[IC] TotM:DC "Terraria: A fresh start"

StormLord

"We are fighting a monster of some kind. There may be a small chance of a peaceful resolution, but almost certainly fighting it. We also need to recover a particular gem that should be in its possession, and bring it back intact." 

"I just got back from scouting. Once we pass through the nearby portal, we will end up in a sort of pocket dimension, containing an illusionary city. Our target is a monster inside. We need to recover the gem. Going off what we have learned, and what I was told by the merchant who I bought it from, the gem is likely a container for it, and once we beat it, it will be forced to retreat back into it, not unlike a ghost."

"Ethier that or the gem MAKES monsters. I won't be able to be sure until we get a closer look."

"If everyone is up to it, are we ready to go?"

Leo activates StoneHeart and with a loud pop and flash of light another portal appears where the last one had disappeared.

Once inside the party is surrounded on all sides by foggy city-scape, save the glowing portal out behind them.  Leo fails to locate his bird golem anywhere nearby, however Snow picks up on the SCP Golem's distress beacon some distance away.  Movement in the area beyond their position is sparse, but the large "wall" several hundred yards out is still there, and the SCP Golems are beyond it.

StoneHeart doesn't seem any more or less distressed about being in here than they were about being outside.

After spending a distressing amount of time with hunting down a squirrel of all things for her journal, Jun finally walks towards the smithy to catch up with the rest of the group. Upon finding some people walking into a portal that she assumed Leo had opened, Jun quickly jumped in and tried to find the main culprit himself before asking, "What is it this time Leo? Did you accidentally spread the corruption to another dimension or something?."

"No nothing like that. Short version, something I bought in the last world I was in broke loose, and did things I didn't know it could do. We need to retrieve it." 

"The lost golems seem to be past that wall the bird found, but that might indicate some way to pass it. We should check that out. If they are alone, we might get more information on what happened and can go from there. If they aren't, then great, we found our target"

Assuming the party is on board with it, head in the direction of the distress beacon

"Well, this is eerie. . ." Kusuke commented, head on a swivel. He followed Leo in for the moment, not liking the place at all. Cityscape wasn't something that bothered him, far from it, but a silent cityscape was unsettling. Especially taken in combination with what little he knew about this place. Some weird material Leo had found, corrupting his golems and now conjuring up a pocket dimension? Not friendly-sounding. He groaned inwardly; they were going to be fighting those golems, weren't they? At least they weren't mechanical in the normal sense.

Theme:

Spoiler

As the party moves deeper into the city-scape Snow picks up more and more distant movements outside their view.

Shadows start swiping just outside the groups vision, creatures with the same spider-like legs as before almost "dancing" as they glide across the ground just out of sight.  Glowing eyes looking out from alleyways, some large, some small.  Something swoops overhead knocking bits of dust and grit loose as it sung on freakishly long limbs.  At one point you cross a street and someone shines a light down it revealing several thousand eyes on stubby legs waddling towards you.

The stained glass windows get darker as you go.  At first showing knights and pleasant white cats, but slowly changing, the faces of the knights are scratched out, the cat's eyes start to bleed and they gain a wicked grin, people dangling on strings somewhere between marionettes and nooses.

Fear saves:

Spoiler

Leo: 12 vs 14,

Kusuke: 22 vs 15,

Jun: 22 vs 6,

Az: 10 vs 11,

Satomi(if present): 8 vs 16,

Leo, Az, and Satomi are Shaken by the creepy happenings around them and suffer a -2 penalty on their ability saves/checks.

As the party gets closer and closer to this "wall" they slowly gather a larger and larger entourage of glowing eyes following behind.  Once they actually reach it they realize it's not a wall at all, quite the opposite actually.  The city-scape suddenly ends and the fog pulls away on that side to reveal rolling green hills and a distant palace with a winding road connecting up to the road they happen to be standing on now.

"Ah, fuck this shit, why did it have to be creepy dolls of all things," Kusuke grumbled under his breath. He'd seen worse, albeit it was only that way because of what he knew of it, but that didn't mean he liked what was going on now. Kusuke checks behind them, to see if we're being followed. "So you're sure that whatever's behind all this is up there? Because usually, if someone doesn't like you and gets all inviting, it's a good time to start being extremely concerned." 

"Well....that was freaky."

Leo's fingers twitched.  The clearly non friendly movements had kept making him thing a fight was about to happen. Now He had an adrenaline rush, and an antsy desire to start swinging his sword around.  

"It will likely only get worse from here....This area looks pleasant, but I doubt it will keep for long."

"Lets see if we cant get any more information now that we are inside."

