Week 8 Matchups - Super Single STAB Spectacular

Deleted User

CaelgNx.png

In this weeks challenge every pokemon is allowed to use any one move of its type(s). For Example, Metagross can use any one Psychic and any one Steel type move. But, they are allowed ONLY one of each of that type of move.

1. Doom Desire (Any Steel Type Move)

2. Calm Mind (Any Psychic Type Move)

3. Legally Learned Move (Not Steel or Psychic Type)

4. Legally Learned Move (Not Steel or Psychic Type)

A pokemon is permitted to use any ONE move of it's type, per type. If a pokemon is a single type, it can use any one of that one type of move and 3 legally learned moves that are NOT it's type.

Challenges will be made in the STABmons tier, found under Other Metas

The matchups will be as follows:

(5-3) Kingdom of Avalon Phantom Vulcan (2-6)

(3 - 4) (OU)

Secundum vsDJWongTong

Jericho vsSonata

Ame_Rosa vsYinYang

DavidPWNS vsAvatar of Grima

Mr. LGFD vsImperial

Nhadala vsmar_mar

Arkhidon vsExLink32

Replacements:

Kingdom of Avalon: Dhanush, Secundum, Spineblade -- Phantom Vulcan: ExLink, 2tousent, Novaknight

(3-5) The Ravenholts Amazon Nation (6-2)

(1 - 6) (UU)

IntSys vs Sparky

Odybld vs Pyrrhon

Cobalt996 vs 420 HYCROX

Chubb vs Bazaro

YoshiOfRedemption vs Bluewolf

Jacobliterator vs Swampellow

AuthorReborn vs Honchy

Replacements:

The Ravenholts: Kaito, Red_Chaos, Trevore -- Amazon Nation: Quinn, Zumi, AndSoThereIsSt3ffo

(5-3) Nation of Atlantis Gaia Nation (3-5)

(5 - 2) (RU)

FraRPetO vs Dark Desire

Xiri vs Roswell

Sonikku vs Monochrome_Complex

Cyanna Cyril vs DW

99 Losses vs Shadow Tack

RudeStyle vs Sheep

Sinikuro vs TarTar

Replacements:

Nation of Atlantis: personthing, Ace_Trainer_Vince, Inno -- Gaia Nation: Pbood2, Vex, Marcello

DISCLAIMERS:

*Thanks Zumi for awesome logo!

Have Questions? Please leave them in green below and we'll answer them to the best of our abilities.

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What format do we choose to do battles? I ask this, since the previous challenges had been within the possibility of the normal meta games, while this challenge requires use of normally illegal moves, and would require a format other than OU, UU, etc.

Also, are any moves, such as the obvious answer of Geomancy, banned? If so, what are they?

Edited by InnocentBoy

What format do we choose to do battles? I ask this, since the previous challenges had been within the possibility of the normal meta games, while this challenge requires use of normally illegal moves, and would require a format other than OU, UU, etc.

I would assume you play in the STABmons tier.

Strange thing is, the teambuilder validation for STABmons disallows Dark Void from being used, yet lets Spore be used.

Personally I would play on Custom Game / Balanced Hackmons.

Why is Amazon's font so smol?

No serious question, sadly, since tentative banned moves has already been raised. Perhaps Mega mechanics (type-change kind), then? Nope, mentioned.

EDIT:

What is the ruling on unreleased moves? (Light of Ruin, Thousand Arrows/Waves)

Edited by Cobalt996

Does Flying Press count as a Fighting move (as it is first a Fighting-type move, so Ghosts are still immune) in this instance?

Flying Press is listed as fighting and will count as fighting. We decided Hidden Power this week can be the type that you make it.

Are move that would break smogon clauses still banned or are they allowed if they are the same type of the user ? Like evasion moves

We'll be playing under standard STABmons tier.

http://www.smogon.com/forums/threads/stabmons.3547279/

Relevant bans from the tier itself for this week: (Note, these moves that are not permitted can still be used by Pokemon who learn them naturally and they are still allowed in such cases.)

[items] Aerodactylite, King's Rock, [Moves] Belly Drum, Chatter, Dark Void, Geomancy, Lovely Kiss, Shell Smash, Shift Gear, Sketch

Also, are any moves, such as the obvious answer of Geomancy, banned? If so, what are they?

