Pokemon Reborn for Macs!

Tacos

You know, there's a better option. It's called "Boot Camp." Basically, it allows you to run a copy of Windows on your Mac. I am typing on a MacBook Air, and my open tabs include RPG Maker VX Ace (A windows-only program), WordPad, and Windows Explorer. Pokemon Reborn works just fine.

Of course, it takes a bit longer to install an entire copy of Windows, but I think it's well worth it. Here are a few pros:

- You basically have a Windows computer now.

- You can switch between Windows and OS X by turning your computer off and back on again while holding option/alt.

- Everything runs a little better.

- You're running WINDOWS on a freaking MAC.

Cons:

- It takes a while and possibly a lot of frustration to set up.

- You have to take some of your memory and format it to windows (I currently have a 39/73 split, with 39 Gigabytes on my Windows side)

- Did I mention it takes a while and possibly a lot of frustration to set up?

Anyway, that's what I did. I'm not going to give you a tutorial on how to get Windows, or how to Boot Camp your Mac, but there are tutorials and (perhaps more importantly) Apple Stores for that.

• Replies 144
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Updated Guide

Changes of Note:

Inclusion of Wine Version 1.7.25

Guide of locating save file for version 1.7.25

Updated F.A.Q. to include 1.7.25

You know, there's a better option. It's called "Boot Camp." Basically, it allows you to run a copy of Windows on your Mac. I am typing on a MacBook Air, and my open tabs include RPG Maker VX Ace (A windows-only program), WordPad, and Windows Explorer. Pokemon Reborn works just fine.

Of course, it takes a bit longer to install an entire copy of Windows, but I think it's well worth it. Here are a few pros:

- You basically have a Windows computer now.

- You can switch between Windows and OS X by turning your computer off and back on again while holding option/alt.

- Everything runs a little better.

- You're running WINDOWS on a freaking MAC.

Cons:

- It takes a while and possibly a lot of frustration to set up.

- You have to take some of your memory and format it to windows (I currently have a 39/73 split, with 39 Gigabytes on my Windows side)

- Did I mention it takes a while and possibly a lot of frustration to set up?

Anyway, that's what I did. I'm not going to give you a tutorial on how to get Windows, or how to Boot Camp your Mac, but there are tutorials and (perhaps more importantly) Apple Stores for that.

I've seen something quite similar to that called VMWare that I did use at one point for Reborn before I found Wine. I just found it more of a hassle and rather inconvenient. People have preferences, but I prefer how quick Wine is and how little effort it truly takes. This may be good if you want to use more than just Reborn on your Mac, but considering this guide is strictly for Reborn, I'd rather not include something like that.

Yeah, sorry for that. We discovered in the beta that .ogg files caused the game to lag at every music transition point. #not worth

You could re-encode just the .mid files as .mp3. That would also fix most of the sound issues with Wine, and it doesn't seem to cause any lag.

The only mp3 I've found that causes any issue in Wine is the Battle-Meteor Admin.mp3. I'm still not sure why the freezing happens upon loop . . .

It could be something specific to how that file was encoded or it could just be a Wine bug . . . I haven't had time to test all of the possibilities. :(

Edited by ReddestDream

• 4 months later...

aaactually, I take that back. It just looped for me perfectly fine the third time I tried. Now my problem is, why the hell does the game keep crashing each time I knock out his last pokemon?

Mind trying to replicate it and post screenshots if possible? I'll see what I can figure out. Are you also certain that you've gotten rid of the seemingly bugged audio file?

Edit: Nvm I see your thread. Gonna let Jeri check it out to see if it's something with your files or the save in general.

• 2 weeks later...

I got Pokemon Reborn today (2-2-15) and I wanted to finally play it, of course. I followed all the steps, including getting Wine (1.6.1, like recommended) and deleted the music files, but when I open Reborn, what happens is it brings me to the little screen from wine. I press "go" to launch the application and it just doesn't run. The icon does the thing where it expands a little to show it was opened, but no window ever pops up. I'm using OS Yosemite if that means anything, and I'm using a 2014 MacBook Air. I have no clue why it won't work. Please help.

Edited by XxPhoenixXz

I got Pokemon Reborn today (2-3-15) and I wanted to finally play it, of course. I followed all the steps, including getting Wine (1.6.1, like recommended) and deleted the music files, but when I open Reborn, what happens is it brings me to the little screen from wine. I press "go" to launch the application and it just doesn't run. The icon does the thing where it expands a little to show it was opened, but no window ever pops up. I'm using OS Yosemite if that means anything, and I'm using a 2014 MacBook Air. I have no clue why it won't work. Please help.

Ok, I'm having just a little bit of trouble picturing this issue. Could you perhaps supply some screenshots of the issue so I can more accurately assist you?

Ok then, my first suggestion would be to try uninstalling and redownloading wine. Something must have went wrong in the download or installation process. Perhaps try 1.7.35 and see how that works out for you.

• 4 weeks later...

I need help getting in full screen. I tried the comman+shift and it didnt work.

I generally wouldn't recommend trying that since trying to make any app running on wine go full screen tends to cause issues on a Mac. At least that's my personal experience.

I've made a new Mac Sound Fix that should fix all the issues with sound effects not playing and the Meteor Admin Battles crashing.

Just put the files into the indicated folders and overwrite the old ones:

http://wikisend.com/download/922940/Mac Sound Fix.zip

Works on E14-14.5. Tested on Wine 1.7.37 Development from here:

http://winebottler.kronenberg.org

Thanks ^_^

Edited by ReddestDream

I am on a macbook air, and I cannot make this full screen. Contorl+shift does not work no matter what order I press them in or whatever. When I hold control then press enter it goes full screen, but looks very buggy, and I can hardly see the screen.

I can't get full screen to work properly either, but it doesn't work in Zeta/Omicron or Insurgence either, so I suspect it's an issue with RPGMakerXP itself.

Doesn't seem to work perfectly correctly on Windows either from what I can tell from LPs . . . :(

Edited by ReddestDream

Can I ask what version of Wine you are running? While it could be RPGMaker, if there is a congruency in Wine versions, that could be it.

Edit: I've tested it quickly, and it is correct, Command + Shift is no longer working for some odd reason. It is not working on 14.1 on Wine 1.7.37. I will remove it from the OP until I or anyone else can conclude as to why it will no longer work. Also, it is not working in 14.5, or with Wine version 1.6.1.