Playing Halfsies

Amethyst

• Administrators

So as I've just alluded to in a post a moment ago, we're coming up with a 14.5 next. For those who haven't been around for our previous .5 releases, as a disclaimer, 14.5 is NOT a content release, sorry. No new story, sidequests or field effects will be added to it, and it will not replace the main E14 download links. But it will be publicly available so we can get some additional help testing out the changes in it.

So what are we changing in 14.5? A lot actually. Our goals for the release are as follows:

• ORAS content
  • Essentials v15 update
  • Additional anti-lag map adjustments
  • All moves/items/abilities implemented

So let's go through these.

First, ORAS content. The big thing is sprites. As of now I actually have almost all of the front sprites done, but with just a handful of back sprites and almost no bases for them floating about to work from, these are gonna take some time. ...Seriously, it takes forever. Not even kidding. That said, almost everything else form ORAS i.e actual mega code, moves (in live 14 thanks to Jericho), tutors, etc, is just about good to go.

As of this morning the project has been updated to the new version of Essentials, so check that one off the list. We have a lot of testing to do to make sure it's not nearly as broken as 14, but all circumstances considered (and save one minor AI issue involving wild Pokemon not doing anything half the time, oops (which we fixed)) v15 is looking pretty good. We're getting some fixes to some long-standing issues, like Fling, and some newer ones as well, like Destiny Bond. ...allegedly.

Map adjustments are nothing new. We did them first in 9.5 and we've done them in several episodes since. I might talk about what's going on and how they help in some other post at a different time, but in short it's just minor tweaks to how areas are loaded to help reduce lag. However, making those changes is often fairly meticulous, and a single error can result in a crashed game for lots of players (as has happened in the past), so I want to get these changes in 14.5 to make sure they're secure for E15

Finally, implementation. The Essentials project has not been fully up-to-date basically since its creation back in 3rd gen, and I'm personally very excited to be reaching a point where we can at least say that all the moves/etc at least should be in the game and work. This has been made largely possible by Kurotsune's additional help, so huge thanks to xem for pounding out the code for basically the rest of the unimplemented things. That said, realistically even when implemented, it's not going to work perfectly, which is why I want to make sure the community has time to test these additions before the full episode release.

Overall, this is double-edged. On the one hand, yay updates, and yay future updates being stable! On the other hand, it means we're not even starting to make the content of E15 until we get this update out, and since E15 will be a relatively short episode the development time will feel moderately disproportionate to the content released. That's how it's going to be though. We ask everyone to stick with us in the mean time.

Does this mean we can atleast expect megas with the enemies now? But still take your time and keep up the good work :D

If enemies are Gym Leaders too then yes... As far as I remember she said something about that for E15

Edited by Qaaz

My guess is that the elite block of the leaders (i.e Amaria, Saphira and two more) will have a mega. So get ready for Mega Salamence, Mega Slowbro and probably Mega Mawile (I'll cry if this one is included) and Mega Scizor/Lucario. Anyways, keep up the good work Ame! Also, will the turns be updated to gen IV-VI mechanics?

Edited by Farnsworth

Looking forward to all the new stuff you eventually come out, you suckered me into the game when I first starting playing it a week ago :P

Gunna be cool when I catch up on the story wee!

This has been made largely possible by Kurotsune's additional help, so huge thanks to xem for pounding out the code for basically the rest of the unimplemented things.

Right right, swell.

Now about that deal regarding your firstborn.

Sounds good, will these changes be like with essential be affecting the ai any? Not sure about what's controlling npc battling decisions but if that were to be updated the challenge would be nicely improved.

14.5 will run with the new essentials' AI.

Whether that's for better or worse remains to be seen.

• Administrators

I can't imagine it being worse than the base Essentials 14 AI. But Dan had made serious tweeks to it I believe.

Our changes have been preserved. We'll probably continue to make additional ones.

*raises hand*

A question: Does this new pokemon essentials update allow me to breed TM moves into my pokémon?

Nooooo, that was removed in Gen 6 canonically. That code exists in Essentials by default actually but we remove it to keep breeding mechanics up to date with the main series.

• 1 month later...

Wait, how is episode 15 light on content, if there's all those waterfalls to explore now? Don't tell me... you'll be removing much of the stuff already behind them? D:

EDIT: Nevermind, she says "short" instead of "light on content". Big difference, because it obviously refers to story progress.