Anybody watching shofu's playthrough?

Antilegend

• Replies 193
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

yeah i oops'd. it's been fixed for 14.5

I only just started watching his revival this morning but his series of battles against Samson is pretty much on point for what I aim for when I make gym battles. It took a few tries, and he won not by grinding stuff up, but by figuring out how to play against each of Samson's things and refining his strategy a bit each time.

...granted, I... do hope for people to pay attention to what's up with the field, but... hey.

He can get through those battles if he doesn't give up, and tries different things. That's generally what I expect of my players. So it's just a matter of his patience.

Worst case scenario is he takes a couple weeks off. Honestly, fans of the game hound him frequently during his stream about the game. He's caught up in Smash but he's never been one to bend to a challenge.

He always says he needs to read up on the field effects. Maybe he'll actually do that.

It's too bad he staunchly refuses to grind, claiming it "takes too long"; I find I've always been adjusting my team around. I picked up Ralts when it was shuffled way to the back, long after my team had developed a good synergy. I replaced my Level 52 Donphan with a level 20 Drillbur because I lacked a Steel type. Just all depends on what kind of work you're willing to put into the game.

I haven't fought Charolette yet so I don't know what her team is aside from Typhlosion, Darmanitan, & possibly 2 Drought Ninetails. But Shofu was saying that she was the hardest gym leader so far.

I won't spoil anything other than the first Drought Ninetails was replaced with Darmanitan. So there's only one on her team now.

Edited by Antilegend

On the scale of 1 to 10, how would you guys rate Charlotte's performance with all that Fire power?

During shofu's playthrough? Oh, she shit on his front porch completely. She took out half his team without taking any damage at all.

If you mean in general, I'd give her a solid 8/10. I lost the first time, adjusted, downed her the second time. Definitely a fun fight. Tailwind/EQ spam didn't seem fair though, but I'll use that as my freebie considering how god damn frustrating Noel was.

Seriously? King's Rock Cinccino? I screamed into a pillow for that fight.

On the scale of 1 to 10, how would you guys rate Charlotte's performance with all that Fire power?

I would say she's a solid 9 (for me, Serra was 10 and Luna was 10 as well; the rest were 7 or 8 at the best). She benefits A LOT from her field effect (that's the point I guess), and TWO drought ninetails plus energy ball typhlosion...yeah it ain't pretty (although I'm glad to hear that she only has one ninetales now and her typhlosion won't be learning energy ball anymore)

It took me three tries to defeat her in the original save. First was the inspection battle: with my current team at the time, evaluate the situation, see what her party was composed of and inevitably get blown away. Second was the re-arangement battle: the same team, but trying a different strategy, to see what other options could be. And finally, the definitive battle: changing some pokemon for some other (gourgeist and mawile for Tyrantrum and azumarill), grinding a bit, and just proceed to crush her soul. Using tyrantrum double resistance to fire plus rock slide and using either azumarill's or delphox's turn to heal the t-rex up, equals win.

Although, now that I know she has a darmanitan, I'm not sure this strategy could work as well, for hammer arm and all...

Charlotte was kind of a relief after a few gym battles, namely Luna...Only took me 3 tries to win and i mostly manipulated Arcanine with Flash Fire and the field effects, combined with Greninja's Protean. So in short I would give her a 7 on a diffuclty scale, seeing as once you get the idea of field effects you take away her main advantage. Terra however was a bit easy, somewhat disappointingly so, especially after that Mewtwo battle (It out sped my Greninja -_- WTF!) I beat her on my 1st try

As for Shofu's Let's Play i actually quoted a video to help me describe a problem I had in game (made the game shut down). His rage is HILARIOUS! Especially over the "Order of the Helix" and "Goomy" xD His rage with Charlotte was pretty funny to watch as well.

I would say 9; she was definitely the hardest battle in the game for me, and the only one that I actually had to change my team for. Although on reflection, I could probably have just used an Ability Capsule to get Flash Fire on my Arcanine. I didn't find Luna or Mewtwo difficult at all, but that's probably because of my Meowstic (Light Screen, Reflect and Misty Terrain with Prankster and Light Clay is an insanely useful combination in Reborn) and Florges.

"Get me out of here, get me the fuck out of here"

-Shofu on getting destroyed by Charlotte

I'm glad Shofu doesn't read up on the Field Effects in the manual; seeing him struggle and his reactions to the field effects are enjoyable. If he did read up on the Field Effects, he would have known that he was gifted a freebee for the Samson battle in his Darmanitan (Nice Belly Drum); granted, I still think Samson is one of the easiest gym leaders in the game, but still. And we still got to see all of that enjoyable rage that only Shofu can bring us.

