The New Pokémon

Amethyst

[quote name='AZKnight' post='1944' date='Jul 30 2010, 10:22 PM'][list]
[*]New Trainer classes! Wait, was that an American Football player? Wha-wha-why? It will only make sense to Americans...
[/list][/quote]
I really doubt that. Japan actually has a league of their own (as do other countries...NFL always plays a game in the UK/Canada every year, lately, I think).
[img]http://www.smwiki.net/images/9/94/CharginChuck.gif[/img]

• Replies 163
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Then after that we're going to skip to RTS.

"Move the Gyarados squadron around the back of the map to surprise his Golem defenses."
"It's too late! They've already launched their Fearow flyers!
"Egads! Ready the Onix and Rhyperior! We mustn't let them steal our Masterball!"

Upgrading classes would be evolution.

[quote name='AZKnight' post='2205' date='Aug 2 2010, 05:56 PM']Then after that we're going to skip to RTS.

"Move the Gyarados squadron around the back of the map to surprise his Golem defenses."
"Egads! Ready the Onix and Rhyperior! We mustn't let them steal our Masterball!"

Upgrading classes would be evolution.[/quote]
Sounds like fun. Though I think I might enjoy a tactics game more than an RTS.

[quote name='AZKnight' post='2205' date='Aug 2 2010, 07:56 PM']Then after that we're going to skip to RTS.

Upgrading classes would be evolution.[/quote]

I loled for about 10 minutes.... Which is about the time between me reading this and posting this......
Though that really shouldn't happen >_>

Since I never really have expressed my opinion on most of the released Pokemon, I felt I should go through them if only so I have a record of my thoughts for a later date. In addition to that is the fact that a lot of people have been complaining that this generation has very unimaginative and ugly Pokemon and I'd like to disagree. I still don't remember if I followed any of the pre-release stuff for Diamond and Pearl nor do I remember how many Pokemon were revealed beforehand. I feel some people might be jumping the gun and having their views on previous generations clouded by nostalgia. You think the new Gear looking Pokemon is uninspiring? Then what do you call Diglett, as it's just a bump with a pink nose and eyes. Oh, and it's evolution Dugtrio is just....3 Diglett. Real inspiring there, but despite that I like Dugtrio and don't view it as lame. I guarantee that several of the Pokemon that are being bashed now might become favorites after you play the game. And to have my own defenses solidified, I'm going to go over all the current Pokemon released thus far so I can go, "Ha!" In addition I will be going through this in the same order as they are listed on Serebii, so if you want to follow along do so.

[img]http://archives.bulbagarden.net/media/upload/e/e2/494.png[/img]
[b]Tsutaja [/b]- This is without a doubt my favorite among the three new starters. The tail has that leaf design on it to solidify that it is in fact a Grass type, while at the same time it looks different enough from Treeko that it's not a clone. I do find it odd that is the "Grass Snake" Pokemon since...it's not a snake. I suppose if you removed the limbs the body looks very serpentine which isn't true for lizards. Other reptiles do not have the same look and feel as a snake so being able to see the serpentine form in there is cool The coloring is also very nice with the green and yellow accents and it just makes me think of grass and a garden snake. Now what I do not like about it is the eyes, they just seem too big to me. It just takes up so much of the side of its head and I think maybe if they made them smaller or they removed the white portion to just show the brown iris. Plus, that would give it a better snake look as you can't see the white portion of eyes on most animals. I also don't like the feet because they look lacking. There is just no detail in the form of toes or a foot or claws. It's the small things that bring it out like that, instead of just a generic shape. Overall I am pleased with Tsutaja and I just hope that a beta sketch that was released is in fact NOT its evolution because that design I don't like.

