My first steps into the world of Pokemon fan games...

Lord Bear

I have been playing Pokemon Game since I was six or seven. I am sixteen now and I only knew of this entire field/genre that is Pokemon fan games yesterday... ! /facepalm

Anywho, I played White/Black 2 a few month ago and was bored stiff because of the typical starting which is slow and also redundant because of Pokemon's popularity and ease.

Then a few weeks ago, I saw Uranium when I searched "Pokemon" on kickass.to. Searching for it led me to this seven year old project which is near completion. I believe that game sticks close to the formula while adding new features and employing new Pokemon exclusively.

Getting to the point [i am bad at excising, I don't know which thoughts aren't worth sharing. Its a problem, I know]:

Pokemon Reborn was on Kotaku's list of Pokefangames to try. After some searching, I decided to visit the site. Now, I want to try this game but I want to know how finished off is this game? 80%? 90%? Are all the areas and battles existent and only features/online fights pending or are massive chunks still outstanding? Also, is the difficulty really hair-pulling. Being a veteran [Maybe everyone who play these games are exactly those and stating it is of no value] I would assume it would be easier for me? Am I being naively foolish?

And, uh... if I find something useful, will it be removed; forcing me to restart from an older save? [A la the famous Gyarados episode.]

Is there any way to find Pokemon which you want? As I see it, the game employs a multitude of variability for Pokemon encounters - season and time of day -- this results in a lot of possibilities actually. My first choice would probably be finding me a Chasey [i've never played her but being a Tank she should be useful for this suicide game.]

As a Pokefangames veteran, which game would you recommend me to start my journey with? (I've not touched one for a year and found the games truly easy mode. I also came across the one Pokemon phenomena which was non-existent in my head. Who keeps only one and pumps him to max?! That's why I don't think the First Gym which is electricity (Is that another game?) should be easy with the Onyx that I can procure from the hobo [They are what they are!]):

1. Pokemon Uranium

2. Pokemon Zeta

3. Pokemon Reborn

4. Pokemon Insurgence

I believe No. 4 has a very deep story with its whole quintuple baddies.

[TL;DR - READ, impatient brat!]

Well I am not sure that I should be the one to answer your questions but I can try. I have played all of those except for Pokemon Uranium so I will only speak to the last 3.

Pokemon Zeta is completely finished with two distinct regions and many many hours of gameplay. It is not super difficult and has a pretty good story. I would personally you try this one first as it is the easiest of the three to pick up and play.

Pokemon Reborn is by far the hardest fan made game out of all of these, however I found it to be the most rewarding. Sometimes the game feels like it is out to get you however that makes victory all the more sweeter. It is not complete but you will pour many hours into the game before you get to the latest chapter. Again this game is far harder than the others ones so only do this one first if you are looking for a challenge.

Pokemon Insurgence is created by the same people who made Pokemon zeta/omicron. This is their second attempt at a fan made game and it shows in how the game feels polished. You are right about the quintuple baddies making for an interesting story. However this game is the most recent and this current release of the game is not super long. Only a few of the gyms have been released thus far. By no means am I saying don't play this one however you should keep in mind that it is shorter than the others.

• Administrators

The current release is Episode 14 out of 19 total. Each 'episode' is the content from one gym battle to the next, meaning with the last five episodes, that includes story sections and areas that are not yet in the game. Other content until that point is functional though.

The difficulty is intended to be reasonable, but challenging enough to require players to put some thought into it. I tend to agree with you about the main series being quite easy, so I think someone like you will do fairly well in Reborn.

Even if Pokemon are 'axed', existing parties and save files are not affected; all that's being changed is the method through which that pokemon is originally obtained.

The game doesn't feature seasons like Gen 5, but it does include day night and a semi-random weather system that affect encounters and overworld events respectively. There are also often other conditions to procure certain Pokemon, such as having a certain item. All of this is consistent though, so a player who really wants a certain Pokemon can reliably get it.

(although as of changes to E15 there's a higher randomness factor in the beginning of the game only. all pokemon are eventually obtainable regardless)

I'm just a liiiiiiiiiiittle biased as to which of those games is best to play, so I'll refrain from answering that~

Seeing as most of it has been answered already I'll just say that Pokemon Reborn was the first pokemon fangame that I ever played and unfortunately (or fortunately) it was so good that I haven't been able to play any other fangame. It set the bar too high, so I'd probably recommend starting with a different one but definitely coming back to this.

