Other Fan-Games Suggestions and Ratings (WIP)

Fumble

• Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I won't give it a rating, but I'll leave some suggestions for fan-games that seem to be in development and already have a demo out in the beginning if they're on the forums and plenty of people like it. They'll be somewhere in the beginning!

Also, I promise I'll try to not procrastinate on this, but I'm leaving for vacation soon, so this won't be updating for another while...

Kay, just added the suggested fan-games on these forums section. These fan-games must be on the forums (obviously) and must have a demo out. Pokemon Mystery Dungeon Reborn and Pokemon Reborn Hardcore have been added!

Pokemon Se7en will be arriving shortly, once a demo comes out for this, if you were wondering!

Anyway, I'm leaving on vacation tomorrow, so I won't work on this thread for about another week. Sorry~

• 2 weeks later...

Alright then. I've been putting this off for a while, but I'll try to finish up the current list, now that I'm back. Anyway, I've decided that you all can help write some suggestions for any other fan-games you want, and I'll be sure to read them over, make any edits if there's some extra information to be put in or any typos, and add them (or not if I find them unsatisfactory). I'll add the rules soon.

• 2 weeks later...

I have noticed that two games I have "played" have an asterisk, so this is my attempt to contribute.

The games in question, though, are Resolute and Dark Rising. I can't certainly disagree with those reviews; only add some details or personal experiences with those hacks...

Pokemon Dark Rising

this looks more like a rant, not a review, but it's here anyways : |

I tried out and dowloaded only the first two games of the series and, after just some minutes into them, I lost interest. The starters are "powerful Dragon-type" Pokemon, but in DR2 you get them already fully evolved - basically turning the game into a solo run for me - and in DR, being unevolved, those Dragon-types (especially Dratini) are a hassle to train up, and fairly weak until they evolve. I stopped playing those games very early, but I still witnessed countless battles against countless rivals, what seems like an overly complicated plot, weak wild Pokemon and some great map design choices.

Making the levels of the enemy's Pokemon this high or making their Base stats higher doesn't make a game harder, but unfair. Someone has beaten the game without many problems, with a Gengar spamming Destiny Bond.

I actually have to say there is something good about these games. Tiles have been changed, Pokemon from newer generations have been included, and the title screen was changed. Sadly, this is everything good I have found.

Rating... I guess 2/10?

Pokemon Resolute (and Victory Fire)

I have never even heard about Pokemon Mega Power until I read this thread, so there is nothing I can say about it; unlike about the other games, Victory Fire and Resolute... which are much better than Dark Rising anyway, in my opinion.

I have played Victory Fire until the fourth gym, then stopped... I didn't decide to stop all of a sudden this time around, but I found other hacks and games to play, and at the same time I was stuck in Victory Fire. I really can't say much about the plot here... but I can talk about the difficulty curve that most people seem to complain about. I got stuck here because I try to avoid grinding, but even then it's not easy to grind at all - wild Pokemon have fairly low levels compared to trainer's Pokemon, and the difference becomes more noticeable as the game goes. Also, not having Pokeballs until the first gym is beaten makes the game essentially a Gible/Axew solo run - I have never used Ekans that much.

Resolute, on the other hand, is not this bad for me.

I am currently facing the Elite 4 of the Sylon league, the first region, and I got there without serious grinding - I actually only had to grind to level up the Eevee that is given to you.

This most likely will depend on the team you have, but somehow I was able to beat all the gyms without having my Pokemon at the same level as theirs. It is surely challenging, although hax on your side is often needed (like a paralysis hax or a defense reduction from rock smash), and it's still completely different from Reborn and the likes.

Other good things I can say is that we have new tiles, new Pokemon, "mega evolutions" that actually just work as regular evolutions, and the plot is not so bad... But I don't think it's that good either.

Other things I didn't really like, besides the difficulty level, are

Eliza, member of old team mirage, that is also a fakemon with broken stats and ability, and fights herself as a Pokemon

...and also the fact that this game, while offering you tons of different options for your team, can be made easier with specific "good" Pokemon that are available even during early game (Gastly is in the first route).

More particulars about the difficulty: the game becomes more difficult as it goes, but at around the eight gym and the league the levels of wild Pokemon increase, and the team will be likely strong anyway, to the point that the level gap with the enemies is not so important. My strategy was very simple - hit hard and not get hit back... But because of this, I didn't fully use my team. It now has basically four members.

