Dubs Vs Subs

Felicity

Generally, I prefer dubs over subs unless the dub is really, really bad. I generally multitask so prefer hearing things I understand and not have to focus on reading. When I'm not multitasking or have time to kill, sometimes I'll watch ones with subs.

There are points where dubs is superior. From what I hear, Cowboy Bebop is a wonderful example of that. Full Metal Alchemist and Haruhi Suzumiya also achieved that.

But there are points where the original can absolutely not be beat. My greatest example of that, Accelerator from To Aru Majutsu no Index, who's dub VA absolutely pales in comparison to the original.

Example:

versus its dub counterpart.

There are points where dubs is superior. From what I hear, Cowboy Bebop is a wonderful example of that. Full Metal Alchemist and Haruhi Suzumiya also achieved that.

But there are points where the original can absolutely not be beat. My greatest example of that, Accelerator from To Aru Majutsu no Index, who's dub VA absolutely pales in comparison to the original.

Example:

versus its dub counterpart.

man, that is SO true. nobuhiko's accelerator is fucking great. every single scream and laugh was pulled perfectly. dub accelerator felt really awkward and like a complete let-down comparing to the original.

man, that is SO true. nobuhiko's accelerator is fucking great. every single scream and laugh was pulled perfectly. dub accelerator felt really awkward and like a complete let-down comparing to the original.

I keep thinking that Hiss is you... You were the only one I knew of who used avatars straight from a manga for the longest time. Plus, I could see you using his avatar.

*Respectfully disagrees*

I usually watch subs because they're easier to get ahold of legally via sites like Crunchyroll and they don't need a need a subscription most of the time. However if I manage to see the dub legally before the subbed version then I will watch the dub. As I'm pretty fond of the .hack//sign and Stein;s gate dubs.

I have only watched about 4 dubbed episodes ever, they were the first 4 of SAO and it was back when there were only 4 dubbed.

After that, I watched the subbed version and preferred it.

I just find that the english voice actors aren't really very...

I don't know. I could say they aren't good but that's not quite it.

They lack the proper energy and it seems kind of bland to me.

On top of that, some of them just don't sound good.

(just remembered that I watched some of Toradora Dubbed and actually liked the voice actors)

I guess most of the anime I watch is actually from a website that only provides subbed though.

ANYWAY,

imo,

SUBBED>DUBBED

Well, I listened to some dubbed ToAru recently, and I have to say I prefer the subbed version. The dubbed actors just seemed like they had a lot less emotion. Granted, most people tend to like whichever version they see first because it's what they're used to, but I thought the subbed actors fit the characters better and did a better job acting. Shirai's voice especially bothered me in the dub.

Personally I feel that most of the time the English VA tend to not be very good when it comes to displaying the very strong emotions, namely rage and when the character is absolutely bawling their eyes out and yelling stuff. This is a major problem for me considering I don't like action anime too much and tend to veer towards slice of life and romance anime which frankly don't have too many dubs in the first place compared to some of the bigger ones (which are mostly action). So for me I always choose sub first and if I love the anime and go to watch it again I do check out a couple dub episodes to scout it out.

I prefer subs more because I had been watching a good number of anime that way for years. I got used to subs after watching a select number of anime series that never had a dubbed version or didn't get one at the time, despite being highly interested in it.