Ymora Academy [OOC / Sign-Ups Closed]

Chim

I pretty much set that limit when I use mons with them in RPs, they can use enough to recover full health and that is it. ((so 2 uses of a 50% and only 1 of rest.))

Since some mons just need to be able to recover to work even in an RP. It's just how some more defensive mons work. So, that's how I would personally justify it, but that's me.

Also, I make sure that they have to get OUT of combat first to buy the time to do it. In the anime those moves don't instantly happen you have to have the time. As such you won't be in position to maybe guard the next attack like you want or you have to get out of the way enough to use it. They are powerful moves since HP means a lot more in an RP, so you need to work to get it. ((Rest is the only one with suuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuper obvious drawbacks.))

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Also, I make sure that they have to get OUT of combat first to buy the time to do it. In the anime those moves don't instantly happen you have to have the time. As such you won't be in position to maybe guard the next attack like you want or you have to get out of the way enough to use it. They are powerful moves since HP means a lot more in an RP, so you need to work to get it. ((Rest is the only one with suuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuper obvious drawbacks.))

Amen. Can't really add anything else to this tbh. The scenario you described relies more on the opponent making a mistake or getting a bit careless which would probably be more liable to accept that kind of situation instead of having a move that auto gets you out of trouble. But yeah, another big reason I don't put recovery moves on is because sometimes another move could be used as a defensive maneuver.

Amen. Can't really add anything else to this tbh. The scenario you described relies more on the opponent making a mistake or getting a bit careless which would probably be more liable to accept that kind of situation instead of having a move that auto gets you out of trouble. But yeah, another big reason I don't put recovery moves on is because sometimes another move could be used as a defensive maneuver.

Yea, I still like them since I can use them to get out of a pinch if I put in the effort. and still have other moves that have utility use. ((Hell, pretty much every attacking move could be used defensively, weaker power moves could actually be a bit more useful than super strong ones as well, like flame wheel you could use to burn up just incoming projectiles or make hitting you hurt since you cloak yourself in flames etc etc... there's a lot you can do with moves if the only purpose of them isn't just to do damage. I'd reckon most moves could be used a myriad of ways, you just got to be smart about it and have a plan and a reason for them to work as your describe.)). Iron Defense? It raises stats yes, but it could be used to bring up one's guard last second sorta to defend oneself. Withdraw is probably a better example for Turtle or shelled mons who could pop in their shell to mitigate damage. There's so much you can do with a more anime style of play where the moves aren't just "this does X" and that it. That's why RP'ing pokemon is so vastly interesting lol. Well at least to me XD.

Personality: A bit reclusive, he prefers to focus on his schoolwork than to socialize, but he can be willing to open up to others. This gives him a somewhat defensive and cold attitude towards others, which is a result of his troubled past. Inside this icy shell, however, burns a firey passion for helping Pokemon and other People, which can lead to him being a good friend once you get to know him.

No, there actually isn't anything wrong with this, but I kind of want clarity on something: is the personality more or less the same when you get closer to him (ie harsh words, but they are sincere) or is he like a completely different person?

I kind of also want to throw something in the backstory. It's not bad, but it's completely nonsensical. I live in a state where winters are kind of bad at some points and there's no way he could have just found a Fennekin unless a resident in the town completely abandoned it an hour before Johnathan found it. It kind of contradicts your whole story as the town is racist against Fire Types (which I find hard to believe...considering you need heat to survive in that town) meaning there really wouldn't be any fire types to begin with. There is no possible way a Fennekin could be there unless it was owned by a different trainer because even in the game, the player passes out trying to travel to snowpoint due to the climate.

@K_H

Fire type racism, and getting bullied by the kids? Sounds like a Slade x3. Not that that's bad but through my own expirence it's very lackluster.

The way I thought about it with Slade being in Celedon City was Charizard. Trainers usually start with either a squrtel, Bulbasaur or a charmander. Since charmander evolves into Charizard which is a part flying type you could easily sweap the entire gym just with him. Going with this thought it would start to give the gym a bad rep for being a pushover giving the city itself an unfavorable rep. This led to the people slowly growing a dislike for fire types seeing as people I talk to refer to the Charizard family as a fire type. Plus it didn't help that on the route leading right up to it had patches of grass that had wild Growlithes and Vulpixes.

Looking at my reasoning now, it was way to extreme and I see so many mistakes. I'll only mention the big ones, 1. A gym leader is supposed to work around their type's weaknesses and find a way around them to give their opponents a challenge. 2. What about Bulbasaur and squirtle? With just them 2/3 of the challengers would have a types disadvantage or they both resist each other. That 66% not even including the fact that other trainers might have different starters. 3. IMO it felt for the entire time I was RPing as Slade to have to refer to Celedon as having a fire type bias. Changing an entire city and its people to fit one PC made me feel a bit selfish too.