For reference, my team was:

Mienshao (now broken with improved attack and speed boost), arcanine, jolteon (strongest member. Extremely fast and hits also very hard, defeated the main villain's ace, a certain dragon legendary), doublade (unevolved because aegislash is basically always blade form)... And then swellow, very strong in early game, and keldeo, obligatory Mascotte.

The rating would be a bit higher than Dark Rising... Also, in this game I obtained my first shiny... Completely random wild shiny Taillow!

Edited by Cyaloom

I have noticed that two games I have "played" have an asterisk, so this is my attempt to contribute.

The games in question, though, are Resolute and Dark Rising. I can't certainly disagree with those reviews; only add some details or personal experiences with those hacks...

Pokemon Dark Rising

this looks more like a rant, not a review, but it's here anyways : |

I tried out and dowloaded only the first two games of the series and, after just some minutes into them, I lost interest. The starters are "powerful Dragon-type" Pokemon, but in DR2 you get them already fully evolved - basically turning the game into a solo run for me - and in DR, being unevolved, those Dragon-types (especially Dratini) are a hassle to train up, and fairly weak until they evolve. I stopped playing those games very early, but I still witnessed countless battles against countless rivals, what seems like an overly complicated plot, weak wild Pokemon and some great map design choices.

Making the levels of the enemy's Pokemon this high or making their Base stats higher doesn't make a game harder, but unfair. Someone has beaten the game without many problems, with a Gengar spamming Destiny Bond.

I actually have to say there is something good about these games. Tiles have been changed, Pokemon from newer generations have been included, and the title screen was changed. Sadly, this is everything good I have found.

Rating... I guess 2/10?

Pokemon Resolute (and Victory Fire)

I have never even heard about Pokemon Mega Power until I read this thread, so there is nothing I can say about it; unlike about the other games, Victory Fire and Resolute... which are much better than Dark Rising anyway, in my opinion.

I have played Victory Fire until the fourth gym, then stopped... I didn't decide to stop all of a sudden this time around, but I found other hacks and games to play, and at the same time I was stuck in Victory Fire. I really can't say much about the plot here... but I can talk about the difficulty curve that most people seem to complain about. I got stuck here because I try to avoid grinding, but even then it's not easy to grind at all - wild Pokemon have fairly low levels compared to trainer's Pokemon, and the difference becomes more noticeable as the game goes. Also, not having Pokeballs until the first gym is beaten makes the game essentially a Gible/Axew solo run - I have never used Ekans that much.

-Resolute coming soon-

Thanks for the input! Will edit with your information.

I have added some things for Resolute.
I didn't really grind this much, but I ended up with a team of four. Because of the smaller amount of stable Pokemon and the high levels, I have no problems in the late game... The hardest part was probably the seventh or eighth gym.
Also... I've got this far because Mienshao is broken :D (see, I picked the Female character just for him)

Edited by Cyaloom

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

For the list of forum fangames, Pokemon Redemption and Pokemon Distrust also have demos. Aegis does too but it's discontinued so idk if you count that.

Oh, I forgot about Distrust and Redemption (although StarryD doesn't seem to be activw...) I might put Aegis but say it's discontinued, idk. I'll fix it when I get to a computer.

• 2 weeks later...

Yay :D

Also what a coincidence, there is a fangame named Gaia. That was the name of that project of mine that failed all the way back in 2012, but it looks like this one is completely unrelated.

Is the pokemon gaia you mentioned back then and that I searched, and I have played (twice now lol). Is one of the best rom hacks ever in my opinion, in the way that the creator, sphericalice, has found the way to code into it ALL pokemon (and I mean all, from bulbasaur to hoopa), plus various gen 4+ abilities and moves, and more that are yet to come. The story is not too developed yet, but frankly, being able to have a clefable with wonder guard that works in a hack of firered is enough joy for me. My fav hack rom in par with Glazed.

• 3 months later...
  • Developers

I'd like to see a game where you play as an evil character for once. Like starting as a grunt in some evil team or as a cultist in twisted religious group. Then slowly making progress to become an Admin or even later the Boss. Do you know any pokemon fangame like that?