Gay Marriage declared legal across the United States in Supreme Court ruling

Antilegend

It's just difficult for me to understand as a straight person.

That's the thing; I don't see how or why another male would have those kinds of feelings towards another male.

That's fine Sparky. Believe me, you're hardly alone on that front; many people are confused with how important this is to the homosexual community. Being gay has nothing to do with choice, it's something a person is born into. Just like you were born as a heterosexual American in Texas, homosexuals were born predispositioned to be sexually attracted to the same sex. To ostracize people because of who they are is oppression, which is why today is so important. It's another step towards accepting people for who they are at their core.

Imagine being denied to date the girl of your dreams simply because society opposed it.

I've read articles and bits of papers of a study that found some particular portion of the brain that has to do with attraction is homosexual individuals actually develops more like the opposite sex's and is either the cause, or coincides with the homosexuality of said person. I'm talking about the physical/chemical makeup of this part of the brain, not just emotional.

That's very interesting. Would you happen to have a link so I could have a look? Physical differences in the brain are really interesting to me.

Edited by Antilegend

• Replies 134
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That's fine Sparky. Believe me, you're hardly alone on that front; many people are confused with how important this is to the homosexual community. Being gay has nothing to do with choice, it's something a person is born into. Just like you were born as a heterosexual American in Texas, homosexuals were born predispositioned to be sexually attracted to the same sex. To ostracize people because of who they are is oppression, which is why today is so important. It's another step towards accepting people for who they are at their core.

Imagine being denied to date the girl of your dreams simply because society opposed it.

When putting it that way.... I guess I can understand it a little

Let's go for the big picture: You're presented with something, anything, that will make you happier as a person, and if isn't going to affect you or anyone else in a bad way, why not go for it?

Gay marriage is hardly going to have any actual downside to the life quality of the general population itself, on the contrary, it's merely going to benefit a part of the population that has been marginalized for quite a long time, and it's a big step towards equal rights in general.

Not wanting to put more wood in the fire but i'm actualy interested in what people have to say regarding gay marriage's downsides in a socio-political POV.

That's the thing; I don't see how or why another male would have those kinds of feelings towards another male.

Is K, I can't understand why anyone would have those feelings towards a male in any scenario, so you're not alone owo

Or worse, because your own family opposed it or threatened to kill you or throw you out of your home.

Sadly, this is very true as well. Speaking as a Canadian, I didn't hear hardly any stories of children being thrown from their homes based on their sexual orientation, but there were many here, and in America as well. As a family man, I couldn't imagine being cast out of my family based on something I had no power over. I also couldn't imagine how alone those people must have felt/do feel.

Here's somewhat of a bare bones article I remember from a while back. http://uber-facts.co...osexual-brains/

That's amazing, the Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences Journal is a peer-reviewed source. Though I feel 90 test subjects is a little low and the experiments might require further research, I think it's astounding how they're showing how the brain chemistry is different.

Edited by Antilegend

I also couldn't imagine how alone those people must have felt/do feel.

... It's like they love what you project for them to see in fear of retaliation, but when you take the masks off they can't help but say how ugly you are and force the mask back on you.

It is indeed lonely, because few will truly care about the true "you".

Edited by Telos

... It's like they love what you project for them to see in fear of retaliation, but when you take the masks off they can't help but say how ugly you are and force the mask back on you.

This, I know this feeling all to well

Whenever my mother tells me she loves me now, all I hear is "I love who I want you to be." It's extremely painful to realize you aren't even really loved by your own mother

Sadly, this is very true as well. Speaking as a Canadian, I didn't hear hardly any stories of children being thrown from their homes based on their sexual orientation, but there were many here, and in America as well. As a family man, I couldn't imagine being cast out of my family based on something I had no power over. I also couldn't imagine how alone those people must have felt/do feel.

Like fear. A lie. Like you morph yourself into something you're not and live that lie in fear of whatever the hell could happen to you. And then you peek out from behind the lie thinking "Maybe it's safe?" then you can't tell because there seems to be mixed signals coming from all over the damn place like you're in the middle of a damn minefield with a broken minesweeper. That lie then follows you everywhere until it becomes a part of you and you can't even bring yourself to be yourself because you've gotten so used to it just being a thing.

It sucks. It really does.