Not saying yours is the same as Slade's and I'm not telling you can't do it kuz then I'd be hypocrite, but I do highly suggest against doing this from my own personal experience.

TL'DR: I suggest you don't have a fire type bias

Name: Helene "White" LeBlanc

Hometown: Shalour City [Kalos]

Program: Trainer

Faction: Student

Appearance: Helene is around 4'9" in height, and noticeably athletic in build for a young teen.Her sandy blonde hair will almost always be seen in a simple ponytail, with a headband holding the hair above her forehead out of her eyes, a la tennis player. Helene continues the tennis player trend throughout the rest of her outfit whenever not dressed in school attire, with athletic fabric composing her tank and skirt. She prefers no-show socks and a good pair of running or tennis shoes to round out her casual outfit. Her eyes are brown, and her facial composition is almost doll-like, lacking dimples unless she's grinning particularly wide for whatever reason.

Personality: Helene is a genuinely walk-first, talk-afterwards kind of person. Instead of taking verbal abuse and throwing it back with words, she'll oblige to action and usually will silence the antagonist there. Aside from that, Helene will seem asocial, opting to dream, think, and assess her environment inwardly. She usually is the one answering questions aimed at her, as opposed to asking them herself - but she is not afraid of responding to prompts. She is calm, cool, and collected - noticeably hard to rattle in most situations. The most positive trait about her is her undying loyalty, and her most negative trait is being impersonal at times.

Starter: Pancham (Level 8) -Fighting- - Tackle, Leer, Arm Thrust, Foul Play (egg move)

Backstory: Born in the Kalos region to a wealthy family, Helene arrives at Ymora not expecting to make friends and only in trying to get high marks. She has had everything she has ever needed to succeed in Kalos, and is somewhat pampered in that regard. Before going to the Academy, she has always had help, and said help has made her itch to accomplish things on her own. Aside from her wealthy upbringing, "White" has always been an only child with a lot of expectation put on her shoulders. Not only has she little experience of doing something herself, but she has all of the spotlight shining on her back home...

Shalour was a haven for Fighting type Pokemon, and Pancham is one of the Kalosian representatives of the type. The Pancham was never caught with a Pokeball, and has followed Helene since they encountered one another. Pancham provided Helene with a goal she could call her own, no matter how much her parents wanted to claim the accolades for her success. In many ways, Pancham was the driving factor for Helene going to Ymora.

This Character sheet will be regularly updated and maintained throughout the RP. It will ALWAYS be up to date.

Name: Mayanna ("My-Awn-Ah") Colbez
Hometown: Shalour City, Kalos
Program: Trainer
Starting Side: Students
Starter: Spinda, Male ("Folie")

Appearance

Base Appearance

A girl standing at 5"6. Maya has an Lean and agile build, and a fair complexion with long, straight, raven black hair and a heart shaped face. She has an aquiline nose, with a heavy band of freckles running across the bridge of it, spattered in such a haphazard manner that it's almost as if they were the hurried work of some drunken painter. Her eyes are a deep Cobalt Blue with a piercing gaze that seems to linger even long after her attention has moved elsewhere- one that notably becomes far fiercer in intensity if angered or deeply annoyed -and both bear a flaring ring of hazy, golden green radiating outwards from the inner iris.

Chapter 1: Bonds

During the first chapter, Maya dons slate grey cargo shorts and black boots, wearing finger-less gloves of the same color alongside a double breasted, white hoodie, often left open and exposing a glimpse of the plain, black undershirt beneath and the Silver Moon pendant around her neck. Her raven locks are tied back into a low ponytail, with two long, dark bangs framing her face.

Chapter 2: Breeding Dragons

Maya's Attire remains the same as in the first chapter.

Chapter 3:???

------

Personality

An ESTJ, dedicated and fiercely loyal. Maya is someone who is reliant mostly on others for a sense of purpose and direction, and is willing to work hard in order to keep the promises she makes to people. Rather than brute force or power, she prefers to rely on cunning and wit in order to solve problems. A mistake in her eyes does not mean the end of the world; it is simply an opportunity to learn and improve oneself.

Though usually quite level headed and perceptive, the level of attachment and faith Maya often places in those close to her can come off as being Naive at times; Ironically though, these same qualities are the very reason that Maya would sooner try to save and redeem a friend than to condemn them. Even with that said though, Her powerful dedication and desire not to fail others does not come without a personal cost to herself, as these same traits often cause Maya to fail to consider and acknowledge her own self and her own feelings in many cases.

