Fire Emblem On The Forums: Ashes (IC)

Pyon Pyon Kyuu!~

59 minutes ago, Bfroger6 said:

klarenhappyhot_by_ninjacyndaquil-danjm76

"Right right, I have something super special to ask of you to help me with!" Slowly and without any warning, he began taking off his robe over his head and then...

jtJGWu5.png

"W-wait! What do you think you're-" she began to protest, before she the purple robe landed in her face.

1 hour ago, Bfroger6 said:

"Ta-dah! Help me make a cool and mysterious scary hoodie out of this so I can be ultra great on the frontlines, teehee!"

jtJGWu5.png

"Um, so you want me to sew a... design for you?" she said, puzzled. It was certainly a strange request, coming from Klaren. She hadn't thought he was the type to care about appearances. She lifted the robe in the air, examining the garment. It was tattered and showed sign of wear. It was undoubtedly due to his willingness to be up close and personal with the enemy. The least she could do was mend it for him.  "I'm afraid I only have basic experience with sewing, but I could try if you'd like. And also, what do you mean by a cool and mysterious scary hoodie."

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Developers

0c611388f4a844dd9358eaf6fc40e759.png

It wasn't long before Terrin had finished his pushups, and had picked up the broken lance, holding the two halves together as if it was whole, and darting around a nearby tree, jabbing at it with surprising speed and finesse given he was armoured. He quickly spun around and threw the pointed half of the weapon, which ended up hitting right in the centre of a tree quite a distance away from him with enough force to lodge itself in it. "...Still got it. Now I just need to..." He murmured to himself with a confident smile, before grabbing his tome from the ground and casting a quick bolt in the same direction he had thrown the lance. It didn't come close to hitting the tree, however, arcing to the side and hitting the ground a ways away from his intended target. "Why is it so much harder...?" He asked himself, clearly frustrated, to confident smile from before having canished as quickly as it had crept onto his face..

b51ee9607ffc4e129946ca824722a8ed.png

"Not sure if I'm a fan of that chuckle. Just know that if you do get into trouble, it may not end well for you. At any rate, I'll be handling some other things for the moment. Sven, mind watching things over here?" he asks, looking towards his mount. Sven leans a bit closer to Cherry, then backs away a bit and lies down on the ground, somewhat disinterested, but still alert.

"That works then. Now then..." Ecquis trails off a bit before walking towards Dash and Maya. "I take it he'll be alright?"

oXVm8Zn.png

"Yes, given a bit of time to rest. He should be just fine by morning..." the light had already dispersed from the boy by the time Ecquis arrived, fading away in a storm reminiscent of faint blue embers dancing above the swirling inferno of a bonfire. Despite the smile on her face, obviously glad the boy would be fine, her eyes told another, far more clandestine tale altogether- infact, in the dimming light, Ecquis might've even noticed a hard glint, as she brushed past lightly and headed away from the camp towards the outskirts. Even as she walked, she was detaching the Heal gem from her staff and reaching into her sleeves, though for what reason was anyone's guess. 

From the sidelong glance she'd given him as she passed though, it should've been obvious enough she expected the rider to follow. She didn't bother checking to see if he did either.

Rather curious as to her expressions, Ecquis decided to follow Maya for the time being. He didn't have much else to do, though he did make a glance at his other wyverns to let them know where he was going.

oXVm8Zn.png

Maya continues a few paces further before finally stopping. With a single turn to check the distance, she confirms it's far enough that none of the others were unlikely to overhear. Then she continues a bit further into the woods, though not so far as to lose sight of the flickering of the camp fire in the distance entirely.

"Tell me, Ecquis..." she idly begins as she walks, "you've traveled around, met many people, haven't you? Have you ever been betrayed? Found out someone you've trusted for so long was lying to your face the entire time, undermining all your hard work behind your back?"

She turned to the rider, and in her hands he could see plain as day what she held- the detached Heal Gem, burning with a near unnatural pedigree of radiance in one, and the dark tome she'd shown him much earlier clutched in the other, fingers bone white as she shook. 

"Have you ever met someone who made you feel like a total fool for ever trusting them? Someone who plays the part of the town crier, but behind the veil is none other than the burglar who plagues it in the night? Someone who stands by and watches you suffer and break down in defeat, bit by bit, day in and day out, for years on end, and says nothing? Have you, Ecquis?"

