What Does Your Name Mean?

Sky - the colours in the sky are really pretty~

Runner - I'm always in a hurry, to the point where it means practically nothing if I hurry for someone. If someone can get me to slow down slightly, then I care about them.

61 (for my server name) - the last two digits of square numbers where the number being squared % 50 == 31, the eighteenth prime number, a number I really like

• Replies 160
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Mine is a nickname granted to me by some jerk. It was in 10th grade when we were discussing different genres of music

and when I told I mostly listen to rock/metal (with a preference for rock) that one guy re-named me to Mäddler,

since it, at least if you can understand a Franconian (Part of Bavaria, Germany) accent, means Metalhead.

He tried to annoy me with that, but since you can't really call that an insult I just didn't care, yet somehow

more and more people started to call me by that name and it sort of stuck.

Guess you can't always choose your nicknames, huh. Anyways, I don't really mind the name and I

occassionally use it as alias in games. As I used in in Alpha Sapphire I thought it'd be fitting to

use it in here as well.

• 2 weeks later...

Okay so i'm an idiot and didn't know this thread existed. RIP.

Cowtao is a pun on both words with a sort of irony. Cows are typically Black and White while the symbol for Taoism also feature these colors in a sort of spottish way. It essentially is the peace and tranquility of cows as all they usually do is not bother people while eating bails of wheat and mooing.

Okay so i'm an idiot and didn't know this thread existed. RIP.

Cowtao is a pun on both words with a sort of irony. Cows are typically Black and White while the symbol for Taoism also feature these colors in a sort of spottish way. It essentially is the peace and tranquility of cows as all they usually do is not bother people while eating bails of wheat and mooing.

You can't not like this guy. I love your reasoning.

Except they bother me when I'm passing a huge farm and it smells awful. Also, they're emitting CO2.

Actually, cows produce methane. But once it's in the atmophere it reacts with other chemicals, which can result in the creation of both carbon dioxide and ozone as a side process.

I don't think I've posted here before, but hmm

Some years ago, on a different forum, someone posted a "game" that would give you your 'superhero name', and basically it was like this: First word of the last movie you watched + favourite animal = name

I'd been watching LotR, and my favourite animal is the amazilia hummingbird, so I ended up with "Lord Amazilia". I liked the sound of that, so I changed the ending a bit and made my username "Lord Amazilion".

Later shortened it to just Amazilion. But pretty much everyone just called me Ama, and I've grown so used to it that I like it much better than my birth name. (Which is also why I picked Amalia as a middle name. No, really, I don't like my birth name.)

I still usually go by Amazilion, but just because Ama tends to be taken.

My showdown name, Amadun, is just a combination of Ama + the beginning of the last name of one of my characters.

Please tell me that word choice was intentional!

Anyway for me it is simple. Initials, year of birth.

Kinda :P

But the point is still what i mean.

Because wasteland is well wasteland. Where everything will be forgotten and wasted in the end.

Which this topic isn't fitting for tbh.

But... Carbon dioxide isn't harmful right? x.x plants take up CO2 to make oxygen, don't they?? Humans exhale it, right??? CO2 IS PRODUCED FROM THE BURNING OF CARBON-BASED SUBSTANCES IN AN EXCESS OF OXYGEN RIGHT???? METHANE IS CH4!!! RIGHT?!?!...... Big dif.

But... Carbon dioxide isn't harmful right? x.x plants take up CO2 to make oxygen, don't they?? Humans exhale it, right??? CO2 IS PRODUCED FROM THE BURNING OF CARBON-BASED SUBSTANCES IN AN EXCESS OF OXYGEN RIGHT???? METHANE IS CH4!!! RIGHT?!?!...... Big dif.

Not sure if you're being serious or joking, but whether or not something is harmful always depends on the amount and also on where it is found.

CO2 itself isn't necessarily harmful - like you said, plants take it in during photosynthesis and produce Oxygen in that process.

CO2 in the atmosphere absorbs and emits thermal radiation, which, in itself, is a good thing, because without this "greenhouse effect", temperatures down here would be much colder than they are. However, if the amount of greenhouse gases increases, it also results in an increase of temperatures, as a higher concentration of these gases means that more energy is radiated back towards Earth's surface, instead of "escaping" back into space.

Different gases are able to absorb different forms of radiation, based on its wavelength. For example, CO2 is able to absorb radiation that a different gas, water vapor, does not.

Besides CO2 and water vapor, other notable greenhouse gases include Methane, Ozone, CFCs and Nitrous oxide.

