Let's Talk Game Design

Saber12

I've been thinking a lot lately about what goes on with the main series pokemon games and Reborn's game and I thought I'd try to get some discussion going on that focuses on the possibilities of what these games could be with reasons as to how they could be done. Don't worry too much about rpg maker or pokemon essentials or even the main series core mechanics(although I'll bring up some of what I know) just the idea and how it would work/your reasoning. I know I tend to write quite a bit of text but this stuff requires a bit of detail so please bare with me.

I won't bring up anything super innovative at the moment in terms of design at the moment. For now I'll start with the topic that's been going around of moving top tier pokemon in Reborn. I can understand removing any pokemon from the early game that has the potential of staying as a prominent even a dominant team member until the late game. If the game requires the player to make changes to the in game team, I see no problem at all with that goal.

In exchange I would recommend giving players access to the exp. share right from the beginning. And no I'm not talking about the one that's been used for Ruby/Saphire to Black/White. I mean the one in X and Y where it seemed like every pokemon gamer you could think of(youtube players and followers) said this thing is OP and should be put in after you beat the game. I hate hearing this solution for X and Y with a passion. It always seems like everyone is looking for a quick fix solution to solve game difficulty problems but I can't agree with X/Y's exp. share being OP at all.

First lets look at how this item was executed in the game and review its legitimate effects. It basically lessens the amount of time that you would have to spend grinding your team of pokemon by awarding non battlers in your team with half of the battling pokemons experience. That way your whole team can potentially be useful when fighting against gym leaders. Eventually it got to the point where the players pokemon were at higher levels compared to the gym leaders pokemon, elite four, and even the champion. So battles between the bosses were unbalanced. They underestimated the power the players wielded with regards to how useful this item could be so a majority of the people who used this item found Pokemon X/Y to be much easier than the usual canon games.

So the problem is simply, my pokemon are at higher levels than the opponents which is making the game too easy. How should developers fix this? Take the easy way out and move/remove the exp. share til later? Sure they can and probably will if they have other plans that take precedence over gameplay balance. This is a possibility for GameFreak considering all the new features they implement in each game, gameplay balance just might not be that important for a kids game. However, I have another solution. Add a level cap for any pokemon traded or not just as Reborn has done and give the leaders more than two pokemon; in Reborns case six.

There are some people that love to grind and can do it for hours without a care in the world. A lot of people who play rpg's have patience but that patience varies. Just as a lot of players know the best jobs these pokemon can perform, other players are just starting learn which pokemon are more physical than special attack oriented. If you give players choices between groups of pokemon that will most likely struggle in defeating a gym leader's team, they'll need plenty of opportunities to swap in and out pokemon that don't work well together team wise as well as the freedom to quickly swap in and out the most recently forgotten moves.(I'll try not to focus on moves for now)

Look at Reborns gym leaders. From Florina onwards their pokemon stay very close to the level cap some of which include battles where you don't even earn a badge ex. Kiki. After defeating Julia I believe the exp. share would be an appropriate reward and if the levels of Corey's pokemon are an issue, I would recommend it being given at least after defeating him.

Please bare in mind that this suggestion is geared towards beginners who are just learning the meta game like myself and not to people who know all the common strategies. One size doesn't fit all. Another thing I want to say is I don't expect to see the exp. share in Reborn anytime soon. This was just a way for me to express my feelings on the general design of the canon pokemon games not so much Reborn and to explore other possible solutions to some things I felt made certain parts of the game not fun at all.

Finally, I just want everyone to feel free to express and explain any game design idea you have about Reborn even if you're totally against me and you still think the exp. share is OP and stupid. Just please try to explain your reasoning for why you disagree so that we have a meaningful discussion because if there's one thing I've learned it's that nobodies perfect and my idea is just as likely to have holes in it like anyone else's. That's why I'd like all of us to discover these possibilities together. I'm not asking for huge walls of text(though I don't mind personally ^_^ ) just an explanation which you never know you might just so happen to do it accidentally. I put a lot of time and thought into this so hopefully you're not bored.

