some point during the fight (it'd been hard to tell for certain given well... it was a brawl against madmen. And this was stellio one was talking about...) "Hail, traveller, don't think we've met, but I saw you during that engagement. You seem more fit to engineering than I; might you have any interest in enchanted steel? It's more than served my purposes already."

"THE ARK IS THE HOLY SHIP! IT IS COMING! IT IS COMING TO SAVE US FROM THE DOOM BROUGHT UPON THIS WORLD! IT IS HERE TO SAVE US FROM THE DESTROYER! THE ONE THAT LINGERS..... THE VAAAAULT! THE AAAAAAAAARK IS COMING!"

It's pretty obvious this Claptrap has lost its mind.

When Ena entered the weapons bay, she first took a look over the small rodent creature's shoulder. It seemed to be fiddling with some circuits or something, next to a large pile of components. Maybe she could talk to him at some point, figure out how that little tool he was using worked. But for now, she was more interested in the weapons, in increasing her ability to kill things. A quick scan of the work bench yielded nothing of interest, just welders and welding masks. The bins on the walls contained mainly the same things that the rodent had assembled on the floor. She dug halfheartedly into the buckets, and did come up with a few interesting items though.

Spoiler
  • 3x Experimental Incendiary Sniper Rounds- +1d4 Fire damage if designated to be used. One time use.
  • 1 4x scope lens
  • 1 loaderbot claw

When she was done there, she looked around and approached one of the loaderbots. "What type of weapons do you make?" The answer was just as succinct as the question: "We make guns. Everyone makes guns." It was an answer, but it was vague. Ena shooed away the loaderbot, then began to speak to thin air.

"The guns are for fighting on the surface, correct?. Do you know how that began? The fighting?" As expected, ORION appeared quickly, and gave answer. The fighting was before his time, a land grab, for economic dominance of the planet. The phrasing he used was a little odd to Ena, so next she inquired whether this was the home planet of humanity. It wasn't, apparently. This was a planet of outcasts and looters. ". . .Well, I suppose you could scrap those Hyperion Escape Pods. No ships stay here for long, if ever. Bandit worlds, and all. I'm just about as clueless to that as you are, sadly." Ena thanked the fellow AI, and summoned a few loaderbots to haul the wreckage in.

For nearly an hour and a half, Ena carefully severed the pieces of the two craft with her inbuilt welder, and the other tools in the machine shop, until she was left with four large engines, and assorted other ship pieces. She didn't quite know why she'd taken them apart, as it seemed silly to assume that someone else would stop by on this world to pick them up later. . . So now she had to build a ship. But rebuilding the original pods would be boring, and there was a lot more interesting things to be done.

Spoiler
  • 4x Shuttle Thrusters (Level 5)
  • 2x Oxidizer- Allows the recycling of water vapor and carbon dioxide to create oxygen.
  • 48x Wiring
  • 5x Random plastic buttons
  • 6x Power Couplings
  • 3x Ship Battery Cells
  • 2x Giant Vaccum-Strength Glass Shields
  • 7x Circuitboards
  • 3x Motor Joints
  • 13x Scrap Steel

Lucine wandered about the compound, looking at the computers. It looked like they had some spare parts, and she had an idea. . . She vaguely remembered working with the little rat(?) guy, though on what she couldn't recall. Law, she thought his name was? She stepped up to the workbench where he was working, watching him for a moment before speaking up. "Hey, Law? How much do you know about building computers?"

"I had an idea using the Class Cards I made. One of them lets me learn whatever I want, and another one makes me better at learning or teaching people, so I thought I could make a Mystic Code that used both of them to let everyone learn whatever they want. The only problem is that the one can. . . kinda drive you insane if you use it? That's why I wanted to come up with a computer system for it." She frowned a bit at Law's reaction, but continued. "I just don't know how to actually build computers, and something tells me a gun probably isn't the best form for something like this."

"Ahh, w-well, I just used up my last piece of precursor metal, but I'm sure I could whip up something for that."

"It probably won't last very long without some kind of m-metamaterials, though, or just clever design."

"I've got an Alloy Printer over there that can melt and microforge whatever we need."  He gestures to the mechanical arm, currently clamped to the side of the workbench.  A hopper in the top is empty.

--

The rat-thing freezes up entirely at the imposing giant of a man offering him special steel.

Special Dark Steel.

"uhh sure."

