[OOC] Fate/Empty Vessel [Sign-Ups for Third War and Servants needed]

Shamitako

My problem is simple I don't like the idea of rating characters for a rp (especially before it starts) by giving low ranks like that your basically saying that they suck, and what would be the point of playing one when your going to basically lose anyway. That is all.

• Replies 177
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My problem is simple I don't like the idea of rating characters for a rp (especially before it starts) by giving low ranks like that your basically saying that they suck, and what would be the point of playing one when your going to basically lose anyway. That is all.

You could still legitimately win the war through tactics and cooperation.

If I were to make an analogy, image the movie Home Alone (basically child vs adult robbers if you haven't seen the movie).

In a contest of sheer power, the robbers would probably win (higher star rating)

But since the child in Home Alone booby trapped his entire house, he eventually managed to drive off the robbers (through tactics).

Maybe in the RP you and your master devise a scenario to make it possible for Hervor to pull off his Noble Phantasm, effectively trumping against stronger servant.

Edited by Stalkerkain

I think you're misunderstanding how this works, despite the fact that I already explained it like five times :/

Being a 1* is not a negative, being a 5* is not a positive (although I admit that balanced characters in terms of cost effectiveness, I.E. 3*s, may be disproportionately useful)

I mean my Hassan is a 2 star, but I never intended him to be fighting servants. In terms of lethality, he'd still be among the top of the crop here simply because he can Assassinate and get out reliably unlike many other Hassan.

The issue is when you rate servants that don't have niches or quirks that place them around the ratings themselves. But like, even then, I doubt the ratings would mean a complete "you lose cuz lower stars" situation. It merely indicates a level of power, which doesn't determine fights singlehandedly. If you're rank is low and you don't have any utility or niche to subvert it somehow like my Assassin, then it might just be more reasonable to buff the raw stats.

Edited by Nero Chaos

Even as-is, Hervor is a perfectly good servant (in fact buffing her would be detrimental to her usefulness as it would raise her cost without boosting her effectiveness very much) She just requires setup so she can guarantee a Tyrfing hit. Similar to Gideon who basically wins the war if he uses Turmoil of the Lord's Night effectively, but it requires him to fight at least two (preferably three) other servants on his own terms (I.E. not just barging in on Arturia and Diarmuid out of the blue and winning) Effective use of a low cost servant is just as devastating as effective use of a high-cost servant. Not even including special scenarios (like being a Hassan :P)

I think you're misunderstanding how this works, despite the fact that I already explained it like five times :/

Being a 1* is not a negative, being a 5* is not a positive (although I admit that balanced characters in terms of cost effectiveness, I.E. 3*s, may be disproportionately useful)

I mean my Hassan is a 2 star, but I never intended him to be fighting servants. In terms of lethality, he'd still be among the top of the crop here simply because he can Assassinate and get out reliably unlike many other Hassan.

The issue is when you rate servants that don't have niches or quirks that place them around the ratings themselves. But like, even then, I doubt the ratings would mean a complete "you lose cuz lower stars" situation. It merely indicates a level of power, which doesn't determine fights singlehandedly. If you're rank is low and you don't have any utility or niche to subvert it somehow like my Assassin, then it might just be more reasonable to buff the raw stats.

i well understand that. if it was just ranked purely on the cost i wouldn't have a problem but its not. ugg i hate typing i can't ever get out what i want to say correctly.(even in grand order there is no saber under three stars on the merit that they are sabers, i also have a dislike of the star rating in GO but that for a different topic.)

I'm in no way saying that it needs to be changed i just don't see the reason why it has to exists in the first place. i will admit that even to me she is not strong compared to other servants i have made or that others have made i just feel like ratings devalue the servant and their legend ( i wouldn't say shes a complete servant either)

Even as-is, Hervor is a perfectly good servant (in fact buffing her would be detrimental to her usefulness as it would raise her cost without boosting her effectiveness very much) She just requires setup so she can guarantee a Tyrfing hit. Similar to Gideon who basically wins the war if he uses Turmoil of the Lord's Night effectively, but it requires him to fight at least two (preferably three) other servants on his own terms (I.E. not just barging in on Arturia and Diarmuid out of the blue and winning) Effective use of a low cost servant is just as devastating as effective use of a high-cost servant. Not even including special scenarios (like being a Hassan :P)

even if i wanted to i couldn't really buff her there just isn't that much on her other charisma at a decent rank(she was a well love and respected queen at the end of her part of the story) and military tactics at low rank (shes a viking so yeah) and maybe mad enhancement or mental pollution because of Tryfing (it kind of drove most of its wielders crazy Hervor was the least effected by it) and possibly something to do with Valkyries since that may or may not of been part of her legend(One of the Valkyries is named Hervor and it might be her or not) but most of that stuff is from the point that I'm not using her from(I used a younger version of her instead of her older self.)

