Pokemon Super Mystery Dungeon

BBD

Just wondering, how does Super Mystery Dungeon compare to the other games? I played the Rescue Team and Explorers. I didn't play Gates to Infinity, but I've heard people were disappointed with GTI. Would you recommend?

Edit: Now that I've made it a little bit farther it starts out kind of slow introducing all the mechanics and such, but again, the story is a little bit different than the other Mystery Dungeons and I really kind of like it so far. They kept a lot of the Gates Gameplay, but they also have a spin of their own. I can honestly recommend it easily for any mystery dungeon lover as imo, the story starts out a bit better than the other 3 especially with its fun ways of foreshadowing.

The AI is a little crappy, but it does a decent job (and let's admit it, the AI really ain't so good in any of the mystery dungeon games). It's definitely difficult even in the first few points, but it you know how to use items you won't really struggle that much early on. My only gripe is that the one none attack move only does 5 damage (I wish it was still like a weak tackle instead) which forces you to use moves for KOs. It's a little more forgiving on the moves part as their are lower grade versions of items from previous MD games like reviver seeds and Max elixirs which are pretty common...until you actually need them.

I can't really fully give a comparison between explorers and super yet as the beginning is LOOOONGGG, but in a good way. It's definitely better than Rescue team and I could argue the story starts out better than explorers even. Dungeons are back to being more Explorer style with big rooms instead of Gates all the same size rooms. The pros outweigh the cons so if you liked a previous dungeon game, I'd pick it up.

• Replies 253
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I like this game so for,certainly at chapter 11 and damn first 10 chapter did a lot of story development,in my opinion tje AI is more intelligent than the other game it know where to stand and attack not just sit and watch player fight and they always go and pick up item for us and the difficulty is hard the mave that suppose to be super effective did like 18 or something not like in the previous game that you're so op that you one shot everything and the therw's no 100% accuracy too which really annoy me a lot but it's doesn't mean I don't like this game this might be the best MD game they've ever make

Question before I start to discuss some stuff, has anyone else beat this game yet?

I just beat the main game now for the post game

Edit:so I guess some people already done with main game so what do you think of this game?is this the best PMD game? I think so but it's not better than EOS but I would say it's the at the same level as EOS,they like to do so many different thing with this game and it's really cool

Edited by BBD

I'm currently at chapter 6 and so far having fun. It does indeed feel a bit harder because your accuracy is bad, I remember I forgot to take out my items from the deposit box once and ended up failing to a razor-winding heliolisk :X BUT good thing in this game, you are able to rescue yourself as well as request rescue from others

I finished the main story and I have to say that I heartily enjoyed it. The beginning was a little slow, but once it picks up, holy hell does it. At first I was a little worried since I had recruited Victini before even leaving the starting town, but as others have stated, everyone outside of you and your partner are story locked since the 1- the game wants to remain difficult and 2- the game occasionally provides you will party members that are sometimes 20 or 30 levels above you. While this may seem like easy mode, because they default to the back of your party and the fact that the wild Pokémon can still rather easily defeat them, all it does is help you a little bit since the main weight of the party is still on you are party leader. You also can't swap party leader in these dungeons to prevent you from ditching yourself at the gate. You can find Reviver Seeds in nearly ever dungeon to help make you through and the Emeras are incredibly useful to help you out as well. It is possible to have a steady supply of easy Reviver Seeds to help you cheese your way through dungeons, but I wouldn't recommend it. Keep a healty supply of them in the bank just in case you need them. though.

All in all, I really liked the game and it remained difficult for the most part.Ironically. the easiest part of the game was the final boss fight, though, so I gotta take off points for that.

damn just started to get to the point where you start taking assignments and that salamence quest tho, used about 6 revival seeds fighting it then realized i could just spam the sleep wand on it, at least i recruited it and am now beasting through dungeons with a level 50 salamence,,,

damn just started to get to the point where you start taking assignments and that salamence quest tho, used about 6 revival seeds fighting it then realized i could just spam the sleep wand on it, at least i recruited it and am now beasting through dungeons with a level 50 salamence,,,

