In game plotholes? (and questions, suggestions) [spoilers, too!]

Helia

Warning: This topic may contain spoilers for new players. If you don't want to know what happens, please make a U-turn.

Dear Ame, Mods and other readers: If this Topic is in any way insulting to your work, in the wrong section or I'm completely wrong, feel free to remove it, move it, and point out the section that ain't right and correct me on it. I'm a hog for information and cannot contain my curiosity in the following topics.

Bear with me now.

So, I've been playing for a while now, and I am a big fan of researching and looking if the story is correct.

I've played 3 times now, The first time I was up to the fight with Samson, buut grinding was hard at route 2 so I decided to start over and train better before going to Agate City.

Second time I chose a different starter(Empoleon) but ran into some trouble defeating Pulse Muk in West Peridot so I decided to go back to my favourite, Swampert.

Now I'm currently grinding in Vanhanen Labyrinth to get my Pokemon levels up nicely (around 60-65 each) for a nice breeze through Luna and before setting off to the Circus.

However, I ran into some parts of the story that were a little, how shall I put it, weird in my eyes, which I see as plotholes for now or "could've been better". Here goes:

I'll start off with a few questions:

Is this link: http://www.pokemonreborn.com/league/leaders.html correct?

My point: No mention of Julia, Florinia, Shelly and Radomus first of all, and some badge names are incorrect.

Now, it's mentioned in the story that Laura is of the Elite Four, not a gym leader. So that is a bit strange, also having the Badge from Florinia's gym.

Also, seeing as Anna has a Gothitelle and it's mentioned she is in fact a gym leader, that also raises eyebrows. Is Radomus going to retire?

I can see how Benett can replace Shelly as she went MIA during the orphanage outbreak, but I found it weird stumbling upon it the first time.

Also, the some badge names have seemingly changed (I could've sworn Julia gave the Volt Badge, Shelly the Cacoon Badge and Radomus the Millennium Badge) and the lineup isn't really a lineup as they're not really in the right order too. (I'm a slight controlfreak with lineups)

The link above shows some mayor plotholes, and then again I can't seem to access that list through the website, only through google.

I was also wondering what those letters MT_R_, _TWR_, M_W_F, M_WR_, _TW_F mean?

Kiki's Death:

Big props on Apophyl storyline, I loved it! Even letting it return in Byxbysion Wasteland with the Ghastly, mayor props.

But I was just stuck wondering why Victoria didn't take over the gym? I know she's young, but she has some mad skills that would've made her a great gymleader.

And will we ever see Cal again?

Tanzan Cove:

I was wondering why Anna, Noel, Charlotte and Shelly didn't do anything during the Tanzan Cove part. I know they're children and all, but they ARE gym leaders, and tough ones at that. Plus during the break out they seemed so brave, *BAM* enter personality switch to make them quite cowardly.

How can they put ALL their trust in me when Shelly has beaten me 8 times, Noel has beaten me 7 times, and Charlotte, Anna, Laura and Saphira certainly will hit me hard when I get to them?

I would have loved to see more Meteors storming in, and all of us taking on some guys, perhaps even subdue the grunts themselves with their Pokemon like what happened inside the Orphanage. Cain can use his Nidoking on grunts, Dr. Connal can use his Electivire on Laura, Saphira shot multiple grunts to their deaths with Dragonite, (rip Tara, poor Simon) why not use such underhanded tricks, or perhaps let them defend the cove too with their strong ass Pokemon?

Not like they have to raid the Tanzan Hideout with us, but just protect themselves, stand up for themselves like they did in the Orphanage.

(for later, Will I be able to surf and dive on the Lake to maybe search for Tara's body, maybe an item of hers to give to Simon later in the story? It sounds gruesome, and kind of awesome, plus it might comfort Simon. If you don't know what I'm talking about, after returning to Reborn City you can find Simon in Beryl Graveyard mourning over his Meteor Partner)

Further more, all those Overworld sprites of Pokemon are awesome, and Cain busting out Nidoking to break the entrance to Agate city, but our(the player's) Pokemon could've done that too! (no overworld sprite needed, just something like Rock Smash or Strength to open the gate, would've been fun.

So for now, these are questions I have. If you have questions concerning the plot you can leave those here too, and I would love to see some answers and your thoughts on how this goes!

Edited by Helia

1st question

The leaders are from the old Pokemon Online Reborn League (now Showdown) that the Game Reborn is based on

Well that solved pretty much all my questions.

Yep, did a fast reading of ur post, some older member with native english language and the right links can help you to understand what happens

as for the orphans have already answered on some other topic that from Ame

To add to the answer to the first question, the Reborn League had more than one Season, and some leaders were changed for one reason or another (here's another line-up's link). About the badge names, don't quote me on this, but I think that whoever was the leader at the time named the badge. And the MT_R_ thing is on what days you can challenge said leader (R being ThuRsday).

For the second question, that was because the in-game league already has set leaders and back-up leaders, the latter of which only step up if something happens. Samson already was the back-up leader, so he took over. Victoria is likely to take over the Apophyll Academy and might become the new back-up leader, though there was no mention of the second part iirc.

And yes, Cal comes back. In the currently-last Episode, yes, but he does come back, let's leave it at that.

About the Tanzan Cove thing, Dr.Connal could've Thunder Wave'd everyone the way he did with Laura. And we know that the Meteor's higher ranking members don't shy away from surprise attacks or "playing dirty", and considering their teams, a direct battle with them wouldn't be a cinch either.

Simon has already said he's done, he's cut his ties. I think it's highly likely that this ends our involvement with Simon. By the way, at the Graveyard, Simon said he's going back to his home in West Peridot and you can talk to him there some more. And there's a little something in Calcenon about that too, but I won't spoil anything.