The light slowly intensifies, a strange breed of malice permeates the air in between them, as do flickering embers of brilliant sapphire light, yet despite it's palpable nature, Ecquis would still be able to tell easily enough from their previous exchanges that none of it was actually aimed at him... but that only raises yet another question- who else would there be there, than him?

"I couldn't really say. Technically my family could count, but they didn't care about me much to begin with. You already know the story between myself and Alvis, and Anna back in Caelum was rather good to me. So I suppose that for me, the answer is no," Ecquis answers, noticing the aura present in the air. 

"I've heard bits and pieces about your past, though not all too much all things considered. So what about you? Is there someone like that for you?" Ecquis asks back, thinking it may lead to the reason that Maya brought him out here.

Hoshiko dropped from her tree, having to ensure that she made a sufficient amount of noise; despite her penchant for proclaiming the glory and the justice of the Fiery Goddess from on high, her time as a hunter had taught her to be quiet when needed. 

ZL7mt8W.png "Terrin? What are you doing?"

Serene folded her arms behind her head. Unlike Meredith, she looked completely fine, her breathing remaining regular, her clothes neatly arrayed about her frame. Perhaps it was just the fact that she had not carried anyone, but it still spoke of a remarkable physical stamina to run that distance without being winded. She responded to Meredith's gratitude with a casual dismissal.

"Nah, what I did amounts to just cinders. All I did was toss a few fireballs at people. Nothing much, in any case. In fact, you pretty much saved me earlier, too. Though the manner of that saving was a bit...unexpected, to say the least."

Serene lightly blushed as she recalled being carried in Meredith's strong, reliable arms, breathing in the strange mix of scents that surrounded her savior - the metallic tang of blood, the earthly stench of sweat. She briefly shook her head to clear it of such thoughts. This was not the time.

"So, uh, tell me about yourself. Why'd a pretty woman like you become a soldier? I dare say, you wouldn't look out of place among the ladies in one of the many parties the aristocracy is so fond of hosting."

oXVm8Zn.png

"..."

88dOLAF.png

"......"

WOLlhMe.png

"......................"

SXctXIi.png

"There was." two words, after goddess knows how many moments of silence. Only two. If one didn't know any better, it might have almost seemed like she'd been waiting for something... "But even after hearing all that, he's still too much of a coward to give me the answers I deserve..." the motion is quick sudden, the tome flies through the air and hits the earth with a surprisingly heavy thud. Still though, there is no response from the thing beyond a few pages turning in the wind. At this, Maya's eyes only harden further, the sensation of malice grows stronger, and with it emerges an inexplicable snarling around them, savage as a pack of wolves. The embers of holy light begin to group closer and closer together, pulsating in their thick swarm.

"Fine. I'm done playing this game. I never agreed to it to begin with. If you're not going to show your face willingly, I know how to draw you out-" she turns her sights on the swarming lights that practically choked the air by then with their number. Like loyal hunds, they bayed in anticipation, but held their places "you tried to harm the boy earlier, I stopped you because he wasn't the one who deserved it. But that book on the ground, that tome? It may not look it, be there lies the one who does deserve it...

Sic Semper Proditor."

At those three, archaic words, and those three alone, the Healing Light leaps forward as one single beast, closing in upon the fell tome like vultures descended from the heavens to feast upon the flesh of the damned- a virtual storm of snarling, snapping howls and roars, but beneath it all this a cacophony even greater- screaming. Screeches most inhuman in both nature and volume, so great in their magnitude, Ecquis could likely feel his very body vibrate with every blast of it's noise, though Maya stands unphased and unmerciful as she watches what would surely be utter carnage if inflicted upon a man, but is here little more than a chaotic rush of scattered wisps and streaking energy. And from the gradual shift in feeling, it becomes clear, that whatever power obeyed her command in those moments, it was the Light of Healing no longer, but something far more vicious, far more vindictive. 

Her malice pervades like never before in the small space. So great is the light's fury, physical is imparted upon the tome, small at first but quickly growing in magnitude as pages fly, the sound of leather being shredded and torn somehow prevails above the horrid screeching and snarls. Soon Ecquis can not even see the book itself amidst the onslaught, but in it's place, the faintest silhouette of a man lying on the earth. 