Leo speaks, pouring out his Analyze spell once again. Scanning the area around him....

Spoiler

[83]

As Leo walks he takes in as much as he can with his Analyze spell...maybe too much. This whole place? Illusionary. The pocket dimension probably isn't much bigger than what it covers in realspace, they're walking in circles with perceived space being changed as they move. Those "monsters"? Mana constructs, no reason listing all the possible purposes they could serve but they're certainly learning as much about him as he is about them...possibly more. Their spellwork also isn't like anything he's seen, in some places it's crisp, clean, and perfect and other places it's sloppier than anything he's ever made.

Witch's Labyrinth Study Report(Flora) #002 & #003: May be used as a crafting reagent or turned in as 1/8 of an Int point.

"This is pretty intresting actualy. Its not just the buildings. Everything in this pocket dimension is nothing more then a solid illusion. Even those monsters back there are just mana constructs. The spellwork is really strange. Some of it is just, Flawless and clean, but then there are just massive chunks that make my very first creations look GOOD, And considering I have no formal education and learned my first spells from a bunch of old books in a Post-Apocalyptic wasteland, many of which were damaged, thats saying something."

"All in all, this place is not much larger then the associated field back in normal space"

"More concerningly, She watching us." 

While Leo is thinking, snow is the one responding to kusuke

"She might not necessarily dislike us. Which may be even more concerning. There is strong evidence that this Flora, is insane, remember? And one of the directives that was being put into stoneheart was something about 'Finding real friends'. Of course, this means its VERY likely we are indeed going the right way." 

"Snow. Let's give stoneheart another checkup. If we are closing in on the source, the effect could be stronger. There might be more information"

"Right"

Leo taps at his computer, but after a few moments....
"Nothing. No change that I can see....We should probbly get moving, wouldent want to keep our.....host waiting

Leo will, Party willing, Continue

"Friends. Sure. That word means a lot to psychopaths." He wasn't sure whether to be relieved or concerned that the whole place was basically one massive illusion. On the one hand, it meant they weren't surrounded by thousands of creatures. On the other, the ability to warp perception on that kind of scale. . . He really, really didn't like the idea of what a concentrated mental attack would look like. "I ever tell you about the worst person I ever knew of?"

"His wife. His wife AND his daughter." Kusuke's voice shook slightly, pitched lower than usual. He hadn't seen the process, but he'd seen the end result. "His kid walked in while he was doing it to the latter. Turned her into a mindless robot, put her soul in an Arch-Enemy Event Weapon just because he wanted to see what would happen. I guess he liked what he saw, because his wife was a full custom order." Kusuke looked straight at Leo for a moment. "So yeah, I'm not reassured just because this Flora is looking for friends."

Leo makes a "Tch" sound.
"Some pepole just don't know what they have. If I ever run into him, Ill be sure to stab him a few times. Alternativly, freezing someone's blood so that it expands can be quite debilitating in certain situations. Is this guy dead, or is he still running around?"

"Why would he even bother with the souls of his family? Why not use Lizards or a Hired soul? Sure he can't just go mind wiping them, but lizards hardly give a shit and a hired soul would be complying already. Why bother with mindwipes anyways?"

"He is, unfortunately, very much alive. And I doubt you'd be more than a nuisance to him in a straight fight. He made his own Arch-Enemy, those things can level cities." He shook his head at the question. "You can't hire souls where I'm from. If people die, they die, and only human souls are strong enough to produce the effects you need for an Event Weapon. And why his family? He just, doesn't care. He's a monster. He looks at people, and he sees tools and objects. I don't know what happened to him. They were the most convenient, so he did it. At least he lost control of Nirvana."

Azgrurk

Azgrurk prided himself on being a very brave Ork. Sure, he was terrified of those metal gits the Humies and whatnot called "Nekronz", but he had a good reason to. Those metal cans just kept getting back up after dying. Not even Azgrurk could do that, which was both unfair and... Well, terrifying. Sure, he'd rip off the head of any Ork that would say so, but it didn't change the fact that was how he felt.

So, when he found himself in a foggy, Humie city with freaky creatures following them and/or staring at them, not to mention every other thing... Wrong with the place, it was surprising to see the Warboss become... Nervous. Mostly with worried looks being casted at the shadows, appearing ready to jump at a moments notice,

"GAH, DIS PLACE AIN'T GOOD. REMINDZ ME TOO MUCH OF DOSE 'CHAOZ' GITZ" Azgrurk muttered, before shaking his head when Leo mentioned that whoever was running the show was watching them, "IF DAT GIT IS BOTHERIN' TO WATCH US, THEY CAN BOTHER TO MAKE DIS PLACE MORE WELCOMIN'. LET'Z JUST GET DIS OVAH WITH, DIS PLACE GIVEZ ME DA CREEPZ" Azgrurk commented, right before looking up to the sky with an angry expression, before shouting, much louder than usual,

"AND QUIT WITH DA FOLLOWIN' EYEZ YA HEAR?!"

