Pokémon Academy: Ch 1a: A fresh start [IC]

Chim

Jacob turned beet red, flushed with embarrassment from the moment Ryan brought up the girl with the Murkrow. He gave Teo a panicked look and the Trapinch opened its maw, letting out a dry huffing sound that his Trainer knew as a laugh. His heart sank and he covered his face with his hands. He muttered something to Ryan, but quickly realized the other Trainer wouldn't have heard it. Jacob removed his hands from his face and sighed, looking hopelessly at Kage and Ryan. "I don't! I mean.... I... Wh-... I guess so..." he said quietly, trying not to let it get to him. He turned to his friends once more. "What should I do? She doesn't even know I exist!"

• Replies 961
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Kiai and Shun happily chomped on their cookies.

"I can already see us, the first years, splitting off into groups..." Shiro hroke the silence. He was glancing at the group around Danielle. "What if... what if I end up alone again... I don't... I don't want that..." There was a long break. Shiro was picking at his sweater. It was his light blue one, just like the sky. "But I always do. I always end up being alone. Everyone eventually split up with me..."

Ryan laughed a bit. Never has he seen someone so embarrassed over something so common. "No need to be embarrassed man. You're what, 15? This is completely normal. It's not like we're gonna judge you for having a crush or something. Look, my advice, just walk up to her. Don't talk about her right away. Maybe compliment her Murkow. Then, ask her her name and then the Murkrow's name. Introduce yourself. Be casual. Don't overreact. She seems nice, she won't shut you out, I guarantee it. Go get her man." And with that, Ryan game him a slight push from the back and waited for Jacob to approach the girl.

Woah, what Shiro just said... Was he being serious? "Shiro, dude, I know that I just meet you yesterday, and that, if your serious about what you said, you think we're all just taking groups. You gotta think dude, this is the First actual day of school, and the so called 'cliques' are nothing more that who people met yesterday through chains of events, just how life went. In fact, you must've met some other people during your escapade to get Shun. Now you can take this as my opinion or a statement, but your only alone if you tell yourself that." With that, Robert hoped his words would get through to him, waiting for them to settle. "If you want, we can even go around and talk to others. Or we can just see if other's come to us. Your choice really."

(Bfrogger, you can bunny me around if you decide which choice to follow, Atleast until I next post)

Edited by TurboAura

Kenny then spoke up.

"Indeed, it is as Robert said. but there is one fact that will never change: as Trainers, we'll always be with our closest friends: our Partner Pokemon. just remember this when things seem bleak: You're never alone as a Trainer."

And, yet another new guy drops over in the conversation. Colin was impressed. He knew some pretty popular people (Juan wasn't able to ever walk around Sootopolis without a crowd gathering around him - mostly women), but Danielle was really a magnet for people.

"Heyo Slade. Colin Wave here, nice to meet you. My partner is in his pokéball, he's pretty lazy by the morning."

Everyone else seemed to be immersed in thought though. It was easy to know why, after all they would get a new friend in a few moments. He had his mind more or less made since the Professor's speech last night, so he didn't worry about that too much. Kyte would probably not complain too: he always loved to play with other Pokémon.

Danielle smiled at Slade's comment. At least her friends here know how to take a joke, unlike some bug-type trainer.

"Well, since we all waiting here for Professor Redwood to come and give us our second Pokemon, does anybody want me to share the interesting story between Alvin and me? Claude and Henry can help out since they were there with me!" Danielle called to the crowd around her.

Edited by DarkLight

Jacob recovered from Ryan's push quickly and pivoted on his right foot turning right back around and walking behind Ryan, laughing nervously. "Guys, she's way out of my league. Get real," he said quietly, trying to sound casual. He looked down at the floor, his heart thudding in his chest. If I don't they'll think I'm a wimp, but if I do then I'm gonna choke up before I can say anything to her, he thought to himself, closing his eyes tightly and attempting to wish his way out of the situation. He peeked one eye open and sighed in defeat, his only hope of escape foiled by reality. "She'd never go for someone like me anyway. Look at her! She's so... people-y," he noted. "I don't think I'd ever feel comfortable in the limelight like she is right now." Teo moved behind his Trainer and bumped him on the back of the knee, hoping to move him forward. "No way, Teo. Sorry."