Freya

At Claptrap's rant, Freya kept a straight expression, nodding as if she understood what he was talking about, "Nice. Well, I hope I get to see this Ark that you've foreseen, sounds nice" she replied, "Anywho, I got things to do. Have fun" she added, turning on her heel and walking out of the bunker and back onto the surface, taking a deep breath of the fresh air as she walked over to the still rather fresh corpses of those psychos that tried to kill her earlier. That was a fun time... Kinda.

As she did so, she plucked a single rose off of her staff, placing the purple flower on her hat before pulling out her knife, beginning to go to work with the bodies.

... Long story short, she managed to cut an entire psycho arm off, then reanimate it to get a Necromized Arm that was promptly tossed into one of her pocket dimensions, along with cutting out one of the femurs, along with crushing 5 of her roses, to create some rather strange Undead-Perfume. She had to admit herself, it smelled rather nice.

Freya creates:

One Necromanced Hand for later

Black Rosewater

Spoiler

Black Rosewater(3/3): It's scent causes living things to grow weaker, and sooths the rage of the dead. Can be used to reduce damage by 2d4 if dealt by a living being, or use it to boost damage for 2d4 to a given undead. Has 3 charges.

Lucine pondered for a moment. "Well, if you know a part is going to take damage no matter what you do to it, you make it easy to replace, right? So what if we just made whatever part is actually getting the information replaceable somehow? Though it also has to be smart enough to actually tell us the answer to our questions. . ."

Lucine spent a moment in silent thought herself. "Oh, I know! Can't that Tim guy transmute things? I bet he could just turn the worn-out circuits into fresh new ones. Hmm. . . The computer still needs to learn the information well enough to actually tell you it, which would make the whole thing wear out, probably. . ." 

"Well, I could probably design a circuit that cooperates with others like it.  Then we just use quantity over quality to increase the computer's intelligence, and remove damaged chips as needed."

"A base circuit design that fits the bill would help me develop such a thing, but I'm sure I can d-devise something."

Freya

As Freya finished her little perfume-bone, something came back into her mind, something that had been pushed aside by Claptrap for a bit. Specifically, what the hell an AI was. It was an Artificial Intelligence, that much she got, but she didn't exactly understand WHAT that meant. How can someone make intelligence artificially? That didn't make any sense, and Orion clearly wasn't a spirit. She'd be feeling something if he was.

Eventually, this train of questions in her head caused her to stand with a frustrated sigh, picking her staff back up as she marched back into the bunker-or-whatever-it-was-called to find answers. Which, thankfully, she found two that might be able to give her an answer. Specifically, Lucine and the little Precursor, 

"Sorry for butting in, but I need to ask you two something" Freya said as she approached, dusting her boots off for a second before continuing, "Do either of you know what an Artificial Intelligence is supposed to be?" she asked, tipping her staff to the side to point in the general direction of Orion, "Orion told be that was what he was, but I don't exactly know what that means thanks to Claptrap."

Tim nodded in response to the A.I. before following the others in to look around.

As he walked he grabbed a piece of this and a piece of that until he had an armload of materials with him, then he found a workbench or something of the like to sit down at and imprint all of these new items.  Some of them looked more interesting than others, but over all it was a good haul.  After imprinting what he wanted he walked around returning most of the items, save the steel, he grabbed eleven more pieces of that and converted it all into a total of 307.2 EMC.

Spoiler

Tim opens the southwestern door, discovering a metal hallway, with two doors a few feet further down the hallway. One on the left and one on the right, each with dusted over plaques next to them. There are a few big cobwebs along the ceiling, thick enough to veil some of the already flickering lighting. Further down the hallway, a turnedover chair, as well as what looks like a [Borderlands Grenade: This grenade takes on the property of whatever grenade module is equipped. If no module is equipped, defaults to 3d4 damage to one target. Single use.] Past those, is pure darkness.(edited)

Tim takes the grenade and pulls out his torch.

Tim pockets the grenade, and proceeds to pull out his torch. Further down the hallway, past the once dark veil, Tim spots a few glowing red dots, one moving off and climing to the ceiling. He hears a clicking noises that sounds vaguely metallic

He pulls out his Archangel's Smite ring and raises his torch, setting the webs on fire. Shouldn't do much in the way of damage(webs don't burn long or hot) but it should light up the hallway nicely.

Tim brandishes his ring, and raises the torch, catching the cobweb system aflame, lighting up the corridor for a few seconds. While the corridor is lit, Tim spots several single-eyed metallic machines, slightly rusted in color, which skitter in fear. They mutter quiet words, in metallic scratchy voices, which Tim can make out to be muttering "The Ark... The Ark..."

What shape are they?

More specifically do they look like spiders?

Sorta look like spiders but 4 legged

Hmm, to waste them or not to waste them....

