Gym battles are way harder then they should be

zancrow

All gym leader have 6 pokemon which are all so close to the level cap for the current badge that you can't possibly grind to beat them unless you want a pokemon to go over the level cap. not to mention that you seemingly gave them full evs in their most valuable stats and quite a few pokemon for the gym leaders have their hidden ability which tends to make shit pokemon incredibly strong. also the fuck is with the items, kings rock on a skill link cinccino Seriously who thought that was a good idea, more importantly who thought that would be fun to face. just needed to get that off my chest

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The point of Reborn is to make the battles challenging. I get that for some of us, who doesn't play for the battling (including myself), it's hard, but none of the battles are impossible. Challenging, but not impossible. You just gotta come up with a strategy to counter the opponent.

And the idea for making gym battles harder comes from the fact that the newest games are way too easy because they do only have three or less Pokémon. For the older players, this is nothing fun for them. Reborn, however, gives them the challenge they have been craving.

Edited by Lilleen

I actually prefer the Gym Leaders being tough. They are supposed to be stepping stones in your journey, milestones that you have to overcome. Them just being pushed aside like I heard they are in the main series games? Yeah, makes no sense how someone like that got to keep their position.

Plus, the leaders being close to the level cap means you can't just level grind and brute force them. You actually have to adapt and use strategy, which I like.

Edited by Anstane

To be honest I was also struggling with the gym leaders.But I'm grateful that Reborn exists.It taught me how to be prepared for every battle,be it a boss battle or gym fight.Also don't keep your door closed to any pokemon you don't use because there are many that competitively suck but in this game can be very usefull.

I've always liked the aspect that Reborn and some other fangames have followed with the gym leaders and boss fights. Being an older player myself, I can agree that the newer games don't give the same feel for gyms as they used to. Realistically, gyms are supposed to challenge your knowledge and understanding of the type you are facing. While some types are not as strong as others, one can still come up with a good strategy for the leader to execute despite that. For example, we know Grass is not one of the strongest types, but I felt Ame did a good job for Grass being the second gym and gave it an interesting theme. The field effects that were eventually added give gym battles even more depth for the leaders, but that doesn't mean that you can't have a Pokemon that can take advantage of that field itself.

The gym leaders have been nerfed/changed over time, which have made some battles easier. However, it's still better than what we get from the main games.

You can lower your pokemon's levels with common candies, so it isnt actually necessary to always keep an eye on the levels, if they go over you can just lower them back down.

Edited by Swampellow

yeah i think all of it is bullshit because i dont play for the battles

i gather shinies and go through the story but the harder the battles get the less i want to play

with regular pokemon games i never start putting things in stats until i finished the storyline because its always that after the story things like the battle maison become available

if i could mod reborn to either have easier gym battles or just remove the entire level cap id do it ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

cause i really dont dig having to train stats and breed pokemon in the middle of everything just because its impossible to play this without shit i could use for competitive tours

Gym battles are among the best things of this game in my opinion.

They are hard, yep, but this is a good thing we just can't run the game like we do for main games. You have to think about strategies and capture a lot of different pokemon to counter the leader and the field effects.

Indeed this could take some time, but we have time, this game is not going to be fully done for years so this is not a problem. Items for EV training are available quite soon and you have a lot of options to exp your pokemon quickly enough.

It's great to have challenge during the whole game, not just post E4, imo.

"Gym battles are way harder then they should be"

No they aren't. You just need to improve. c:

The level cap is hardly an issue. I've never gone over it in my entire run.

Right now my level cap is 80, and none of my Pokémon are over Level 68. Most of them are around 65.

All gym leader have 6 pokemon which are all so close to the level cap for the current badge that you can't possibly grind to beat them unless you want a pokemon to go over the level cap. not to mention that you seemingly gave them full evs in their most valuable stats and quite a few pokemon for the gym leaders have their hidden ability which tends to make shit pokemon incredibly strong. also the fuck is with the items, kings rock on a skill link cinccino Seriously who thought that was a good idea, more importantly who thought that would be fun to face. just needed to get that off my chest

All these flavours, and you chose to be salty.

the gym battles are easy though. the ai isn't that good u can literally just level to the limit and u smash them as long as you have mons that can accommodate the type ur facing.

