Pokemon Surprise

LovelessWarrior

Kricketune. Such a powerful Pokemon early game, with all that Technician Fury Cutter action.

Meowstic. Wasn't expecting the female form to be so strong at sweeping early game.

Pyroar. Even though it kinda gets stunted with Moxie, this thing carried me through my main file with powerful Flamethrowers and Hyper Voices.

Mamoswine, Reborn was my first experience actually using the thing, I figured since I found some Swinub I might as well see what all the fuss is about competitively and my oh my I was not dissapointed. First off, the thing's design is great, it shows power unlike starter cats and rats and the power is not just in looks, it punches holes in things, including some of the more...harrowing bosses. Nowadays I recommend the thing to any newcomer of the game, you can get it early via breeding and keep it until the end of time and it will never fail you.

Edited by DJWongTong

Migthyena, and Emolga

When I realized Mightyena's hidden ability was moxie, I got so happy and then swept Julia's team with him. He used all his strength to solo the gym and ended up fainting right after knocking out her last pokemon. It was overall great early in the game and learning swagger made it last longer on being on my main team.

Emolga's nuzzle and electro ball combo was awesome. Having acrobatics was also pretty nice. Destroyed Kiki's team with her. I always thought Emolga was just a trash electric rodent but I was proven wrong.

Golduck. Good against Corey and Aya. Death against Cal and Kiki under the rain. And then he swept every non-Fairy in Ciel's team. Even Ame recognized the Water OPness and axed it from the Arcade, now available after Kingdra and Walrein and Samson.

Poor Seel.

raticate in early game.sword dance + hustle can kill things(the accuracy drop is sometimes a little anoying).i deposided it to the pc after radomus(at least it didnt die like blue's raticate).He was very useful against the 3 first gyms(and even more against shade and radomus).i want to see this pokemon getting a mega evolution. a normal/dark one with a weakness to fairy bug and fighting4x(even at 2x it has no chance against fighting),a resistance to dark and immunity to ghost and psychic.

not to forget the adaptability ability(because it learns only normal and dark)

to end it raticate did well for me and resisted even more than i expected

Edited by Bessi

The bullet-proof, badass, boxing, baller, beatdown, big man Chesnaught. Seriously that ability was surprisingly useful. Even though grass/fighting is weak to wayyyy too many things (thanks grass typing) but other than that it actually performed amazingly as a starter. True story, I managed to setup with some help and solo Charlotte with him. Atk and Def IVs maxed so it was all him being a boss.

My biggest surprise was my beautifly. When I got her I figured she'd be more support while my noibat would be my main flyer. But thanks to Beautifly getting a diverse movepool pretty early she became an absolute power house almost on par with my infernape, mainly because of Flobot and the Pulse Tangela/Tangrowths. I ended up using her up until the Noel/Normal Gym fight.

Another surprise was my octillery. I had mainly gotten it so I could breed an ice beam lotad, this was before the mechanics were updated. Yet he's turned out to be more useful, effective than my ice beam lotad has, thanks to his great move pool. With a little set up from my cosmic power/baton pass Lopunny he was able to storm through a few of the really tough episode 14 team meteor battles.

In my Psychic monotype run, I didn't really find too much surprise as the Pokemons that perform well were those that I did have great expectations in (ie. Gardevoir, Gallade, Metagross, Espeon). But Jynx gets a special mention because of her unique typing, great speed and decent special attack. Not to mention Dry Skin is AWESOME.

On the other hand, in my Poison monotype run that I've just completed, there were many surprises for me. Starting from Muk who runs an awesome Curse set (this thing solo vs Taka's team in the water treatment facility), Drapion with hard-hitting Knock Off and decent bulk (plus a nifty immunity to Psychic) and Weezing who is really really bulky on the physical side and learns Destiny Bond (bye2 PULSE Muk and Mewtwo). Also, the Nido royalty although they are not 100% surprising. I mean I know Sheer Force + Life Orb would hit hard but DAMN... Nidoking and Nidoqueen are definitely the two powerhouse of my Poison team.

Edited by Aldariel