OKAY! One thing; HOLY SHET! WAS THAT SUPPOSED TO BE A FKING ESSAY?!

Okay back to the main point....-inhales, exhales-

I find X/Y's EXP.Share WAYYY too over powered.

Reason; Just get one pokemon to fight and the rest gets exp...."Oh, guess that pokemons too high a level now, time to put it in the PC and get another pokemon that needs training to replace it" continue and continue until all of the pokemon are caught up.

Reborn is a challenge. It's supposed to be 5x Meta then the real pokemon games.

Also, it's great that you typed all of this to us...but how will it effect us? We're not the game designers to any of the real Pokemon Games. We can't do anything but just play Ame's hellish fun game.

There IS.....KEY WORD; IS! a exp. share in Reborn. Remember how in Gen III where you had to do the lottery tickets so you can win either prize 1 Master ball or Prize 2; Exp.Share? yeah....that's in reborn in the game corner :)

I see two flaws in your wall of text.

1) The Exp. Share is actually in the game, be it extremely late.

2) There's a point as to why the Exp. Share is of no use early on, you're limited to level 15 before facing Julia, 25 before facing Florinia, etc.

The reason Ame made it this way is to actually make you work with what you can get at that point in the game and not make the game ridiculously easy, like X/Y's Exp. Share benefits. What fun is it to get your teams leveled up insanely fast without barely doing anything for it. This is also the reason why certain Gym Leaders do not give you badges, I believe. If you were to get every badge up to Kiki, you would have..5 badges, which would make your Pokémon obey up until 65. I honestly don't see anyone having level 65 Pokémon after Kiki. In my original playthrough, I had trouble having my team under the level cap for Noel, which was 55 or 60 I believe, without grinding all that much, yet having hard-to-raise Pokémon such as Gyarados and Excadrill.

If we were to really get the Exp. Share early in the game, be it after Corey, people would have to scavange for money to be able to afford the Common Candies to stay under a Gym level cap before getting the next badge. I can know, because without training much, I have an Azumarill about to hit 45 before facing Kiki. Granted Azumarill levels ridiculously fast due to its exp curve, which brings me to my next point of interest; Some Pokémon level up way faster then other Pokémon do, again pointing to the fact the player would require heaps of money to afford Common Candies.

I believe the current Exp. Share is better because it splits Exp. Points between two Pokémon only, meaning you can slowly level up a strong Pokémon while leveling something freshly obtained/bred.

But that's just one person's opinion.

I suppose the pre-Gen VI Exp. Share would be okay to have in the early game, because it does help with getting Pokemon caught up...

...Post-Gen VI Exp. Share, though, no, will pass. I'm currently skirting really close to the level cap already just before Aya (had to buy Common Candies to get everyone back down to the level 43-44 range, and I'm still worried about over-leveling even then...), and having everyone on my team gain experience would only speed up that process.

Yes, grinding does get rather tedious for me before battling Noel (where I consistently find myself grinding everyone up 4-5 levels, else I risk being severely under-leveled as soon as I set foot on Route 1) but really, that's the only time I can think of, and after that, you're not too far behind. With the level cap, you actually want to avoid leveling up too much, and the Exp. Share would hurt that too much.

Reborn is geared to people who want the challenge. I think a lot of people will agree with me when I say that pokemon is just too easy, also EXP share is in the game, as Shushup said. Reborn is a game that will kick you into the dirt, but you must pick yourself up and try again. In the end, it is all about how well you can play. Hell I had no problems when I went through it (and that was back in episode 7 before common candies and EXP share), so yeah try again.

• 2 weeks later...

Finally I can respond. And after reading your posts I've noticed my mistakes. The exp. share does exist at the game corner as a prize and as a reward after doing DJ Arclights sidequest. I think I'll need to edit that in my initial post . Thanks guys!

OKAY! One thing; HOLY SHET! WAS THAT SUPPOSED TO BE A FKING ESSAY?!

Okay back to the main point....-inhales, exhales-

I find X/Y's EXP.Share WAYYY too over powered.