Kyo sums it up very well.

You really have no way of knowing how the people you surround yourself with (family/friends) will react unless you tell them or they outright say "That's fine" or "That's no okay". So yeah, I lie a lot. I shouldn't have to, nobody should. Nobody should have to live in fear of how their loved ones will take to them.

And as for relating to the issue even if you're straight: it's fine if the importance is hard to grasp. Just know that it's an important event for some people. The "It's irrelevant to me so I it's not important" or "I disagree" mentalities aren't helping anything. No one is punishing you for having an opinion, rather having one beget from inconsideration. You won't be able to see from our exact viewpoint but considering this is something that people like me have been hoping for and struggling for would be enough. If not, most of us can relate to having a crush, falling in love, wanting to be with a significant other, wanting a relationship like other have, etc etc. Love is not rigidly defined. If we cage it to a singular case then we limit it and it loses it's value. So it isn't for one, or even many people to decide what love or a relationship is, but we can all feel whether or not it's there.

I don't want to force anybody's opinion to change. I just ask that you look a little deeper: get a different perspective. Consider some things and put yourself in another persons place. And if your opinion is the same, you can be sure that it's an honest opinion born from consideration and research.

It's not the decision I would make - but that shouldn't equate to me hating gay people, because that would make me somewhat hypocritical - and it shouldn't be dismissed as being homophobic either.

However, reading through the bill, Religious institutions DO reserve the right of refusal - so it's acknowledge that the term "Marriage" means two different things depending on whom you get your certificate from and who performs your ceremony -WAS- recognized by the Supreme Court and respected. There's nothing for me to be disappointed with here with regards to being an American. I'm happy for my close friends who will finally get the right to cement their unions in a manner that will be seen as equal to heterosexual people in this nation. I'm happy for the curtain to be lifted and for a group of Americans to be treated like the rest of us.

As a Christian, no I'm not happy at all with the way the country is being run - but it's not -MY- job to appoint judges to the bench and I didn't have a say on the matter. For now though, my way of life isn't threatened. Rest assured, you will hear me complaining when it actually is.

For now though, my way of life isn't threatened. Rest assured, you will hear me complaining when it actually is.

But how can something like this threaten your way of life? From what i understand it doesn't take away any "rights" from other people, or am i wrong?

Now...this is obviously a good thing because like many already said everyone should have the same rights (doesn't matter who you are) and i also agree that this is just a step in that direction as not many countries have the same point of view on the matter (but hey one step at a time).

I have to say though: marriage in general is too overrated, when you love someone you create a bond with them but (and this is only my opinion) marriage doesn't make that bond stronger, it just makes it "official" (for the authorities) still for someone (not for me, i will never get married) this "procedure" is important.

• Administrators

you can't understand two people loving each other???? because of some body parts???

Body parts? Please, you and I know better than anyone that it isn't even about those.

That's why I'm not upset about the decision, Gaunt. There -isn't- any infraction -yet- on behalf of the bill.

Things like this -do- serve as encouragement to activists and lobbyists to continue pushing until they start getting involved with diminishing OTHER rights. Religious people more often than not oppose gay marriage simply because it could snowball into discriminating against religious people.

It's a valid -concern- only, thankfully, due to the right of refusal being protected at this moment in time in the current bill - but a liberal government that is more sympathetic to marriage equalitists than they are to religious people would be inclined to deem equality more of an important right than religious freedom - and SHOULD that take place, that would threaten my way of life as it currently stands.

Yay, it's about time. I'm a straightTexan, btw.

Hopefully that means states have to acknowledge the same legal rights to homosexual couples as traditional couples enjoy. Some might try to wriggle out of that...

because it could snowball into discriminating against religious people.

seeing as how that has happened in the reverse direction in the past, I can see why they might be worried, but that's them projecting more than actuality.

ie, the kettle calling the mirror black because they're not seeing what is really there, but themselves in their opponent's shoes

• Developers

~If your argument for being anti-gay is "Adam and Eve, not Adam and Steve", then you need to Adam and leave~

- Pakulu Papito

Thought you guys needed some inspiration.

a liberal government that is more sympathetic to marriage equalitists than they are to religious people would be inclined to deem equality more of an important right than religious freedom - and SHOULD that take place, that would threaten my way of life as it currently stands.

