Cain

Tomy

He's a cool character/rival that's kinda like your best friend. He's my favorite character, along with his sister, Aya. Cain seemed like a very cheery person, imo. That all changes during the story when you go into his past.

Cain's my favorite character, though Megaterra makes a close second. They're both pretty silly(and that first meeting... xD), which is why I like them so much given the kind of region/story they're in.

I love Cain. He's cool, he's awesome, he's likable and he's a regular Disney princess. Perfect compliment for the mum, dull, stoic demeanored PC. He also has some GREAT lines. Especially towards Aya. "Use protection", or the part in Route 3 where Hardy goes ahead, Cain chats with Aya and promises he'll be gentle with Hardy. Pure gold.

The 2 things where Cain the Character fails are: he's singing too much, and we can hear it. Kinda kills the concept. And, he's very likable, Fernán is very unlikable but at the same time just a pathetic loser, and Victoria just can't get anything done. We don't have a really great rival to rival us, someone that combines unlikability, swagger, and power. No Blue or Silver for us. And Victoria has disappeared for years, Cain has admited that we've overcome him quite some time ago, and Fernán is same ol' pathetic Fernán.

Use protection.

something is giving me the feeling that something unforgivable and heartbreaking will happen to him in the near future or towards the end of the game as one of Ame's final attempts to rip the players' hearts out and crush them into oblivion :/

I just hope I'm wrong, even if it adds more heartbreak to the game

I get this feeling with pretty much every character to be honest .-.

Like, we're getting all these bits and pieces of backstories than make them so relatable and sympathetic, and damn, the character development in Reborn really hits me every time, because it doesn't feel forced, it doesn't feel bad - it's good. It makes me want to pick every single character up and wrap them in a blanket. Maybe give them hot chocolate and some cookies.

I love the characters of Reborn. But I know there's bound to be more death and misery, and thus I sit fearing for the future of my favourites.

Then again, so far the execution of the story has been great, so I'll put my trust in Ame not to drift into "kill 'em all just 'cause I can" territory.

Because few things disappoint me more than character deaths that basically just demonstrate to us that yes, the author can do it.

Cain's one of my faves (though not in my Top 5). I really appreciate him for how often he brightens up things in the story.

Unpopular opinion time, but I absolutely despise Terra. She's been annoying me since she first appeared, and is the one character in this game who janked me out of my immersion in the story and reminded me that I'm really just... playing a game.

I get it that she's supposed to bring some more lighthearted entertainment into things, what with her "It's summer on /b/" attitude.

But for me personally, it just didn't work.

Cain, on the other hand, is a character who (IMO! I really don't wanna offend anyone who likes Terra, please don't hate me) fits very well into the story, and when he does/says something to lighten the mood, it does the trick.

I'm glad when he shows up, and I'm glad how he managed to be both a funny character and avoid being comic relief.

Cain is that guy who I'd describe as like a brother-best-friend to my player character. I'd miss him dearly, so I hope he'll stay with us.

Yeah; if you're someone who doesn't mind being reminded that it's just a game, then Terra is probably a wonderful character, but I'm someone who really likes to lose themselves in the world and story, and Terra just pulled me right out of that, which made me dislike her right away.
As far as the execution of her concept goes, she's great, no doubt.

Just not my cup of tea.

Tbh I have made zero efforts to find out who they're supposed to be based off, for pretty much the reason I stated above. I'd start looking for more information about the real person so I could try to predict the development of the characters, and that might make things less enjoyable for me.

I have a bad feeling The Asshat Fern is going to kill Cain....

Edit: Or Fern comes out as gay( which would be hilarious for his character) and kidnaps Cain... ( I think I just made fanfic....)

Edited by Ganolth

That really was interesting to listen to.
Considering how new I am, I still have a LOT to learn about the backgrounds for some things, so thanks for linking those videos~
It certainly explains the character development and personalities for a lot of characters.
(Though if I got that correctly from the second video, most of the Meteors are not based on actual people, but were made up?
And damn, I adore those characters.)
So does that mean the eventual fate of the characters is completely decided by what happened to the people they were based off, or are there going to be divergences? (For example, characters dying even though their real life counterparts did not?)
I'm trying to wrap my mind around the line between how far Reborn re-tells their stories, and where it is purely a made-up story.
(Besides the nature of being a Pokemon game.)

