Fire Emblem On The Forums: Ashes (IC)

Pyon Pyon Kyuu!~

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Troubanna_prelim_dgreen.png

"I'm sorry dear, it's just important that these folks meet some nice Caelum locals! I wouldn't want them to leave our country thinking ill of us!"

---

NTT0BKU.png

At the punch bowl, Keagan is standing there with a cup in his hand looking about as awkward as Meredith herself. Instead of his usual armor he wore simple dress clothes. "Hello." Keagan greeted Meredith. He was silent for a bit, and as awkwardly as his greeting he spoke again. "Nice weather." 

---

VG1qXbt.png

"Ya know, the food isn' anywhere near as good as Ecquis promised." Cherry said stuffing her face with cakes. 

NeToVbD.png

"You're still eating it anyways." 

VG1qXbt.png

"Of course I am pipsqueak you can' waste food. But I've stolen better is all I'm sayin'"

"Uh... l suppose? Good ta know you're out of your element here too." Meredith wasn't really sure how to react to such and she couldn't but help to let out a hearty laugh. She quickly tried to stop herself though she didn't want to offend him. Keagan... didn't seem the talkative type. But, she knew nearly nothing about him, she'd not really spoken to him much and wondered if anyone in their little group really had. She finished fishing herself some punch before holding up her glass. 

"A toast, for the soldiers who got dragged here cause they have nothing better ta do." she waited for him to clink glasses. Hopefully he got what was going on, otherwise this was going to be ever so much more awkward.

• Developers

0c611388f4a844dd9358eaf6fc40e759.png

"Well we just got thrown out but... All things considered, I don't think that was a disaster." Terrin remarked with a shrug to Hoshiko and Saffron. "I don't think she asked us to leave because she didn't believe us. I think she asked us to believe because Sol'Fael didn't believe us, and a marital spat is hardly something to air in front of the potential ruler of another nation." He said, hopefully, trying his best to reassure the two. "I suppose there's little else we can do now but wait to hear back from them."

NTT0BKU.png

"I've always had more muscle than class anyways." He remarked as he toasted with Meredith. He drank his drink and filled it up again. "I wanted to go to the meeting with Saffron, stay by her side and protect her. But Feri told me that I would have to speak and... That's not really my strong point." 

---

HYCzHYz.png

"I supposed you are right. I just wish it didn't happen so suddenly." She sighed deeply and relaxed her posture. "The way they looked at us... I think it might be easier to fight General Garbhan's elite than to trade glares with Lua'Magi. I can't thank the both of you enough, you two aren't even from Dragao and you are fighting so hard to help me protect it. Thank you."

• Developers

0c611388f4a844dd9358eaf6fc40e759.png

"You are welcome, of course. We've come this far, after all. And yes, Lua Magi, well... She was certainly... something. She didn't seem particularly nice, but it was clear she cares about her people, just as you do yours, and is cautious to that extent. She believed us when the much kinder Sol'Fael did not. I hope she can convince both him and the Ignis of the weight to our words." Terrin folded his arms. "It's a shame we were hurried out so quickly that we didn't have a chance to present the gauntlet to them, though. Perhaps I should have offered it up at the start..." He sighed, unsure of himself.

"l had figured you as one that was not much for words. No matter, l'm not much of a talker myself. Hittin' stuff is my preferred method of diplomacy." Meredith said accompanied by a beaming grin from ear to ear. She even flexed her arm, and about sending herself to tumble at the movement. She caught herself, managing to not spill her drink as well. She was getting more used to these heels... kinda. "You care about her a lot huh?" she suddenly switched tones to a more serious sort.

"All the family you have huh? l'd ask but l'm not sure if you'd want to be all that open about that subject... given..." Meredith really trailed off there sort of losing her way mind sentence. She was wondering if this was okay for her to touch on. lt was something she'd been wondering about since the beginning, since the trio had joined her small unit. But, she wasn't sure this was the appropriate place for it. A party wasn't usually the place to delve into the more personal side of things especially one's that could be touchy subjects. 

NTT0BKU.png

"Given what? My father is a mad king, and my mother is probably a tavern keeper somewhere. Don't know, Roswell never told me." He said bluntly. "The only person with more reasons to hate Roswell is Saffron, but she is incapable of that. So I am Roswell's number one enemy."

"Well, that wasn't how l wanted that to come out at all..." Meredith rubbed the back of her head. Now she was the one making it really awkward. She wasn't so great at this people thing. lt was silent between the two of them for a moment until something about the way Keagan phrased something felt... off. "My mother is probably a tavern keeper somewhere. l don't know he never told me." wasn't Roswell married? Meredith recalled his marriage to the high priestess... 

"You don't know your birth mother...?"

