Help a Girl Out

Rosesong

• Administrators

seconding the howl's moving castle series

also i really adore Tanith Lee's Tales of the Flat Earth, but they read more like fairy tales than like a normal book, so that could be hit or miss for you.

Based on your interests listed, a very highly recommend you ready "The Colour of Magic" by Terry Pratchett. This is the first book in a very long series of novels (41 if memory serves me correctly) in the Discworld series. If you're read and enjoy this book, you'll love the entire series as a whole.

Other recommendations:

"The Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy" - Douglas Adams

- Very funny and satirical read. Watching the movie also helps puts faces to the names, though it's vastly inferior.

"The God of Small Things" - Arundhati Roy

- Great read, if not heartbreaking. It has some disturbing themes, but the book is very sobering.

"The Dark Tower Series" - Stephen KIng.

- He himself considers this his Magnum Opus. I suggest starting the series with it's first novel, "The Gunslinger", to see if the themes fit your motif.

And of course, The Lord of the Rings series by J.R.R. Tolkien will always hold a special place in my heart. I make it my business to read those books at least once a year.

You ever try just picking up one of those big old books of classic authors and stuff at Barnes & Noble? I work there and I have a few of them "The Complete Grimm's Fairytales", a huge book of H.G. Wells collections (if you're into sci-fi), and "Tales from the Arabian Nights" <-(literally my favorite book of all time). Those things keep me busy for days...

Given your list, I would push the Artemis Fowl series. It's a fun, funny series centered around a child genius with a penchant for crime. Cuz you know, it runs in his mafia-like family. He figures out that fairies exist and hatches a scheme to get their gold. It's quite the easy, humorous read, but I had them as audio books for the long trips between home and college.

Other than that, I got my other favorites for your perusal.

The Darkness series by Harry Turtledove- WWII on magic. Dragons, leviathans, and behemoths, oh my!

World War Series by Harry Turtledove- WWII, with invading aliens tossed into the mix. Don't worry, it isn't solved with the War of the Worlds twist.

umm... yeah, Turtledove is famous an 'alternate history' writer. Which means he plays around with the What If's. What the South won independence in the civil war? What if you took the main concepts and conflicts in WWII and put them in a parallel fantasy setting (leviathans are subs, dragons instead of jet fighters, etc). What if aliens invaded during WWII? Superior tech wielded by inferior numbers, a species whose only knowledge of war and tactics come from texts about historical events thousands and thousands of years in their past- vs an entire world of human nations already armed and at each others throats?

The Farseer Trilogy- follows the bastard of a royal line who inherit a magic akin to telepathy that can connect with and influence other people

it actually stems from a symbiotic relationship between humans and dragons in the past but that's a side trilogy altogether

. But he also inherits another magic, one that is wrongly despised as base and corrupting- the ability to communicate with animals that comes with an awareness of life around him. As a bastard, he's valuable as an expendable member of the royal family but he's also a potential threat to those who would... skip the proper line of succession. Cue the court politics and conflicts with other nations and... yeah, totes one of my favorites of all time. Of all time. Poor Fitz.

Mystery?

Try anything by Agatha Christie, but a good start would be "And Then There Were None." One of her most famous works.

Her series starring the character Hercule Poirot easily rivals any Sherlock Holmes mystery and even had a show on PBS when I was kid that I would catch sometimes.

and damn, I wrote too much about books again.

I recently finished The Wheel of Time series by the late Robert Jordan (finished by Brandon Sanderson) and I thought that it was fantastic. The characters were incredibly believable and the world seemed almost real. It had a pretty interesting take on magic, too, which I haven't seen replicated yet. It's 14 books long (and a prologue) but if you have the time, I definitely recommend it.

Ember was pretty good because of the interesting take it had on dragons (if you like them) and I believe a sequel is out now or coming out soon.

This will probably be updated when it's not midnight because I definitely have more XD

I recently finished The Wheel of Time series by the late Robert Jordan (finished by Brandon Sanderson) and I thought that it was fantastic. The characters were incredibly believable and the world seemed almost real. It had a pretty interesting take on magic, too, which I haven't seen replicated yet. It's 14 books long (and a prologue) but if you have the time, I definitely recommend it.

Ember was pretty good because of the interesting take it had on dragons (if you like them) and I believe a sequel is out now or coming out soon.

This will probably be updated when it's not midnight because I definitely have more XD

A fantastic series indeed. Rand is a very well written character.

Which reminds me. I'd also recommend The Icewind Dale trilogy by R.A. Salvatore. It's very fantasy driven, but they're very easy to read and really capture your imagination.

Try anything by Agatha Christie, but a good start would be "And Then There Were None." One of her most famous works.

Her series starring the character Hercule Poirot easily rivals any Sherlock Holmes mystery and even had a show on PBS when I was kid that I would catch sometimes.

I do love And Then There Were None, fantastic book. I have read some of her works, mostly when I was in high school

I recommend Steelheart by Brandon Sanderson. It's the first book in a trilogy about a world where random people were granted superpowers, and a group of normal people needs to take down a super powered tyrant. The second book has also been released, by the way. Feel free to shoot me a PM if you want more info!

I wholeheartedly agree with Mael. Agatha Christie is my favorite author. Hercule Poirot is one of my favorite characters in literature of all time. If you haven't already, I suggest The Murder of Roger Ackroyd and Murder on the Orient Express, the latter of which was adapted to the screen which Mael might have seen. I also have a collection of 50 of her short stories that are great to read (some are from other collections like the labors of Hercules ones).

Anyway, Christie aside, my favorite series ever is the Sword of Truth series by Terry Goodkind. It's just... wonderful. It has all the fantasy you want from medieval-ish scenarios with magic and all that jazz, but it also has an exceptional plot and array of characters. The world is nice and extensive as well. Also, the books are pretty long, and there are about 11 of them I think. But it's not afraid to discuss more adult topics, which I think gives the world more depth and realism (I mean things like rape and the like).

A song of ice and fire? Certainly some of the most compelling books I've ever read.

I recommend A Song of Ice and Fire too and I really recommend reading Andrzej Sapkowski's The Wicther fantasy series and 3 video games have been made based on them. I don't know even how to English today so I apologize for possible grammar errors.