Ryan cocked an eyebrow. "Look man, I'm not doing this to embarrass you. And I never said you had to flat out ask the girl. Simply be friendly with her. Take a slower approach. Let her bring you into her league. You say you don't want to be in the limelight? What if you leave this school and become champion of the Ymora Region? You gonna hide from the spotlight then?" Ryan pointed back towards the girl with his right hand over his shoulder and his right elbow resting on his left palm. "Take a chance man. You deserve more than that and you know it. Teo knows it too." Ryan winked at Teo for reassurance.

Teo gurgled happily at Ryan as Jacob stammered something, then quickly gave up and grimaced. "Fine. I'll go. Are you happy now?" he said sarcastically, walking toward the girl with the Murkrow and putting his hand out behind him, flipping his middle finger up at Kage and Ryan. As he approached, he the girl talking about someone named Claude. He buckled down and continued forward, stopping at the edge of the circle. He took a deep breath to gain his composure, remembering Ryan's words. I should compliment her Murkrow! he thought, smiling lightly. Finally, he spoke up. "Excuse me, I don't know anything about what happened earlier, but your Murkrow looks really strong. I've never seen one in person before."

"Well, since we all waiting here for Professor Redwood to come and give us our second Pokemon, does anybody want me to share the interesting story between Alvin and me? Claude and Henry can help out since they were there with me!"

Henry heard Danielle's suggestion and doubted he could do anything about it but help. He calmly got closer and was prepared to help act out the scene until he saw another boy approach her. He decided to keep his distance to see what would happen as he didn't want to spoil too much of Danielle's fun.

"Excuse me, I don't know anything about what happened earlier, but your Murkrow looks really strong. I've never seen one in person before."

Henry put the pieces together and figured out what was going on. I really should make a bet with someone...oh wait, we have to use those battle points. May as well help him out then if anything goes wrong. He waited in anticipation to see what the boy's next move would be. While he was no womanizer, he doubted something like this would be too much for the boy, especially to a girl as outgoing as Danielle seemed to be.

Edited by commander218

• Support Squad

The boy who had walked up to Danielle certainly caught his attention, and his nervous actions connoted several different interesting and entertaining things, but then again, Claude wasn't too versed in the awkward realm of social interaction between boy and girl.

"Well, all you really need to know is that Alvin did up our room just for his bugs, without even thinking of me, and proceeded to wimp out in the forest. Then again, with a horde of phantump there, who can blame him. Also, Hiya cutie~" Claude said with a wink to Jacob

"Uhm..." Both Robert and the other guy had good points, but Shiro was still unsure. He let his head fall down to his chest. "I dont know..." He felt a slight tug at his ankle. It was Shun. His face was covered in cookie crumbs, and he was pulling Shiro's pants. His left hand was pointing at the others. "Shun? You want me to go?"

Shun nodded, pulling Shiro one more time. He seemed eager to go,. "Are you sure... I mean..." His big green eyes met Robert's as he turned his head. "I guess we could."

Ryan chuckled at Kage's suggestion a little. As Jacob walked away, Ryan saw that Jacob had flipped them off, wait, only Ryan. He tried his best to read lips when Jacob approached the crowd surrounding the girl. He looked really nervous but he saw Jacob's gaze move towards the Murkrow so he knew that he started off the way Ryan suggested. Ryan turned towards Kage. "Hey man, was the test hard for you? I'm sure Lucas was a big help at least."

