Not the same Earth: A Ground Monotype Tale

Redo.

Decide this two things  

27 members have voted

1. 1. Should I make this one a heavy story tale?

• Yes, the simple runs are everywhere, and watching you create a new plot over the Reborn one will be fresh and cool
    • No, keep it simple and easy, just basic strategy in gyms like your old Normal Monotype
  2. 2. Should I train ALL ground type pokémon up to the same level before the gym leaders?

• Yes, EVEN Nincada, this time it's just 27 and not 50+, it won't be that much of a pain.
    • Yes, but only the fully evolved ones, you can skip Nincada and Pupitar if you want
    • Yes, but only those who may get some use, if a Pokémon is totally outclassed by another (For example, Sandslash when I get a Marowak with Thick Club), you don't need to spend more time with it
    • No, just grind the one you are using for the next gym
  3. 3. Choose my starter

• Mudkip, everyone loves him and it was axed in this episode
    • Turtwig, it lacks love and you should think of type advantage, it's event come late and you'll be swimming in Water/Ground
  4. 4. Can I go back to older episodes to abuse the events?

• Yes, if you have them downloaded, why not?
    • No, that's cheap, if Mudkip and Trapinch got axed that's too bad, good luck against Florina

So after both of my normal monotype (part 1 & part 2), mostly because I grew tired of grinding ALL THOSE NORMAL DERPS, I decided to try again, now that EP15 is out. But now with a few changes!

First, the story will start probably tomorrow, mostly becuase I want you to decide a few things for me

• The typing will be Ground, this won't be open for discussion, it has a lot of different types in it (Yay for Fire/Water/Grass core) and not that many fully evolved pokémon, also, while it has awesome pokémon, it is not a easy mono, as the type disadvantages are thrown early when I don't have much to counter them.
  • My starter will be Turtwig, this is because Torterra is the only Grass/Ground, there are some early Water/Ground out there and also a Mudkip event Actually, EP15 changed Mudkip event and added a Turtwig one, and because I have EP14.6 this is not a problem.

Yet I want you to decide two main things that will change this story greatly, they are:

• If you want this story to be more focused on plot (Something new to me, and probably will drive me to continue on this one has I write it) or on strategy and team building (Like the last two ones), to be honest to you, the former will probably be updated faster and won't have much Engrish (Sometimes Spanish get the best out of me, by the way, I'm Argentinian)
  • Should I grind ALL those damn ground type pokémon? My last Normal monotype was dropped because of this, because just before Serra they trow me a lot of new catches and it was ridiculous, more than a box and half of pokémon to train, and a lot of them were just not useful anymore, because they were HEAVILY outclassed or they were unevolved normal types (Eevee and Azurill to name a few, I couldn't evolve them and they were just deadweight), and considering that more catches would become avileable un Route 1 and 2 became unapealing, luckily for me this time, Ground wouldn't suffer of this TOO MUCH, with a MAX of 27 pokémon to grind by the end of the episode is not that bad, and with the exception of the HORRIBLE STUFF THAT IS NINCADA, all of them should be grindeable at least, also, finding that otherwise unsuable pokémon may have some over an specific gym leader is cool

So yeah, you guys decide on this two things for today, and by the end of the day I will follow your recommendations.

(Also, I read in On The Hunt forum that there's a new Numel event, it's before Julia? Because that would make her easier and both the Tangrowth and Rini not a nightmare)

Edited by Redo.

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I would say to train MOST of the pokemon but not all. I did almost the same with my ground monorun and it was enjoying and not too tiring. For example grinding all the 5 water/ground types will be a bit useless since you only need Swampert who outclasses all the others and one who can offer water immunity (if you are going to play in e15 swampert is only available as a starter).
Also I would like to see you use less dual types cause I end up using only Donphan from pure ground types

Well, seems that most of you preffer a simple story with not a lot of grinding (Making this easier to me? Thanks guys!), but I will have this open for a while just to see what you say.

Also, can someone explain me that Numel event? It will be a must have member.

For now, just a small introduction and some story on the main character:

charkuro.png

It's really that strange that someone born in Mahogany Town doesn't have an interest in Dragon type pokémon? Like, I trained some of them before, but they are not my thing, yet this doesn't mean you have to exclude me like I am sick or something!

My name is Suelo, Suelo Erosión, stuff there as been hard since Red resigned his position as Champion, with Lance claiming it and Clair as a Gym Leader it was the perfect excuse for the elders to push into us youngster the 'greatness' of the mighty dragons, but I couldn't care more, my hearth was stolen by Bertha of the Sinnoh Elite Four (and no, before you say something like 'But she is like 70 dude, that's sick' I don't mean I fell in love with her, but with her battle style), seeing her Rhyperior cleaning the floor of some poor guy who though that if he bringed some water and grass it would be easy was just... epic.