Oh and with regards to pokemon locations, ask (the right person, aka not Amethyst) and you shall receive. There's also a neat pokemon location guide here to help people out but it's not really all that useful to someone who doesn't know where any of the places are.

The current release is Episode 14 out of 19 total. Each 'episode' is the content from one gym battle to the next, meaning with the last five episodes, that includes story sections and areas that are not yet in the game. Other content until that point is functional though.

The difficulty is intended to be reasonable, but challenging enough to require players to put some thought into it. I tend to agree with you about the main series being quite easy, so I think someone like you will do fairly well in Reborn.

Even if Pokemon are 'axed', existing parties and save files are not affected; all that's being changed is the method through which that pokemon is originally obtained.

The game doesn't feature seasons like Gen 5, but it does include day night and a semi-random weather system that affect encounters and overworld events respectively. There are also often other conditions to procure certain Pokemon, such as having a certain item. All of this is consistent though, so a player who really wants a certain Pokemon can reliably get it.

(although as of changes to E15 there's a higher randomness factor in the beginning of the game only. all pokemon are eventually obtainable regardless)

I'm just a liiiiiiiiiiittle biased as to which of those games is best to play, so I'll refrain from answering that~

What Ame biased? Noooo. Anyeay we don't need seasons because of story progression. Personally I kike Victory Fire as a game it has some interesting components even if the dialog is a bit screwy. Some other good ones are Dark Rising and Snake wood. Welcome to our demented forum family

Call me a little sissy, but I blushed at praise from the game's creator. If I live up to it is a matter of time only. Although, needing a tank for the first time and also no HM slaves is a relieve. Finally, employing tank strategy should be fun. How about you tell which one from Zeta, Insurgence and Uranium is your favorite, Athe? (I just gave you a new nickname, congrats. No, your approval is inconsequential. Bears are a superior race.)

As a side-note, was dying in the first two fights a sign of bad luck or awful skill? [i tried just for the whole feel shebang]

And, how do these events work? In case of Nintendo, there's an entire marketing shebang. Is there a page somewhere on the Forums detailing all events? And I suppose these events are all manageable?

What I am trying to say is that for the first time I'll have [with enough perserverance] I'll be able to catch any Pokemon I want? No more silly trading or restricted paid events? I've always held a grudge against the trade mechanics. Oh where are you my beloved Alexander.

Seeing as most of it has been answered already I'll just say that Pokemon Reborn was the first pokemon fangame that I ever played and unfortunately (or fortunately) it was so good that I haven't been able to play any other fangame. It set the bar too high, so I'd probably recommend starting with a different one but definitely coming back to this.

Oh and with regards to pokemon locations, ask (the right person, aka not Amethyst) and you shall receive. There's also a neat pokemon location guide here to help people out but it's not really all that useful to someone who doesn't know where any of the places are.

Well, I obviously wouldn't ask about Pokemons before being at least one major city in. This game has Fly mechanics, no? Or for full masochist reasons they implemented a no Quick-travel policy?

I don't think Athe would answer any me at all. She must be a VERY busy woman with all her lead developing over Pokemon Reborn. Once in a while, she entertains us mere mortals.

Well I am not sure that I should be the one to answer your questions but I can try. I have played all of those except for Pokemon Uranium so I will only speak to the last 3.
Pokemon Zeta is completely finished with two distinct regions and many many hours of gameplay. It is not super difficult and has a pretty good story. I would personally you try this one first as it is the easiest of the three to pick up and play.

Pokemon Reborn is by far the hardest fan made game out of all of these, however I found it to be the most rewarding. Sometimes the game feels like it is out to get you however that makes victory all the more sweeter. It is not complete but you will pour many hours into the game before you get to the latest chapter. Again this game is far harder than the others ones so only do this one first if you are looking for a challenge.

