Flannery in Reborn - The Tale of a Firehead [Last defeated: Aster & Eclipse]

Q-Jei

Mille millions de mille milliards de mille sabords! 

Uh, sorry, I meant <insert colorful, uncharacteristically enthusiastic, really-quite-overexcited expletive here>. 

I’m delighted that you got back to this story… and I need a re-read, as too many of the details now elude me (although I did remember Jacques, the Fist of Justice, and –somewhat less precisely – Dounia). 

As usual, your edited pictures are extremely well-made, and it was a very interesting (and eventful!) read. I certainly didn’t imagine that the plot would go down this path – but it’s a good idea. Violence has consequences. 

(speaking of which… is torturing confessions out of suspects common for the Reborn police? I assumed the canonical E<=18 scene was due to the high-profile terrorist attack… but different choices are possible.) 

While serial Pokemon abusers (under the pretense of a weirdly ritualistic Darwinism) and Pokemon thieves make disturbing antagonists, you still take care to remind us, in an appropriately apocalyptic way, of the big, looming, dragon-mounted threat. 

I’m relieved that Flannery is still a good-hearted person. Had she been more cold-blooded (dare I even say jaded?), she could have got away scot-free by claiming diplomatic immunity, without even a pretense of self-reflection. Instead, she has earned (or earned more?) the respect of the police officers, Ame, and Dounia – and hopefully earned a True Companion! 

Here’s to hoping that she triumphs over these savages… ideally by bringing them to court (then jail) rather than to the intensive care unit.

• Like 2

• Replies 128
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yay, the most flaretastic girl is back <3

I got goosebumps after reading this chapter O.o Thought for a moment this will be the final chapter, with Flannery ending in jail, but thank Arceus I was was wrong :D

• Like 1

On 7/15/2022 at 7:13 PM, Evi Crystal said:

Alright first of all I'm very happy to see a new chapter of yours and hope you're feeling and doing better now these days than before^^

Okay then, this chapter send me some spins down maybe because of said one picture and said flashback. Then I actually feared Flannery was going to be at jail, but luckily Doumia saved the day. For now at least...

Also her picking Torchic was such a sweet moment to say^^

Thank you Evi! Yes, it's been quite a while since I haven't uploaded an episode but it never really was left behind. Just inactive like an old volcano. And I'm doing pretty fine these days indeed! I got my degree and I found a job that isn't too energy-consuming, so I can still enjoy my free time without worrying about anything.

And yeah, the fact that Flannery couldn't feel at peace and got the sensation of being cornered to the point of reconsidering her goals and ways of acting was a core element of this last episode, but I'm never empty-handed when it comes to twists and turns. With Jacques out of the game, I thought it could be an appropriate moment for Flannery to get support from someone else. But from there to make Dounia Flannery's new travel companion is still a big step to take. This will be another case to follow and I'm currently wondering if I will really make it happen! Also, I'm also glad to know that you enjoyed the moment when Flannery was choosing a starter! I couldn't resist to add a touch of nostalgia in this ruffian's world ^^ Now that we mention it, it turned out that I actually thought a lot of Shelly when I created her child version in the childhood arc. By the way, even if the flashback and the apocalypse pictures might look scary, I encourage you to enlarge them by clicking on them. You could notice several details that I slipped into them 😉

• 1 month later...

So, when planning out a playthrough for my story, I logged into my account as I recently switched internet browsers... then I noticed a notification from your story. Best decision I have made in a long while. 

First off, glad to see you back in the saddle on writing this. Glad things are starting to settle for you. Congrats on the degree!

Secondly, what a chapter to come back in on. I wasn't to sure how Flannery was going to get out of that situation. And Dounia being more involved is a good choice. Far to many stories dump characters after setting an... interesting background and moral compass.