I was lucky enough to have already had Rain Dance on my Gyarados when I battled her, but she still took a few tries though. She's on the level just below Shade/Luna when it comes to my difficulty with gym leaders

I rate Charlotte 8/10 as a main boss and 10/10 as a fire typ user. She definetly got her priorities right, with that lead-off, and the rest of the team. She's just like a fire type trainer should be: Explosive from the very beginning and using defensive and offensive tactics combined afterwards.

Serena was just a let-down for me. I only needed my Typhlosion and Magmar and used a third pokemon after Magmar went down from Typhlosions Lava Plume to tear right through her. Well the Mamoswine was problem in the beginning but I dealed with the rest. None of my Pokemon were EV trained at that moment and I didnt even prepare for that fight. I would Serena rate 5/10 as a gym leader for Reborn standards, because even though she had good tactics and a good lead, she didnt have a single thing that could handle my 2 underleveled fire pokemon on itself. As an ice-type user 7/10.
Blaze or what his name was (the one in E14) was definietly a looot stronger... or maybe I just brought the wrong Pokemon to the fight. But he definietly deserves 8/10 in boss battle scale. And as an ice type user 9/10.

Luna was definietly frightening. However Lucario secured my win at my first try, by dealing with her biggest threads (that Umbreon though >__< so Overleveled. I was glad my Lucario used Swords Dance before fighting against it)
Mewtwo gave me however a real problem, because I had almost no supporters xD So after losing about 3-4 times I realized I need at least Trick Room, so I teached my Alakazam Trickroom and finished it off with with Heracross before it could regenerate.

Terra wasnt weak at all, she had good pokemon both defensively and offensively, but her Move Sets were just too obvious for a skilled player and lacked some important moves to counter threads. As an gym leader 7/10, because if you only have the offensive type of pokemon you have only a small chance of winning, however her attack wasnt really that high. It was more these Sandstorms and Defensive Pokemons that were interesting. But that Nidoking? srs, it was so obvious that she would use a special offensive one with Life Orb. She definietly could have caught the protagonist by surprise if she had more original move-pools and sets.

Edited by Kemotatnew

I haven't fought Terra/Samson/Charlotte yet but Charlotte sounds like the Shade of late-game in how much trouble she's giving.

I think Serra is difficult if you get unlucky and frozen or just can't hit Froslass but she's one of the only 4 leaders I beat first attempt. It's key to have a SE Special attacker or one who can at least deliver big hurt and last against avalugg + Cloyster. I had infernape and Magnezone so she wasn't too bad but I still lost nearly all my pokemon lol.

Hardest part about luna is figuring out the nicknames. Like how does humpty dumpty make a good nickname for Malamar? He kind of messed me up since I lost my accelgor on a switch in to psycho cut. But I felt she's one of the easiest since you have a lot of options for a good fighting type by then(which wrecks Tyranitar/Bisharp), Honchkrow is fairly slow, Malamar is crippled by bug, sableye is sableye and Umbreon isn't exactly a powerhouse although his level jacking makes him the biggest threat. She's one of the easier gym leaders I think.

I didn't know Noel's cincinno had king's rock. That is hilarious.

As a boss, I think Charlotte's pretty great. Her team is brutal, hits very hard, and can stomp through her type's conventional weaknesses. That being said, one of her greatest strengths (her field) can be used against her, as your fire types hit really hard as well, plus Flash Fire makes things much more doable. (You can beat her with rain dance if you have a pokemon that can survive two boosted hits from her though) 9/10 for a boss. For how daunting she seems, we also get quite a bit of options to deal with her. (Funny enough, her nerf actually makes her a bit harder for me because of how I abused the sun her lead Ninetales used to give.)

Edited by Mighty Kamina

Actually Luna and Radomus were the ones I had the least problems with. Mostly beat them on the first try. The troublesome ones for me were actually Noel, Cain in Vanhanen Castle, Bennett before Serra and also before Luna, Charlotte and Blake. Had to redo these ones so many times.

Hi i'm new but the way I beat charlotte is that I used ninetales against her. I had rain dance on 3 of my party members so the field wouldn't combust and when ninetales cames out the rainbow effect appeared and I proceeded to sweep her with tri attack, silk scarf porygon2

I don´t think this will last. Either he will train other Pokemon or he will Rage quit the game. Charlotte is the 4th Gym Leader he got stuck on in sucsession. He had stuck before (against Kiki and Serra) but how will his brute force tactics work. Especially as we are nearing level 100. He also calls "broken" on any Gym Leader who has any kind of counter for their weaknesses or use other tactics against him (like Sigmunds Discharge + Volabsorb/Motordrive tactics)

What do you expect from someone who follows smogon tiers lmao.