Edited by RudeStyle

In my first run of Reborn, I was still a noob that was just starting to avoid teaching physical moves to a special attacker, yet I managed to finish the last available episode. Hardly (damn, that battle with El !), but I did it. Now I can do the game with the hardcore mod with only dragon types in my team, so just a Deino as a starter and for a long time just that Deino, a Noibat and an Axew to beat improved gym leaders. The leaders are hard when you're a beginner, but not "too" hard,. See it as a good opportunity to get better ;)

the gym battles are easy though. the ai isn't that good u can literally just level to the limit and u smash them as long as you have mons that can accommodate the type ur facing.

I've run through all of the Gym Leaders with 1 team of 6 mons. Reborn is known for its difficulty. It wouldn't be fun to just destroy Gym after Gym with a Leader with 3 mons each.

+1. I have never used more than 5-6 pokemon through a run. you need to manage your typings and strategies

My advice is level multiple pokemon for rotation.
Even with themed playthroughs that limit the pokemon I can use, I level up at least 12 different pokemon that provide synergy for each other.

That method requires grinding...but it's worth it when you have so many fun choices to play with throughout the game.

No, actually they are nerfed compared to previous episodes. To the point that a good part of the community is a bit disappointed.

Hardcore pays a lot of homeage to the original Pokemon Reborn game with Episode VII Aya being the standard tier difficulty for Reborn leaders. Though the nerfs just balance things off making fights a little bit easier, but due to replaying Reborn that general thinking is kind of stretched really far. It's really not that much less difficult but mostly removed the insanely hard hitters or nerfed them in some way.

You can lower your pokemon's levels with common candies, so it isnt actually necessary to always keep an eye on the levels, if they go over you can just lower them back down.

.Surprisingly the game is intended to fight leaders 3-5 levels under the cap, unlike hardcore which is supposed to be fought at the cap, so levels should never be a problem. Even my first playthrough (which did not have common candies at the time) I only ever had one overleveled mon if I was struggling on a leader other than Aya which is another demon entirely due to trying to evolve stuff.

i gather shinies and go through the story but the harder the battles get the less i want to play

with regular pokemon games i never start putting things in stats until i finished the storyline because its always that after the story things like the battle maison become available

if i could mod reborn to either have easier gym battles or just remove the entire level cap id do it ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

cause i really dont dig having to train stats and breed pokemon in the middle of everything just because its impossible to play this without shit i could use for competitive tours

Removing the entirety of the level cap system is so easy compared to stopping a Pokemon from leveling up which is what I did. You could even link it very easily to an easy mode for the game. I've considered making one for people who want to enjoy the story but that probably should be saved for 19 since I don't think there's a big enough group for a game pretty much started up with a reputation of a brutally hard Pokemon game (now not as big of a deal).

The only pokemon that is really close to the level cap is their ace which usually is at it with the lowest being roughly 3 below the ace which is a rare case. Most gym leaders until around like the last one in the current episode will be 5-8 levels below the cap such as the first one, Julia. The EV spreads only happen for their last pokemon from Serra all the way to Charlotte where only gym leaders have all their mons fully ev spread. IMO, that makes them weaker than stronger but that's just me. Noel is frustrating which is why he was nerfed like a few leaders before him (and like a couple afterwards too). Still the BS level is nothing compared to V8 Serra. Goggle Shofu Serra and nothing ever hit that level again.

The problem here is that you're treating this like a regular Pokemon game which it's not. Reborn hits a difficulty level that players have to start using strategies instead of a LOL! Super effective move spam and item spam for auto win. It's a bit hard the first go around since you don't know what to expect, but Reborn is about as hard as a typical RPG or FF game if not easier. But yeah, we all get fraustrated at that one leader the first go around, but admittedly it's fun to get frustrated.

Then I guess it's a good thing that the battles keep getting easier ¯\_(ツ)_/¯