Pokemon Insurgence is created by the same people who made Pokemon zeta/omicron. This is their second attempt at a fan made game and it shows in how the game feels polished. You are right about the quintuple baddies making for an interesting story. However this game is the most recent and this current release of the game is not super long. Only a few of the gyms have been released thus far. By no means am I saying don't play this one however you should keep in mind that it is shorter than the others.

How many hours of gameplay is Insurgence loaded with right now?

What Ame biased? Noooo. Anyeay we don't need seasons because of story progression. Personally I kike Victory Fire as a game it has some interesting components even if the dialog is a bit screwy. Some other good ones are Dark Rising and Snake wood. Welcome to our demented forum family

I see no reason to play ROM hacks. The games are good enough. But Pokemon Glazed and Liquid Crystal have their own cults, so perhaps I should check the cult out.

To answer some of your later questions:

The events in the game are really built in. All done by yourself.

No trades, as there is a new evolution stone made specially for those Pokemon like Gourgeist, Alakazam, Gengar, and others! All is paid with ingame PokéDollas.

Here is a list with all the obtainable pokemon: http://www.pokemonreborn.com/game/obtainable.html

(read: Events only means they can only be found once on your journey)

Seasons are not an official thing, BUT Sawsbuck and Deerling do change their seasonal forms every month.

Fly, in 14 episodes not available yet. But honestly it's all not THAT much walking, plus you can get a bike before the 4th gym.

Oh, and please try to not double post, the mods don't like it much. You can save up multiple quotes from one topic and place em in one post to answer em all at once.

Editing. I'm doing some right now.

Edited by Helia

Ah, perusing through the forums has given me the impression that is the most well made game yet. Outperforming its official rivals. Good job, Athe!

I suppose I shall reserve this for last:

Any suggestions for which to start with?

1. Pokemon Uranium

2. Pokemon Zeta

3. Pokemon Insurgence

To answer some of your later questions:

The events in the game are really built in. All done by yourself.

No trades, as there is a new evolution stone made specially for those Pokemon like Gourgeist, Alakazam, Gengar, and others! All is paid with ingame PokéDollas.

Here is a list with all the obtainable pokemon: http://www.pokemonreborn.com/game/obtainable.html

(read: Events only means they can only be found once on your journey)

Seasons are not an official thing, BUT Sawsbuck and Deerling do change their seasonal forms every month.

Fly, in 14 episodes not available yet. But honestly it's all not THAT much walking, plus you can get a bike before the 4th gym.

Oh, and please try to not double post, the mods don't like it much. You can save up multiple quotes from one topic and place em in one post to answer em all at once.

Editing. I'm doing some right now.

I saw 'em after I posted, hence the consecutive posting. Why the hate, though? Is it some sort of anti-server load thing? I'll minimize my posting.

You can just quote those and copy them, edit the first post and paste them in there. I believe on most forums you find that people don't take kindly to double posting.

Bear Please refrain from double or rather in your case treble posting and then double posting, its against the forum rules and leaves the thread kinda messy, if you have more to add please edit your previous post.

Anyways yeah this is one of the harder fan games out there some of the puzzles will have you ripping your hair out, you will need a hm slave at some point( i suggest rattata) for rock smash and cut and strength.

If you dont know chess i suggest you learn for one of the gym puzzles it will make it alot easier on you.

Pokemon Glazed Is well worth a playthrough i certainly enjoyed it, although not particularly hard with pseudo legendarys obtainable pretty early and no level cap the story line and amount of game play was great.

By Pokemon Events we mean special occurrences in game to get 1 pokemon a pokemon that wouldn't normally be obtainable such as tedduisera with his hide and seek event. its not a litteral event created by ame to get pokemon like gamefreak do such as the shiny beldum event they had when releasing the most recent pokemon easy mode. Other cool events to look out for ingame are riolu,beldum,chikorita,ralts and misdreavus

anyways have fun and enjoy yourself and in future try to abide by the forum rules :3

Bear Please refrain from double or rather in your case treble posting and then double posting, its against the forum rules and leaves the thread kinda messy, if you have more to add please edit your previous post.

Anyways yeah this is one of the harder fan games out there some of the puzzles will have you ripping your hair out, you will need a hm slave at some point( i suggest rattata) for rock smash and cut and strength.

