Gay Marriage declared legal across the United States in Supreme Court ruling

Antilegend

• Replies 134
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The two really aren't comparable in my opinion.

The same thing could be said about men and women and men + men and women + women though. What if one person believes none of these are true relationships? You're focusing on the wrong part of the story here, the point is that it's his opinion.

Edit: Welp... Opinions... I done fucked up my own message. :x

Sparky, (should you read this) because I'm curious, what led you to believe that a non-straight relationship is not 'true?'

The same thing could be said about men and women and men + men and women + women though. What if one person believes none of these are true relationships? You're focusing on the wrong part of the story here, the point is that it's his opinion.

It's based around plenty of reasons; One being related to something similar on what Pyrr says and the other being that I'm a Texan and same sex marriages just don't sound right in the slightest.

Edited by Sparky

it's literally people being together because they're in love

it's literally two humans forming a stronger, deeper bond because they're both mutually attracted to one another

does it really matter what parts someone has? it's a body. it's literally flesh that rots in the end.

i don't understand what's so POSSIBLY offensive by the purest of emotions, the one with the truest intent.

It's based around plenty of reasons; One being related to something similar on what Pyrr says and the other being that I'm a Texan and same sex marriages just don't sound right in the slightest.

So there aren't gay texans? That's a very bold statement.

Jokes aside, I think the mere fact that Sparky's opinion is being discussed here (or that Sparky felt the need to make his opinion known in the first place) proves my earlier point: there is a big big problem with people, if they cannot differentiate opinions from laws when it comes to these matters.

People are entitled to their personal likings. And their personal likings should be their own private business: you like gay people? Who cares. You dislike gay people? Who cares. As mentioned earlier, I dislike people in general, so you could state that you hate gay people and you want to kill them all, for all I care. That has NOTHING to do with the topic at hand.

The topic at hand has to do with the laws that govern a democracy. Which are based on cunstitutional principles and international jurisdiction involving civil rights, not on personal likings.

Getting married is a right of all citizens, homosexuals are citizens, homosexuals are entitled to the right of getting married. End of discussion.

Voicing your opinion is also a right of all citizens, you are a citizen, so you are entitled to the right of saying that you don't think homosexual unions are not "true" unions. It is an opinion deserving of respect like any other opinion, as long as it is expressed politely (on this regard, I was kinda expecting you to be flamed and hated by those Alexus called the "wolves", I am glad this was not the case. A civilized discussion on matters like these is a rare sight). However, being a personal opinion, it is absolutely irrelevant for the topic at hand.

In short: you might not like the fact that people are entitled to a right, but they are entitled to it regardless. Heck I don't like the fact that people in Italy who miss good old Mussolini (and I hope it is clear that the "good old" part is sarcastic) have the right to vote, but they have it nonetheless. That's democracy for you.

Well, that's unfortunate. Here's to hoping the state of Texas will soon progress to a time of acceptance of all people, regardless of sexual orientation.

The same thing that lead people to believe that animals and humans is not a true relationship. Opinions. We all have different ones. Maybe his opinion is like that because of morals, religion, or just disgust, it doesn't matter. If you criticize someone, you're no better than those who criticize. Just speaking my piece tho, carry on thinking what you guys think, I'm just trying to help out someone who I feel is being attacked.

I think the response to the post has been civil, truthfully. Nobody's flagrantly attacked Sparky for the post. Everyone's got an opinion that they're entitled to, of that there is no question.

Opinions, however, aren't going to be free of criticism. The fact a day like this even exists is testament to that. Sparky has the constitutional right to his opinion, and the opposition has the right to refute it.

Edited by Antilegend

Resident Texan here,

The fuck does living in this backwater state have to do with it? If two ( or more, but that's a different discussion for a different day) people want to have a strong bond and have that bond made stronger, then they have every right to do so. It's not a matter of preference, nor should is really be a matter to have an opinion on, two people will do together what they want, that's that.

Well, that's unfortunate. Here's to hoping the state of Texas will soon progress to a time of acceptance of all people, regardless of sexual orientation.

I think the response to the post has been civil, truthfully. Nobody's flagrantly attacked Sparky for the post. Everyone's got an opinion that they're entitled to, of that there is no question.

Opinions, however, aren't going to be free of criticism. The fact a day like this even exists is testament to that. Sparky has the constitutional right to his opinion, and the opposition has the right to refute it.

Also what makes this day so much different from any other day? I'd honestly like to know. Or is it an opinion? I could honestly state that this day isn't important whatsoever and would it change your viewpoint? No. Will you guys harking on Sparky change his? No. Arguing over opinions has no point so why don't we all stop and stick to the topic.

Edit: K then, no jokes allowed, I see how it is.

Opinions, however, aren't going to be free of criticism. The fact a day like this even exists is testament to that.