Buv5Stx.png

writhing in what seems to be agony as the Light of Divine Retribution continues to tear away at his form with it's unyielding fangs. The inhuman screams that had dominated all else for so long now faded in both volume and pitch until they became that befitting of a young man being eviscerated, and eventually, even those fade into words, sentences, begging

"S-...Stop.... STOOOOOOOP! NO! NOOOO! Away from me, you beasts! BEGOOOOONE!" despite his attempt at retaliation though, no bolts of unnatural darkness forms no spirits of the night rush to his aid, for all those he had under his command had themselves been driven out by the power of the goddess brought to bare by the priestess, and with them, whatever power the dead caller had once held to change his lot in this situation. Gradually, despite the violent attack, his form solidifies further and further before their very eyes,

Nr2ZCGw.png

until at long last, on the ground fighting vicious streams of unending holy light is not a mere shadow, but a being seemingly just as solid as Ecquis or Maya, even if it were a mere fleeting illusion.

e09vwl6.png

Then and only then, as this man has chunks of him torn away only to be replaced by veils of unnatural darkness that gives way to yet newer flesh in a seemingly never ending cycle of torment, does Maya finally step forward once more, voice striking with the force of thunder despite it's careful volume.

mhXPRS6.png

"Enough." and like clockwork, the Light of Divine Retribution disperses from his form, hovering away like a swarm of enraged bees and fading into the night one by one as the wisps flee. Before the man lies the tattered remnants of the Tome, the thing looking like it had been smothered in bacon grease and tossed into the nearest kennel. Pages and shredded parchment scattered the earth all around. Without a single word to the spectre, Maya finally returns her attention to Ecquis.

"You may have traveled far and wide, but I doubt you've ever seen a true phantom up close.

Ecquis, this... is my brother."

"Well. That's certainly something. And no, I've not come across any phantoms in my time. Though if this particular phantom is your brother..." Ecquis paused a bit, his hand on his chin pondering what he is seeing.

"I feel like there's a few things missing here regarding your brother and why he's a phantom. And about things that he's done. Care to tell?" Ecquis asked.

zQrEhuC.png

Meredith went bright red in a moment. She'd, never really been called pretty before. Well she had... but it wasn't really meant as a real compliment. Just a thinly veiled excuse to get at her. To try and get into her pants are worse. Men. Not all of them awful not even all amongst soldiers. But they weren't exactly a tactful bunch at the best of times. She tried to contain her feelings though. Not, show too much. "I... I... thank you." she blurted out. 

DVgGND7.pngSmooth move... doing a real bang up job here Mere.

Oh shut up...

She attempted to recover by just continuing. "I dunno about that. I'm not exactly the most ladylike out there. I'm sure a few think me mannish. Not that I care just I dunno."

lgw2lFV.png
Focus... you can do this. Get yourself together Meredith. It's just a conversation.

lkU2da6.png
"Anyway, as ta your question. It's a simple thing really. A silly thing. Perhaps one I'd get laughed at for. I wanted to be a hero. I wanted ta be something that mattered. I wanted to protect people, the downtrodden, those that couldn't stand up or themselves. I figured I could make a difference. I was a lot more naive then. Worst of all though... I got my wish. I became a hero. It wasn't what I wanted." she shifted back again, clearly was a bit weary from running at full speed with a passenger on board. "I might need to get out of this armour for a spell. It's not great for the respiration. We should continue this back in the the tent."

SXctXIi.png

"...he gave himself up trying to save me, but I'll think nor say nothing further about that foul day." The tone is just as curt and to the point as her answer, before he could even respond, she was already pressing forward to his other points "the how of his condition is irrelevant here. Only the what. Every person who's died while keeping my company since it happened, all the people struck down and slaughtered like pigs around me despite my efforts to save them, my mentor, my brothers in arms, my friends... all their untimely deaths, he is cause of it. The blame I placed on my own shoulders because of my survival, the hatred I've born against my own being because of it, the feeling of utter disgust whenever I looked at my reflection, all because I felt myself to be the only possible cause of their lives being cut short, he watched for years as I slowly began to destroy my own self from guilt that wasn't even rightfully mine, never once saying anything, never once giving a sign of his presence, just killing. Constantly killing. Using those around me as shields, manipulating the battlefield to deflect the blows that were meant for me unto good and noble folk who didn't deserve to die as mere pawns in a game of phantasmal chess.