Professor Redwood, a brilliant man even amongst professors, had a few flaws. One of them was the questionable talent of walking into a situation at the wrong time. Right on the exact moment Shiro and Jacob were trying to grab the attention of certain people, the door on the other side of the gym opened up. Redwood, along with Tyron and Brendan walked in. All three of them were pushing something that seemed like a small table on wheels and all of them were covered by a white cloth. And while Redwood started to place the tables, Tyron and Brendan walked outside to get even more of them. When they finally finished after a few minutes they started to remove the white cloth and revealed tables filled with Pokéballs. Only when that was done Redwood finally turned his attention to the gathered students.

“Sorry for the wait, it took us a little longer to gather all of them.” He looked at Tyron for a moment who was scratching his head in embarrassment. “Now, like I promised yesterday, each and every one of you will receive another Pokémon,” he spread his arms wide. “As you can see on the tables behind me, every Pokéball contains a sticker that indicates which Pokémon is in it and its gender. We took the liberty to place each type together.” He pointed on the small cardboards hanging on each table. “For each type you’ll find the Pokémon in alphabetical order. But beware; we ranked them by the type they are now in their first evolution state. We didn’t account for any type changing or gaining.”

In the meantime Rebecca walked in and whispered something in Redwoods ear. He nodded in response and turned his attention back to the students. “If you want a Pokémon that has two types; look it up in the Pokédex. The type that’s mentioned first indicates the Pokémon’s place on these tables.” He paused for a moment to let it sink in. “After you’ve chosen a partner, leave through the door behind me and go to your right. You’ll see three battlefields where professors Cadmus (Devin) and Arlyn (Phoebe) are stationed. I will join them in a minute. After you go there, find yourself an opponent and wait for one of the three fields to open up. Again, this is not a test; we only want to see your current level.”

With that said he made a motion to leave, but decided against it. “Feel free to decide on some Battle Points if you want,” he said with a warm smile. “My two assistant, Brendan and Rebecca, will stay here with Tyron. If you have questions just ask them.”

The class stayed silent for a while watching Redwood leave the gym. Suddenly, like it was the starting signal in a race, Alvin sprinted towards the table with bug types. The future bug expert was so excited and failed to decide which Pokémon he wanted. Instead he jumped from left to right and back, making it hard for others who wanted to grab a bug Pokémon.

"Huh, guess it's time. Shiro, how 'bout we get our new partners? Then we'll be able to get a battle with some new people!" Hopefully Shiro was with him, otherwise Robert would probably break from excitement. He decided to search for a partner, more or less expecting luck to have decided the encounter. Robert ended up at the Electric Table, and decided to close his eyes and have 'fate' get some choice in it. As soon as he opened his eyes, he had in his hands on a Pokeball Labeled 'Elekid'. "Ok, guess there's no time like the present. Come on out, Elekid!"

With that a the yellow, pudgy Elekid came out, with an energized, "Bi bi Bii," rotating his arms and causing Sparks.

"Hey Elekid, my name's Robert and this is Kiai. Great to meet you." He held his hand out for a shake, but the earlier charge-up acted as a Pokemon-Joy Buzzer, shocking Robert then and there. "Well, guess you've got a lot of shock to yah. You want this cookie?" He took out the half-cookie he had saved for this, and Elekid grabbed it happily and gobbled it up. "Heh, guess you like that too. I wonder what I should call you. Hm, how bout Voltage?"

Hearing the name, Elekid showed an appreciative smile, and held out his arm in a arm-pump style. "Well then, Voltage, come with Kiai and me, and we'll get you a match."