Each of these gases has a different residence time in the atmosphere; water vapor having one of the shortest (with only about nine days), whereas nitrous oxide takes about 114 years.

Now, ozone is a gas that is very much welcome in the Stratosphere, where it forms the ozone layer that protects us from ultraviolet radiation. But down in the Troposphere, it's a very potent greenhouse gas with a long residence time, and also a dangerous pollutant.

Not only is it something you reeeally don't wanna breathe in, but it's also been observed that a higher concentration of ground-level ozone can stunt plant growth, which negatively affects crop yield, making it an agricultural hazard.

So if the atmosphere gets filled with a higher concentration of greenhouse gases, which might have a long residence time there, the result is a rise in Earth's mean temperature as time goes on. And it just so happens that human activity on the planet amplifies this effect.

Admittedly, chemistry is not my strongest point, so as for the reactions between Methane and other atmospheric particles, you'd be better off looking it up than relying on anything I might say *flails*

I'll throw in Wiki because it's easiest, but you get the idea x)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Atmospheric_methane#Removal_processes

• 3 months later...

Oh, this is nice. Anyway, 'Viridescent' quite literally means 'green', but rather a kind of lush, verdant colour as of forests in the rain~

I got poetic, didn't I. Nevermind. As for my alias, Aika called me 'biri' instead of 'viri' and Colin turned it into the similar-sounding Babiri Berry. :/

Well, I used to be called a different, very meaningless name on stuff but when i first started minecraft i figured that i needed a cooler, catchier name so i got a song i had stuck in my head called Witch Doctor. since that name was obviously taken, i had to get creative and change some letters up, hence wytch_doctr. creative, i know.

"Chase" is an English male surname that was often given as a nickname to huntsmen.

This name is appropriate to me, because my actual first name, is Hunter - the outright English occupational surname given to those who were responsible for bringing live game back to the village.

Well... It's long, and probably doesn't make any sense, despite being simple.

My favorite type of Pokemon is electric (ironic, considering I generally use fire, but whatever), and I wanted to base a username off of that. Batteries are commonly associated with electronics, but Lithium, probably the most widely-known cathode constituent for a battery just... seriously, as a username? No. LiCoO contains Cobalt, however, and that's got a decent ring to it, so I went with that... and promptly found it taken in several places. Now, adding a number to the end of your name is serious business, so I decide to avoid using generic things like birth year, I wanted to keep it to 3 characters, with no sevens so it's three syllables when said individually. Cobalt is element no. 27, whose square root is 3. Adding one to both of them makes them both divisible by four. 1000 - 4 = 996... which lined up with [1]996 anyways. Would have been 1000 - [(27 + 1) / 4 - (3 + 1)], but that contains a seven... so, Cobalt996.

Ironically get called "Kobold" by a few people who probably do not know why Cobalt is called Cobalt.

• 2 weeks later...

Kortz came from a day I was playing SSB with a friend and I hadn't played on his Wii before so I had/wanted to make an account but King Ortiz didn't actually fit so I shorted it in a way that it would sound good and it could fit

And about King Ortiz, it actually came from some past holidays where with some friends we would play Age Of Empires 2 like a lot, so I wanted a name that would stick with the game, and well I guess you could say that in Age Of Empires you're a king and my surename is Ortiz so yeah thats it xD

Although I haven't used those two much (I've only used Kortz that time in SSB and now in Reborn), there's another name that I created while playing either Dungeon Siege or Diablo 2 or Adventure Quest like when I was about 12 years old, and the name was Medoreth which is a name I really like since it basically came to me out of nowhere and I feel it sounds good so I'm sort of proud of it, so in case anybody played AQ and saw somebody called Medoreth theres a high chance it was me since I've never even seen it being used

And my real name (Lucas) means Bringer of Light or something like that and my second name is Nicolas which means The Victory of the People or something so yeah I feel they also sound really good together xD

Hard to explain, I've always believed the number four was my lucky number, so I've always tried to have a name with four letters, or something referencing the number four. And I have four names on my birth certificate actual name is Jeff Ryan(teacher got to calling me that cause they were confused on which name to call me by in high school cause four names.) As for Lits? I dunno, just something that came to mind and had four letters, so why not?

My name is a very clever combination of words.

1. My Scalesona, an alligator, has been named Feral now for some years.

2. In recent years, Feraligatr literally rocketed to my number one favorite spot

3. I wanted a new username away from my old one, and wanted one that emphasized my scalesona

4. Bam FeralGator was born

My name has double meaning.

1. My scale sona, an alligator, is named Feral

2. Feral + Gator = Feraligatr, my favorite Pokemon

AIN'T I CLEVER?