Reason; Just get one pokemon to fight and the rest gets exp...."Oh, guess that pokemons too high a level now, time to put it in the PC and get another pokemon that needs training to replace it" continue and continue until all of the pokemon are caught up.

Reborn is a challenge. It's supposed to be 5x Meta then the real pokemon games.

Also, it's great that you typed all of this to us...but how will it effect us? We're not the game designers to any of the real Pokemon Games. We can't do anything but just play Ame's hellish fun game.

There IS.....KEY WORD; IS! a exp. share in Reborn. Remember how in Gen III where you had to do the lottery tickets so you can win either prize 1 Master ball or Prize 2; Exp.Share? yeah....that's in reborn in the game corner :)

I guess you could say that the exp. share needs work since like you said one pokemon fights and rewards the whole team with exp. points.

I'm with you on the fact that this game is meant to be more challenging than the usual games but I'm more so looking out for players who rotate their teams.

I just want to explore other possibilities with the canon game's series in general and not look at it like its a type of game that should barely make any changes, you know? In Reborn Ame did what she could to give us a fresh experience so I figure why not look at what else it could be? I mean gym leaders have six pokemon so now their battles feel like real boss battles straight out of a more traditional rpg except they are a bit more tactical due to the level caps. I want to hear about more changes even if they're really out their like traveling with a party of six trainers each specializing in battle. You might be thinking why six trainers all you need are your own pokemon but the point is to find something that could work. I just like coming up with ideas like this even though I just happen to use Reborn as the example for a game that may potentially benefit from having the use of X/Y's exp. share.

I see two flaws in your wall of text.

1) The Exp. Share is actually in the game, be it extremely late.

2) There's a point as to why the Exp. Share is of no use early on, you're limited to level 15 before facing Julia, 25 before facing Florinia, etc.

The reason Ame made it this way is to actually make you work with what you can get at that point in the game and not make the game ridiculously easy, like X/Y's Exp. Share benefits. What fun is it to get your teams leveled up insanely fast without barely doing anything for it. This is also the reason why certain Gym Leaders do not give you badges, I believe. If you were to get every badge up to Kiki, you would have..5 badges, which would make your Pokémon obey up until 65. I honestly don't see anyone having level 65 Pokémon after Kiki. In my original playthrough, I had trouble having my team under the level cap for Noel, which was 55 or 60 I believe, without grinding all that much, yet having hard-to-raise Pokémon such as Gyarados and Excadrill.

If we were to really get the Exp. Share early in the game, be it after Corey, people would have to scavange for money to be able to afford the Common Candies to stay under a Gym level cap before getting the next badge. I can know, because without training much, I have an Azumarill about to hit 45 before facing Kiki. Granted Azumarill levels ridiculously fast due to its exp curve, which brings me to my next point of interest; Some Pokémon level up way faster then other Pokémon do, again pointing to the fact the player would require heaps of money to afford Common Candies.

I believe the current Exp. Share is better because it splits Exp. Points between two Pokémon only, meaning you can slowly level up a strong Pokémon while leveling something freshly obtained/bred.

But that's just one person's opinion.

Thank you for letting know about the exp. share.

Well that's the thing with any rpg you don't really do anything when your grinding except repeat the same thing over and over again until your at a high level or make enough money. To level grind is easy just time consuming. I'm with you for those sections that you don't receive gym badges because she needed to keep the enemy's level reasonable with our current pokemon's levels per boss battle.

I'm more so looking at the players who make mistakes with their movesets and the players who like to train more than a team of six pokemon. Of course constantly having to use rare candy on your team could be annoying.

Trust me X/Y's exp. share is definetly not perfect but it I do prefer it over the original. What I'm looking at is what needs to be rewarded.