What is further down the hallway past them?

Past the quadpedals, you see a final door at the end of the hallway, with a dusted over window on it. It looks a bit scratched below the window, as if something tried clawing through.

How many quadrapedals are there?

There's 7

Each about a foot in diameter for the solid sphere body, the legs about a foot long in total

they don't seem hostile

Tim ducks out of the hallway entrance and looks over at ORION. "Hey computer-man, I found a few spider like robots in here, are they yours?"

ORION appears near Tim, moving into the hallway. "Interesting... I don't recall these." "The Aaaark... The Aaaark..." "I believe the Claptrap steward bot has been saying the same things. Maybe he created them in his lonely exile..."

"Have you got any idea what is on the other side of the door they look like they were trying to get into?"

"That's the Director's office. His personal computer is in there. And I believe a personal system for locking down the bunker. Maybe Claptrap knew this? He was the Director's personal steward, when he was here."

"Mind if I have a look?"

"Sure, give me a second. [Running Diagnostic]..." ORION's projection walks up to the door, where apparently there is a coded lock on the door. His eyes rotate as he runs his test, before the lock unclicks. "Door unlocked. Director's files recovered, backedup, and wiped from the computer unit. . . . Security protocols deactivated. . . . Everything seems in order. The Director was a paranoid man. When you step in, mind the turret drone. It's deactivated, just don't step on it." "Welcome to the Administrative Wing, Tim."

"Thank you." Tim walks in(minding the turret drone) and starts looking around. He's looking for anything interesting, anything that might relate to why the were summoned here, or this "Ark" he's heard about. He's also being fairly respectful and careful with his search, no need to dig or tear through things, for all he knows they'll be here for days.

Tim would walk in, and see a very neat, and clean office. Not dusty like the rest of the bunker, but actually spotless. Inside, besides the turret drone now lying on the floor, was a little green cleaner bot, similar in shape to that of the quadrapeds, but with a solid oval bottom with scrubbers on it. Apparently it's been keeping this office spotless. Inside, was a giant mohogany desk, it looked very old, but very well kept. The drawers on the desk are locked, and seem extremely sturdy and heavy. On the wall, a portrait of an older man, presumably De Quidt, on hinges and swung off the wall. Behind that, a shredded off panel on the wall, with a few pulled switches inside. The switches are turned to off. ORION appears, looking towards the panel. "Running Diagnostic. . . . . . . . Hm. How odd. I'm not sure why I cannot trace where these lines go, but they're off my grid. If I remember correctly though, they get the factory to turn on. Only things I've heard, though."

"Any ideas on what might happen if I flip one?"

"Well, I remember reading some old schematics long ago that suggested this factory was built to... well, fly." ORION strokes his chin. "One might begin that course of action, but I am unsure how those systems function. I'm limited."

"Well dispite burning curiosity I think it would be better to look for a manuel before I go fliping switches for things." Tim glanced around the office again before turning back to ORION. "Is there anything you can tell me about the other two doors off that hallway?"

"Well, I believe those were the co-lead researchers under the Director."(edited)

"Call this a stupid question, but have you got a map of the facility somewhere?"

"The director wasn't too keen on keeping schematics about. Corporate war and all. What do you want to know?"

"Nothing in particular, I just wanted to get a better idea of the layout without having to explore everywhere first. Would a brief description of what is in each part of the facility be possible?"

"Of course. To the Northwest, is the barracks. Mainly bunks for the scientists and such. Food stores in there as well. I don't believe the food there would still be good. There's spare parts for some of the mechanics to repair stuff, if things went wrong. To the North is the storeroom. Lots of spare gun parts in there. Off limits to scavenging, if you don't mind. To the East is the medbay. Some medical supplies in there, that don't expire. Feel free to use what you need. Not that any robots here would need any of it." 

Tim listened and made mental notes as ORION spoke. "Well thank you for your help, I think I'm going to go investigate the Medbay then." Assuming no further complications Tim is going to walk to the other side of the facility and look in the Medbay.

Tim goes to the East, into the medbay. All in all, the area looks really clean. Blinding white tile covers every inch of the walls, floor, and ceiling. A few unkept beds are laid out with no obvious organization. A desk lies close to the doorway, with all of the drawers opened and empty, besides two vials with red liquid in them. Tim has found 2x Dr Ned's Healing Syringe- Heal 2d4 for 3 rounds. Besides that, a similar cleaning bot is whirring along the floor, minding its own business, as well as a few vital monitors.

On his way to the Medbay Tim stopped as he pasted the dark knight from before, after a brief inquiry about the strange metal they seemed to be working with and taking an imprint he continued.