With that out of the way, Azgrurk continues.

With the events of the past couple of hours, it was no surprise that Satomi's will wasn't up to par, and with her current state she didn't even bother to try to hide the way that things were frightening her. It was like, perhaps, the deepest and strangest places of the Shadowlands, but Satomi was aware that that wasn't really an accurate comparison. This seemed even stranger than what she'd been told about the deeper Shadowlands, and certainly much stranger than the edge of the Shadowlands she'd actually seen at the Wall.

And while everything wasn't CURRENTLY trying to tear her throat out, it probably would eventually. She really couldn't trust places like this. Or Arminius.

Satomi drew her kimono tighter around herself as she walked with the others, hearing what Kusuke was talking about but not really paying much attention to it. She was, to be blunt, more focused on her own current suffering than his past.

Jun took a mental double-take as she heard Leo say that the entire place seemed to be nothing but a solid illusion, and she decided to walk a little closer to the rest of the group to ask, "So Leo, how far away are your golems again? And what are we trying to get? Because I really don't want to die in someone's magical realm on the same day as the siege."

Leo starts to explain again. But snow instead cuts him off, opting to make this simpler

"Well we-"
"Dont bother, beginning playback"

Snow quickly replays the explanations given thus far from her memory. Preventing Leo from having to explain again, having decided it was getting old.

Kusuke fell back slightly, moving closer to Satomi. He still wasn't sure if she should be here; as ragged as she already looked, this was the first time he'd seen her show actual fear. He glanced at her for a moment before concern for her well-being finally overwhelmed concern fir her honor. "Satomi, are you sure you're up for this? There's no shame in resting after a battle, especially after one of your allies backstabs you like that."

As Leo and Az step across the threshold where the city-scape stops and the winding road begins they feel a small amount of resistance, while it's easy enough to overcome when they look up they're in a completely different location.

From the rest of the party's view Leo and Az walk towards the winding road and just flat out vanish without a trace.

Satomi looked down for a moment at Kusuke's words and then looked directly at him -- her fear and her raggedness were still quite visible in her eyes, but a sort of resigned certainty was in them as well. "I am Crab. Crab cannot afford to sit around and wait while threats from other realms arise, as this quite literally seems to be. It is why we exist. It is the reason for my life. I... I... I may be in a moment of weakness, but if I were to back down from this, my dishonor, my shame, it would be... it would be... far worse than it already is."

She didn't seem like she was going to elaborate further, but then instead simply gaped at Leo and Az disappearing as they did. "...oh."

Kusuke didn't say the first thing that cane to mind at the disappearance,m; the temptation was counterbalanced by concern. "Alright then." He mentally noted to keep an eye on her; this was almost certainly pushing too hard, but he doubted she could be dissuaded. "It's just this thing messing with us, they're probably not far away." Still, Kusuke tentatively approached the cutoff point, experimentally reaching a hand through.

"Yeah...this is already going pear shaped, anyone else here know where we're supposed to go? Or was Leo it?," as Jun said this she stuck close to everyone else and searched around the place for Leo and Az's presence.

Jun's search doesn't amount to much other than that they aren't here anymore.  Also the monsters are getting closer, it looks like that pack of eyes-on-legs has finally caught up.

Leo's backpedaling causes him to immediately slam into a hard wall, shortly followed by being shoved forward be a body.

The moment Kusuke pushes his hand through the wall he finds himself no longer where he was and instead practically on top of Leo, who stumbles forward and almost falls over.

Theme:

Spoiler

The area around Kusuke, Leo, and Az slowly comes into focus, appearing out of the blank void that was there moments before.  A castle wall and gate stands before them, complete with portcullis.  A large keep stands beyond with mind-boggling and surreal architecture like towers jutting out at near horizontal angles, doors that lead to nowhere, and upside down arches.  From various window ledges, poles, and undersides hang ropes with roughly humanoid figures dangling by their necks, wrists, and/or ankles. 

No guards can be seen manning the walls anywhere, yet torches are lit.  All around them is a perpetual dull-grey light of just before dawn in place of the choking fog from before.  They can see empty green hills on all sides, save behind which is a winding road seemingly leading towards a fog shrouded city.