This make things complicated, here dragons are more important that what we think as individuals, so me going my way was not something they let me do freely, hell, as soon as I hot 18 I was send to win ALL the gym leaders with my 'pesky' ground pokémon just to show my point. Luckily for me Lance heard this and show some sence to those senile bastards, that and the Gible he gifted to me calmed the waters.

So, what I'm doing in a train to Reborn? Ame scouted me in one of her trips to Johto, she told me that changing airs would help me and because I was recommended by Lance (at the end of the day, I beated all the gyms, even Clair, the face of the elders was priceless when they heard this) I would be given an starter pokémon to start my journey here, let's see how this end...

Edited by Hinaru-Sama

Mudkip was axed in E15, but there's now an Event for Turtwig, so you may want to rethink your starter.

Worst case scenario, I have EP14.6, EP10.6 and EP10.1 downloaded so I can abuse older events.

May I ask what else was axed or changed since EP14.6? This new mechanic of the Mistery Egg can be sofreseted so I can get a new Ground pokémon before Flobot? Also... Did they axe Trapinch or it's just me?

Edited by Hinaru-Sama

Worst case scenario, I have EP14.6, EP10.6 and EP10.1 downloaded so I can abuse older events.

May I ask what else was axed or changed since EP14.6? This new mechanic of the Mistery Egg can be sofreseted so I can get a new Ground pokémon before Flobot? Also... Did they axe Trapinch or it's just me?

Don't know everything, but here:

They axed Trapinch. :(

The Mystery Egg is actually post-Florinia, pre-Corey. Trade Growlithe Egg to Police Officer for one. You can potentially get Drillbur or Rhyhorn (Protector in Iolia Valley), but you can't soft reset sadly... There's still the Trading Thread, but I don't know if you want to use that.

Hippopotas is now in Deep Tanzan Mountain as a rare Wild Encounter! Sand Stream can be pretty beneficial on your Monotype!

And as for the Turtwig Event, the Froakie puzzle in Agate Circus changes to a Turtwig one after you complete it and get Dive.

I'm going to add two new questions to the poll, you decide how this will go.

• Should I choose Mudkip or Turtwig as my starter?
  • Can I go back to older episodes to farm Trapinch or other events?

What was trapinch replaced with?

Both Psyduck and Trapinch were replaced with the cheaper Slugma and Nidoran-M.

Oh, that's another Ground type! Nidoking!

Nidorina's Event has also been changed. It's in a box somewhere in Beryl Cave!

• Turtwig or Mudkip?
  • Using old episodes so I can have to chance to caught old, axed pokémon. Yes or No?

Answer this to questions guys, so I can start this as fast as possible. The other 3 questions at least have 5+ answer, but this ones are pretty much ignored.

• Turtwig or Mudkip?
  • Using old episodes so I can have to chance to caught old, axed pokémon. Yes or No?
Answer this to questions guys, so I can start this as fast as possible. The other 3 questions at least have 5+ answer, but this ones are pretty much ignored.

Hey, at least Chubb and I answered them.

Well democracy has spoken and it seems that you guys made your choices, so here are the rules:

1. This story will have a heavier focus in plot than actual gym leader strategy. I will try to explain how I beat every gym leader but most of the attention will be focused on how my character (Suelo) feels about his actions.
  2. By general decision, I can choose when to drop a pokémon forever because it's totally otclassed by other, I will explain to you when I choose to do so, but if I have the smallest doubt it can continue to be useful I will grind him again (Or in case a pokémon form an emotional bond with the main character because of the plot, it won't be sacked).
  3. My starter will be Turtwig.
  4. I can (and will) abuse old episodes for early 'mons or sacked ones, this basically means full team vs Florina.
  5. I can only catch Ground type pokémon.
    1. In the case a pokémon evolves into a Ground pokémon yet it isn't one at the time it's catched (Ex: Nidoran, Mudkip, Grotle) it can be caught and grinded.
    2. In the case a pokémon that is Ground type DON'T evolve into one (Ex: Nincada and Pupitar) I can grind them if I feel they are useful but I can't evolve them.
  6. Set mode, makes the game harder and it's more realistic, you don't just switch after the opponent makes his move.
  7. No item in battle, this also simulates reality, the opponent won't give you time to apply a potion to your pokémon.
    1. Held item CAN be equipped, it's not the trainer the one who uses it but the pokémon itself.

Expect the first update in a few minutes.

