I need some basic help with pokemon

Spurgun

So i haven't played pokemon at all in a long time (played Emerald mostly), and even when i did i play it knew more or less nothing about the game.

Now i've been playing a fair bit of Reborn recently, but i have several (most of them quite basic) questions about the game, and just pokemon in general.

1. What does breeding mean? I have seen several posts on the forum about how you can breed skill onto a pokemon, but i haven't been able to figure out what how you do it.

2. Is it still true that pokemon improve more when you level them than when they level in the wild, so that getting a low level one is better in the long run?

3. Is there any wiki for the pokemon in reborn, or rather, which version do they take after?

4. What does a pokemons nature do?

• Administrators

Or we can help him get started.

1- Breeding is when you put two Pokemon in the daycare so that they can have an egg together. This is actually a fairly complicated process so as Gaunt alludes to Bulbapedia is a great place to learn about the details of this.

2- Mm, sort of. A Pokemon caught at level 5 and raised to 50 will be stronger than a Pokemon caught at level 50 because hidden Effort Values, or EVs, gotten from KOing other Pokemon. But, when both Pokemon are trained up to have max EVs they can be of equal strength. Again, EVs are somewhat complicated (not as much so as breeding) and Bulbapedia will help you with the details.

3- Reborn does not have a wiki, and is not based on a certain version like Romhacks are. But in general we try to keep mechanics as up-to-date as possible. We have not been entirely successful at this, so there can be some oddities, but assume that we use the most recent generation's rules.

4- Natures raise one stat by a certain percentage at the cost of an equal percentage of another stat. You can actually see which stats are affected in-game. In the stats screen of the summary, the raised stat will have slightly red text, and the lowered stat will be in a faint blue. HP is not affected, but any other combination is possible, and some natures are neutral (do not affect stats). In general you want a nature that boosts your Pokemon's strongest point, for instance, if you have a very fast Pokemon, you would want a nature to boost their speed even more.

3- Reborn does not have a wiki, and is not based on a certain version like Romhacks are. But in general we try to keep mechanics as up-to-date as possible. We have not been entirely successful at this, so there can be some oddities, but assume that we use the most recent generation's rules.

To expand on this somewhat there are pokemon from all 6 generations present in reborn. The eventual aim by the end of the final episode is to have every single pokemon obtainable at some point, but you can see which ones are in the game now here. If you need help finding them then this and this are great resources. If you're still not sure then drop me a question through PM or make a topic here. Dunno if that's what you were looking for with that question but it can't hurt.

I will delve more deeply into evs here. The reason a pokemon caught at level 5 and level might be stronger than one you just caught is because every wild battle you have with a pokemon will give it effort values. Each wild pokemon will give a difference value be it speed, attack, etc. These value will boost your pokemon's stats making them stronger. The reason your pokemon will eventually even out is because you can only get a max of 508 evs per pokemon and each wild encounter drops from 1-3 of them. Another limitation is that 252 evs in one stat for example speed is also the max you can invest.

Also you probably need to know about iv's (even though you specifically didn't ask for it, it's better you know). Each pokemon has a fixed set of iv's varying randomly from 1-31 in each stat. The value shows how many extra stat points a pokemon will have at lvl 100. For example a pokemon with 10 iv's in speed will have 5 less speed than the same pokemon with iv's 15 in speed at lvl 100 (considering that they have the same nature and EV's). IV's can make or break the game in competitive battling or games like reborn. You can also breed for good iv's if the parents have good iv's which you can learn from etesian's breeding guide which he posted above. Enjoy your experience in reborn :D

Edited by Dhanush D Bhatt

3. There is no wiki but you can find useful info in the 'On the Hunt' forum, and the 'Obtainable Pokemon' list on the left below your member info.

4. Nature raises the power one of a Pokemon's stat by 10% (x1.1) and decreases another one of their stats by 10% (x0.9)

We are also on the way to make a guide for old players to get used to the new mechanics (Hilda began it, but it's going to pick up soon), so you need not worry.

I see they've covered you on EVs, IVs, and Natures. You can search the web to see which pokemon give which EVs and which natures increase/decrease which stats, usually these are shown in tables.

Breeding is putting two pokemon together to produce an offspring. Usually they have to be a male and a female. The pokemon that comes as a baby is going to be the same species as the mother. The main three reasons you do this are: better IVs, better nature, egg moves.

IVs, as already mentioned, are the "identity" and "genes" of each pokemon, varying from 0 to 31 for each stat (HP, Atk, Def, SpA, SpD, Spe). They can be inherited from the parents, but some will always be different (no don't expect chromosomes, telomerase, and down syndrome). What you aim for, is that if you have a pokemon which you'd like to use, but has bad IVs, you'd want to breed it, so that the baby has better IVs and is more useful during combat. Some people also do it for shiny pokemon (euphemism for pokemon that sparkle, usually they just lack melanin). I'll come back to that later.

Nature is the "character" of the pokemon. They improve certain stats and hinder others by 10%, so you'll have to play around with this in order to find what you like more about your pokemon. For example, a physical attacker likes high attack, so a nature that boosts attack, but could decrease another stat, usually special attack. You can use it in many different combinations, as it can cover weaknesses or create them. Depends on the nature. Some natures increase and decrease the same stat, so the net product is 0. These are the ones called "neutral" natures (the ones mentioned by Ame above).

Egg moves are moves that are usually not seen in certain pokemon, except for when they are inherited from their parents. Examples include Brave Bird for Honchkrow and Belly Drum Azumarill. Moves can be passed down from both parents and they don't necessarily need to be exclusive. Usually you can give a move to a pokemon by TM or learn it via level up. The two examples above show that breeding can expand the movepools of certain pokemon. These pokemon cannot have those moves in any other way, even TMs.

Now that all this is understood, I'll present some extra pointers to help you around breeding.

In most cases, a male and a female produce a baby. They don't need to be of the same species, however the baby will be of the species of the mother.

The stats the baby gets are almost random (IVs that is). They inherit some of them from the parents, via a complicated way, but you don't need to know that.

There are items, known as Power Items, that make sure certain stats are passed down from the parents to the baby.

Also the Everstone, that does the same with the nature (with some percentage of that working).

Even though most births need a two-sex relationship, there are exceptions.

First of all, all pokemon can reproduce with Ditto, no matter their sex. Ditto is whatever you want it to be. The offspring is never Ditto.

Gender-neutral pokemon can only reproduce with Ditto, bar the legendaries, and few others that cannot reproduce at all (nidorina, nidoqueen)

Search more online (rate and subscribe)

Welcome to reborn wo/man! Always nice to see someone jump in again!

Don't forget about the physical/special split. Up until gen3 all fire, water, grass, electric, dark, psychic, dragon and ice were special(uses sp.atk vs sp.def) with the rest being physical(uses atk vs def). This was changed in gen 4 so now attacks are physical or special depending on flavor text

For eg: fire/ice/thunder punch are physical(ur atk vs opp def) while mudbomb/shadowball/flashcannon are special. Check bulbapedia for more info.