Edited by TurboAura

Before Ryan could even wait for Kage's response, Redwood had arrived, brining oodles of tables with him, filled to the brim with multiple pokemon. Ryan had three pokemon in mind here. Ralts, Litwick, and Shinx. All of them pleased him, but he decided that Litwick is incredibly difficult to raise from it's first stages, from what Ryan had heard at least. And same went with Ralts. "Welp, meet me back here when you get your next pokemon, Kage." Ryan winked and walked off to the electric table. Seeing someone was aiming for a Pokemon near the Shinxes, Ryan dove and grabbed a pokeball with a male Shinx. A smile grew across Ryan's face. "Come on out buddy!" Ryan tossed the pokeball in the air and was delighted when Shinx popped out. Shinx did two quick leaps in the air and bared its fangs at Ryan with a grin. "A feisty one 'eh?" Ryan pondered the thought of his name. "Feroces sounds nice. Latin for ferocious." Feroces bared his fangs once again with excitement flames licking his teeth. "So you've got fire fang, don't you?" Glacien was intrigued by the new team member and wanted to get close to him to see whether he could make a friend. Ryan scooped up Glacien in his right elbow and placed Feroces on his left shoulder. He walked back to the spot where he was originally talking to Kage.

Lana walked over to the poison types. She always wanted to have a Nidoqueen and professor Redwood clearly stated she could find a female Nidoran on the poison type table. She found the Pokéball rather quickly and released the Nidoran inside. “Aren’t you cute?” she asked when the Nidoran rubbed its head against her leg. “I’m going to call you Queen, alright?” The small Nidoran didn’t reply and instead continued rubbing against Lana’s leg. “I guess that’s a yes,” she smiled. “And let me introduce you to my other partner, Rhy.” She released the Rhyhorn, after making sure Claude wasn’t near her, only to find out it was asleep.

In the meantime Alvin already touched every Pokéball on the bug type table. Every time he thought he had decided, his eye fell on another bug Pokémon he wanted. In the end he decided to base his second partner on the weaknesses his first one had. He grabbed a Pokéball containing a female Dwebble and stormed enthusiastically outside.

Kage walked forward and waited for Lucas to point him in a direction. With reluctance, the Psychic-type did so, guiding his Trainer to the Steel-type table. There weren't many, probably because Steel is a bit on the rare side. Suddenly, Lucas started to get excited, and prodded Kage toward a particular ball. The reason was fairly clear, as the Ralts informed Kage that it contained another Psychic-type. "A Beldum? Sweet." He pounced on the ball before anyone else could grab it, then wove his way back through the throng of students before releasing his new partner. It started examining him with psychic waves immediately. "Hmm. Rand was pretty tough, and he had powers. How about I call you al'Thor?" The sensation changed a bit, seeming to indicate pleasure. "Awesome."

Shiro and Robert were interrupted by Professor Redwood and his assistants who brought 18 tables filled with poke balls into the gym. The only problem was that the prof mentioned battles would be taking place after they picjed their new Pokemon... Anyhow, Shiro made his way to the Ice table, his heart pounding from excitement. He quickly glanced at the names on the poke balls, searching for the letter... 'S'. Shiro picked up the ball labeled 'Snorunt, f'. All this time, Shun was on Shiro's shoulder, almost as excited as the boy.

"This will be our new partner, 'k Shun?" Shun nodded in agreement.

As Shiro pressed the button on the poke ball, a loud bang was heard and a average looking Snorunt appeared on the floor ij front of them. "Hi, Im Shiro!" He said, offering a cookie to it. "And Im gonna make you into the most appealing Froslass the world has ever seen!" Snorunt nodded joyfully, accepting the cookie. "Uhm... and for you name... I know! I'll call you Shauntal! Or just Tal." Snorunt nodded once again. "Now we gotta find ourselves an opponent..." Shiro put Shun down next to Tal while he looked around. He knew who he wanted to battle, the only one he could trust at this point. And there he was, at the electric table, with a brand new Elekid. "Robert! Do you, I mean... is it fine if we were to battle now? You know, I never had a battle before, and Shun is hurt... I trust you the most, so please, would you?"

