Pokémon Academy: Ymora Region [OOC / Registrations Closed]

Chim

• Replies 7.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

This is an RP, characters in an RP aren't carbon copies of you. ((they can be...but that is hella not fun, and defeats the purpose of an RP entirely.))

Also, I don;'t really like the Stats thing in a game and how the battles play out, battles aren't exciting in the way they can be told in a story. Battles in the game are much different, involving a lot of switching and etc. WHile this is good in the sense of a game, it is really all that exciting in the telling of a story, there is no tension on who will win etc, it is more or less dispelled when one side gets to a point where it is clear they will not. THis happens since stats make match-ups that are clearly defined, as in X mon will never beat Y mon due to stats. There is no tension if we know the outcome.

This. The only thing I'd like to add is that battles would be a hell of a lot more boring to write. I (or maybe someone else) introduced the idea of two attacks being used in a turn while quite a few of us pioneered the idea of using classic attacks in whole new ways. Creative minds are rewarded, but the uncreative aren't punished.

Edit: I don't mind battling for fun with Henry's team on PO, but it wouldn't count towards anything in the RP.

Edited by commander218

Much like a real fight, ((well I say real....I mean in the context of the RP.)) Say you want to use Flamethrower, well you could do that. But FLamethrower could do something to the enviroment as well instead of jsut being an "attack". Like if you were a small Fire type, maybe you could shoot your Flamethrower down to propel yourself. Basically, moves can be used to not only attack, but anything ((within reason, what I suggested wouldn't make something like Arcanine shoot up in the air, he is simply too big. But a Cyndaquil possibly could.)) you can think of it for.

Much like a real fight, ((well I say real....I mean in the context of the RP.)) Say you want to use Flamethrower, well you could do that. But FLamethrower could do something to the enviroment as well instead of jsut being an "attack". Like if you were a small Fire type, maybe you could shoot your Flamethrower down to propel yourself. Basically, moves can be used to not only attack, but anything ((within reason, what I suggested wouldn't make something like Arcanine shoot up in the air, he is simply too big. But a Cyndaquil possibly could.)) you can think of it for.

I guess I could give it a shot. There are rules against someone who godmods?

Always, that is an unspoken rule as it should be obvious that it isn't allowed.

Also, the Host has authority over their RP, so Chim's word carries as much weight as mine in this thread. ((along with the 2 mods he has for this RP...I forget who they are though.))

I mean I find competitive battling fun. So it could just possibly be just me. How do you battle in an role playing way?

(Takes a deep breath) The roots are similar to a pokemon battle. Each pokemon has four attack moves and two status moves (so far we only have level up moves, but better moves can be learned later on). Each person takes a turn to post (I don't know how we decide who goes first, we just do). With only the moves known by the Pokemon, you think of what you'll have your Pokemon do to attack your opponents ie maybe a plain old Fire Blast on a Scizor. Your opponent may weaken the attack with a Vacuum Wave in order to survive and then go all offensive with a Wing Attack. As long as you don't go overboard (cough*Magnemite*cough) and keep it a fair fight, you have a lot of freedom how you use attacks. Pretty much if you don't launch five attacks in one post and dodge every attack from your opponent, you probably won't cause any issues.

Edit: my grammar is off today

Edited by commander218

I think I'm gonna let Kristen be the one to go after Danielle (she's done pretty good so far). I'm still indecisive on whether or not I should reveal a big chunk of Henry's backstory. It's pretty much going to grind down to what Danielle does. (Kristen's going to think Henry is all talk now. Too bad Henry doesn't care).

Another thing, I decided to give Henry's friends names and personalities. They really aren't that important (technically one is, but I'm not saying which one).

Edited by commander218

The one issue I see in the RP about dodging attacks repeatedly is it's unfair. However, I will riddle you this: how about if you have a Pokemon that's trained for speed, such as Greninja,.that can nimbly avoid most attacks heading it's way.

I can see tank Pokemon being able to withstand a super effective hit three or four times, because they are sturdy.

Going back to Panda's statement earlier, I will battle someone IRL in Pokemon or Super Smash. If anyone's interested they can PM me for a friend code and I'll PM one back. Can always use more friend safaris

Edited by Antares

The one issue I see in the RP about dodging attacks repeatedly is it's unfair. However, I will riddle you this: how about if you have a Pokemon that's trained for speed, such as Greninja,.that can nimbly avoid most attacks heading it's way.

I can see tank Pokemon being able to withstand a super effective hit three or four times, because they are sturdy.

Going back to Panda's statement earlier, I will battle someone IRL in Pokemon or Super Smash. If anyone's interested they can PM me for a friend code and I'll PM one back. Can always use more friend safaris

That's something I mentioned in the very first post. Greninja can dodge more attacks but won't be able to take a lot of hits. Aggron (or any other tank) is the other way around. They won't outspeed much but can take multiple hits.

And if someone is being unfair people usually say it in here.

Chim, hope you write ch. 3 soon. Arius and Panda want to get on the action ASAP. Sometime during ch. 3 could you arrange a battle between Arius and Robert?