Meredith fist clenched while listening to Keagan's words. She got angrier as she heard it, finally culminating into her smashing her fist into the table. All the glassware jumped and clattered at the impact. The punch leapt out of the bowl, some spilling out over the edge from the force of the impact. There was an indent left where she had clobbered it, it was quite the force she had mustered."As if l needed more reasons ta hate that man." she growled out, anger seething through her words. "l'm... apologies..." she wasn't really sure what to say,but she hadn't meant to let her anger get the better of her.

NTT0BKU.png

"Don't be mad because of what he did to me, be mad for what he did to Saffron." Keagan put his hand on the table to steady the glasses. "That was her home more than it was her, and it's her right to rule Dragao. She will be a good Queen I know it. So we have to fight for her, our feelings come second." He paused, as if he was unsure if he should say it or not. But he went ahead and said it. "But if I get the chance, I'd like to be the one that ends him."

Meredith wasn't really sure how to precede, she simply nodded. lt was at least true that Saffron would be a much better ruler than that of Roswell. The man didn't set a lofty bar, so that was easy said. But, Meredith had faith that she'd be as the rulers before. One who loved her country and her people. Not like the demon that sat on the throne... using lives as a means to an end. Lives to throw, fuel on the pyre of his inhuman war. "l understand. Send a word for me too though ye? The Undying has her own score ta settle with the Demon King. His soul... l'll see to it that it rots in hell for what he's done ta my beloved Dragao... and her people. To me. For each and every soldier who's fought in the rebellions... Remember us in that final stroke. Remember all the strife and pain he's caused, and the suffering, the woe brought inta this world. Many that would wish ta take that strike will never get that chance. But... you absolve us of ever needing to. Just understand this; lt won't heal ya. lt won't fill anything. Destruction can only beget more destruction. lt is but the beginning of a long road. But, l know you won't have ta walk it alone... not like l did."

NTT0BKU.png

"Heal?" Keagan brought a hand under his chin as he thought hard about it. "I don't need to heal, I've got everything I need with Saffron and Feri, and I'll have everything I want once Roswell is dead. I've never been truly alone, so I guess our experiences are different. But I don't think either of us are alone right now, and that's what matters. We've got allies who support us. And more importantly, we support them." 

29th of First Heat

The party continued on, but it was rather uneventful. It played like a normal party, and passed in a flash of food and music. The next day, early in the morning a messenger came, waking everyone and gathering in the main hall. Everyone gathered, either drowsy or fully awake to see Sol'Fael, brimming in his self confidence standing at their doorstep. 

SolFael.png

"Wow there really aren't many of you, it's impressive you made it to the capital!" He mused for a moment. Then he coughed and placed his hands behind his back. "Congratulations Terrin Son of Lady Aisha, Hoshiko the Righteous Daughter of idou Ishikawa. You have done something I thought was impossible, move both my wives into action and disregard the senate's advice. I am here to present to you the terms in which Caelum will aid your war effort." He paused for a moment to allow for any celebration. "To those who don't know me, I am Sol'Fael one of the pillars that holds up this country, and we are going to get well acquainted in the next few months. There are conditions to this deal, and they not negotiable. First, you will all accompany me North to Yukihana, and find the sources of the... Animated corpses. If there truly are any soldiers of the dead, which I highly doubt, then I am more than equipped to find their source. I am studied in various magics, second only to one of my own wives in this country. We want to keep this secret though, so instead of traveling with my own guards I will travel with all of you. If you can get from Dragao to Caelum, I'm sure you all can survive a few snow bandits and wolves. Now for the second clause," He gestured to a guard, and this guard left and came back bringing in the girl that Ecquis met at the party the previous day. "This is Lina Daughter of Anwar. Like many people of Caelum sadly, her home is currently under attack. She will go with us to Yukihana on this mission, and on our return we will free her lands as well as all of the lands Dragao has taken from Caelum. For Caelum to help Queen Saffron, we need her help first. The third and final clause, is the simplest one: after Queen Saffron is in power, she and her people will never raise arms again against the people of Caelum. We hope that it will be the beginning of a very fruitful alliance. In return, we promise to lend men in the war effort, and funding. This is... As soon as we acquire it." He sighed. "Politics in Caelum are slow, so we can not promise either one immediately. While I am out with you all, my wives will convince the senate that this is a good course of action. They might have a harder job than fighting animated corpses, trust me when I say that. But they are determined to help, and so am I. You have my word as Sol, that Dragao will be freed with Caelum hands it will just take time. These are your conditions, do you accept them?"

HYCzHYz.png

"There is nothing to discuss, we accept your terms. Thank you for this Sol'Fael, I look forward to fight beside you." 