After exiting the Medbay he noticed the robot that had accompanied them here(Ena, he thought he heard someone call her) disassembling the pods they had landed in.  While he was far from opposed to seeing them torn apart at the seams he also took not at some rather intricate looking machinery that had been separated from them.  He walked over to her makeshift work site.

"Find anything particularly interesting?"

"A computer is a device that does math automatically, it can also take actions based on the results of that math."

Law gestures to his alloy printer.

"This device takes the numbers I put into it, and moves itself into positions based on those numbers, and excretes metal based again on those numbers."

"An AI then, is an intelligent being whose thoughts are formed of math made to emulate thought."

So, now it was time to build a ship, or two. Her current thoughts were one small vehicle, maybe four person capacity that she could interface with, and a larger vehicle to get them off the planet with, if necessary. So now came the question of how they could make the new ship better than the old. After all, if they couldn't, then she'd made a mistake in taking apart the ship. And Ena wanted to be certain no one could accuse her of that. Her processing speed was excellent, and she wouldn't do anything spur of the moment without thinking it through, right?

So, that meant she needed to recruit. There had been a guy who'd expressed interest in the materials as she scrapped the ships, Tim. Perhaps he'd have interest? Ena was about to set off in search of him, when he appeared. "Hello, Tim. I'm working to build two ships. Since I took the two ships we had apart. Hopefully though, we can integrate them with our tech, and make them more personalized than the shuttles. What skills do you have that we can make accomodations for? Special requirements for nourishment or comfort? I'm considering what to add, whom to recruit, and what plan to follow currently."

Freya

In response, Freya did a small whistle, glancing at Law's printer. She herself was starting to get new ideas... Kinda. That was something though, something that created entire things on its own accord, "That's pretty cool" she replied, quickly growing a bit more excited on the subject, "What else can these computers do? How do they work?"

"I'm of the mind that a computer can do anything that can be done, within that computer's limitations.  The screens, the Loaderbots, even ORION themselves.  Computers are responsible for all of that."

"It starts with logic gates, and binary."

Law reshapes his multitool into a stand with transparent floating images made of metal attached by wire to one another.

"A computer is made of parts that make various decisions based on whether you tell it yes, or no.  For most computers, electricity is yes, and no electricity is no."

"A Logic gate is what does this.  This is an AND gate."

Law's diagram turns into a specific shape of lines.

"This will "say yes" to what it is connected to, if everything connected to it, also says yes."

"An OR gate will say yes if anything connected to it says yes."

"An XOR gate will say yes if only one thing connected to it says yes."

He finally turns the diagram into some kind of machine.

"There are components that do things such as turn, or burn, or emit light of many colors when electricity is fed into them.  So by making electricity only flow into them when the computer tells it to, you can create machines.  There are many types of Logic Gate, and using those in tandem with various sensors and components allow even things as amazing as machines as small as cells, or as large as planets."

"Even a living brain is a computer of a certain kind.  One that is exceptionally complex, and born of nature, rather than science.  It asks itself questions, and those answers shape thinking beings."

"W-well, not counting the soul, Souls are a matter all their own, I'm sure you k-know."

Law's lecture on AI combined with their earlier discussion seemed to have given Lucine an idea. "Oh, I know. What if we put an AI in the computer, and then had the AI make copies of itself whenever we asked it to learn something for us? That way none of the copies actually get damaged that much, and the whole thing doesn't wear down over time?"

Freya

While Law explained how these computers worked, Freya pulled out her journal again, writing down notes on it, along with potential uses. It sounded really interesting... Complex, but interesting, and potentially very useful. She'd have to figure out how to use one with her stuff at some point. Once Law got to his statement about souls, Freya simply nodded, "Yep, that I do know" she replied, then paused, looking between the two, "... Wait, are you guys trying to make one right now?"

"Well as requirements go nothing beyond that of a normal human I guess, sudden stops, starts, or turns don't do good things to our insides.  I don't believe I've explained my primary power to you yet though, you see I can transmute things.  It's far more simple than it may sound."

He took out a small reddish sphere that shimmered with pink and white flames.

"This is a philosopher's stone.  On it I can imprint a copy of almost any item, then I can convert items into something called 'EMC', and with that EMC I can manifest copies of any imprinted items.  The easiest way to think of it is that I can imprint something to get a 'price', sell it for EMC, then use the EMC to buy anything I know the 'price' of."

He paused as he put the stone away.

"So for me producing raw materials is little more than a trivial task assuming I've got the needed EMC on hand."