either why i will stop on this subject now so this doesn't keep going and i am sorry if i have caused problems.

eventually i will put up some more servants. i finally found some of my older ones i used before(admittedly only the saber and archer i liked from that...maybe that assassin too) so i will put them up at some point.

i well understand that. if it was just ranked purely on the cost i wouldn't have a problem but its not. ugg i hate typing i can't ever get out what i want to say correctly.(even in grand order there is no saber under three stars on the merit that they are sabers

For the record, a good number of GO star ratings would be changed if people ran those servants here. EX: Kojirou would be 4* since he's a single combat-oriented Assassin and not an ASSASSINATE ALL THE THINGS Assassin

wee so rusty made a rider like everyone else but unlike other his is the embodiment of concepts and ideals.

Character (RPer): Spirit of the West (rustytengo)

Classes: Rider.

Alignment: True Neutral

Parameters

Strength: ?

Endurance: ?

Agility: ?

Mana: ?

Luck:?.

Phantasm: EX

Class Skills

Riding: EX

Magic resistance: C+

Personal Skills

Voyager of the Stars: EX

Eternal arms Master: A

Noble Phantasms:

Manifest Destiny, Desire of man to expand ever forward: EX

Unlike regular servants The Spirit of the West does not have set ranks for its attributes instead its attributes are based off of its master own will and determination to continue. If those ever change so does the attributes of the servant.

Legends of the West, ideals that dwell in the mind of man: EX (anti-anything or nothing):

The Spirit of the West holds all legends from the west within itself from tools to mounts. Things that may appear mundane to most servants’ hands are Noble Phantasms all their own in the hands of The Spirit of the West.

it work like a combination of the gate of Babylon and Knights Honor. He can summon relatively mundane things and turn them into Noble Phantasms.

in this case things usually attributed to the wild west(certain guns,ropes, knifes, hatchets, certain tools and the such)

The End of The West, but the West never truly dies as long as it lives on in the hearts of man: EX (Anti-Death)

Upon the death of the Spirit of the West there is as chance that its doesn’t die depending on the connection it shares with its master

.or in none vague way of saying it, its based off of the luck attribute of rider at the time of its death(At E rank it would be !0% each base rank increases the chance by 10%)

Edited by rustytengo

yeah and nothing is ever vague in Fate nope not at all...LOL

i gave it a percentile chance based off of luck at death.

i do have a base set of attributes that would be its usual if you want those too.

I won't deny that Fate can be vague, but from an RP standpoint I can't let that high a level of vagueness through, I'm sure you understand

Next I would like you to clarify the mechanics of the second Phantasm as well. The way it's written I can't tell if it's intended to function like Gate of Babylon or like Knight of Honor

yeah i understand this servant is all kinds of vague to begin with just because its based off of something vague.

it functions like both of those he can summon things and turn normal things into NP's.(within reason no jet is an NP for him but hey look this normal rope i can use it to lasso the wind.)

The basis might be vague, but specifics are kind of needed for this sort of thing. You need to specify how each of the Phantasms work, give them set parameters under certain conditions, etc. Just specifying a range of things would be good (e.g. "stuff that the stereotypical cowboy used, like ropes, horses, revolvers, breech-loading rifles, etc)

The basis might be vague, but specifics are kind of needed for this sort of thing. You need to specify how each of the Phantasms work, give them set parameters under certain conditions, etc. Just specifying a range of things would be good (e.g. "stuff that the stereotypical cowboy used, like ropes, horses, revolvers, breech-loading rifles, etc)

i know that trust me. it was hard to even come up with NP's for The Spirit of the West specifics where not really on my mind when i was writing it out.

that stuff is the intention of it, though there are other things other then those that would qualify like well tools like shovels, hammers and the such since they also help build the Legend to the West too.

i added to the main post for it to show that.

the first noble phantasms i don't have anyway to make less vague like i said i have a default set of attributes that i will use for it but you will have to trust me to raise and lower it based on events of the RP if its summoned(which in itself is nearly impossible since well there wouldn't be any catalyst for it and some one being compatible would be very rare). I made this character to actually die if i was writing a story it would have the most epic death i could make.