SolFael.png

"Oh I will not be fighting! I uh, while I am armed with a sword and know how to use it I will not be endangering my life! I apologise if that may come off as arrogant, but if my life ever comes in danger I will run. However, I am trained as a healer and won't run from someone in need. I am however counting on you to protect me, for the benefit of a long and profitable future between us."

nkmYqJV.png

Mercer's hesitation to walk up to the red-haired soldier was immense. Ever since a couple of years ago he's feared no bandit, thug or soldier... but that lady... she scares him. He let out a small sigh before mustering up all the courage he has to move his feet forward. Once at talking distance he stayed silent for a moment before clearing his throat. 

qkSSoK6.png

"Ahem... y-you're Meredith, yes? I was talking to Mayanna earlier about officially joining your group and fight for your cause. However, I was told to come to you since you're the one in charge of stuff like that. So, would allow me to join your party? I'm certain my axe will be a great asset in your future endeavors." His voice was shaky at first but he quickly composed himself. He just hoped that first sign of fear wouldn't cost him.

ZL7mt8W.png

Hoshiko beamed. She struck a pose with her bow held horizontally above her head, high in the air, almost like it was lifting her up. "Hah! I knew I could inspire you to aid the cause of justice across the land!" She relaxed into a more normal standing position after a moment.  "I'm glad to have your help, and the help of the rest of Caelum."

lkU2da6.png
"Good to know you won't be fighting. Means l don't have to spring for your supplies, you can provide for yourself. After all, money's tight for a woman like me." She said smiling, though she couldn't really conceal the venom dripping from between her teeth. She clearly wasn't happy with a bunch more adding to her small band. Money was tight enough as it was. She needed to remember to put in an order to Anna Marie for some new provisions before they left speaking of, but now wasn't the time.

"Ahem... y-you're Meredith, yes?"

She heard a voice come from somewhere behind her, poor lad must've been shaking in his boots how scared he sounded. Meredith softly sighed to herself. Well, this ought to be something. She turned on her heel. She left speaking until she heard out what he had to say. She recognized him, the one who had guided them here to the city. She tried to stifle a laugh at the revelation. She was sure she gave him a lasting impression. 

"Yes, l would be Meredith The Undying. l am the leader of this small band of misfits. You wanna join huh?" she said looking down her nose at him. She could afford to as she was taller, and she wasn't about to let him off without yanking his chain some. She sized him up seeing how he'd react, and to get an idea of what sort of person he was. She couldn't tell a whole lot... but she knew he was afraid of her.

Xoz03A8.png

Now that Mercer's up close he notices just how towering this lass is. He was already considered decently tall but she still towered over him. It reminded him of when he was a child and when he was surrounded by towering men. It reminded of how helpless he felt then. But he's older now and he can defend. No longer will he cower in the shadows like a child, he can fight his own battles. So he gave a fierce glare into the woman's eyes. He was definitely scared, scared out of his mind, but he wouldn't let it control him, he's done that for far too long.

qkSSoK6.png

"Yes, I'd like to join." The man spoke with only a hint of fear now.

lgw2lFV.png

Meredith closed her eyes and took a deep breath.

lkU2da6.png

"Sure." She said painless and carefree. She wasn't really one for beating around the bush and the man handled his fear. A useful strength on the battlefield. She wasn't sure of his skills in combat but she didn't expect him to ask if he had none to fall back on, or wasn't willing to learn how to fight. So, lt was a simple conclusion really. lt'd be worth the cost... probably.

Xoz03A8.png

As the armored lady took in that deep breath time seemed to move exponentially slower...

Listening as the air slowly filled her lungs was heart pounding...

What was she going to say. What was she going to do?

Would it be some rigorous test to test hid grit and might? Would he have to fight her in a duel? Would she make him duel someone else?

All these potential ideas and more raced the through man's head. 

Then as Meredith opened her mouth his anticipation reached it's peak. Now was the moment he would find out what in the goddess' name will happen next.

lkU2da6.png

"Sure."

nkmYqJV.png

And in that instant his adrenaline, his fear, his anticipation, it all crashed and burned into the ground with that single word phrase. All that self made build up for such a simple response. It was quite the thrill kill, the kinda of kill when a book, TV show or movie builds up the climax but it's just disappointing at best.

qkSSoK6.png

"So... that's is? Asking if I really want to join? Not going to test my worth or check about my previous history?" Mercer spoke a dismayed at this whole situation.

lkU2da6.png

"Well, l'm sure Maya informed ya of the threat we face. l'm sure ya wouldn't be asking if ya didn't think ya could handle it." she said shifting her weight. She was trying to hold in her laughter at the man's response. His disappoint at the ease was hilarious. She managed to keep her face straight and stoic however, minus perhaps a small smirk. "Cause if ya can't handle it... lt's not me who's dyin'. Got that? This isn't a day in the park or surviving out in the desert. This is war, this is real battle. These aren't simple highwayman or bandits. lt's the army of Dragao. lf you're aware of that it's the only thing l need. l don't need ta check your skills, l just need bodies willin' ta fight. l don't need to know your background or where you came from... that doesn't change how ya swing a weapon and further it doesn't matter. My unit, is just people who are willin' ta pick up arms ta put an end ta Roswell.

"That is all that matters. Me kickin' your ass doesn't prove anything." She said smiling. She gave him a hefty pat on the shoulder, probably with enough force to unbalance a grown man if he wasn't paying attention and caught off his guard.