Ryan scanned the room looking for Kage and saw that he was standing with a Beldum and grinning. Ryan called over to him. "Hey Kage, get your ass over here to the battlefield!" Ryan's mind whizzed back to the previous evening at his mention of "ass." Ryan chuckled a bit and excitedly ran off to the battlefield Redwood would soon be in charge of so Kage couldn't see his blushing. Ryan looked up at Feroces. "Hey buddy, that guy's name is Kage. We'll be seeing him a lot, so get used to him. He's not like most people. This guy's special." Feroces climbed up on to Ryan's head and bared his flaming fangs at the surrounding area, as if ignoring Ryan's comment.

"Wo-Hey! Looks like it is time!" Colin said excited after Redwood finished his speech. Then he turned to the rest of the group. "C'mon guys, last on the table is a Slowpoke!"

The boy sprinted forward straight towards the Water type table, obviously. When he looked at it, his eyes glistened: there were so many amazing Pokémon to choose from! He saw Squirtle, Totodile, Piplup, Oshawott, Froakie... His resolve was a bit shaken by having so many options. But then he remembered his dreams for a Water team, and considered what would be the best to start it. Yeah, it was hard, but the choice had been made.

He reached for a pokéball labeled "Horsea/Female", grabbed it and pressed it's button. A flash of red was seen, and a moment later the Sea-Horse Pokémon appeared in front of him, staring at her new trainer with big blue eyes.

"Heyo little one" Colin greeted the Pokémon, going down on one knee to be closer to it. "I'm Colin Wave, and I'd like to be your new friend! What do you think uh?" He extended his index finger towards the Horsea slowly while saying that. The Pokémon took some distance from him at first, but then looked back at his new trainer's smile... And wrapped her tail around the boy's finger, letting him raise her from the floor.

"Well thank you! I promise I'll do my best to make you strong and, most of all, make us have loads of fun!" With his free hand, he reached for the Dive-Ball in his belt. "C'mon Kyte, time to wake up. We've got a new partner buddy!"

As soon as the Mudkip got out of the ball, he climbed to his usual position on Colin's shoulder and started an lively dialogue with the new Pokémon. Horsea was a little shy at first, but as Colin walked towards the battle grounds he started hearing more and more "sea"s from the Sea-Horse. Hehe, even her cry is appropriate. He had to think in a name for her... And the first thing that came into his mind was a picture of a waterfall that he had seen in a tourism advertisement once, the colour of which was exactly the same light blue as the Horsea's.

"I know! What about I call you Celestinine?" The Pokémon stood still for a bit, thinking, but then nooded happily with closed eyes and a smile.

By then he had arrived at the battle grounds near Phoebe, and decided to wait for a challenger.

Robert turned to see Shiro, with a new Snorunt beside him, requesting a battle. "Heh, sure dude no problem. So, you wanna make this a 1v1, or do you want all of our pokes to get in on this? Either way, I'm good." As they were talking Robert began heading to the room that the fields were apparently going to be.

Once Alvin left the table, Henry made his move. He went over to the bug table and searched for where the "V" Pokemon were. His finger landed on Venipede. This was close, but not exactly what he wanted. He eventually found it and picked it up from the counter and released the Pokeball. A young Venonat appeared in front of him. She stretched herself out giving sign she may have been in that Poke Ball for quite a while.

"Listen here," began Henry. The two walked away from the table with the Venonat being very attentive to what Henry was saying. "All these other trainers talk about being partners and stuff because they've probably never used more than one pokemon, unlike me. Don't worry, I'm not too picky. Just follow my orders and we'll get along fine." The two eventually met up with Zuko who was still suffering from his gas problem. "I will commend you for being able to withstand Zuko's deadly gas." Henry struggled to give Zuko orders to fall behind from the awful smell, but somehow we pulled through. "Alright, there's one little thing I want to teach you before your first battle with me that gassy boy over there is going to help with the demonstration. Oh, mind if I refer to you as Gipsy?" The Venonat nodded its head as the three headed off to meet with Prof Cadmus.