Well "technically" equality should be applied to everything (religion or whatever) but i can see your point as in reality that never happens.

From another perspective though it would be a form of "retribution" for all the persecutions (trough the entire history) of gays by religious fanatics.

In Washington State, a judge ruled that a florist violated the state’s anti-discrimination laws when she referred a longtime customer to another florist for the wedding flowers for his homosexual marriage. In New York, a husband and wife shut the doors to their business hosting weddings on their family farm, after a court fined them $13,000 for refusing to host ‘gay marriages’ in their home. In Colorado, a baker faced jail time and stopped baking wedding cakes entirely after a court ruled that he discriminated against a gay couple when he refused to bake them a cake for their wedding. In Oregon, a court found similarly against another baker; and he may be forced to pay a homosexual couple up to $150,000. The New Mexico Supreme Court held that a photographer violated the state’s anti-discrimination statutes by refusing to photograph a gay wedding. Newspapers likely will be forced to publish homosexual wedding announcements, in violation of their existing editorial control over what they publish.

This all happened -before- this bill was passed. Make of it what you will, but being forced to serve a customer against your will for whatever the reason may be, it doesn't sit right with me at all. 'Be tolerant, or else.' If you want tolerance, you should accept and tolerate the fact that some don't agree with what you are asking of them to do. Regardless if you find it to be bigoted or not, they shouldn't be scared into fake tolerance, because that does nothing to help the cause and is a detriment to others as well. I'm sure there are others who would be happy to do business with the couples in question.

And of course the biggest one of all which has already been mentioned numerous times, a Christian church that would be FORCED to hold ceremonies for same sex couples against their will. It's not a matter of if, but when this controversy will come to the forefront as an issue. That much I promise you.

This all happened -before- this bill was passed. Make of it what you will, but being forced to serve a customer against your will for whatever the reason may be, it doesn't sit right with me at all. 'Be tolerant, or else.' If you want tolerance, you should accept and tolerate the fact that some don't agree with what you are asking of them to do. Regardless if you find it to be bigoted or not, they shouldn't be scared into fake tolerance, because that does nothing to help the cause and is a detriment to others as well. I'm sure there are others who would be happy to do business with the couples in question.

And of course the biggest one of all which has already been mentioned numerous times, a Christian church that would be FORCED to hold ceremonies for same sex couples against their will. It's not a matter of if, but when this controversy will come to the forefront as an issue. That much I promise you.

>> yech. Well that's just... really? wtfbbqsauce

• Developers

In my my serious opinion I believe there aren't as many consequences as people believe. Here in NZ same-sex marriage has been legal for almost two years and there have been few issues concerning Christian venue ceremonies etc. despite roughly 40% of the population being Christian.

Religious people more often than not oppose gay marriage simply because it could snowball into discriminating against religious people.

I just thought I would address this. I am a devout christian. A catholic, in fact. And I think, no offense, that this point is absolutely stupid, the exact kind of thing that could only be a concern in America (it should be clear by now that I don't have the highest opinion of America as a country).

Allow me to make something clear: "marriage" is a term that refers to two very different things. In some religions, "marriage" refers to a ritual performed in the name of God (or the gods, depending on the religion) following a very specific procedure. If said procedure clearly states "sorry, this ritual is not for homosexual people", then homosexual people don't get it. When in Rome, do as the romans do. When you are in a church, you play by the rules of the church.

But in legal jurisdiction, "marriage" refers to the civil right two PEOPLE (notice the term "people": there is no constitution in the entire western world that makes an exception for homosexual people) have to form a family together, in the process gaining access to a number of privileges. As this is a civil right guaranteed by the constitution, it is the duty of public officials (in Italy for example it is the major of a town who has this duty) to administer this civil right for anyone who requests it, regardless of color of the skin of sexual orientation.

Therefore, being heterosexual and a devout catholic christian, when I get married it will be in a church, in front of a priest. Meanwhile, my gay pal will get married in the city hall, in front of the major. I won't interfere with his right, and he won't interfere with mine. How does this discriminate me in any way?

Golden Rule of democracy: you are free to do as you please as long as you don't limit the freedom of somebody else. How do gay people getting married limit my freedom? Quite honestly, I could care less.