What should never be a Pokemon

We know that Game Freak has created really awesome Pokemon that are not just animals. We got Golet and Golurk, from the ancient golems. The Magnemite/Mageton/Magnezone are all based on magnets. Pretty cool, pretty awesome.

But there are some things that became Pokemon that should never have become Pokemon. Vanilite, Vanilish, and Vaniluxe are probably the weirdest Pokemon that should have no reason to exist. Even by evolutionary standards, an animal would not camouflage themselves to look like something easily eaten.

There are others that I think we are all aware of, but with the seventh generation around the corner, what things should the creators of Pokemon look the other way? What should never become a Pokemon?

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

We have home appliances and key rings as pokemon, and they've managed to make me like both to some extent. So if that's possible, then nothing can surprise me anymore. I don't think the important part about a pokemon is its concept, but rather how well the concept is executed. So basically anything could be a pokemon imo, as long as enough work and heart goes into its design and lore to justify everything being a pokemon in the first place. If you make a keyring or ice cream because you believe in a keyring or ice cream pokemon and do it well, I'll like it. If you make a keyring or ice cream because you're running out of ideas and need 1 more for your dex, it will show and I probably won't care for it. I don't think there's more to it.

Some people will probably say that there are things gamefreak would never turn into actual pokemon for one reason or another, and they're probably right, but as far as creating pokemon goes, be them canon or fakemon, I think all can be done well and end up as a likeable design.

Although, I think I could agree with ICSW here, that a literal human pokemon could be rather....unsettling, to have. Mr Mime is one thing but a pokemon whose species is "human" would be just weird. The weirdest and most uncanny pokemon I've seen is a fakemon from pokemon vega called otakun, which is a poison type otaku wearing a cape. It is basically a bald white humanoid with the ability stench. You tell me if that isn't unsettling to some extent.

Does adding more electric rodents count? Because if so, I've already lost that battle...

Eh, at least Gen. 7 shows they're learning. Togedemaru has a good defensive typing and good abilities, so I guess it's gonna be fine...

As for me, I just hope they never make pretty much any of the Pokemon that are going to be in Pokemon Clover (a Pokemon fan-game made by 4-chan). You can see them here (second list, not the first; the first is actually pretty cool).

The only concept I can think of off the top of my head I'd be absolutely against is an actual human Pokemon.

I'm fine with human shaped ones like the Hitmons, Mr. Mime, etc. But an actual human Pokemon just sounds weird.

Agreed. I'm already struggling with human shaped Pokémon like Sawk.

There isn't really any concept I absolutly don't want to see. I just hope they stop putting cloths on Pokémon. It looks stupid.

Eh, at least Gen. 7 shows they're learning. Togedemaru has a good defensive typing and good abilities, so I guess it's gonna be fine...

As for me, I just hope they never make pretty much any of the Pokemon that are going to be in Pokemon Clover (a Pokemon fan-game made by 4-chan). You can see them here (second list, not the first; the first is actually pretty cool).

oh .. damn ... Pokemon Clover's designs make me reminiscence my traumatic Pokemon Quartz experience...

Pokemon Sage has a good amount of abominations too, but some of its designs are actually better than some official pokemon.

I'm sorry but your assertion that vanllite line shouldn't exist is downright asinine.

Pokemon are NOT animals. They do not work on the same biology and do not operate in the same way. Yes there are animal like pokemon, but they're called Pocket monsters and not pocket animals for a reason. Monsters in every culture around the world take on many a form, so really there's very little limit as to what a pokemon "should"be. in Japanese mythology especially there's a whole plethora of monsters with unusual forms, such as one legged hopping umbrellas and evil sandals for example.Remember that pokemon is a Japanese series, so while for people outside Japan it may seem weird it's actually pretty old thing there to have object-themed monsters. I feel that as long as they can make it feel believable within the context of the pokemon world, a pokemon's design basis can be pretty much anything.

Another thing about Vanillite is that in the pokemon world it's ice cream that was based around it, not the other way around(though obviously it's based off ice cream IRL), so it technically didn't "evolve" into something that resembles food. Plus Vanillite isn't made of ice cream literally, it's a little ice elemental with snow on top that's stylized to resemble it. I don't get why people think so lowly of Vanillite(and worse call it unoriginal, despite it being more original than fan favorite Tyrantrum whose simply a literal interpretation of a T-rex and while a good design is pretty shallow and straightforward) when it actually does a pretty good job of making its basis work within context of the game's world.

Things like Condoom have been haunting my dreams for months now.

I think most things can become Pokemon, as long as it's nothing too ridiculous or... Arceus forbid, lewd and down right vile. Condoom should never happen in an official game, and most likely won't. Like 99% sure. But the day it does I'm out.

I'm sorry but your assertion that vanllite line shouldn't exist is downright asinine.

Pokemon are NOT animals. They do not work on the same biology and do not operate in the same way. Yes there are animal like pokemon, but they're called Pocket monsters and not pocket animals for a reason. Monsters in every culture around the world take on many a form, so really there's very little limit as to what a pokemon "should"be. in Japanese mythology especially there's a whole plethora of monsters with unusual forms, such as one legged hopping umbrellas and evil sandals for example.Remember that pokemon is a Japanese series, so while for people outside Japan it may seem weird it's actually pretty old thing there to have object-themed monsters. I feel that as long as they can make it feel believable within the context of the pokemon world, a pokemon's design basis can be pretty much anything.

Another thing about Vanillite is that in the pokemon world it's ice cream that was based around it, not the other way around(though obviously it's based off ice cream IRL), so it technically didn't "evolve" into something that resembles food. Plus Vanillite isn't made of ice cream literally, it's a little ice elemental with snow on top that's stylized to resemble it. I don't get why people think so lowly of Vanillite(and worse call it unoriginal, despite it being more original than fan favorite Tyrantrum whose simply a literal interpretation of a T-rex and while a good design is pretty shallow and straightforward) when it actually does a pretty good job of making its basis work within context of the game's world.

The one thing that bothers me about Vanilluxe specifically is the straw in its head. I just strongly wish they chopped the straw off and let it be an ice elemental without looking so blatantly like a frosty.

My standards might be low, but I think Pokemon can hold off on the obscene (I.e. feminine products, condoms)

....other than that, there's probably been an idea of a Pokemon somewhat close to it.

Probably abstract concepts will never make it into a pokemon, since it's, well, abstract.

Then again, Darkrai was based on nightmares, so I wouldn't be too surprised if they break THAT boundary.

I'm not a fan of distinctly humanshape Pokemon (anthropomorphic, sure. more or less human, no), such as Hitmonchan/top + Tyrouge, Throh/Sawk, Meloetta, and to an extent Abra line, Mew/two, and Gothita line.

Hitmonlee gets a by, just because it looks like a guy wearing a paper bag that has slinkies for legs.

Additionally, anything overly mundane, and left mundane. Keychain? Mundane. Fairy/Steel with Imposter and a crapton of status moves? Not mundane. Pokeball? Mundane. Pokeball that shoots electricity and explodes? Still mundane.

Toilet paper?

If they made that, it had better have a habit of spreading itself on trees at night.