This right here, I did the exact same thing xD

except I found the fact that you recruit a lv50 salamence when your team is only lv 12ish ridiculous so I never use it

I finished the main story and I have to say that I heartily enjoyed it. The beginning was a little slow, but once it picks up, holy hell does it. At first I was a little worried since I had recruited Victini before even leaving the starting town, but as others have stated, everyone outside of you and your partner are story locked since the 1- the game wants to remain difficult and 2- the game occasionally provides you will party members that are sometimes 20 or 30 levels above you. While this may seem like easy mode, because they default to the back of your party and the fact that the wild Pokémon can still rather easily defeat them, all it does is help you a little bit since the main weight of the party is still on you are party leader. You also can't swap party leader in these dungeons to prevent you from ditching yourself at the gate. You can find Reviver Seeds in nearly ever dungeon to help make you through and the Emeras are incredibly useful to help you out as well. It is possible to have a steady supply of easy Reviver Seeds to help you cheese your way through dungeons, but I wouldn't recommend it. Keep a healty supply of them in the bank just in case you need them. though.

All in all, I really liked the game and it remained difficult for the most part.Ironically. the easiest part of the game was the final boss fight, though, so I gotta take off points for that.

Wait. You did a terrible job of explaining how this isn't easy mode.

Alright, I've nearly reached the end and this is kind of going to be the best possible review as I remain on neutral ground. There's a ton a like about the game, but there's also a ton of cons to the game where I personally think it is not as good as explorers main game wise (I haven't hit the ending though). I'm nearly at the end of the main story so my thoughts on the story may change a bit. I'll start with my personal pros and positive notes of the game followed by the cons (I'll put them in a spoiler since they can get very spoilery, but I'll keep it quite subtle).

Pros:

-The dungeons are much more difficult and you will rarely ever defeat an enemy in one hit which promotes strategy and item usage, but the story is a bit forgiving in this aspect, but is far from easy

-The recruit system is very well done. It replaces the job system, but recruiting Pokemon is much easier and can be a lot of fun (imo, it's better than the old system)

-Money is a little bit more difficult to get, but almost everything is free or really cheap so money should never really be a problem making you spend you savings a little more carefully

-Items like Petrify Orbs and Reviver Seeds are easy to come by to help make up for the difficulty as you will need them, especially for boss battles

-Legendries and late game bosses are more or less immune to status conditions forcing players to find other ways than to cheese their way through. Some bosses/mission bosses can be quite challenging as well.

-There is a bigger variety in missions and there is no limit to how many a player can hold. I've done five missions in one dungeon though that was some type of hell.

-Non story dungeons allow you freedom to choose any set of Pokemon and you can change the leader freely

-Team attacks are quite powerful and fun and are especially useful on bosses

-The partner fainting does not mean the end of a dungeon or wipe (best idea ever)

-The story is quite solid and lives up to the Mystery Dungeon name

Overall:

I think Super Mystery Dungeon is a complete package as dungeons can be quite fun. Many of the new mechanics are well thought out and the game feels fresh compared to Gates lackluster gameplay. People who used brute force to get through dungeons may struggle a lot and those who are quite skilled with items will even find certain points in the game they struggle. Super really did fix everything wrong with the Gates making the game have a really good comeback.

Now for my personal Cons:

-The story starts off very slow and then mashes everything interesting up into a very small segment of the game. The beginning is very, very well done, but the rest is kind of meh due to pacing problems.

-The plot twist can be seen from a mile away for anyone familiar with the PMD games. I won't say anything about it, but I managed to predict it due to playing too many of them. Still I feel it would've been better if they didn't jam the good parts of the story all in like an hour segment.

-The story takes priority and really limits your freedom to do anything in the game and forces you to go through long segments of story dungeons for about every one or two free ones (unlike Explorers and Rescue who gave you almost complete freedom).

-While the Uber Powerful Pokemon can breeze through dungeons, sometimes middle area ones can go on vacation to making for some inconvenient situations early on, but makes them almost completely useless later in the game.

-leveling in the story is very slow making you always feel so week (I'm at Lv 22 and I'm near the end game...which in previous dungeon games you were in the 40s). This almost makes grinding very tedious, and pretty much hurts some Pokemon's usage.