On the contrary, there are a crapton of catalysts for it. It's the Spirit of the West, any item with the spirit could easily act as a catalyst. In addition, although it's less likely to happen due to the general mentality of mages, a master with that pioneering spirit in them would certainly be compatible

But, honestly, while it;s a really cool concept, I'm going to have to deny it for now and ask you to rework it better

specifics where not really on my mind when i was writing it out.

Because this, along with some other things you've said, imply that you didn't really put all that much forethought into your design

keep in mind that most of the things that would be used could also be used to summon other heroic spirits since the Spirit of the West is also tied to those hero's as well. They would be much more likely to be summoned in my opinion.

that fine i didn't really expect you to accept it, its more designed for a story then a RP. Trust me though i did put quite a lot of thought into it(but like i said more from the side of it being a story then an RP). I'm more just curious what you think needs more work for it.

Here, have a Caster.

I almost luv her as much as I luv Caracalla ~

Character (RPer): Orpheus (Bfroger6)

Classes: Caster

Alignment: Neutral Good

Parameters

Strength: E

Endurance: E

Agility: D

Mana: C

Luck: C

Phantasm: D

Class Skills

Item Construction: A (It is not items that Orpheus creates, but songs which bend the reality to her will. But it is those songs that transcend the limits of this set ability, and allow the poet to express themselves in the form of tangible objects.)

Territory Creation: C (Oh, my noble satyr, thy hooves sound the beginning of my end. But I shall not disdain, I refuse to give in, and with this rhyme, I make thy forest mine.)

Personal Skills

Eye for Art: EX (Orpheus's songs are the source of all the world's music. As such, she possesses an extraordinary taste for the auditory arts.)

Arcane Melody: EX (An innate ability of Orpheus's to make the world dance with the songs she plays on her lyre. As such, she needs no mana of her own, as it is her songs that change the shape of the flow of mana in everything. With her songs, she can bend the elements to her favour. It is indeed her songs that make the winds dance, rivers flow, earth crumble and fire shine.)

Poetica Orphica: EX (A poem has the power to encapsulate one's full attention, and allow them to reach what they truly want to reach.)

Noble Phantasms:

Apollo's Moonstring: The Lyre of Gods (D, Anti-Perception)

Orpheus's lyre is her main weapon. It is the source of her magic and the catalyst for the songs she weaves in her heart. The songs it plays have the power to charm all living things, and even matter itself, just by how beautiful the tunes are. It can be utilized in the form of a special attack that breaks the barrier of reality around the target and effectively incapacitates their senses, overcoming them with auditory stimuli. Those with higher magic resistance are able to resist the charm of her lyre, but normal humans and other beings will fall victim to the beautiful melody that seems to have originated from someplace beyond the realms of our understanding.

Ode to the World: The Eggshell of the Cosmos is a Lyre (EX, Anti-World)

The song which has shaped the universe. It is the ultimate concept of creation, a level of conciousness reached only by the gods and those alike. It is the first and final word translated into the voice of Orpheus's lyre, a voice that can create as well as destroy. When utilized, it brings about unimaginable power, but what form it takes depends on the user. In Orpheus's case, as is expected, it takes the form of a song so beautiful, it sways the whole of the universe, and has the power to shift one's will beyond the recognition of one's senses and into a trance-like state of eudaimonia, before crushing down at them like a powerful tidal wave.

It has the potential to tear one's world apart.

"The inescepable death and the unending life, when her lyre strikes the hand of god, all that's been will once again fly."

For Eurydice: Ballad of Light and Darkness (B~EX, Anti-Unit/Self)

Only by one's own blood can the song of their heart and soul truly be written. With her blood, Orpheus can weave the fabric of her masterpiece song, the ballad to her lover, and unlock the truth beyond...

It is one of few of Orpheus's techniques that isn't channeled through her lyre.

Edited by Bfroger6

Here's mine(If I am not too late.)::

Character(Player): Toren Mikalue(Malfaria)

Alignment: Neutral Good.

Appearance: About 6 foot with unkempt brown hair that appears to be black. His eyes are mystical green, but for some reason they turn gold without warning. Somewhat lanky and primarily wears white and blue. Has a scar along his left cheek.

Personality: Toren cannot ignore those who need help no matter if there friend or foe. He is outgoing but prefers to keep to himself majority of the time. Tends to act on impulse, but also may think things through. Curious by nature.

History: Toren appears to a first Generation mage, he was also nearsighted at birth. His parents did commune much, and he didn't have much in the way of riches. However it suits him fine, since he is grateful for things he does have. He happened to be in Seigishi around the time the Third Grail War began.