Haven't you ever noticed why not a single enemy has ever targeted me, Ecquis? Why even when they've clear shots, when they're practically right next to me, they always choose another, regardless how much extra effort it takes to reach them or how much more of a risk it is to engage someone stronger? It's all. Because. Of him. Just as he exploited the lives of my friends and allies in the past to protect me, he's been doing the exact same to you all, ever since I was put into your group. But it stops now. Blood be damned, I'm not letting even one more good person bite it because of his sorcery... He told me everything on the battlefield today... while the rest of you were holding off those Nohrian Scum. And tonight, I end it, once and for all."

The phantom meanwhile, was silent as a church mouse, likely still dazed and shaken by the viscous might his sister had brought to bare...

"I see. That explains the mentions of that curse of yours. I can't imagine how something like that could affect you. On that note..." Ecquis pauses and looks towards the phantom of Maya's brother. "What do you have to say about this...Freyl if I recall? Did you ever consider how your actions affected Maya's state of mind. And more importantly, what would you have done if things got out of hand. Do you have an answer for this," Ecquis states in a rather flat tone, staring directly at Freyl.

73vYVhh.png

"...." An ornery glance was all the rider received from the ghost, before he turned his attention directly to Maya herself, sighing in defeat. It almost seemed as if he'd expected this type of outcome, from how easily he accepted his beating...

5CzwtjT.png

"I never meant to hurt you... never meant to put you through any of that. If I could've talked to you back then, tell you the truth sooner, I would've. Believe me, I would've. Watching you do that to yourself, over and over, forming that cycle in your head... I honestly wanted to tell you the first time I was strong enough to do it. But I didn't know how to break it to you, after so long, after fucking up so much and letting you pay for it..."

oEAvQIP.png

"What you said on the battlefield though... breaking it gently be damned, I couldn't let this mess go any further. If you went through with it... because of what I'd done... it would've defeated the point of everything up til now. Those people I had to use would've died for nothing. I owed it to both them and to you to just fucking say what needed to be said. So I did. And I'm sorry Maya. Sorry for the suffering, no matter what I intended at the time. Using them all to unwittingly keep you save, yeh, it wasn't right, wasn't noble, but it was the only avenue I had available with so little power... putting a thought into an enemy's head here, changing their perception a little to ignore you for someone else there... you were the only family I had left though. And I'd swore to ma that I'd look after you, do whatever it took, regardless who or what got in the way or came for us. She bound me to it, with her voice. Made me repeat exactly after her...and I did the best the could with what I had, after those Cloudfucking Pigs found us.

But me watching you suffer, fall apart, and not trying harder than I already was to figure out a way to tell you it wasn't your fault, explain everything upfront... that was unforgivable. And I'm even more sorry for that than anything else. I was so busy keeping her damn promise, I forgot about the one I made to you...that I would never leave you, that I would be there. I don't expect you to ever forgive me for that, and I'm not asking you to either, hell, I don't even forgive myself. I am sorry though."

Lgsqxt2.png

"This ain't how I wanted things to play out for you. None of it. Maybe if I'd been a bit less of tunnel-visioned ass, I could've found a different way, stop the whole decoy method, saved you all of it. I wished I had, sis. I wished I had. You could've stayed with The Greys if it wasn't for me... could've stayed with the Old Man. Hell, they probably would've done a better job than I ever did keeping you safe-"

88dOLAF.png

"Just stop."

73vYVhh.png

"I know I can't make shit right, can't bring any of them back or-"

c7f91Qj.png

"Just. Shut up... and stop."

Lgsqxt2.png

"..."

diBQwib.png

"That's all you have to do. That's all asking from you. I know that nothing can be fixed now. I know what's been lost. Just stop the madness. Stop killing the people who I've been trying to help and who've been helping me. I'm not the little girl you knew back then. I may not be able to fight, but I'm not alone, I was never alone, not in the Greys and not here... and I've learned more than enough to look out for myself. If you're sorry, then stop talking, and start doing. I won't accept anything you say, until you show that you mean it. Do you understand? Just. Stop."

omSr4Op.png

"...yeah. Yeah, I get you... man... you've become pretty scary for a priestess. But there's just one thing..."