See answer(s) above.

What about Judgement and Techno Blast? Are only normal types available to use them and can we change their typing with a Plate or Drive?

These will be limited to being normal moves as they're essentially much stronger versions of Hidden Power.

What is the ruling on unreleased moves? (Light of Ruin, Thousand Arrows/Waves)

Not permitted.

Oh as for the Mega Pokemon, they can use STAB moves of their original typings.

I know its been said that a Pokemon can use any one STAB move with its types prior to mega evolving, but is the opposite true as well? Can a Pokemon use any one STAB move from a type it gains from mega evolving?

Since a pokemon can use only 1 STAB move (or 2 if it's dual) regardless if that is a status or attacking move, why don't we unban the set up moves? I mean, if someone wants to give Geomancy to his Slurpuff that means he can't use Moonblast. So I don't see the reason to keep them ban since you are giving up on an attacking STAB.

Just a though, not that if the moves stay banned is a bad thing...

Since a pokemon can use only 1 STAB move (or 2 if it's dual) regardless if that is a status or attacking move, why don't we unban the set up moves? I mean, if someone wants to give Geomancy to his Slurpuff that means he can't use Moonblast. So I don't see the reason to keep them ban since you are giving up on an attacking STAB.

Just a though, not that if the moves stay banned is a bad thing...

The moves are banned via the STABmons tier, so even if the moves were unbanned for the challenge they would not be able to be used.

The moves are banned via the STABmons tier, so even if the moves were unbanned for the challenge they would not be able to be used.

I see! I misread Jeri's post and though those were ADDED to the already existing rules of the tier,

Relevant bans from the tier itself for this week: (Note, these moves that are not permitted can still be used by Pokemon who learn them naturally and they are still allowed in such cases.)

Not permitted.

RIP my entire team of shell smash/thousand arrows users. I knew it was too good to be true.

Both Geomancy AND Shell smash are banned?

It's confirmed, Jericho hates fun.

This functions on STABmons' rules. And come on, Power Herb + Geomancy on all fairies would just be a turn 1 win button lol.

Edited by Personthing

I see a dark void, shift gear and chatter ban, not to mention Gaia isn't the only nation that gets access to ez geomancy and win strats. Please, at least acknowledge that everyone gets nerfed and not just yourself >>

This functions on STABmons' rules. And come on, Power Herb + Geomancy on all fairies would just be a turn 1 win button lol.

Not that much if you consider that they lose an attacking STAB and the fairies in RU and under are not that fast or bulky to abuse it at full!

But ofc dual fairies in higher tiers, like Whimsi, are a thing...

Also, I don't like to complain, but the Steam Eruption spam looks more broken than Geomancy or Shell Smash. But maybe that's just me...

Also, I don't like to complain, but the Steam Eruption spam looks more broken than Geomancy or Shell Smash. But maybe that's just me...

No way in hell. Shell smash Meloetta with a life orb and stored power? That thing hits the same power as boomburst after one shell smash and then proceeds to 6-0 their entire team. Geomancy's not such a big deal 'cause there aren't many fairy types that can use it and still have a STAB attack, but shell smash is utterly broken.

No way in hell. Shell smash Meloetta with a life orb and stored power? That thing hits the same power as boomburst after one shell smash and then proceeds to 6-0 their entire team. Geomancy's not such a big deal 'cause there aren't many fairy types that can use it and still have a STAB attack, but shell smash is utterly broken.

True! Maybe I shouldn't consider Shell Smash is the same as Geomancy...

Who needs bans when GF does the job itself and makes Hyperspace Fury fail if not used by Hoopa-U :(

They really did a great job making it a 'signature move'!!! #not

Why is gaia nerfed every challenge?

We lose Dark Void, but our opponents keeps Spore. Got questions about why you got nerfed, ask Eevee General on Smogon, or read the tier thread Jeri linked. To quote the tier resources:

"Council: None, I [Eevee General] run it with community input."

EDIT:

Consider Prankster Power Herb Geomancy Whimsicott, for a thought on why Geo is banned.

Edited by Cobalt996