[img]http://archives.bulbagarden.net/media/upload/9/99/497.png[/img]
[b]Pokabu[/b] - Again, I like the design of this starter and don't think it is a bad Pokemon. The colors are again very nice with the orange body with the yellow on the forehead representing flame and the brown thrown in there to give it a splash of design and possible meaning mud since its a pig. The only thing I don't like about the color placement is that the brown on its rear makes it look like its wearing a diaper to me. Less noticeable in the game sprite and it's something that I can easily look past. There's also the subtle difference of it having brown tips on its front legs but not its back ones, which I like, too. It breaks the design up so it's not a mirror image all around. The ear placement is whimsical and as much as I want to say they look like rabbit ears instead of pig ears, I can't. They don't look like pig ears, but for some reason they don't scream out rabbit like they do for some people. The ball on its tail I thought had been used before for Spoink and Grumpig, but I was wrong. Neither have their pearls on their tails so that's a new aspect for pig Pokemon. Now I know in Generation I it was Mankey/Primeape, Gen. II Swinub/Piloswine, Gen. III Spoink/Grumpig, and I don't think there was a new pig Pokemon for Gen. IV beside Mamoswine which became more woolly mammoth, so somehow we've managed to keep adding pigs to Pokemon. Again, I don't like being able to see the whites of its eyes, but at least this time I don't think the eyes are too big themselves. Then despite the color scheme I just don't feel the Fire type vibe very strong and it reminds me of Torchic. It didn't feel like a Fire type until it evolved for me.

[img]http://archives.bulbagarden.net/media/upload/b/be/500.png[/img]
[b]Mijumaru[/b] - Ah yes, the one that everyone hates, myself included. First off, bad color scheme in my opinion. Having it's entire head be white just looks bad, especially since it's just a simple round and bald shape. There is nothing to break the white up besides its two ears. Then despite going for this soft tones of white and blue, it randomly has an orange version of a Diglett nose. Just like the diaper on Pokabu, its nose is far less noticeable in the game sprite and looks like a more natural otter nose. After all, most of us care more how Pokemon look in the game than in their artwork anyway. Saying that I think the sprite is much better in making its design blend more, with the exception that its white, round head still looks wrong. If I had to compare this thing to something I'd have to say Piplup. It, too, is this weird light blue puffball that I honestly have no love for. But I do have love for Empoleon which looks badass and expect Mijumaru to follow that path. Call it a gut instinct. The sad thing is that with its white head, I see more Ice than I do Water for it. Maybe this means it will evolve into a Water/Ice Pokemon which was something I thought would be bad and was overused earlier on. Now I look at it thinking that wouldn't be bad since there are only 4 other Water/Ice types, 3 of which are from the first generation. I hope it goes a different route just for the sake of having new type combination. The starters usually go that way with Charizard being the only non-legendary Fire/Flying, Torterra the only Grass/Ground, Empoleon the only Water/Steel, and Blaziken/Infernape the only Fire/Fighting. And yet, that leaves so many other starters that aren't unique. Blastoise and Feraligatr are pure Water which hugely common, Typlosion is pure Fire, Meganium and Sceptile pure Grass, Venusaur the oh so common Grass/Poison from Gen. I, and Swampert is the 2nd of 4 Water/Ground types. So if Mijumaru becomes the 5th Water/Ice type, it will be par the course.

I will continue to go through the rest of the Pokemon, but for now I'm going to take a break. Don't know if I'll edit the post or make a new one considering how much I wrote for each Pokemon. This is Blaine's lab assistant signing off.

[quote name='AZKnight' post='2365' date='Aug 4 2010, 03:24 PM']I feel some people might be jumping the gun and having their views on previous generations clouded by nostalgia.[/quote]
It's not that, it's just fundamentally a whole different style from past generations. It just feels different, and I don't like it. And there's a very easy answer to why it feels different. No one from the original generation is left. The style just feels uninspired, it feels very...bland, to me, at least, and probably everyone else who has a problem with the new generation of Pokemon. It just lacks the something the first two or three generations had on me.