SXctXIi.png

"If you won't stop...then know I'll have no choice but to call the Light back and destroy you. If it means ending this... I'll do what I must-"

oEAvQIP.png

"No, no, I don't mean anything like that, calm down sis... you don't understand. I can't do anything anymore. What you did, how you attacked them before you broke through and got to me... the Elder Spirits are scared shitless, won't carry out any order I give while you're around, or, more specifically, they won't so long as light that powerful exists where they can be harmed by it... and even if they would listen, the Tome is more or less ruined beyond what it already was. I've literally got nothing sis. striped, shunned, before all I could do to protect you was... all of that mess. But now, I couldn't even convince your little friend here to ignore you for a few seconds or walk away to go inspect something else if I even tried. I only had one signature trick maya. That trick's gone now. I've got no choice but to stop. And I don't wanna hurt you anymore than I already have. So this is it. I'm done...but she's still got me bound. But there is one last thing... try to satisfy the conditions..."

88dOLAF.png

"Freyl...what are you?"

e09vwl6.png

"I gotta do this maya. I know you can take care of yourself, but I can't just end it without making sure. It doesn't feel right. And you said it yourself, you're not alone, so... You there, Dragon boy." Given there was no one else there but the three of them, it was painfully obvious he could've meant no one other than ecquis "I may not know you that well, but I know you and my little sister here are friends... Protect her for me, alright? I can't do jack shit anymore, and honestly... that's probably for the best, given the pain I've caused her and the good folks I've had to put under before their time. All I can do know is keep watching. You've got the body, you've got the steel, you got the talent. I expect that if you really care about her like a friend should, you'll put them to use making sure she stays safe...and that's all I really want from you. Kill any violent morons that think they can take out the healer easiest... do we have a deal, man? Can you take over where I gotta leave off?"

As odd as it was, the phantom rose and actually outstretched his hand to the Rider. whether or not Ecquis would end up actually touching anything other than thin air if he accepted the request though, was anyone's guess

"If I didn't care about her, I wouldn't have bothered coming around here to see all of this. Of course I'll keep her safe,"Ecquis replies, reaching out to the outstretched ethereal hand. He then turned towards Maya. "That being said, I trust you'll look out for me as well. You've been a valuable asset to our group, and more importantly you've been willing to listen to my ramblings half the time. It's been a long time since I've had someone I could talk to like that. So in exchange for me keeping you safe, would it be too much to ask for you to continue staying nearby?" he asks Maya.

"That's okay, because I don't have even the slightest idea how to sew~" Klaren said as Rosalyva was inspecting the robe. "Oh, and by cool and mysterious scary hoodie I mean like...did you see how I blasted the enemies' commander in the last battle~? And how my robes flew around~? It was really cool and I wanna have a super duper perfect robe for the next time I get to do that. I was thinking we could add some golden linings to it so it sparkles and it's totally gotta go over my head so that the enemy can't see my face so that they super scared~ All the scary guys have hooded robes!"

wA2EFJ4.png

"Good man. Just so ya know though, you fail and she dies? I don't care how long it takes to find a new source of power, I'll hunt you down along with any descendants you might happen to spawn and make your whole damn bloodline suffer for it from that day on until the end of days..." It's hard to tell whether or not the rogue was merely jesting or had every intention of doing just that, what with the juxtaposition of his grin and the thinly veiled edge in his voice. After letting the declaration hang in the air for a moment though, he finally broke the tension with a chuckle of his own.

w6efUr1.png

"Heh, but hey, I'm sure that won't be an issue, you'll probably do fine. Can't screw up much worse than I did all these years, at least..." and with that, he was gone. Gone with the wind. Like always. 

With the ghost gone and his mechinations over, Maya finally turned back to Eqcuis...the air was wholly different from the virtual warzone it had created not long ago, where there had once been the strangling prescence of malice, now all the Rider would've felt was a subtle warmth. Specs of fleeting light watched from the distance all around, the satisfied baying of hounds echoing softly through the woods. 