Panda still needs to make a character and Tomas Elliot is also waiting. It's going to take at least a few more days because I don't want to rush things. And Chapter 3 involves the Winter Cup so if TurboAura agrees I can arrange they face each other.

Normally I would randomize each opponent but if there are requests and both players agree I'll set them up.

Panda still needs to make a character and Tomas Elliot is also waiting. It's going to take at least a few more days because I don't want to rush things. And Chapter 3 involves the Winter Cup so if TurboAura agrees I can arrange they face each other.

Normally I would randomize each opponent but if there are requests and both players agree I'll set them up.

That sounds fine. More or less thought it'd just be a 'random match' apart from the tourniment, but it'll all fine either way.

Edit: Why do you keep messing Robert and Henry up. I mean, I'm not at all 'angry,' just seems like it's always Henry and not even a 'twin' joke with Kenny. Ah well.

Edited by TurboAura

That sounds fine. More or less thought it'd just be a 'random match' apart from the tourniment, but it'll all fine either way.

Edit: Why do you keep messing Robert and Henry up. I mean, I'm not at all 'angry,' just seems like it's always Henry and not even a 'twin' joke with Kenny. Ah well.

You don't know how much I actually want Henry to be there "comforting" Ryan. There are like a billion things I could do to get Ryan to punch Henry in the face.

You don't know how much I actually want Henry to be there "comforting" Ryan. There are like a billion things I could do to get Ryan to punch Henry in the face.

Ah, to bad for us then. All Robert could be able to do is try to comfort Ryan out of his depression and try (and likely fail) at 'fixing the problem,' since Ryan already tried apologizing full-heartedily and it failed, so Robert'd lack anything better for this. Edited by TurboAura

Chim, hope you write ch. 3 soon. Arius and Panda want to get on the action ASAP. Sometime during ch. 3 could you arrange a battle between Arius and Robert?

Perhaps have some patience considering this takes a long to make and that Chim can take as much time as he needs to make this perfect, unless you want him to half-ass everything you're involved with to the point where you won't be enjoying yourself anyway.

Perhaps have some patience considering this takes a long to make and that Chim can take as much time as he needs to make this perfect, unless you want him to half-ass everything you're involved with to the point where you won't be enjoying yourself anyway.

Don't want it to be half-assed, just wish the show would go on. I know Chim is trying to get chapter 3 started, but been looking at how long chapters 1 and 2 have been up. Chapter 1 was up for 2 weeks before chapter 2 started, then chapter 2 has been up for about 4 weeks. Cut, dry, wrap it up with a neat little bow, on to the next one.

Concerning Ryan: if Arius were dealing with it, his take on it would deal with honor and respect, because both traits are important to him. If it couldn't be dealt with by even BS'ing something about honor or respect, he would just ignore it in those situations.

Edited by Antares

Don't want it to be half-assed, just wish the show would go on. I know Chim is trying to get chapter 3 started, but been looking at how long chapters 1 and 2 have been up. Chapter 1 was up for 2 weeks before chapter 2 started, then chapter 2 has been up for about 4 weeks. Cut, dry, on to the next one.

Well technically, Chapter 1 was just sort of an introduction chapter to create initial ties between characters. Chapter 2 is actually building the story and has more content as well as the fact that Chim was having some times in which things weren't going as quickly as he had liked them to. Patience is a virtue.

Concerning Ryan: if Arius were dealing with it, his take on it would deal with honor and respect, because both traits are important to him. If it couldn't be dealt with by even BS'ing something about honor or respect, he would just ignore it in those situations.

Also, I'm sorry to be rude but this is Ryan, not Arius. You don't need to relate every thing Ryan does, or any other character for that matter, to your own. He's not in the situation, and not to be rude, I honestly don't care how your character would react in the situation, as it has no affect on Ryan. I understand Arius seems to be the polar opposite of Ryan, but it doesn't mean you have to compare and contrast them with every step of the story.

Some people in the trip:

"You're a heart breaker!"

"No I'm not!"

-henery eating popcorn while watching in the background-

What Slade is doing:

"Hey, wanna play tttttttaaaaaaaagggggg~~~?!?"

"Uhhh... Sure?"

"YYYYYYYAAAAAAYYYYYYY!"

Edited by EXLink32

Well, this is Out of Character thread, so I'm just voicing my opinion on the matter. I am well aware Arius is not currently involved in the story. It's the old "what-if" situation: "what if Arius were attempting to comfort Ryan."

My take on it, I'll just leave it at that.

If Arius were in the story right now, uninvolved with everyone, he'd probably be singing this:

"Carry on my wayward suun."

"There'll be peace when you are go-one."

"Lay yo' weary head to re-est."

"Baby don't cry no mo'."

Edited by Antares

Keep in mind about how many of us there are in this RP. Hukuna already counted around 20 of us so every chapter will take time for everyone to participate. Chapter 1 is an introduction, so it is bound to be shorter than other, more important, chapters.

Plus, each of us has a life outside of this RP. We are all not sitting on the computer at standby for an update. Some of us also think about how we want to word our posts so that they won't come out crappy.