The New Pokémon

Amethyst

• Administrators
A natural topic at this stage- with the designs and info just barely trickling out from Japan, there are a flurry of mixed opinions on the new crew. So far-

Zorua
Zoroark
Tsutarja
Mijumaru
Pokabu
Reshiram
Zekrom
Chiramii
Munna
Gear
Mamepato
Hihidaruma
Shimama
Meguroko

So, what do you think of them all? Many people so far have given their thumbs down on the designs- do you disagree?

• Replies 163
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm not a fan of most of them, except for the fox one (which I guess is the first two?). I think their designs are being stretched because no one can come up with anymore original designs...and I've seen a ton of cooler Fakemon.

• Administrators
Exactly, I think that's more so the case than anything. The unfamiliarity breeds and air of malcontent. And yet... People don't notice the pattern, and blame it on a legitimately inferior case of design- just as Lara said, from being stretched too thin.

I think the real question is, how can we fairly judge them?

I can't, really, because I know that I couldn't come up with those Pokemon if I tried. So I have to at least give them props for that, even though I think it's practically like they've run out of ideas. There are a few Pokemon from each generation that I love, though.

If Smogon can make better Pokemon, the Pokemon devs should be able to. Granted, Smogon's Fakemon are geared towards the competitive battler, it still shows what actual dedication can do. Their Fakemon don't have that man-made appearance and definitely remind me of Gen 3, which is awesome. The Pokemon team could definitely get some tips from them.

• Administrators
Personally, I wasn't a superfan of all of Smogon's Pokemon. Maybe it was just that- that they actually were created for competitive battling specifically, or maybe it's the different art style; they just don't feel right.
They're certainly not bad; just ehhh.

One thing I definitely want to see more of is more original families. Like, all three stages brand new, not just tacking on new evolutions to everything old. It makes the new ones seem more... more...... More more, you know? What am I trying to say here?

I liked most of the Gen 4 pokemon when they were revealed, but I don't particularly like any of these new ones so far. The grass starter is okay, but my opinion of it is still brought down by virtue of it being a grass type...
Zekrom is kinda okay, but it looks too much like a digimon rather than a pokemon.

[quote name='Stars' post='103' date='Jun 5 2010, 01:57 PM']Just thought of something.

I see people comment/complain that the new legendaries look man-made. However...wasn't Mewtwo man-made?

<3 Mewtwo

EDIT: Also Porygon.[/quote]
You can tell what Porygon is supposed to be though, a polygon. And Mewtwo has an explanation behind its man-made-looking-ness. I doubt the new pokemon will have such a reason, and if they do, then that will sadden me because they'll be reusing ideas...

[quote name='AmethystStorm' post='64' date='Jun 3 2010, 11:39 PM']Exactly, I think that's more so the case than anything. The unfamiliarity breeds and air of malcontent. And yet... People don't notice the pattern, and blame it on a legitimately inferior case of design- just as Lara said, from being stretched too thin.[/quote]
No. It's bad design.

I actually have so far never full out hated the designs for the Pokemon. I was super excited for Gen IV because I did enjoy just the look of the Pokemon...but after I learned that basically everything they were were stale old same old I grew angry. I think this generation looks pretty...bad. I mean, I kind of like the look of the three starters, but overall, the types are the same (which is boring) and they don't look all that exciting. I guess the starters never do to me, but still.

• Administrators
Gotta say, I'm not huge fan of the starters, and Pokabu makes me want to shred a teddy bear (shreddy bear?) but I do like Zoroark even if it is just another Lucario, and I have no problem with the legendaries.
Then again, this is coming from someone who's never seen digimon. Can someone tell me exactly what about them resembles digimon?

[b][color="#48D1CC"]Yay more new pokemon[/color][/b]
[b]Chiramii
Munna
Gear
Mamepato
Hihidaruma
Shimama
Meguroko[/b]

[b][color="#48D1CC"]As before discuss thought on these pokemon [/color][/b]

Chiramii - Kinda neat but way too plain for my liking. Yay for Technician?
Munna - Mmmeh.
Gear - Looks like two Bronzors fused together (Weezing, anyone?). Not sure what to think of this one.
Mamepato - Looks too much like Starly.
Hihidaruma - Could be interesting. Yay new fire type, I suppose.
Shimama - I can dig it. Yay Motor Drive. Not so sure about that Wild Bolt thing though.
Meguroko - Probably my favorite of the new ones in this update. I like the STAB combination and the new ability.

• Administrators
Hi Ice!

Chiramii- Cute, but do we really need more mice...
Muuna- Yay for a dream eater pokemon, but uh, the design hurts me.
Gear- Not horrible. Okay, I think it has potential.
Mamepato- Not only does it look like Starly, it's in Honchkrow's signature pose, and based on the same bird as Pidgey. Fail.
Hihidaruma- Another one who's design hurts.
Shimama- I like this one. I hope it doesn't stay pure Electric though.
Meguroko- New type combination, but not a great one... The eyes are weird too.

All I can say is that this generation better have some badass evolutions for these guys.

[quote name='AmethystStorm' post='158' date='Jun 11 2010, 11:32 AM']Shimama- I like this one. I hope it doesn't stay pure Electric though.

All I can say is that this generation better have some badass evolutions for these guys.[/quote]
Here's hoping for the Dark/Electric that Luxray should have been.

Chiramii - It's so cute~. I want one. Or two. Though I have no idea if I'll ever use it to battle, because I have a feeling it'll be another Rattata, and I never used those in battle either.
Munna - Um, what? What's it going to do, approach me and while I'm trying to decide whether to "aww, how cute" it or be creeped out, latch on to my face?
Gear - Not a fan. Looks lame.
Mamepato - Aah, the standard 3-stage flying type makes its appearance. I reserve judgment until I see its evolved forms, because I didn't like Starly either until I saw Staraptor.
Hihidaruma - Are we [i]trying[/i] to make me have to copy and paste names? 'cause if we have, we've succeeded. That doesn't look like a standard Pokemon to me. It looks more like a rampaging bull who would be guarding a mountain pass.
Shimama - Aw, cute. Its eyes remind me of Shinx. I like it, and am hoping for a super-awesome evolution, like Ponyta and Rapidash.
Meguroko - Why do I see this Pokemon being owned and used as comic relief by one of the Rockets of this generation? I also have the strangest feeling that this will be added to Stars' Pokemon team to replace that stupid Hippowdon.

• 2 weeks later...
Forget the new Pokemon, I'm intrigued about the new three-on-three battles. o:

...Butyeah. From what little Serebii is showing me, the only one of that list I [i]might[/i] one day like is Moguryu.

• Administrators
Uh...
I'm not a fan yet.

I'm okay with 3v3, only because it's often been seen in the anime for a while. I wonder if they're not taking it too far though.