I thought it was a great start towards refining the game. Maybe not with all the current rules in the games but with the addition of a level cap it could help balance the gameplay quite a lot. Please don't tell me you actually enjoy switch training a shuckle for every gym battle. I never tried it because of my experience with magikarp and for me it's not very practical. To add, switch training rewards offensive gameplay and not defensive gameplay for anyone who uses toxic stall strategies. No matter what you do it will always take less time to grind a shuckle or chansey by switch training instead of toxic stalling because there isn't an added bonus of exp. points for longer battles. This means that more players will have movesets built around offensive which will further lessen the diversity of team building. I don't know if anyone played final fantasy tactics advance but the game mechanics for earning experience seemed fair to me for all character classes including the supportive ones like the white mage who gained experience everytime he cast cure. Come on, I mean what else is he there for? Not his offense I hope. The same could be said for defensive pokemon where although their are few of them, I think they should give the player these types of benefits. I don't care if an added exp. bonus to pokemon that use recover or wish/protect or what but I think a sufficient reward should be given to the player for stalling the enemy.

I suppose the pre-Gen VI Exp. Share would be okay to have in the early game, because it does help with getting Pokemon caught up...

...Post-Gen VI Exp. Share, though, no, will pass. I'm currently skirting really close to the level cap already just before Aya (had to buy Common Candies to get everyone back down to the level 43-44 range, and I'm still worried about over-leveling even then...), and having everyone on my team gain experience would only speed up that process.

Yes, grinding does get rather tedious for me before battling Noel (where I consistently find myself grinding everyone up 4-5 levels, else I risk being severely under-leveled as soon as I set foot on Route 1) but really, that's the only time I can think of, and after that, you're not too far behind. With the level cap, you actually want to avoid leveling up too much, and the Exp. Share would hurt that too much.

That's sort of the challenge that I'm pushing for but I've been thinking that some more limitations could be put on the exp. share like maybe not all six pokemon but three or something.

Why gear large aspects of the game when the point of the game was to be more difficult than the mainstream games.

That's the problem though. In what ways should we define difficult? I feel like that reason is used to say that it's okay to just bypass something that may be a flaw in the game. In Reborn's case I'm still not quite sure if the exp. share would be OP for it. Theoretically it shouldn't change the fact that you would almost be fighting the gym leaders on even terms in the case of level.

I need more problems that players could run into that would make the game too easy for me to see it.

Reborn is geared to people who want the challenge. I think a lot of people will agree with me when I say that pokemon is just too easy, also EXP share is in the game, as Shushup said. Reborn is a game that will kick you into the dirt, but you must pick yourself up and try again. In the end, it is all about how well you can play. Hell I had no problems when I went through it (and that was back in episode 7 before common candies and EXP share), so yeah try again.

I know what your saying and I like that kind of challenge that doesn't give you that instant gratification on the first victory. Still though the exp. share from X/Y lessens the time you'd spend level grinding so I still can't see long periods of grinding as a challenge. The point of adding X/Y's exp share isn't to make the game easier but to support the players who are raising a few new pokemon with better movesets prepared for the boss battle because they're trying to become better players with what they caught. Well at least with players who didn't fight Julia with marshtomp I guess.

I just started thinking that probably my biggest complaint with the canon series pokemon games is the fact that once you delete a move it's gone forever until you essentially grind for heartscales in order to pay for older moves. For younger pokemon like pikachu I'd personally make it free and provide a quicker use of moves swapping like right from the menu.(tail whip for double battles maybe? I don't know.) As for gardevoir with moonblast at level 30, that would definitely cost you something. What do you guys think? I'd love to continue the discussion about reborn as well since now I'm feeling a little ify about the exp. share but not totally against it yet though.

Edited by Saber12

The biggest problem with the Exp. Share in Gen VI is that it almost absolutely abolishes the need to grind period. Everyone above has mentioned difficulty being one intent, but I think another critical part of why the Exp. Share is incredibly hard to obtain is that after getting it, you don't really get the "experience" each new episode brings, because after Ame spends god-knows-how-much effort into producing an episode, someone with the Gen VI Exp. Share finishes it within the day of release, and is already sitting on their laurels waiting for the next episode.

If one is then, grinding, in Reborn, here's what begins to happen as the episodes are released. New Pokemon are discovered. New areas are discovered. Speculation is brought to the forums. The game is put under a microscope, as opposed to being sped-run by most players. One of the biggest things that has happened with X and Y? Many people ended up making a lot of progress on the day that they bought the game. I know that game mechanics are important, but so is story, and the Exp. Share is one of the culprits when it comes to detracting from the Kalos experience during a first run.