Good luck with the mystery egg, drilbur can be amazing for a ground mono.

Rhyhorn would be decent as well. Solid Rock can easily help with commong weaknesses like Water, Ice, ect (of course my boy Camerupt also gets Solid Rock, but Rhyperior is a Physical attack instead of special).

Rhyhorn would be decent as well. Solid Rock can easily help with commong weaknesses like Water, Ice, ect (of course my boy Camerupt also gets Solid Rock, but Rhyperior is a Physical attack instead of special).

Rhyperior? Wait, protector is finally avaliable?

Good luck with the mystery egg, drilbur can be amazing for a ground mono.

IMO Rhyhorn is better than Drilbur, even has a Rhydon it's probably on par (If not better) to Golem (Better attack and even more bulk WITHOUT Eviolite, in exchange of beign slower), and Rhydon has better movepool.

On the other hand, Excadrill has to get the spot of the not bulky physhical sweeper, spot that probably Marowak steal because of Thick Club (And Curse Steelix is the best Ground/Steel, at least In-Game).

Guys, sorry I'm late, but I tried a lot of different ways to aproach this, and it's hard to find a writting style that doesn't seems to force me in an english I am not very comfortable with. So I did like the main character was telling his story in a diary, maybe not the best way to explain everything, but it's fun and easy to write, so please tell me if you like this.

ENTRY#1: THE FIRST STEPS
LOG#1: In the train, starting this new dairy so I can document all my adventures in Reborn.
LOG#2: Mixed feelings about this idea of mine, maybe a change of air can help my realitonship with the elders, but I miss Johto already.
LOG#3: Got out of the train, Ame was waiting for me on the station.
LOG#4: She told me stuff I already know, like they try to rebuild Reborn to his previous glory, the pulliton, the League and the lack of wild pokemon.
LOG#5: Ame got scared out of nowhere and told me to run, then everything went white...
LOG#6: OMG, WTF, THE HECK THE FRIGGIN' STATION BLEW ON MY BACK, I'M LUCKY TO BE ALIVE AND TO CONTINUE TO DOCUMENT THIS, BUT WHAT KIND OF WELCOME IS THIS, PUTTING MY LIFE ON DANGER!!!!!!!
LOG#7: So, after the explosion a random girl came here joking about the explosion, even worse she is a gym leader! Why did I come here again?
LOG#8: Ame went to help with the investigation, it seems someone is waiting me in the Gran Hall
LOG#9: They told me to go to the Grand Hall and o I did, and in the way I found people scared 'cause of the explosion, police everywhere and familiars moruning the loss of their loved one, beautifull sight... at least someone gifted me a Potion.
LOG#10: A lady was waiting me on here, and her Veronica, she seems like a good girl, and not crazy like the happy explosion's one.
LOG#11: Went to see Ame, they found a culprit so they're investigating him now, she told me I can choose an starter pokemon.
LOG#12: My new pokemon is a Turtwig, named him Antartico. I'm happy about this because there are no wild one in Johto, I always wanted a Torterra.
LOG#13: Veronica went to choose her pokemon, and a stranger came to hit one me! Uhmm, I don't swing to that side dude, and no, that's not the way you should aproach someone.
LOG#14: This guy is called Cain, not a bad guy, but please, I'm not gay...
LOG#15: He challenged me to a pokemon battle, it's time to show of what my Turtwig is made of.
LOG#16: He sent out a Nidoran♂, now I want one of those, the Nidoking I let at home is a badass.
LOG#17: Both pokemon are young and inexperienced, so it was a Tackle vs Scratch battle, I won just because Nidoran♂ missed.
LOG#18: After the battle we went to heal our pokemon.
LOG#19: Ame and veronica meet us and Cain decided to enter in full gay mode again, god damn it Cain.
LOG#20: Cain went to register to the league, and Veronica challenged me to a battle.
LOG#21: Veronica's pokemon is a Tepig.
LOG#22: A pure Tackle battle, won because my Turtwig is faster, well done dude.
LOG#23: So we are all ready to start our adventures, I guess, Ame updated my PokeGear with a Reborn chip, gifted me a new shoes (I don't know why, but they're new and better quality than mine's, so I take it) and asked me if I was sure of only training Ground type pokemon, when I told her I was sure she told the to search a Garden, well, that's strange but at least a hint.
LOG#24: Some dudes thought they were cool closing the bridge and claiming only good trainers could pass... beating them was fun.
LOG#25: Okay, some guys tried to drown a poor Zigzagoon, poor creature, luckily I could save it... and let Turtwig tackle those bastard has much as he wantedm they deserve it.
LOG#26: Wnet on to the city, and *cof* *cof* what's wrong with all this pollution, I'm pretty sure you have more chances here to get a lung cancer that to find a shiny.
LOG#27: It seems that all gym leaders in Reborn use 6 pokemon, so this may be harder than I thought.
LOG#28: So, the thugs of this zone believed I was an easy target and tried to stole my money, their mistake.
LOG#29: Found the secret garden, now... what's here?
LOG#30: So the Ground pokemon here was a Burmy, not the best, but beggars are not choosers.
Team

