Help a Girl Out

Rosesong

So, we're slowly sinking into the summertime in the U.S., which has always been a bit of a problem for me, personally. I tend to get bored rather quickly without school keeping me on my toes. Apart from work and teaching, I have too much free time on my hands.

Normally I fill this free time with my most favorite pastime, reading. Alas, that's my problem-- I can't seem to find any interesting books anymore. So, I'm turning to you all for assistance in this matter. What sort of books can you recommend for reading pleasure so that I don't die of utter boredom?

In the spoiler tag is a list of series that I'm exceptionally fond of.

Warriors

The Hunger Games

Divergent

The Maze Runner

Harry Potter

So You Wanna Be a Wizard

Children of the Lamp

Books of Eva

Seraphina

I haven't read a good book in such a long time, mainly due to not being able to go to my library but oh well. Here are some that I can think of so far. I may add more later if I remember them.

The Chronicles of Vladmir Tod Series

Inheritance Series (Eragon)

Pendragon Series

Rangers Apprentice Series

Well reading books is fun and all, but I have some different suggestions. Maybe everyday you could go out for a walk or hang out with friends or just play a game. I like walking by myself as it gives me time alone with my own thoughts and I often make myself giggle and laugh a lot. Hanging out with friends keeps everything fun and enjoyable as there's just so much to do when there's another person with you. Playing games is also a nice escape, but it's not the best seeing as they could get boring fast. To me, I'm the opposite of you when it comes to reading/summer. I get bored of reading really quickly, but really enjoy Summer... Except for last Summer. I literally did nothing then :P Anyway books! Have you read anything like the Year of Secret Assignments? I was assigned to read it this year and class, and it really gives a nice change of pace through it's style. Plus some of the writing is really relatable. I don't like the genre it is, I much prefer books like you do yourself, but I actually liked this mostly due to how relatable it was to me and events in my life.

I absolutely adore I Am the Messenger. That one's brilliant.

The Alchemist was good. A lot more people seem to like it than I do.

The Things They Carried is a great, dramatic read. The Giver, too.

I should read more if this is all I've got.

• Support Squad

Dresden files everytime. You got magic, you got a witty narrator, you got a whole clusterfuck of monsters from any number of mythologies and folklore as well as a lot of supernatural stuff to boot. And pop culture references out the ass.

I've also started reading the spook series. Set in something similar to Britain at the time when witches were genuinely believed in and common trades were blacksmiths and farmers. Very interesting, if the cast of characters is limited.

I've got a friend who suffers from the same problem and this summer I'm getting her to experience the wide world of nerds and internet fanatics. Also a LOT of netflix.

Hmm. If you like Warriors and don't mind books that are geared towards, well, that kind of age group, maybe you could give Varjak Paw a try, for all your fighting kitty needs.

Other than that, have you read the Kyralia/Sonea series by Trudi Canavan (The Magicians' Guild, The Novice, etc.)?
That'd be two trilogies (with the second being a sequel to the first), and a prequel (The Magician's Apprentice) that is set some hundred years before.
I love it a lot because I'm a sucker for stories with magic, but the story's cool. The second trilogy especially was really neat.

Magic, thieves, gray morality, problems with corrupt governments, classism, sexism, it's got it all.

• Support Squad

ohohoh, aother one I forgot, The Mageborn series is fantastic. You start with a 16 year old mordecai, recently finding his magical powers and you follow him as he comes into his own as a lord of the realm, husband and father. As well as fighting evil Gods.

HURRYY PERTTERRR:DD

J. K. released three comic relief HP books a few years ago but you might have already read them ("The Tales Of Beedle The Bard", "Quidditch Through The Ages" and "Fantastic Beasts And Where To Find Them"? Beedle The Bard and Quidditch Through The Ages are my favourite of the three but they're incredibly short books and they're only trivia as well so, they won't last for the entirety of the summer holidays)

I started reading a series called CHERUB back when I was in Middle School but I never got a chance to finish the series because of exams. From what I remember it was pretty good but I think[?] you might enjoy it. You'd have to read The Recruit before any other book though because the whole series is released chronologically in the story

I haven't read this yet but if you feel like reading something that'll rip your heart out then try The Fault In Our Stars *everybody groans*

I don't have time for reading very often nowadays because priorities :/ But these are a few that stick in my mind. As Chubb suggested you can try the Percy Jackson series which personally I love, but yeah

oh and there's also the pokemon manga- *gets shot*

EDIT: Ninja'd, because inb4 Eragon<3

Edited by Guest

• Support Squad

One day I have to read The fault in our stars. I have a very strong feeling that in comparison to a few choice movies, shows and books I've experienced it really won'r hold up.

If you like harry potter, then perhaps you will also like the Northern Lights trilogy (Golden Compass etc.). Don't watch the movie, that thing was botched.
Similar to that, the Eragon series had that stroke of bad luck, too. You can try those too, they seem to be pretty good.

Well reading books is fun and all, but I have some different suggestions. Maybe everyday you could go out for a walk or hang out with friends or just play a game. I like walking by myself as it gives me time alone with my own thoughts and I often make myself giggle and laugh a lot. Hanging out with friends keeps everything fun and enjoyable as there's just so much to do when there's another person with you. Playing games is also a nice escape, but it's not the best seeing as they could get boring fast. To me, I'm the opposite of you when it comes to reading/summer. I get bored of reading really quickly, but really enjoy Summer... Except for last Summer. I literally did nothing then.