She suffers from Amaxophobia due to the events of the night that led to the loss of her parents as a child. Her fear mostly extends towards cars and other such automobiles, with it's severity becoming far more acute the smaller the cabin size and space of the automobile, as well as the higher the speed at which it is traveling. While she can mostly endure rides on buses and other larger vehicles, it is near impossible for her to do the same with traditional sized cars, vans, trucks, etc. without Folie taking some sort of action in order to keep her calm or subdued.

Backstory

Born in Shalour City to rather well-off parents. Maya and her twin Brother Firon enjoyed a decent enough childhood growing up, with Firon always idolizing the Kalosi Champion and Elite Four, dreaming of someday becoming a great enough trainer to join them... though Maya herself had no real idea what exactly she wanted to do when she got older. At the age of 11 however, Their lives changed on the night of a fatal car accident which killed their parents... and also took her brother's ability to ever walk again.
  The two orphans were ultimately taken in by a close friend of their late father: a man by the name of Caidmus Wilk. Wilk had known their parents for over decades, though he hadn't seen the two children since back when they had been small. Nevertheless however, he still felt an obligation and a duty to keep the promise he once made to his old friends, years and years ago, doing the very best he could in order to acclimate the children. Though he was staunchly resisted at first, eventually his repeated efforts managed to finally break through and the two finally accepted him.

Even in their new life with their Foster Father though, things were far from perfect. Firon's dream of one day being the strongest... was dead. There was no denying it, not while he was bound to a wheel chair and unable to walk. Even if he had managed to be accepted into one of the Academies given his disability- everything after graduation, his entire career, would've still been rendered virtually impossible... as sad and infuriating as it was, the simple fact at the end of the day was that his dream had been quashed before it could even really begin.

Or... so Firon had thought. Seeing her brother slowly withdraw and give up, as if his life was over before it had even truly gotten started, was something Maya couldn't bare to just sit and watch. It wasn't like she had any idea what she wanted to do with her future anyway... and she had already lost her parents. She wasn't about to lose her brother as well. She could still walk...

And so it was that Mayanna made one promise to her brother: She would do it. She would go and become the Champion of Kalos for him. She would make sure his dream didn't die, just because his ability to pursue it himself had been stolen by fate. She knew it wouldn't be easy. She knew that if anything, the goal would've been near mind boggling hard. But she did not care... If it was for Firon, She would work however long and however hard she had to in order to keep the promise.

And work hard she did. For the past three and a half years, infact. She had to practically beg Wilk to teach her how to even battle, something which for some reason the man was oddly against doing.
   Eventually though, he broke down to her persistance... but just to know whether or not she was really serious, He first Mega Evolved his own Scizor, a fierce female of the species named Erce, before Maya's eyes... And he explained to her how many years, no, decades he and his own partner had needed to work and train throughout their career and their glory days, and that even after all that effort, they still never became quite as powerful as a champion would be.

And again... it didn't matter to Maya. She was willing to put in the work, how ever much it may be. And on that day, Wilk finally said yes... and not long after gave her a pokemon to use as her own partner- with a... catch in mind; She could choose what type it would be, but the choice of the actual species she got would be left to Caidmus.

If the girl was truly adamant about this path, she would have to learn that pure power was not the end all and be all of everything. She would have to learn to see beyond the mere typical division of "Strong pokemon" or "Weak Pokemon". She would have to learn to bring out the best of her partner's strengths and cover their weaknesses. Out of memory of her late mother, Maya requested a Normal type.and so he chose for her a pokemon that, in grand comparison to all the other fully grown species of the world, was... weak. A pokemon that could not evolve and would never evolve, and that she would simply have to make do with... a male Spinda. And starting from that day, Mayanna Colbez began her work and her training. Even though she had zero skill and next to no background, Caid found that the girl was a rather quick study... and even had a bit of talent, just like her father before her.

Four long years passed. Four long years carrying the promise she made and intent on not breaking it...years of practicing and being lectured and tutored. finally the time had come... she was old enough to apply to the academy.

To the Ymora Academy.

Trainer Data:

Current BP: 300

Known Inventory:

Energy Powder

Assorted Berry Stash

Complete team compendium

spinda.png

"Folie" (Pronounced Fo-Lee)

Spinda @Own Tempo
Male, Level 12
Support
-Teeter Dance

-Hypnosis

-Copycat
Attacks
-Dizzy Punch

-Faint Attack

-Icy Wind

mawile.png

"Titania"

Mawile @Sheer Force

Female, Level 11

Supports

-Sweet Scent

-Misty Terrain

Attacks

-Fairy Wind

-Iron Head

-Bite

-Astonish

Future Team Plan and Personas:

"There are no weak Pokémon in a Pokémon battle. There are only weak Trainers. Find the good in every one of your Pokémon. Draw out the unique strengths they possess."