And I feel strange talking about this, because it seems like such a sensitive topic. So if it's not something that's meant to be discussed, just tell me.
I'm curious, but I don't want to mess with anyone's emotions.

That really was interesting to listen to.

Considering how new I am, I still have a LOT to learn about the backgrounds for some things, so thanks for linking those videos~

It certainly explains the character development and personalities for a lot of characters.

(Though if I got that correctly from the second video, most of the Meteors are not based on actual people, but were made up?

And damn, I adore those characters.)

So does that mean the eventual fate of the characters is completely decided by what happened to the people they were based off, or are there going to be divergences? (For example, characters dying even though their real life counterparts did not?)

I'm trying to wrap my mind around the line between how far Reborn re-tells their stories, and where it is purely a made-up story.

(Besides the nature of being a Pokemon game.)

And I feel strange talking about this, because it seems like such a sensitive topic. So if it's not something that's meant to be discussed, just tell me.

I'm curious, but I don't want to mess with anyone's emotions.

You have a nice imagination..

It's fine, I finished what's released of the game so far c:

From what I've gathered in the second video, Ame said that someone on the forums came up with the Meteor characters, so I'm gonna assume that includes the Admins (since the majority of the grunts don't have elaborate stories to them anyway yet).

The characters are what I love so much about the game, so naturally I find it interesting to learn what inspired them, even though it also intimidates me a bit. Not like THAT is a difficult feat to perform...

I figured that the things that did happen to the actual people will show up in the game, but I'm curious about things that did not happen. Meaning, how much freedom is being taken to come up with additional plot.

I normally try to predict plot/character development from a regular writer's perspective, but that changes when characters are not made-up.

Just realized this is derailing the original topic, hnng. Apologies.

Point still stands, though, I hope we won't see Cain die or worse

I've grown rather attached to the pretty boy.

I've always liked Cain. He makes all the lame jokes and suggestive comments, but he always tries to stay positive and he's spontaneous. His character feels fresh for the Reborn universe and I'll forever cherish Cain as a dear friend, hope nothing happens to him

P.S. @ Ama : You're not alone, I also strongly dislike Terra's character, probably because I find her dialogue terribly annoying, and she barely makes sense. She's just the kind of person I'd dislike if I had to deal with on the internet.

Edited by Masquerain

P.S. @ Ama : You're not alone, I also strongly dislike Terra's character, probably because I find her dialogue terribly annoying, and she barely makes sense. She's just the kind of person I'd dislike if I had to deal with on the internet.

That makes 3 of us then.

Cain is probably one of my favorite characters I don't see him as a rival to me he's just that friend that is always fun to be around and is cool to hang with but sometimes jokes around when it's least appropriate but thats one of the things that make him so likable.

Cain is cool and I bet you his favoriite candy is candy canes (for two reasons nudge nudge). I like Cain as a character. He's really kind and considerate of others as well. Even Aya even though he says he hates her.

Y'know, on the first go-around I didn't really like him as much. Like I'm standing here waiting for a trainer card and he comes in like "HEEEEYYYYY you're cute." If I were there I would have just stared at him with a stern face like: "Are you for real?"

Ame crafted Reborn to be a shit hole and she did a good job with that. I'm standing in the shit hole until he shows up with the most polar attitude ever. I'm trying to take this game seriously and he butts in. Honestly I'd be all ape-shit crazy like him if I lived in the bigger craphole of Byxbsion (prolly not spelling it right) with a bi-otch of an older sister and a looming Gym responsibility.

I hated him on the first playthrough most at Radomus' when the power goes out. He cracks a suggestive line when you should be on edge, and he just killed the tension.

All in all, Cain is finely crafted, but the question put forth was "what do YOU think about Cain" so now you know what I think.

Cain is certainly a better rival than Victoria that's for sure >> literally all she does is stand in your way when you absolutely have to do something. She doen't help either, unlike Cain who is willing to help others in need, like Shelly, Heather, Aya and the orphanage kids. Cain is just so sweet and I wish I could have him as a friend :[

You know the first time I heard the word pansexual I thought it meant they identified as a literal pan. That's just my literal thought process folks. This community has taught me so much.