If you dont know chess i suggest you learn for one of the gym puzzles it will make it alot easier on you.

Pokemon Glazed Is well worth a playthrough i certainly enjoyed it, although not particularly hard with pseudo legendarys obtainable pretty early and no level cap the story line and amount of game play was great.

By Pokemon Events we mean special occurrences in game to get 1 pokemon a pokemon that wouldn't normally be obtainable such as tedduisera with his hide and seek event. its not a litteral event created by ame to get pokemon like gamefreak do such as the shiny beldum event they had when releasing the most recent pokemon easy mode. Other cool events to look out for ingame are riolu,beldum,chikorita,ralts and misdreavus

anyways have fun and enjoy yourself and in future try to abide by the forum rules :3

Might I be so bold as to sincerely apologize to all people who hate me for a) my multi-answers and unemphatic reply to Helia.

Any particular reason why Crystal remains the objection of remake affection instead of, say, Platinum?

Also, any confirmed finished/almost-finished alternatives to Uranium/Reborn? Seems like Insurgence is very not complete.

P.S. Thanks for calling me Bear. :D

Edited by Lord Bear

I'd go with Pokemon Zeta/Omicron first, since it's finished. It takes, what, 60-80 hours to beat? Then I'd go with Pokemon Insurgence after, actually. Even though it's not-very-complete, it's already about 15-25 hours, and with 1.1 on the horizon (I'd say...1-3 weeks) that'll bump it up another 10 hours.

Pokemon Reborn's difficulty is pretty insane. It's about 35-45 hours. I'd go with this one last because its bar is rather high.

Never played Uranium, but from what I heard it's very incomplete and hardly updates.

They all have their pros and cons. In terms of difficulty, obviously Reborn > Insurgence > ZO. Same goes for story IMO, although Insurgence looks very promising. Feature-wise though, Reborn is beat. Thesuzerain's games have stuff like online capability, HM items, and other quality-of-life stuff that you won't get in Reborn.

Edited by ClawofBeta

As everybody says, I´d suggest Zeta (bc it's complete and you can get nice HM substitutes.)
apart from the ones you mentioned, I´d add Pokemon Island, and Pokemon Rejuvenation (It´s on this forums too).

I´d even add Pokemon Raptor if you want an-until-gen-IV feel (that was the first fangame i played, and it has a good story. Not as deep as Reborn´s or Zeta/Omicron´s)

As everybody says, I´d suggest Zeta (bc it's complete and you can get nice HM substitutes.)

apart from the ones you mentioned, I´d add Pokemon Island, and Pokemon Rejuvenation (It´s on this forums too).

I´d even add Pokemon Raptor if you want an-until-gen-IV feel (that was the first fangame i played, and it has a good story. Not as deep as Reborn´s or Zeta/Omicron´s)

HM substitutes? :o

Is Zeta the game which has key items like rock movers, etc?

I've only played reborn and insurgence, and I'm actually not too fond of how easy insurgence makes everything.

With getting fly and access to so many good pokes so early, I feel like it's less of an exciting journey and more of a lines of baddies I need to line up and dispose of. Cause nothing short of a team full of legends is going to stop me now. I should not have a team so good that I have no reason to want the mew they are building up for me.

Sure, the game was hard at the start, but that was due to two things:

A. The fact I was doing a mono bug run and almost everything was stacked against me

B. The level scaling is absolutely absurd. Trainers will raise like 5 levels from one end of the route to the next, leaving little room catching up and a ton of grinding.

Edited by Zane0144

• 2 months later...

Forgive me if my post is a necropost (how long is a necro?).

After freshly starting reborn & finishing E15 (and coincidentally still on holiday), I've been trying hard to find other quality pokemon games, and so I stumble on this thread.

Anyway, just want to say that out of many pokemon ROMhacks & RPGmaker games (recently I tried Pokemon Godra, but quickly uninstalled since everything is subpar compared to *uknowwho*), none can beat the quality of Pokemon Reborn.

The unique graphics, visible IV/EV, challenging difficulty, cool plots, are some of the highlights.

Oh, not to mention the lively & friendly forum, a really major up for me.

Finally, again, forgive me, can't stop thinking of this...

BRING OUT E16!!!