The next issue of course is the level cap. If you pay enough attention to the game and are truly trying to prepare for a gym challenge on a Game Freak title, you usually don't pay attention to "tactical-battling." One of the ways people used to play through Pokemon is that they would over level their starter poke, and catch three pokemon. A land-HM slave, a Flyer, and a boat-mon. Type advantages didn't matter because brute strength would prevail. When you are cornered into the same level tier with the Gym-Leader, you now have to think. The point of the game isn't just to be challenging, but to put different Pokemon into the spotlight and to put a trainer into some sticky situations they may not be familiar with. This makes the trainer better in the long run. Unfortunately, the Exp. Share causes those players that are used to grinding to run into the cap faster. Removing such a cap makes every Gym Leader, even with a team of six competitive Pokemon, susceptible to being bullied by an over-leveled Pokemon or two, Therefore, The Exp. Share, ESPECIALLY the one from X/Y, doesn't help the Reborn League challenger much at all, and the trade-off is nothing to be desired either.

On to Move Tutors. I love Move Tutors. Especially those in 5th Gen with the shard currency idea, myself. However, the Move Relearner - or the one that requires Heart Scales are payment - is perfectly implemented in both the main series games and in Reborn. Heart Scales are found by mining and by catching Luvdisc in Reborn, and catching Luvdisc in the main games is incredibly easier, along with a much more gratuitous rate of having a Heart Scale. I don't see how you can improve on this, and I don't think that it's -that- much of a problem to level up said Pokemon. Nor do I have any reason to want a low leveled pokemon to relearn a move.

• Administrators

To be fair, most players will complete an episode the day of getting it anyway. They're short enough.

My main hesitation with Gen 6 EXP share is that for most of the game players already have collectively 'too much' experience that they risk hitting the level cap, particularly before getting Florinia, Shelly, and Aya's badges. Now in our current late-game there's not so much of an issue as that, but I risk crashing into the level 100 hard cap by the end of the story-- I'd rather not push that further.

If I end up having to raise the hard cap past 100 I'll consider the idea of expanding the level scale as a whole, but this is going to make evolution timing awkward and we'll have almost 100 levels per Pokemon of no new level up moves vs only our current 40 or so which is already relatively boring team-development-wise.

The Gen 6 Exp. Share is most definitely too imbalanced. It levels up your team at such an alarming rate that the game becomes more of an activity than an actual game, in that you follow the path that's laid out for you with little to no decision trees (much like Chutes and Ladders).

Once again, Reborn is not for beginners who are seeking an easy environment to play in. It is the region with "the best pokemon trainers gathered" and where the difficulty is raised to suit the tastes of people who are seeking for challenge. If one is heavily reliant on overlevelled pokemon and taking advantage of the linearity of the latest metas, one will find oneself in a pinch in no time.

Having to grind your Pokemon up to the stage you are at now just to finally see the glimmer of hope of defeating the current gym is a pseudo-forfeit to those who have not prepared themselves for the unexpected. As such, we should always be ready for as many things as possible and keep an all-rounded team, and polish up on strategies.

The biggest problem with the Exp. Share in Gen VI is that it almost absolutely abolishes the need to grind period. Everyone above has mentioned difficulty being one intent, but I think another critical part of why the Exp. Share is incredibly hard to obtain is that after getting it, you don't really get the "experience" each new episode brings, because after Ame spends god-knows-how-much effort into producing an episode, someone with the Gen VI Exp. Share finishes it within the day of release, and is already sitting on their laurels waiting for the next episode.

If one is then, grinding, in Reborn, here's what begins to happen as the episodes are released. New Pokemon are discovered. New areas are discovered. Speculation is brought to the forums. The game is put under a microscope, as opposed to being sped-run by most players. One of the biggest things that has happened with X and Y? Many people ended up making a lot of progress on the day that they bought the game. I know that game mechanics are important, but so is story, and the Exp. Share is one of the culprits when it comes to detracting from the Kalos experience during a first run.