Plot>Convenience, in that case. We weren't supposed to go there yet, so that's why we weren't allowed. It's like all the HM moves, what prevents you from just climbing over a Strength rock? Why do you have to teach something HOW to break a rock? It's a game, logic has to be cast aside for convenience at times. You could argue that a guard could've been placed there then, but then just anything with Sleep Powder theoretically could be used.

Wow thanks guys, Especially that link gives a lot of insight in people like Cal, I've heard Blake's name in game, now I see a face.

I also now get Elias' sprite in the 7th Street dungeon.

And Florinia had a Whimsicott as main Pokemon first? That's awesome!

Keep it coming guys, this info is great!

• Global Mods

There's one thing that I've been thinking about. It's not a plot hole, just something I find confusing. Sirius and his Chandelure at the LCCC scene. why not just fight off the Chandelure with your Pokemon? It shouldn't be a problem, since you would've beaten him before either at Yureyu or the Tanzan house.

EDIT: also why is there a Wynaut in my post

Edited by StrawberryLoveIntervention

Wynaut let it be? If you judge by the online league, you won't even find Adrienn or somebody to replace xem, as fairy was a late discovery.

Anyway and anyhow, Anna could be E4 you know... I have not found plot holes (or logic gaps if you like) that aren't there in any game.

About the Tanzan Cove thing, Dr.Connal could've Thunder Wave'd everyone the way he did with Laura. And we know that the Meteor's higher ranking members don't shy away from surprise attacks or "playing dirty", and considering their teams, a direct battle with them wouldn't be a cinch either.

Assuming that everyone else's Pokémon just stand by uselessly and watch Connal's Electivire electrocute their Trainers, much like Laura's Lilligant did.

Seriously, Lilligant. Don't just stand there with a confused look on your face while someone incapacitates and kidnaps your Trainer. Do something about it, GOD.

• Administrators

People have already done a decent job at answering a number of these. Some clarifications.

I was wondering why Anna, Noel, Charlotte and Shelly didn't do anything during the Tanzan Cove part. I know they're children and all, but they ARE gym leaders, and tough ones at that. Plus during the break out they seemed so brave, *BAM* enter personality switch to make them quite cowardly.

How can they put ALL their trust in me when Shelly has beaten me 8 times, Noel has beaten me 7 times, and Charlotte, Anna, Laura and Saphira certainly will hit me hard when I get to them?

The dilemma is not power, it's legality. Sigmund is regrettably in his rights to take the children back to the orphanage as they're not 18 yet, unlike Laura, Saphira and the protagonist.

I've never lost a gym battle in Reborn. I lost a shit ton with El with his arcerus ditto. I just been wondering why Saphira didn't just adopt her two younger
siblings since she's basically an adult.

This eventually happened with the real leaders, but it took a while, legal systems and all. In-game Saphira would be trying as well, but there are a lot of hoops to jump through, some of which would, unfortunately require Sigmund's consent.

And Florinia had a Whimsicott as main Pokemon first? That's awesome!

Not first. She originally had Cradily, but in our online league, she started playing with a triples Sun team that Whimsicott was crucial in setting up. When Laura took over the position, she adopted and refined that strategy. The Sandstorm Grass teams Florinia used to use were much more interesting for her character though, so I adopted that in-game.

There's one thing that I've been thinking about. It's not a plot hole, just something I find confusing. Sirius and his Chandelure at the LCCC scene. why not just fight off the Chandelure with your Pokemon? It shouldn't be a problem, since you would've beaten him before either at Yureyu or the Tanzan house.

We write it off as something that happens too quickly to react to, because we can't presume this. The player has just come out of a double battle, and could potentially have only a single pokemon with 1 HP left. Double battle healing canonically is done by your partner after the battle, but there wasn't a moment for Aya to stop and heal you. We can't assume the player would have won that trade.

Not to mention the logistics of setting that up are nightmarish...

Assuming that everyone else's Pokémon just stand by uselessly and watch Connal's Electivire electrocute their Trainers, much like Laura's Lilligant did.

Seriously, Lilligant. Don't just stand there with a confused look on your face while someone incapacitates and kidnaps your Trainer. Do something about it, GOD.

Presumably Lilligant was waiting for an order than never happened, and then it was too late. It certainly wasn't a shining moment for her...

• Developers

The dilemma is not power, it's legality. Sigmund is regrettably in his rights to take the children back to the orphanage as they're not 18 yet, unlike Laura, Saphira and the protagonist.

How old is the protagonist? I assume you mean the character we choose to play as. I was guessing around 13

heres what im wondering. theres a lot of those gateways to certain areas, like the one into byxbysion wasteland (probably didnt spell that right). but those gateways are in such weird places. theres one in the cave of the beryl graveyard, two under the grand stairway, more in the wasteland, and even one in the northern factory in peridot. i just want to know if theyre actually going to be used, or just for decoration.

heres what im wondering. theres a lot of those gateways to certain areas, like the one into byxbysion wasteland (probably didnt spell that right). but those gateways are in such weird places. theres one in the cave of the beryl graveyard, two under the grand stairway, more in the wasteland, and even one in the northern factory in peridot. i just want to know if theyre actually going to be used, or just for decoration.

If you mean the 'X doors', no one is sure what the purpose of them is - but I'm pretty sure they are not there for pure decoration (there was a thread about this not too long ago - so you might be interested in searching for it). Personally, I think there are going to be Legendary Pokemon waiting for us behind those X doors - which will probably be available post-game.

I hope all those doors will play important parts in the story later on. I personally don't care for Legendaries, so I'm really hoping those doors aren't for that.