Pirate-themed team

Razkar

Hi guys !

I'm planning on starting a new file when E16 will be release and I was thinking about a pirate-themed run.

I would like your opinion about what pokemons can fit the best into this team. For now I think about:

Infernape

Chatot

Gyarardos / Tentakruel

I would like some suggestions ^^

Sharpedo is sorta mandatory in that aspect. It's called the Bully of the Sea and Team Aqua (which to a debatable extent are pirates) has a leader that uses it as an ace.

If we're going with swords, I suppose you could go with Marowak as well.

Can play off ships having cannons. Blastoise, Foretress, Octillery and such could work.

Pirates are sometimes associated with monkeys, so Primeape and the elemental monkeys could be considered.

Pirates are sometimes seen as being incredibly acrobatic since they swing through their sails and stuff; maybe consider things like Grovyle and Meinshao

It's not surprising that a large number of menacing water types will be pirate-y.

For the purpose of consensus: Gyarados, Sharpedo, Tentacruel(?), Blastoise, Octillery can all be part of the sea monster/arsenal aspect. Wailord and Avalugg can be your ships!

Things like Kingdra, Gardevoir and Milotic can also add a touch of romance to the aspect, because many a pirate/privateer was known to go in for that sort of thing *clears throat primly*

Obvious fire types include Infernape, Houndoom and maybe even Chandelure (some of those pirate ships had fancy lights). Ambipom is also a simian candidate.

A large number of fighting, flying and dark types are also plausible: Chatot being very obvious, but also Staraptor, Honchkrow, Pelipper, Primeape, Scrafty, Malamar, etc.

Not all pirates were barbaric or crude. Serperior, Mienshao, Empoleon and Gallade can be the refined, somewhat Frenchified pirates, if you want them to be. (and Serp gets you a free Boa Hancock reference.)

A collection of things, like Luxray, Krookodile, Bisharp, Barbaracle/Kabutops, Weavile and Haracross can also go okay enough with the theme, but more importantly they add a good type diversity.

All the best, and may the wind rise under your sails!

Well depending on what is released in ep 16 klefki and honedge could be considered, honedge for being a sword and klefki for being the key to your chest.
Also Tropius or Torterra could be used since the cliche that a treasure is buried in some abandonned tropical island.
Spinda could be used to represent a drunk member of your crew.

Sableye could be used to represent cursed treasure.

Edited by FairFamily

Maybe Malamar (if that's even available i ahve no clue) but it's kind of a squid/octo thingy resembling krakens and stuff which i guess are kinda related with pirates
(first thing that comes to mind is Davey Jones summoning that Kraken)

I think your best six-man pirate team is as follows:

Chatot

Infernape

Malamar

Torterra

Tentacruel (take your pick)

Eelektross

You can have a tremendous selection of backup Mons as well, ranging from Gyarados and Sharpedo to Gallade and Aegislash, depending on your interpretation of the term "pirate." The big problem you have with the above team is, per Epsiode 15, I don't think you can get either Infernape or Torterra outside of your starter, so that would need to be modified.

At this point we're repeating earlier suggestions. Lesnaught be Copycats, hm? The Prankster in us shouldn't be Justified, so we Besnaught tread on a beaten path!

To add to my older list, it occurred to me that Garchomp is a pretty savage pirate: the apex predator that chomps the booty on land, air and sea! It's also arguably the most murderous Pokémon in Reborn, since two villains (if you count Terra as well) have 'em. Maybe ep16 will give us a Gible?

Until then, Jellicent and Dragalge are honourable mentions, because they're both said to sink ships. Dragalge in particular is a good addition to your team: sturdy and bulky, extremely powerful with Adaptability Sludge Wave and Dragon Pulse, and even has utility in Surf without being a water type.

I don't know if I'm the only one that sees it this way, but Driftblim as a flying ship of some kind. It's kind of reaching pretty far, but a flying pirate ship is pretty cool =P.

I know if I was a pirate pokemon trainer, I would totally have a sableye, it's a sinister and funny trickster, and has a connection to gem stones (treasure).

Edited by deadpool848

Well for starters, Chatot & Garchomp are basically musts, not sure how you're gonna get someone to cheat the latter in your game though. Tentacruel seems like a great 'kraken' and Primeape is basically a monkey and I think I've seen monkeys somehow related to pirates..

Also to help diversify your team from mostly water type that have 'cannons', I suggest you take a different path in Magmortar :3.

On a more unrelated note Gallade has a sword, sort of?

Also I really like the idea Sableye as someone above mentioned.