The next issue of course is the level cap. If you pay enough attention to the game and are truly trying to prepare for a gym challenge on a Game Freak title, you usually don't pay attention to "tactical-battling." One of the ways people used to play through Pokemon is that they would over level their starter poke, and catch three pokemon. A land-HM slave, a Flyer, and a boat-mon. Type advantages didn't matter because brute strength would prevail. When you are cornered into the same level tier with the Gym-Leader, you now have to think. The point of the game isn't just to be challenging, but to put different Pokemon into the spotlight and to put a trainer into some sticky situations they may not be familiar with. This makes the trainer better in the long run. Unfortunately, the Exp. Share causes those players that are used to grinding to run into the cap faster. Removing such a cap makes every Gym Leader, even with a team of six competitive Pokemon, susceptible to being bullied by an over-leveled Pokemon or two, Therefore, The Exp. Share, ESPECIALLY the one from X/Y, doesn't help the Reborn League challenger much at all, and the trade-off is nothing to be desired either.

On to Move Tutors. I love Move Tutors. Especially those in 5th Gen with the shard currency idea, myself. However, the Move Relearner - or the one that requires Heart Scales are payment - is perfectly implemented in both the main series games and in Reborn. Heart Scales are found by mining and by catching Luvdisc in Reborn, and catching Luvdisc in the main games is incredibly easier, along with a much more gratuitous rate of having a Heart Scale. I don't see how you can improve on this, and I don't think that it's -that- much of a problem to level up said Pokemon. Nor do I have any reason to want a low leveled pokemon to relearn a move.

Good point. I hadn't really thought about how the exp. share would shorten the play time by that much. That could be a big problem in Reborns case. I wouldn't quite say that "new areas" would be discovered by players who are grinding but since some of the players join the community or read the forums as guests, it would help lengthen the play time.

As for the players who are used to grinding and would quickly run into the level cap, I'm still not sure if it's that bad of a problem. If it truly does abolish the need to grind then I definitely wouldn't want this version of the exp. share implemented. I'm honestly curious about what the experience would be like if the exp. share was implemented in a game that uses level caps like Reborn. Of course the X/Y games were going to be easy as a matter of fact too easy with the exp. share but I still wonder how that would effect newcomers to competitive battle.

My problem with the move relearner isn't that its too difficult to earn the heartscales. Its that players spend so much time battling without really getting enough chances to experiment with the pokemon they already have. Of course you probably wouldn't want to reteach ember and fire spin to a charizard with flamethrower but why make it such a hassle in the first place? This is why people came up with a battle simulator like pokemon online in the first place so players could find out what works and what doesn't right away in battle. I'm particularly talking about the canon series in this case not Reborn. I think it would be a bit more interesting to be able to swap in those moves you've previously had by level up. Heck it might be more balanced than having relearnable tms. It would work like this:

-From the menu your options would be summary,move,item, swap

-In Swap you'd see the list of moves your pokemon previously had

-Then you'd be able to quickly switch to whatever moves your pokemon previously had

-Hidden moves at level 0 like Gardevoir's Moonblast would NOT be included

This is all theory but I'm looking for ways to make it more experimental for players I guess.

To be fair, most players will complete an episode the day of getting it anyway. They're short enough.

My main hesitation with Gen 6 EXP share is that for most of the game players already have collectively 'too much' experience that they risk hitting the level cap, particularly before getting Florinia, Shelly, and Aya's badges. Now in our current late-game there's not so much of an issue as that, but I risk crashing into the level 100 hard cap by the end of the story-- I'd rather not push that further.

If I end up having to raise the hard cap past 100 I'll consider the idea of expanding the level scale as a whole, but this is going to make evolution timing awkward and we'll have almost 100 levels per Pokemon of no new level up moves vs only our current 40 or so which is already relatively boring team-development-wise.