-The three party system is kind of a disappointment considering they found ways to make 7, yes 7, Pokemon fight in a dungeon with you.

-The level up move system is a neat idea, but the accuracy pretty much makes it very annoying...especially with the fact you have to use moves to do damage

-A certain dungeon is very brutal to the player

Overall:

Super shares the same fate as Gates as that it's really hard to replay all over just due to all the cons. The story is good and better than Rescue, but there are so many hurdles that make me prefer Rescue. Everything you do is very fixed due to forcing the story elements to come right away and the plot starts out very slow and doesn't pick up for a very long time. There are also points in the game where dungeons are either too easy or just straight up brutal. I pretty much had to completely restart a dungeon twice because I got trapped in a room with a Drifblim who one shotted my team and wiped me out 8 times each in a single hit. I wouldn't complain so much if you could grind, but YOU CAN'T GRIND IN THIS GAME! Again, there's just a lot of hurdles going through the story, but it's not as bad as Gates. I just am a bit upset because a lot of times I wanted to continue on side missions when I was forced to progress the story.

I know my cons may look bigger, but they are pretty evened out to the pros. I'd give the game 8/10 though I can highly recommend it to any Mystery Dungeon lover as it is good no matter what I say. The graphics and music are fantastic and the gameplay is very fun. TBH, I feel the story system is what kills replayability given your Pokemon are too weak to do anything half the time making you use the third party member just to make progress. It is a step in the right direction though and I'm hoping the post game delivers as this new recruiting system is kind of fun.

• Global Mods

I just finished chapter 5/started chapter 6. So far, I really enjoy the game. The new feature where you have those bracelets and look for those droplet-looking things (I forget what they're called) seems interesting, but I'm not sure if I'm using it right. Difficulty-wise it seems reasonably challenging. The Beedrill/Combee fight at the end of Nectar Meadow was intense. The story seems slow-paced for now, but I really enjoy all the interactions so I have no problem with the pace.

I'm a Fennekin and my partner is a Mudkip. We're level 11.

Gotta agree with you Commander, leveling up takes years in this game. Funny thing is I got lucky and had a chance in the very early beginning to buy the Joy Looplet (which helps you gain exp faster), but it costed 1500, I literally would have had to sell everything I had to get the money, becuase they really give you piss poor amounts of money in this game lol. Totally regretting not doing that now though lol, the Joy Looplet refuses to appear in the shop again.

Edit: OMG lol I just stole a Joy Looplet from the Keckleon Market, I was so freaking scared lmao, my whole team ended up dying tho and it cost me 3 reviver seeds and it was during the story too, so I would have had to do the whole dungeon over if I lost. High risk High reward

Edited by Milotic

So now that I finished the game, I can actually talk about story. There was a lot, I mean a lot of stuff that happened between my previous post and this post that I really should cover. I'm going to put this in a spoiler though I'm not going to spoil that much (or anything at all really):

I honestly think this story was kind of fresh. The partner is the best of the series though it feels like the PC took a plunge in immersion in exchange. I know a lot of people don't like Gates, but I think Gates had a really good story which is why I'll be using it a couple times for comparison. The beginning of Super had to be the perfect pace and setting up for the entire story. Like better than explorers kind of good. While it drag on from time to time, this honestly was one of the best segments of any PMD game.

The middle is kind of where things just die. When you're in the Wigglytuff Guild, there are points where you're supposed to advanced the plot, but you're given the option to do other things to grind on items, exp, etc. Super says nope to all of that making the plot go by a lot faster and...it's honestly not that interesting. Pokemon turning to stone...that's literally it for that whole entire section. It isn't until you actually return to Serene Village where things get interesting and none of the Expedition guild get any character development...like zero at all. Even in Time/Darkness, you could actually see what was happening in the background for some of the guild memebers like Loudred and Sunflora.

The end kind of redeems itself, but it's too little too late. Gates was able to slide by this as they didn't throw a bunch of random unexplained things while setting up their story. You literally have scenes of legendaries who don't even make an appearance in the story, except 3 main ones (and few more cameo like appearances). There are no legendary arcs either...so they all kind of appear out of nowhere. Actually, only 2.5 legendaries are even really characters at all. Gates again was able to slide by a lot of this because they didn't set up something grand that really wasn't. There were a lot of cool things that happened, but this was kind of a humongous info dump (like Explorer's future info dump but even bigger).