Pyrr, there are certain circumstances that prevent me from taking walks or doing anything outdoors during the summer, though I do love the idea. Whenever my friends are in town, we're always going to see movies, normally with some games involved afterward.

Hmm. If you like Warriors and don't mind books that are geared towards, well, that kind of age group, maybe you could give Varjak Paw a try, for all your fighting kitty needs.

I read Varjak Paw so long ago, it and the sequel were phenomenal books~

J. K. released three comic relief HP books a few years ago but you might have already read them ("The Tales Of Beedle The Bard", "Quidditch Through The Ages" and "Fantastic Beasts And Where To Find Them"? Beedle The Bard and Quidditch Through The Ages are my favourite of the three but they're incredibly short books and they're only trivia as well so, they won't last for the entirety of the summer holidays)

I haven't read this yet but if you feel like reading something that'll rip your heart out then try The Fault In Our Stars *everybody groans*

oh and there's also the pokemon manga- *gets shot*

I have indeed read the Harry Potter spinoff books; they were... certainly something, lol. The Fault in our Stars I read after seeing the movie though personally, both could/should have been way more heartwrenching than they were. As for manga, I've never particularly been a fan...

Thank you all for the suggestions, I'm definitely going to give all of these a try!~

Ah, something else that comes to my mind for animal-centered books: the Farthing Wood series by Colin Dann.
There's an animated series of it, too (grew up with it and love it! <3), but the books are great, I've read them over and over.
It's seven books, starting with The Animals of Farthing Wood.

oh man -rubs hands-

this is the right question to ask me.

Dobby and Kuro have the right ideas. the Dresden Files (and the Codex Alera for that matter) by Jim Butcher, and the Kingkiller Chronicle by Patrick Rothfuss are great. read them. now. go to the nearest library or bookstore right now and track them down. you won't regret it. (except for maybe Kingkiller Chronicle, but that's because Rothfuss takes forever to write his books.)

i like some of the other suggestions. PJO/HoO are a good read, especially if you don't mind that they're aimed towards younger readers. Simon's got some good ones too -- i've read all but Vladimir Tod, and i personally didn't like Eragon that much (though i read the whole series), but i'm sure you'll like them.

personally, i really like Brandon Sanderson's books. you should try those out. others i liked... well, based on the series you've mentioned, have you read Legend by Marie Lu yet? there's also the Virals series by Kathy Reichs, literally everything written by Terry Pratchett, and i also enjoyed Uncaged by John Sandford, but i haven't read any of his other books. The Book Thief is also great. (and you've read the Young Wizards series, nice.)

i'm sure i could think up more if i tried, but this is a massive list already if you take into account the fact that i recommended everything Terry Pratchett's written (which is a lot). :] if you can specify what kinds of things you liked in books, too, i could probably help out more.

If you can specify what kinds of things you liked in books, too, i could probably help out more.

I can most certainly oblige with that. I'm a fan of mystery, magic, dystopian, fantasy genres... But there are also some books that I love that don't meet any of these, like Snow Flower and the Secret Fan and some of Jodi Picoult's works. I've read most, if not all, of the Nancy Drew, Hardy Boys, Jigsaw Jones, Encyclopedia Brown, and Sherlock Holmes books to expound a bit on the mystery side of things.

I can most certainly oblige with that. I'm a fan of mystery, magic, dystopian, fantasy genres... But there are also some books that I love that don't meet any of these, like Snow Flower and the Secret Fan and some of Jodi Picoult's works. I've read most, if not all, of the Nancy Drew, Hardy Boys, Jigsaw Jones, Encyclopedia Brown, and Sherlock Holmes books to expound a bit on the mystery side of things.

my brain's not cooperating with me at the moment, so i'm having a tough time remembering what books i've read. uvu" but the Chaos Walking series and More Than This by Patrick Ness, the Unwind Dystology and Skinjacker Trilogy by Neal Shusterman, and most things by Scott Westerfeld were pretty good when i read them. Chris Crutcher is also a good author, although i've only read one of his books so far (Staying Fat for Sarah Byrnes). he's realistic fiction, though. and if you don't mind some steampunk, there's also the Finishing School series by Gail Carriger, which takes place in the same universe as some of her other books.

also, i second Ark's earlier suggestions. i've read and enjoyed both I Am the Messenger (by the same author as The Book Thief) and The Giver. :]

kingkiller chroniclesssssss

I got one for ya. I've actually been going on a site called "chooseyourstory.com" and it's a pretty good site for blowing away a few hours at a time. The site is dedicated to CYOAs (choose yer own adventure). There's an array ranging from zombie stories, to fanfiction ones, to an awful lot of fantasy ones.

The higher quality ones are actually sometimes scripted depending on your choices, I.E - a zombie story would tell you you got mauled Iin a room full of zombies, since you didn't grab a pistol in the last room, and you could have survived had you grabbed it.

Nothing else I can really throw out, except the Silverwing series and Airborn series by Kenneth Oppel. They're some interesting reads.