Ymora Academy [OOC / Sign-Ups Closed]

Chim

And everybody picks trainer...why does everybody pick trainer? I mean if I was able to make Henry a coordinator, anything is possible (though I might change it to Breeder instead of trainer if I use him).

Ikr and no one wants to start at RoGs side.

At this point I'll make a character to use as my PC and make him a RoG member in the Breeder program.

Feedback on finished applications will come soon. For those that reserved a post, notify me or Dobby when you actually finish.

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If I hadn't already created my character with the intent to specifically be a trainer and have it as such a central part of her backstory, I wouldn't mind switching. But the whole point is that Adeline doesn't like beauty and elegance. It's just not her forté. I might actually change her to be a breeder if you think we need some variety. I'll think about it.

Kage is remaining a breeder, so...

Considering Citrine is a breeder, actually, I think I'm going to go Citrine (I keep typing Luna out of force of habit) because breeders need more love (and she's fun to RP as). I mean if people really want me to play as the a-hole Coordinator again, I don't mind as I like both of them about equally, but otherwise Citrine is coming to Ymora (and Henry's deadly Skitty makes a return).

• Support Squad

Edited in my own PC Claude as well as the Sign up sheet. I'll be handling PC teams, so if there's any changes PM me about it. Especially if it's due to a time skip and the team changes are big ones.

There we go, Claude is Claude. Can't believe I didn't actually describe his personality in the original app.

Question I gotta ask. I know this topic isn't really toned upon in either the games or the anime, but what's the chance I could give my PC a weapon? It's gonna be more for show than anything else. I'll promise not to use it if given a pass on it,

...OMG I'm having Deju Vu right now. I mean sure you can have any type a weapon you want on you, but considering nobody else is going to do it, you'll likely be getting the crap beaten out of you for making everyone else feel threatened. Don't expect doing something like that in a SCHOOL ENVIRONMENT to just be okay.

Question I gotta ask. I know this topic isn't really toned upon in either the games or the anime, but what's the chance I could give my PC a weapon? It's gonna be more for show than anything else. I'll promise not to use it if given a pass on it,

Weapons get you kicked out of the Academy immediately.

If you start on RoGs side they wouldn't allow it either unless the character has permission which they don't give easily. So no, weapons aren't allowed.

Okay. Just asking on what sort of niceties could possibly come. I'll figure something logical out.

EDIT: Pokémon whisperer sounds like a cool trait to have.

EDIT #2: And don't worry. I won't metagame if I do choose that trait. Being such a young kid, and without giving some astronomically unlikely reason to justify it, the skill will be shallow at best.

Edited by Darvan Korematsu

• Support Squad

Okay. Just asking on what sort of niceties could possibly come. I'll figure something logical out.

It's also incredibly suish. I suggest not.

Generally speaking, choosing a trait as rare as something like Pokemon speak when literally every other PC is more or less just an average human being... kinda going into Sue territory...

EDIT: Ninja'd by the Elf. XD

The other two covered it, but yes this is sue territory. Who says the trainer and Pokemon need to understand exactly what each other are saying? Gypsy basically was a mute, but her messages seemed to get across pretty well.

EDIT #2: And don't worry. I won't metagame if I do choose that trait. Being such a young kid, and without giving some astronomically unlikely reason to justify it, the skill will be shallow at best.

*De jah vu intensifies*

Doesn't matter. it would still be sue terrortory given the context of the story. You see anyone else submiting sheets with powers or unique/ highly rare abilities?

Look, you really, don't need Pokespeak for any reason whatsoever, regardless of how you try to justify it bro. Take my old PC mareek for example, or hell, any of the old characters from the original. none of them had any type of ability to talk to mons, and yet, people still were able to communicate just fine regardless. Like commander already said, you don't have to understand each other PERFECTLY, hell, even most people who speak the same god damn language often only have a partial understanding of someone else is saying. That's just the nature of communication.

In fact, Pokespeak honestly just cheapons the relationship between Pokemon and Trainer. Not having perfect communication only opens the door for laziness and not as much depth. It changes the dynamic of the PC having to work to develop a bond and mutual understanding with a team member in order to work together fluidly, to a dynamic of just shooting the breeze like it's some everyday conversation on the street.

There's a lot more I could say, but I've got work that still needs to be done and a Character from a dead RP to refurbish and give them the justice they deserved but never got, so...

I don't accept characters with special traits. Simple as that.

Btw wise words from Dobby:

Probably because I expanded upon the backstory moreso in the RP than actually in the App. Which I feel we should suggest to some of the people. They keep following this formula of "X lived here, thing happened to motivate them, here they are." Which is fine, but some variety might be nice, you know?

• Support Squad

Like I said, that idea is fine, it's exactly what I did with Claude, so to say it's bad is hypocritical. It's just that most everyone has outlined their backstory to a minute detail. Sometimes less is more.

I prefer entirely to expand by play which is my reason for doing that to be honest. I prefer to figure out a character by feeling it and playing them rather than try and instill it via backstory. I'm not going to remember every detail of my backstory while in play. I'll remember key points but I'm not going to remember certain things like reactions etc because they didn't come out in play. But that's my preferred method of writing for RPs. Give soemthing but then leave most up to what happens in paly.

I never said I want to see all details, unless people want to play as a RoG character. I mainly use backstory to find something to throw at PCs (if possible) to see how they will react.

Edit: I usually go by play as well. I think I did that with most characters or only kept the key points.

I mainly use backstory to find something to throw at PCs (if possible) to see how they will react.

Hmmmm... so you did learn something from me after all XD. Hopefully it's not as brutal as some of the things i did in Graterras Original doe...

Hmmmm... so you did learn something from me after all XD. Hopefully it's not as brutal as some of the things i did in Graterras Original doe...

The most brutal thing I did was show Tacos's character his own death. xD

Btw Exlink, I got a question for you: how strong is Wolt's father exactly? Because there was some confusion about this last time as well, but showing no interest in becoming Champion is a pretty big deal. In this RP there are no 10 year olds to stop evil organizations, instead the champions (+ E4 members and gym leaders did that.) They really are OP characters at full power and everyone wants to be like them. (Well most young kids. Works the same as admiring an athlete when you're 10). So just walking away from the spot would earn Wolt's dad a lot of attention, not to mention the power he holds...

The most brutal thing I did was show Tacos's character his own death. xD

So you didn't show the tragic death of a village by the Elder's hubris in toying with magic he didn't understand by metaphorically turning him into a bomb that pierced the hearts of nearly all his people with his very bones? Maaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaan.

Also, I really don't mind if you pop some things into Emberly background so long as you and Dobbs talk to me about it by the way. I'm all for making some interesting stuff happen lol. I jsut don't want to outline too much in character sheet. It's my personal way of doing things.