turtwig.gif
Antartico ♂ Lv16
Docile
Shell Armor
-Razor Leaf
-Tackle
-Withdraw
-Absorb
burmy-sandy.gif
Sahara ♀ Lv10
Quiet
Overcoat
-Tackle
-Protect

Catched total: 2/73
Catched availeable: 2/63
To be trained: 2/27

For those who don't know, 'Catched total' are how many Ground pokémon I catched of the TOTAL ground pokémon in the 'dex, 'Catched availeable' are the one currently in Reborn (Ex: Groudon or Landorus aren't still in the game, so they don't count in availeable yet) and 'To be trained' are all the different families in the game.

So yeah guys, tell my if you like this type of storytelling or you prefer something different.

Edited by Redo.

No replies? Godkarp is displeased.

ENTRY#2: DAMN EXPLOSIONS!!!!
LOG#31: Going to the gym... wish me luck.
LOG#32: So it's closed, and there's a note on the door.
LOG#33: So someone is summoning the gym leader to a factory... Why do I feel that if I join them everything will go south?
LOG#34: There's a guy with green hair in front of the factory, I don't know why, but my guts are starting to hate him.
LOG#35: OKAY, WHAT'S WRONG WITH YOU, STARTING THINKING I'M SHIT AND YOUR INFERIOR FROM FLIPPIN' NOWHERE. COOL CAT? TOP DOG? BEST OF THE WORLD AND I DON'T KNOW WHAT SHIT IS IN YOUR MIND?! I'M SAD YOUR MOTHER DIDN'T DROP YOU HAS A BABY, IT WOULD HAVE BEEN A FAVOUR TO EVERYONE THAT HAS THE POOR LUCK OF MEETING YOU.
LOG#36: AND NOW YOU WANT TO BATTLE ME, I'VE NEVER BEEN SO KEEN TO KICK SOMEONE'S ASS.
LOG#37: I sent out Sahara, he went for his Lotad.
LOG#38: Burmy tackled the poor thing to Oblivion, he never had a chance.
LOG#39: That guy (Fern I think was his name, not that I would waste my braim remembering him) sent out a Snivy.
LOG#40: After a good effort, Burmy is down, it's all in Turtwig I guess.
LOG#41: A Curse and Snivy is down!
LOG#42: Last scumbag's pokemon, it's a Budew.
LOG#43: And it's down by a simple Tackle, who's the top dog?
LOG#44: ANTARTICO EVOLVED INTO GROTLE!
LOG#45: He still believes he is the hot shit, poor guy.
LOG#46: No idea what to do next, maybe I should check the gym?
LOG#47: So I met Julia, she just had wake up from her nap and is going to the factory (Damn girl, it was an urgent matter), I was invited to go with them.
LOG#48: Julia was waiting me in the entrance, it seems she is setting something up.
LOG#49: OMG, THAT WAS TNT?!?!?!?! DAMN GIRL, YOU WANT TO KILL US? THE DOOR WHEN F*CKIN' FLYING FOR ARCEUS SAKE.
LOG#50: Two guys came to meet us, a girl with Green hair and... ugh, the scumbag.
LOG#51: The girl is called Florina, and shitFern wants the cool the things now, no shit Sherlock, I won't rest until someone hit you in the face, hard.
LOG#52: So the bad guys who blew up the station and could probably kill me are in here... Where's the police when you need them? Anyway, I want to give them a piece of my mind.
LOG#53: So whe found the reason Azurine Lake is a home of Grimer now, *cof* *cof* around 9'%+ of toxicity, damn... And Fern, could you please stop for a second? I wish someone throw you to the lake now.
LOG#54: So Florina decided the best way to proceed was to split up, and now I have to suffer Fern all the time... at least both of them shared them worries with me.
LOG#55: A lot of lowly grunts waited to ambush us... No guys, Rattatas and Zubats won't stop us, at the very least Fern knows how to battle... But he still is a scumbag.
LOG#56: We got to the main area, Julia and Rini were waiting for us.
LOG#57: Florina is trying to hack the main door while Julia order us to find some explosives to boom the door out of our way... BAD IDEA.
LOG#58: Found the bombs, A FLIPPIN' FULL CRATE OF THEM, the grunt that was guarding them said 'YOU'RE GONNA KILL US ALL', more realistic guy since I got here.
LOG#59: Just before Julia killed us all Rini finished the hacking, at least your sister is worth something, scumbag.
LOG#60: Inside was the leader of the organization... another cooky bastard.
LOG#61: The boss decided to take care of the gym leaders, so it's up to us to take care of the lackies.
LOG#62: Beat them, it was not that hard, Sahara is starting to become a sis'.
LOG#63: Team Meteor scaped...
LOG#64: OH PLEASE, DON'T TELL ME YOU SET UP ALL THOSE BOMB, YOU DAMN PSYCHO.
LOG#65: TRIED TO MAKE FERN TRIP SO HE DIED IN THE EXPLOSIONS, SHAMEFULLY I FAILED AND NOW HE IS USING SOME SORT OF 'SUPERIOR TOP DOG DEATH STARE' ON ME.
LOG#66: Three, MOTHERFLIPPIN' THREE explosions since I came to Reborn, my life is not worth so low to have to live through this.
LOG#67: So everyone went their way after de job was 'done' (Investigating the place for information? Mainstream, let's blow shit up), so now... I guess I will grind for the gym.
Team