I'm never going to like this Pokemon in a sense of style. I may like them in a battle sense, but I'm not going to ever like how they look. I never exactly was won over with how Magnezone looks, but I certainly use him all the time. Doesn't mean I think it looks good, doesn't mean I like it for any other reason than stats. But even in the fourth generation, I'd argue that they still felt like Pokemon to me. A little waning on the style, but not completely devoid. Generation V just seems to be going farther and farther from what the first two felt like, to me, and a lot of others. It's not really something that can be explained, it's just different feeling in style due to who's designing the Pokemon now. I really really wish someone from the original games was still working on the design team.

[quote name='Stars' post='2396' date='Aug 4 2010, 09:52 PM']The Pokemon Musical thing looks lame. But. THEY NEED TO GIVE US COSTUME PIECES LIKE THAT TO USE IN BATTLE!!!!![/quote]
The Pokemon Musical wouldn't be so bad if there is something actually musical to it. Like in Mario Paint or Warioware DIY! Although I guess that'd turn some people off to it (although I really don't see who it is supposed to appeal to in the first place).

That would be weird though, especially if it were to carry over to wild Pokemon. FLAMBOYANTLY COSTUMED JIGGLYPUFF APPEARS.

Just kidding, all Jigglypuffs look flamboyant. Not that there's anything wrong with that. I'm glad Jigglypuffs are allowed to marry in my state again.

(I did not mean anything mean by that last part, but now I feel like Jigglypuff was the worst Pokemon to pick. Just because my mind wandered off to Arrested Development. I feel like Gob.)

EDIT:
Also:
[url="http://www.joystiq.com/2010/08/04/pokemon-black-and-white-to-feature-new-pokemon-only-until-you-b/"]http://www.joystiq.com/2010/08/04/pokemon-...ly-until-you-b/[/url]

I personally actually enjoy this idea. As much as I hate the look of all the new Pokemon, it'll actually give me an incentive (or well, technically force me) not to use the same old team I tend to use all the time.

I am a fan of the flying squirrel.

Edit: Okay. Something just hit me.

All new Pokemon until you beat the game...does this mean...NO NEW EVOLUTIONS of old Pokemon? (that seems odd to me, considering that one of the new Poke's looks a lot like Luvdisc.) Does this also mean the generation is going to be really big?

[quote name='mashew' post='2472' date='Aug 5 2010, 10:57 PM']I LOVE IT!! lol it has better typing than zubat[/quote]
Only if you're a Psychic fanboy like Ame. It lost its Psychic weakness and Bug resistance and gained Dark and Ghost weaknesses. And STAB Psychic isn't particularly better than Poison. It's already got Flying to handle Fighting types, so the only improvement is that it now has something to use against Poison types.

[quote name='Stars' post='2518' date='Aug 8 2010, 07:32 AM']Only if you're a Psychic fanboy like Ame. It lost its Psychic weakness and Bug resistance and gained Dark and Ghost weaknesses. And STAB Psychic isn't particularly better than Poison. It's already got Flying to handle Fighting types, so the only improvement is that it now has something to use against Poison types.[/quote]
Now lets talk about counters >> all I see is i get screwed by electric and Ice,then if it or its evolutions roost and just as fast zubat and his, it'll get screwed by bug.Also,because its flying doesnt mean it resist bug automatically.you dont know what game freak might do to it before we even see the pokedex on serebii.So its best not to guess Resistance and weakness til they get info on all the pokes in the 5th gen.

Gen V should be the last bit pokemon they make,they're pretty running outta ideas.The flying Squirrel Emgona Or something with a E >> have you heard of the Elec Squirrel Pachirisu.I see no diffrence other then they photo shop a different tail,ears, yellow bat wings on it.Plus they messed up the gameplay from the 3rd and 4th gen abit with the dream world pokemon with different ablities,so now they might have a something like pikachu with volt absorb.*sigh* Gen V pretty much ate,broke,and choke to death the previous Generations and drag them all to hell with no chance of seeing the light of day.