-Siebold of the Kalos Elite Four

Founding Member and Leader

spinda.png-Folie, The Mad Panda

Themes

Regular

Intense

mawile.png-Titania, Queen of the Fae

Themes

Regular

Intense

Planned Team:

spinda.gifmawile.gifaltaria.gifaudino.gifcarbink.gifdodrio.gif

Spinda, Mawile, Altaria, Audino, Carbink, Dodrio

Personal Themes:

BATTLE!

"Nothing Special..." (normal brawl)

"Shifting Scales" (Not backing down; turning of the tide)

"Hearts bound as one" (Trials of trust and faith)

"Final Edge" (Near the limits, Can't go on)

"Hellfire Gaze" (Wrath and Fury)

VICTORY!

Normal

Extra:

-Maya has a Silver Pendant in the shape of a Crescent Moon, which she never takes off. Never.

-She prefers being called Maya, however will still respond to "May" or "Anna" to a lesser degree.

-There's a lot extra details here I'm voluntarily keeping out of the public light

I wanted to change the Icy Wind thing until I looked up Spinda's moveset. It sucks.

I also don't expect there will be many more applications, so I might be able to add the NPCs. I'm not sure if I'm going to reveal / finish all of them on time since some will appear much later into the story. And their importance will also change depending on where we are in the story.

Yeah no problem. You still got like a week or so, just saying that I don't expect many more people will join.

Also since Darvan posted while I was editing, I'll place it here:

Bagel, Stratos, Tacos and K_H are accepted.

@AuthorReborn: Change the Morning Sun to String Shot or something and you're good to go.

@Hilda: Foul Play is a really strong move and OP in the beginning of the story. You can change that or drop it (and let Pancham learn it later on) and you're good to go as well.

I was also wondering you thought about encore on my pc's abra as an egg move. A move like that can break a lot of strats like if something is fully dedicated to set up sweeping. It would be a nice thing to start with because I find it has a lot of utility for early capture, locking a wild pokemon into growl or something. I don't want to mess up any story battles though since I don't know what they're going to be based around.

I was also wondering you thought about encore on my pc's abra as an egg move. A move like that can break a lot of strats like if something is fully dedicated to set up sweeping. It would be a nice thing to start with because I find it has a lot of utility for early capture, locking a wild pokemon into growl or something. I don't want to mess up any story battles though since I don't know what they're going to be based around.

You're the only one with 2 moves on his starter. You could add things, but be sure to let me and Dobby know. Also don't add anything too powerful.

Okay now I'm actually done Chim. Tell me if there's anything I need to alter.

Sucker Punch and Revenge are too strong early on.

Also something you didn't know (because I didn't specify this earlier as I thought no one would add the daycare to their backstory. Now I have to find something else -.-') but a Daycare only raises Pokémon and doesn't have anything to do with breeding. There are special breeding facilities in this world that do the actual breeding. It's also not uncommon for Breeding Facilities to work together with a Daycare. More info on the Facilities will become clear during the story.

Also 'first person to notice sketchy things' is something you can't know. Rephrase is in a way that it doesn't sound like he's better compared to other PCs.

If it were anything but an Abra, I'd say no, but Abra has a crappy starting movepool and Encore isn't super OP as you'd think (you'd be surprised what people can do even locked into one move). Though I say it'd be alright to have Fire Punch, Barrier, and Guard Split given Abra's stats aren't made to use those moves really.

I wanted to change the Icy Wind thing until I looked up Spinda's moveset. It sucks.

Yeah, I kinda said the same thing to myself when I was drafting Diz. I didn't want to have to put something like Icy Wind in so early on, but with as few options as I had after I'd already chosen the other attacks, it was either a toss up between that move or Feint Attack... or the other alternative of simply choosing Tackle or maybe Flail, but having no choice but to just outright forfeit against anyone with a ghost type since there'd be no way to even touch em.

Between It and Feint Attack, Icy Wind seemed like the lesser of the 2 evils... only slightly though.

Edited it again. I chose a baby Pokemon over an egg this time, but I did "weaker" egg moves. I also added a little Extra as well.

Accepted. I still find it amusing to place a Pokémon in a PC, unless it's a Porygon or a Rotom.

I'll just drop it. There wasn't anything other than Foul Play that I would have wanted anyway. Arm Thrust, Tackle, Leer.

Accepted.

Now if I counted correctly, once AuthorReborn changes his move, we got 15 players. I might close sign-ups on Monday since I never expected people to finish this early...

Swapped Morning Sun out for String Shot. It was only really there because I thought'd be an interesting combo with Magnet Rise in contests, tbh.

Accepted. You can obtain it later for contest.