Skills: Having a talent for Earth magic, Toren can use the ground him to adapt to the situation. Not only that but he is skilled it the blade, using it as his main way of fighting. When blind he can "see" via the ground beneath his feet, though it is useless on enemies that are in water or airborne.

Servant: Prefers to use one, but is welcome to the idea.

Denied, sorry, there's just too many things wrong with that sheet... I don't even know where to begin

I would recommend that if you attempt to make another sheet you lengthen it a bit to start with. I'd also like you to work with a higher level of grammar. Once you've got the sheet fixed up I can work with you to improve some thing about the character itself

-your personality section is super contradictory: outgoing but keeps to himself? impulsive but thoughtful?

-eyes randomly turning color isn't a thing. there are Mystic Eyes, but those are different (and don't change colors.) iirc the only thing in the Nasuverse that results in eye color changes is being a half-demon, and that's only if you're close to giving in to your demon blood

-Servant section doesn't make sense

-brown hair that appears to be black? wat?

I'm going require an example of what you are referring to.

Sigh, lemme try to be clearer:

1. Start over
  2. Improve your grammar
  3. Make your next sheet longer and more detailed

Once you've done that we can work on the character itself. Right now I'm just worried about your writing

Just think I'd be interesting to see this Ideal/Concept clash with Honor. Basically, the Ideals of a hero, a true Idealistic view of a hero, fight one that is a a purely human and emotionally driven version of one. That and I really think it's a good opportunity to have a different type of Berserker, one's that's not entirely just super crazy mad and isn't to crippled by being in the class... really it just fun to try and make Berserkers that actually want to be Berserkers. Like really, not being a Berserker, Revenge would be maximum garbage. ((Also... I'm too good at making Berserkers and just really starting to like it.))

Revenge

Character (RPer): Revenge ((Hukuna Fulmine))

Classes: Berserker, Saber, Lancer, Rider, Archer.

Alignment: Chaotic Neutral

Parameters

Strength: B [b+]

Endurance: A [A+]

Agility: C [C+]

Mana: E ((Due to poor efficiency and Revenge's tendency to rip mana from her Master rather than herself. After all, they are her battery, a means to an end.))

Luck: E-- ((Horrible circumstances tend to have to happen to lead one on this path, Their lives they tend to continue to be garbage and tragic.)

Phantasm:

Class Skills:

Mad Enhancement: D ((More a mad mantra to get Revenge at any cost losing any ability to focus on really anything else. The Grail is the Ultimate Goal and nothing else matters. Typically even to the disregard of Revenge's own master as well. Revenge can speak normally and carry on regular conversation, but her dogmatic approach to her goal shallows her ability to properly focus or consider others to any degree.))

Personal Skills:

Battle Continuation: A

Bravery: A+ ((Rank up due to Revenge's dogmatic mentality. It makes her even harder to break.))

By Any Means: A+ ((Due to not being a proper heroic spirit, this ability is not a true Noble Phantasm. Revenge is able to use any tactic, any weapon and sometimes... even seemingly magic or concepts to reach her goals. He can change tactics entirely on the fly and entirely change fighting style. She can wield nearly anything she gets her hands on to a master level, and seemingly bend the laws of nature and the body to win at all costs. Winning to get to the goal of revenge is all she wants and it is this drive the runs her. She doesn't even now what she wants revenge for anymore, but hopes the Grail will remind her. Think like Fate/Zero's Berserker's Knight of Honor, but... less related directly to weapons and more to just the concepts and tactics of battle in and of itself. This represents itself best in the Arm of Revenge, the conceptual weapon created by this Skill. It changes to suit Revenge's needs as it houses the form of all weapons and...ideas of battle. Her madness however can cause her to lose sight or miscalculate her ability. In any class not Berserker it is stuck in the form the class is renowned for and cannot switch.))

Eternal Arms Mastership: B ((Revenge's ingrained ability to fight and fight well is imprinted in her very character. It prevents her Mad Enhancement for messing with her ability to fight too much. However, not being a true master in any particular weapon... she's only okay at using all of them and doesn't excel in any particular weapon. If fighting a Lancer in a battle with a Lance she'd easily not be able to keep up. Same with all the other classes that are dedicated to a style of fighting. In any other Class, Revenge's Eternal Arms Mastery ranks up 3 times as they are usually the shade of someone who was brilliant with that weapon.))

Noble Phantasms:

(-)

Not having a true legend, Revenge has no real Noble Phantasm