grotle.gif
Antartico ♂ Lv19
Docile
Shell Armor
-Razor Leaf
-Tackle
-Curse
-Absorb
burmy-sandy.gif
Sahara ♀ Lv17
Quiet
Overcoat
-Bug Bite
-Tackle
-Protect

Catched total: 3/73
Catched availeable: 3/63
Edited by Redo.

Are you guys interested in this? Tell me if you want me to continue uploading this or you get bored

ENTRY#3: THE FIRST GYM BATTLE
LOG#68: Burmy evolved into a Wormadam!
LOG#69: It's now or never, I'm going to beat you, explosions psycho.
LOG#70: So the power plant/gym is bizarelly decorated, that's the psycho for you.
LOG#71: Ame made a videocall from a TV in the gym, and gave me some useful recommendations.
LOG#72: GUESS WHAT DIARY, THE GYM PUZZLE WAS MAKING VOLTORBS EXPLODE SO YOU CAN PASS THROUGH FENCES! ADD FOUR MORE TO MY 'SURVIVING EXPLOSIONS' LIST.
LOG#73: Finally, I'm going to fight Julia, I do expect her to be full of exploding Voltorbs and Electrodes...
LOG#74: Cheerleader Julia send out a Helioptile.
LOG#75: Well, it's the first battle of Wormadan, I believe in her!
LOG#76: One Bug Bite and it's down, damn girl you're strong. Shamefully she got Glare'd.
LOG#77: Now it's Voltorb's turn.
LOG#78: Switch'd to Grotle, a few Curses later it was down.
LOG#79: It's Emolga's turn now.
LOG#79: Tackle and goodbye, no question asked.
LOG#81: Another Voltorb? Ugh.
LOG#82: Sonic Boom damage was racking up, but Artantico still beated it.
LOG#83: Julia then sent out a Blitzle, just two more remaining.
LOG#84: Still no match for Grotle.
LOG#85: Last Julia's pokemon: A Electrode.
LOG#86: Sonic Boom toke out Grotle. It's all in you Sahara!
LOG#87: In a sliver of her health, she beat down Electrode, thank Arceus the psycho decided to use Rollout.
LOG#88: I GOT VOLT BADGE!
LOG#89: Uhh, it seems that Julia is sleepy, so she went to sleep... on the ground, at least she remembered to give me the TM57... Welp, time to get out of here.
Team

grotle.gif
Antartico ♂ Lv20
Docile
Shell Armor
-Razor Leaf
-Tackle
-Curse
-Absorb
wormadam-sandy.gif
Sahara ♀ Lv20
Quiet
Overcoat
-Bug Bite
-Hidden Power [Psychic]
-Tackle
-Protect

Catched total: 4/73
Catched availeable: 4/63

In reality:

DAMN THIS GYM WAS HARD, with 6 pokémon and Healing Items? Easy enough, but with only 2, no healing and that Sonic Boom spam (It doesn't help that Grotle and Wormadam are slow as fuck) it was a pain, I got lucky that the AI finally derped and decided to Rollout, but it still toke me 13+ softreset.

Edited by Redo.

(If you don't want this reply here, you can request it to get deleted)

I just went through the same thing, why didn't you get curse on Grotle? I thought it made things easier, especially when razor leaf after a few curses OHKO'es a lot of her team.