This so much

I'm actually really impressed with the lack of "wolves." It's rare for anywhere on the internet to stay civil on these matters. Well done Reborn, if I had a cookie I'd give it to you

I will respect that you're being civil about your opinion. That's better in my books than about 90% of people who think that way. Just sort of a counter argument on my part. You have every right to your opinion, and I want to make that clear. My problem is the fact that I, like other homosexuals, have been put in this situation, not by choice, but because it was the way I was born. While I hate to use this comparison because I'm aware that African Americans have it far worse than us, it's similar to racism. These people were born with a skin color that they couldn't choose. It came naturally. And unfortunately, because of it, they suffered persecution, and were denied rights. As time progressed, they were to be treated as equals (not saying they currently are, but that they should by Constitutional Law). While homosexuals weren't denied nearly as many rights, until today, in certain states, homosexuals were denied their right to marry as human beings. Fortunately, that is now changed. It's unfortunate that metaphors such as these have to be made to aid people in understanding the severity, but I'm simply stating that homosexuals are human beings who feel attractions towards someone of the same sex, and should be allowed their right to marry the person they feel that love towards.

Additionally, being a Texan doesn't have as much to do with it, it's more the stigma of the community that you were most likely raised upon that made you feel that way. I'm lucky enough to be in a household where opinions are formed freely. My parents never tried to swing me to be a supporter of gay marriage, but through logical analysis and eventually, my own realization of my sexuality, I came to realize that it's perfectly alright. It may not sound right, but it's perfectly normal, and I assure you, not a choice.

Also what makes this day so much different from any other day? I'd honestly like to know. Or is it an opinion?

The fact that people who were denied their right to marriage finally received it throughout an entire country. It's not an opinion. It's a fact. Additionally, considering the current tone of this topic, I'd ask that we refrain from using any "memes" or satiric videos.

Also what makes this day so much different from any other day? I'd honestly like to know. Or is it an opinion? I could honestly state that this day isn't important whatsoever and would it change your viewpoint? No. Will you guys harking on Sparky change his? No. Arguing over opinions has no point so why don't we all stop and stick to the topic.

"what makes a rather large step in the direction of equal rights for everyone, regardless of orientation or gender, a big deal?"

a ) nobody's told him to change his opinion

b ) you're calling us out for not sticking to the topic when you've been throwing out memes

c ) it's the general opinion that this is right. those are just our opinions, right? right?

"what makes a rather large step in the direction of equal rights for everyone, regardless of orientation or gender, a big deal?"

a ) nobody's told him to change his opinion

b ) you're calling us out for not sticking to the topic when you've been throwing out memes

c ) it's the general opinion that this is right, but it doesn't matter if it's in that context, right?

K I see how it is. Anyway I accomplished my goal here. See you all sometime later than I guess.

You understand that this is one of the biggest civil rights changes in modern history, correct? Opinion has nothing to do with the fact that a right has been betowed to millions of people who were denied that right beforehand. Whether or not you deem it important, this is an absolutely staggering change to how society in the United States will view sexual orientation in the near future.

There's certainly nothing wrong with a healthy debate between opposing sides on a civil issue.

see how what is? you walk in, throw out some memes in a serious topic, try and say "OH GOD YOU GUYS ARE ATTACKING SPARKY" when everyone has remained the most civil on a reborn discussion in a VERY LONG TIME, and then try and go on to say that giving people a basic right that they previously did not, and had little hope of having isn't a big deal? this is a LANDMARK victory in the lives of any same-sex couple, how is it not a big deal? people cant get married because of the way they were born??

"but why cant humans and animals get married then" it's almost like they're a complete different species?? with no way to consent??

marriage isn't even about reproduction in the first place, shit. it's literally a bond of love and affection, not "can i stick my dick in you and make another human"

seriously.

It's just difficult for me to understand as a straight person.

Well then, I'm here to help. Have you ever held feelings for a girl, or been in a relationship with a girl, and felt as if you truly loved her? As a homosexual, I would probably feel exactly the same way, just towards another male.

Well then, I'm here to help. Have you ever held feelings for a girl, or been in a relationship with a girl, and felt as if you truly loved her? As a homosexual, I would probably feel exactly the same way, just towards another male.

That's the thing; I don't see how or why another male would have those kinds of feelings towards another male.

I've read articles and bits of papers of a study that found some particular portion of the brain that has to do with attraction is homosexual individuals actually develops more like the opposite sex's and is either the cause, or coincides with the homosexuality of said person. I'm talking about the physical/chemical makeup of this part of the brain, not just emotional.

it's the same argument if i were to say i don't understand why you like women. now, that's a lie, because as a woman myself, i do like women. i like them a lot. that's why i have a girlfriend.

love is mutual attraction between two people. whether you don't know why people are attracted to something or not, it's literally all the same.

That's the thing; I don't see how or why another male would have those kinds of feelings towards another male.

To be completely honest with you, I don't know why either. I just do. We, as humans, aren't going to understand everything. This world is far bigger than all of us. And with a universe so big, why this issue has become so big, I'll have no clue. Sometimes, you just have to accept things as they are.