Benette was crazy for me because he not only owned me the first time, his larvesta of all things was the biggest threat and took out half my team :/ Pre-luna he was easier as I had a better team but larvesta still put up a fight.

My Swampert vs Larvesta... Rock Slide! :D

But dat Yanmega tho. Giga Drain, Ancient Power, boosted Bug Buzz cuz of the Cave and dat speedboost. It swiped my team multiple times.

*Spoilers below, but if you're reading this thread you probably have beaten most of these leaders anyways.

Julia was always easy for me; the only issue I had was maybe the Sonicboom would /almost/ 2 shot half my team..

Florinia was easy because I started with Infernape.. on a current episode she's harder because of the field effect.

Corey was a bit of a challenge because the Crobat is insanely strong if you don't have

Shelly was pretty easy, the field is very OP if you set fire to it, you can massacre her whole team.

Shade was pretty hard imo before the field effect, in fact the current field he has now is so easy to use against him; spamming discharge destroys his team.

Kiki was and still is easy, even with the field effect you can just spam Psychic

Aya is where the difficulty starts, the field imo doesn't really make it harder, but before she was pretty difficult because you were RIGHT on the level limit, like my team was all 45 when I originally defeated her because it took me a few tries.

Serra was insanely irritating when she was a double battle, that's the last time I played her, she had Brightpowder & hail + Blizzard, it was insane and i'm happy Ame changed it back to a single battle....apparently the new field for her comes in E15 so I'll replay it when it comes out to see the changes. :D

Noel is still a bit of a challenge, I think it's harder now but before it was pretty simple, Swellow gave me some issues because it's legit super fast, and it's guts + facade wrecks face.. but with the field; set it ablaze and abuse it.

Radomus was much easier in my opinion before the field effect, the chess board gives Psychic additional Rock type damage which is a bit harder, I think the levels on his gym were raised a bit too but maybe by 1.. I don't remember. With some strategy he's pretty simple.

Luna was pretty simple too, I reset a few times to learn all of her Pokémon's nicknames, I was confused at first by that, if you don't have a dark-type super-effective move you'll have a bit of a hard time... literally.

Samson is pretty difficult; it's basically a gym right after a gym, grinding is a bit frustrating at this point because Route 2 is a bit laggy, so that's a decent defense. His Pokémon are i strong, but with a good enough strategy and movepool-usage you should have a pretty easy time. Just don't get swept. :P

Charlotte (what this thread's really about!) Is much more challenging with the updated field, unless it's still the same, I had an easier time in E13 fighting her, but I'm not really sure why. Getting rid of the field by either Earthquake, Rain Dance, or Tailwind I think it is(?) is amazingly helpful. Train a Sealeo from Ametrine Mountain with thick fat, teach it Rain Dance...Profit!!

And last but not least...

Terra was pretty simple for me. I didn't have many problems with her at all. Bring a grass type, and something to resist strong attacks like Earthquake and you should have a super easy time.

Edited by Lostelle

My Swampert vs Larvesta... Rock Slide! :D

But dat Yanmega tho. Giga Drain, Ancient Power, boosted Bug Buzz cuz of the Cave and dat speedboost. It swiped my team multiple times.

It's oh so funny to set up Stealth Rock in that battle and just sit back and watch the carnage as it rips through his team while you barely have to lift a finger. Using Bug-types in a cave is not the smartest idea.

Edited by berlyda

What do you expect from someone who follows smogon tiers lmao.

I know, right, what a sheep. All people who think that Smogon's tiers are created through a rigorous process, myself included, are idiot automatons.

shofu just doesn't think outside the box. Either that or he's adhering to some code of scrubbery that prevents him from using strategies that he considers cheap.

*Spoilers below, but if you're reading this thread you probably have beaten most of these leaders anyways.

Kiki was and still is easy

Serra was insanely irritating when she was a double battle.

Noel is still a bit of a challenge, I think it's harder now but before it was pretty simple

-is easy

- insanely irritating when she was a double battle

-still a bit of a challenge

-harder now but before it was pretty simple

M8t, u okay?

Kiki easy? Srs? You had no problem with her Medicham at all?

And Serra was irritatin in doubles? Even when at that point Lava Pluma and Rock Slide was pretty easy to get?

And Noel was pretty simple before the update? But... how? How can you have problems with Serra but not with Noel? HOOOW?!?! Noels Pokemons had just insane abilities. They were insanely bulky, had the right Coverage and insane attack power! He was the perfect Normal Type user!

Edited by Kemotatnew