The very, very end does end on a high note though and it makes the journey all worth it (I will not spoil this). I just think this game had the worst pacing problem of any of the MD games which kind of makes it feel more rough and some parts just straight up unenjoyable. Sometimes you will want to lose dungeons so that you can gain levels otherwise you'll be around 25-30 for the finale (I was 25 actually). Super does have a solid story but EoS set such a high bar and it doesn't even come close though it is closer than Gates (except in the main comrades category). Just don't expect a legendary based story or Explorers and you'll enjoy it though.

This game's existence baffles me. By making a game where you explore the entire planet top to bottom, you kinda screw yourself over for the prospect of making future games. I mean, you can't just invent another continent anymore. Is this the end of Mystery Dungeon?

Question before I start to discuss some stuff, has anyone else beat this game yet?

Yup! Charizard, Swampert, and Gengar / Rotom is my main crew for going through dungeons.

I bring a squad with Multi-Hit Moves and Screech for bosses. Cincinno is amazing.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Global Mods

Anyone still having fun with this game? I got around to evolving my starters and then stopped playing becuase of finals week. Is the after game still fun?

I think the epilogue is the end of the story mode, but I'm not 100% sure. You can do all the expeditions, continue ranking up and recruit all the Pokemon. I'm still having fun.

Anyone still having fun with this game? I got around to evolving my starters and then stopped playing becuase of finals week. Is the after game still fun?

well I might stop playing this for sometime but not because I got bored of it,just because I nearly done with destiny tower,yep I'm nearly 100 percent done with this game all treasure collection and all Pokemon collect!I might come back to this when I want to in the future

I just realized I forgot to post my thoughts here after finishing the game..oh well, going to put this in a spoiler since some people have to wait for 2016 to play the game

Where to start... well, let's just list random points

1. personality quiz lacks diversity imo.. either that or I was extremely unlucky and always got mostly the same questions

2. Characters were overall nice and cool, each with their own quirks and stuff. Also Mawile <3

3. I liked the progression of the story from a new life you start with local villagers and then moving on to the "Big city" to continue the adventure. It may have felt slow but gave you enough time to get attached to characters

4. Speaking of pace... well I gotta say I didn't mind the seemingly slow plot development, but at some point it felt like they dragged things out for 17 chapters and rushed the remaining ones too much

5. Plot- I played and played and enjoyed the game..... until at some point they emphasized the sun. That's when reminiscent thoughts of gates hit me. I asked myself "is this going to be the fire version of the gates plot?" but the plot was clearly about turning pokemon to stone so I dismissed it at the time

5.5 - plot again- around the time they started speaking of dark matter , it simply hit me again that gates the same thing -

i.e. making you fight a retardedly easy dark ball of negativity instead of an actual boss pokemon..

gotta say it felt kinda recycled and I miss the bosses of old md games

6. Story events- I liked the twists, can't say I expected them, or at least most of them. Really liked the cutscenes around the end and the climax before the last dungeons. Characters really felt alive at that point.

7. Features- it improved on many things that gates lacked, but it also took away some good features that gates had. I specifically miss the fact you could grow your own seeds + the minigames ..also kinda miss the weather forecast altho that made game easy at times. Emeras and looplets were also pretty cool

7.5 more features and mechanics- i like that you need to use more strategy for battles in this game, i absolutely hate monster houses though. The overall difficulty is easily the hardest md game. Even the simplest requests sometimes feel like a nightmare to accomplish. I like the connection orb and recruiting, but I really hate the fact that you now "push" your teammates instead of switching with them automatically. I feel like they should have switched the buttons for when you push and when you switch places.

Overall impressions of the game- it was an exciting adventure, nice difficulty and characters, also music. It can not compare to explorers of sky, but what can? A bit disappointed about the semi-recycled plot for gates, but I guess they really are running out of ideas. Would still like to see more md games anyway

Definitely gonna replay some day