Wistful Kindness

"Of course I will, Ecquis. It's my job to keep you lot alive and well after all, I've got no intention of stopping... especially after you helped me settle all of this. Though..." She sidled closer to the rider, resting her head against his shoulder as the soft illumination danced all around. The Light hunds practically went wild in approval, "just how close do you want me to stay?"

• Developers
15 hours ago, Adamance Ascendant said:

ZL7mt8W.png "Terrin? What are you doing?"

0c611388f4a844dd9358eaf6fc40e759.png

"What in the!?" The mage jumped back, startled as he heard a voice speak to him. Indeed, he had been so intensely focused on his regime that he hadn't been observing his surroundings at all. Alas, as he was these days for more used to the weight of his clothes than his armour, he misjudged his jump backwards and landed on the ground with a thud, sighing as he looked up and saw Hoshiko. "Oh, hey, sorry about that..." He murmured as he stood back up and smiled at the archer.

"I was training. Mage or not, a strong body can make even the most grievous of wounds seem like but a scratch, with the right techniques." He said, before glancing over at the half lance lodged into a tree a ways away, and the charred ground from where his spell had hit to the side of it. "Not that that matters much if the spirits won't even strike where I need them to." He added with a slight grumble, before walking past Hoshiko a little to pick his usual clothes up from where he had neatly folded them on the ground.

"If you'll allow it, I'd like to be very close to you," Ecquis says, taking Maya into an embrace. "I wouldn't mind being there for you when you need someone, nor would I mind you being there for me when I need someone. I've already lived a life of loneliness, and I don't particularly care to return to it. So if you'll allow it...lets take care of each other."

oXVm8Zn.png

"Well, you don't have to go back to that life. Whatever happens, I promise I'm not going to leave you." she didn't fight the embrace, nor did the bestial light display stop it's eager howls, nor the  countless snow white wisps their own display of dancing fervor. Honestly, this was probably about as slack a leash she had ever given the entity, and it was clearly going to relish every bit of unbridled freedom it had... because it sure as hell was going to be a long time before it saw such a bounty of it again.

"No matter how you're feeling, just remember that you're not alone."

Luka_Inner_Serious.png

Of course he wouldn’t know. Shoulda guessed as much. Letting out a sigh, Luka realized that he was no further in figuring out what happened to them. Wherever they were, didn’t seem like he’d get an answer from Keagan. “Well, thanks for helping me, I guess.”

Looking at his conversation partner’s face, Luka saw that usual frown on his face. Monotone and serious. Dang, he looks like he just watched some amateur playwright’s latest debacle. Looking at it struck a weird tone in him. Deciding to give the feeling a chance, Luka mentally shrugged his shoulders.

Luka_Talking.png

“What’s up with you, though?” Luka put his hand onto one of the tent poles. “You always got that mopey frown on your face all the time. You ever smile once in awhile? It isn’t exactly that hard.” Hey, I bet you could look cheerier than some of our other friends here.

Luka_Happy.png

“Maybe something's on your mind?”  Luka put on a smile, trying to be uplifting enough to get something from the man.

"Heh, I recall saying something similar to you. No matter, it still makes me happy," Ecquis says. Ecquis then hears a bit of rustling, then notices that Morgan was present in the trees. It appeared that she had followed the pair into the forest. It would be Morgan if anyone, Ecquis thought to himself. "Well it looks like Morgan decided to follow us here. I can't say I'm too surprised. At any rate, seeing as how she's come all this way, care for another flight?"

NTT0BKU.png

"Mopey... Face? I don't think I understand." His expression turned confused with a shade of discomfort. It's as if it was the first time anyone asked him that question; an it was. Keagan had never taken notice that his default mode was grumpy and serious. "I smile plenty, just give me a reason to smile. And there are many things on my mind; we are fighting a war and I need to protect Saffron. Feri is precious too, and I wouldn't want Rosalyva or any of you to get hurt. Does that... Answer your question?" 

Hoshiko pursed her lips for a moment. It seemed that her fellow ally of justice was having troubles with his efficacy in battle. How could she resolve this. . .

ZL7mt8W.png "Terrin, I have a suggestion that might assist you in your pursuit of self-improvement in the ways of justice. You say you have issues hitting your targets. . . have you considered that the spirits are dissatisfied with your poses?"