Oldest pokemon

Genesis

So apart from Fossil pokemon and Legendaries, what other pokemon would be considered ancient?

Edit, went through the topic and added all the pokemon to one post: (reasons are found in the topic)

Rhyhorn/ Rhydon/Rhyperior

Golett/ Golurk

Onix/ Steelix

All dragons basically

Lunatone and Solrock

Gyardos

Talonflame

Magnemite/ Mangeton/ Magnezone

Pawniard/ Bisharp

Weaville

Abomasnow

Aggron

Doublade/ Honedge

Clefaireis/ Wigglytuff/ Audino (moon pokemon)

Torkoal

baltoy/ Claydol

Sigilyph

Lucario

Tentacool/ Tentacruel

Jellycent/ Fillish

Solosis line

Carvanha Sharpedo

Bronzor/ Bronzong

Larvitar/ Pupitar// Tyranitar

Shellos/ gastrodon

Carbink

Stary/ Starmie

Shellder/ Cloyster

All pokemon who learn ancient power:

Tangela, Togepi, Yanma, Dunsparce, Slugma, Piloswine, Corsola, Baltoy, Keckleon, Relicanth, Binacle, Carbink

Edited by Genesis

Relicanth...?

While not a fossil, it is funny enough classified as a fossil pokemon.

I am trying to go through pokedex entries that identify ancient pokemon and so far have only come up with the following:

Elgyem

Lunatone and Solrock

Staryu

Baltoy

Sigilyph

Yamask

Swinub

So all in all. Not many.

Shellder is pretty old.

I'm pretty sure some dex entries mentioned that the Omanytes/ Omastars ate shellder's when they were not fossils.

I just read about shellder now you are right

Natu and Xatu

Yanma and Tangela. there's a reason they need ancient power to evolve

Unown

Nincada? They seem pretty old

Golett and Golurk

That's about all I can think of at the moment

I don't quite agree on Natu/ Xatu since their dex entries mention them being with people and that they can see the past, not that they are a part of the past. Why do you reckon they are sper old?

Also only thing I could find on Nincada was that they can live underground for 10 years, nothing quite about being pre historic or ancient

Agree on all the others though since their dex entries back it up

Reshiram and Zekrom

Lol, but these are legendaries. basically all legendaries are ancient.

I would like to add some research I found.

Apparently Larvitar is ancient as they were formed from the oldest mountains which fuels their hunger to eat mountains and their name (Tyranitar) is supposed to be a descendant of the T Rex or Tyrantrum

There's also Carbink who's dex entry says its from millions of years ago

Gastrodon who says its from a long time ago and it shell evolved but strands are still in DNA

Sigilyph, Baltoy and Yamask are considered ancient pokemon as well

Staryu, Lunatone, Solrock and Elgyem are considered extra terrestrial and therefore age is indeterminate, though space travel takes millions of years

Also the single type dragons are supposed to be ancient as well - dratini, bagon, axew, druddigon, goomy since dragon was always regarded as the oldest type in pokemon from season 1.

Finally Arcanine - Considered a legendary (false) according to Chinese in the pokedex

Also only thing I could find on Nincada was that they can live underground for 10 years, nothing quite about being pre historic or ancient

Just because of the fact that it seems so versatile, and that when it evolves, Shedinja seems to be able to live forever in the right circumstances with Wonder Guard. Most bugs seem to have been around for ages, just like in real life. Just a thought though.

well from my logic the oldest sets of pokemon should be either from the deep sea origins (deep sea= dont evolve= old), the guys that are from the mountain areas that in a shape of a sea creature ( must have been related) or the "ancient" form of those guys evolving via ancient power ( they return to the form they used to be at ancient times), and the last is those guys that dont evolve but knows ancient power ( they always like that since ancient times)

If we assume that all pokemon able to learn AncientPower have lived since ancient times, the list without legendaries and fossils is as follows:

Tangela

Togepi

Yanma

Dunsparce

Slugma

Piloswine

Corsola

Baltoy

Kecleon

Relicanth

Binacle

Carbink

And I believe that covers most of them.

In cases of extra terrestrials, we have no idea how old they are. They could be from close planets that are no longer inhabited.

Well saying a pokemon is "old" isn't really enough, oldest is one that would probably depend on what you believe (Arceus/Mew debacle).

Then saying something like Golett or Yamask could be "old" per say, but still not as old as pokemon that did not live side by side with humans.

Some really interesting theories and yes, I should be more clear on old.

Ideally I would term old as pre history/ Ancient. So everything from Arceus/ Mew to primative/ ancient man

I am actually intrigued by the ancient power theory since a few of the pokemon listed I can't even imagine being around then, but then again, It is hard to imagine a pokemon world if you aren't the creator..

I'm not sure why but there's something about Clafairies and their line that seems ancient, I always thought their strong connection to the moon meant they were created around the same time as it which would make them very old. Another thing would be metronome, in Generation One they were the only Pokemon able to learn it by level up besides Mew while Move Tutors and TMs could teach a few others. That connection to Mew always made me wonder too.

I'm not sure why but there's something about Clafairies and their line that seems ancient, I always thought their strong connection to the moon meant they were created around the same time as it which would make them very old. Another thing would be metronome, in Generation One they were the only Pokemon able to learn it by level up besides Mew while Move Tutors and TMs could teach a few others. That connection to Mew always made me wonder too.

This may be worth looking into. Perhaps they should be classified under extra terrestrial pokemon. Since according to the original red games they arrived on a space ship.

*Reading up intensifies*

I've read somewhere that Torkoals are pretty ancient dudes, but then again, I think this age only takes up back to the early kingdoms of the pokemon world, not actual pre-human pokemon world. Pretty old tortoises tho.

All alien pokemon are ancient as fuck as far as records go. Solrock, Lunatone, the Clefairy line, Beheeyem, Deoxys, and maybe even Starmies, these things came from space, and space is big, and if light takes years to travel from one place to the other, these living things that fell to the pokemon world can be assumed to have had been out there for quite a long, long time. Clefairys are known to ride UFOs in the anime, same for beheeyem, which might indicate they can travel fast, but still, things like solrock, which is literally just a living rock floating around, how long from the moment it gets in orbit to the moment it falls to earth?

Fossil pokemon are also pretty damn ancient. If the periods of the pokemon world can be assumd the same as ours, the most ancient fossil pokemon to date have to be anorith/armaldo, followed by (or in pair with) kabuto/kabutops. Lileep/Cradily and Omanyte/Omastar come after, followed by Aerodactyl, Rampardos, Bastiodon, Aurorus and Tyrantrum. The "youngest" fossil pokemon, in theory, is Archeops. I don't quite know the time period the turtle Carracosta is based on originated at, but it should be previous or around the same period at the dinosaur ones, I think.

Would Lucario be considered one? That story told in the Tower of Mastery about how it was the first Pokemon to Mega Evolve [in the normal manner] seems to me to have been a long time ago, as if Mega Evolution is something that modern Kalosians just took for granted as something that happened and therefore no one thought to look into WHY it worked, until Prof. Sycamore came along, like gravity before Newton.

There is also the possibilty of tentacool/tentacreul species. No pokedex entries actually say so, but given they are based on jellyfish which are fairly simple organisms, its possible they've easily been around millions of years. Beyond them, all ghost types are a strong possibility, as we see pokemon like gengar being imprisoned by pokeopolis, and just the idea that they are the dead means its possible they've existed since the first death. Also ninetails, not technically ancient but as possible immortals they have the possibility of being so in extreme cases.