In one day...I feel slow. I guess most of the players have already gotten used to speed running Reborn. The exp. share from Gen 6 does sort of cause problems knowing that we have 8 or 7 badges to go? I am curious though about your views on how you wish to challenge players. What drives your inspiration behind some of the puzzles you put in and those special bosses like ditto arceus and pulse abra? Any games your referencing that I don't know by chance?

The Gen 6 Exp. Share is most definitely too imbalanced. It levels up your team at such an alarming rate that the game becomes more of an activity than an actual game, in that you follow the path that's laid out for you with little to no decision trees (much like Chutes and Ladders).

It does level up your team quite a bit. After seeing marrilands walkthrough I noticed that his team was on equal footing with the gym leader but his starter was overleveled. Depending on your style of play I'd definitely say Gen 6 Exp. Share is imbalanced though I think it's closer to what I'd like to see.

Once again, Reborn is not for beginners who are seeking an easy environment to play in. It is the region with "the best pokemon trainers gathered" and where the difficulty is raised to suit the tastes of people who are seeking for challenge. If one is heavily reliant on overlevelled pokemon and taking advantage of the linearity of the latest metas, one will find oneself in a pinch in no time.

Having to grind your Pokemon up to the stage you are at now just to finally see the glimmer of hope of defeating the current gym is a pseudo-forfeit to those who have not prepared themselves for the unexpected. As such, we should always be ready for as many things as possible and keep an all-rounded team, and polish up on strategies.

I know what you're saying but it's nice to look for other possibilities as well. I've been thinking about that idea of simply adding in the exp. share and I honestly feel that it was a bit of a lazy suggestion.

A while back I had an idea where you could double the amount of experience you earned for one pokemon in your party only for one day. I was thinking of that one episode where Ash was training cyndaquil for a rematch with skarmory. Sure it lessens the amount of time it takes to train something up for a gym battle but I was thinking since it's a small boost for one pokemon a day it might help get players to think carefully about how they prepare they're team for a rematch. I think I should break this down a bit further.

-if the player loses to a gym leader only

-the player is offered a chance(by an npc maybe) to raise one pokemon in the party/pc with double the exp. for that day

I thought it might fit in with the atmosphere of Reborn. What do you guys think? Should it be tweaked to 1.5 times the experience? Are there holes you can spot? I'm interested in your thoughts.....I feel like some host on a talk show. :huh:

• Veterans

Well this would definitly help me train my Solosis(ugh solosis how i love you bro even though your CANCER) and let me tell you all a story a few weeks ago i decided to get pokebank and used pokemon i bred in a previous save fil needles to say my tam was level 70+ at the end so yh and no i lik the grinding method as it is until Aya she is just plain unfair

And seriously if you guys have so much trouble with the exp share just make it so that it only gives 25% to your entire team or turn it of all toghether

Edited by Azery123

I'm starting to wonder if I placed this topic in the right place. I mean I do refer to Reborn quite a lot but I this topic is also suppose to be open to discussion about the canon series too. Should it have been placed in the Fanclub section? I hope I'm not mixing things up around here.

Well this would definitly help me train my Solosis(ugh solosis how i love you bro even though your CANCER) and let me tell you all a story a few weeks ago i decided to get pokebank and used pokemon i bred in a previous save fil needles to say my tam was level 70+ at the end so yh and no i lik the grinding method as it is until Aya she is just plain unfair

And seriously if you guys have so much trouble with the exp share just make it so that it only gives 25% to your entire team or turn it of all toghether

From what I've noticed it seems to help most players a bit too much by giving a whole party experience. It's one of those items that benefits you so well that players most likely wouldn't want to turn it off even if you knock it down to 25%. I think that's why most people don't seem to like it because there isn't much of a downside to it except for players reaching the level cap too soon which in turn speeds up the playthrough for most people just running through it. If this item were in Reborn it would be interesting to see how nonspeedrunners choose to spend their time grinding.

Although it is sort of a boost which offers no tough decision making. That's why I took the time to come up with this proposal in my post above which offers a much more limited reward, a time constraint and a requirement for the player to have already failed a gym challenge in order to use it.

This is just a place to pool in really well thought out ideas even though they most likely won't happen.

Edited by Saber12