Graterras Chapter 2: A Second Chance [IC]

Raindrop Valkyrie

A familiar growl sounded. Hunter looked up at the three Templars as his master stepped up.

"You think your magic only can accomplish such feats? I'll prove you gentlemen wrong with my bow," Helzebeth said, unable to resist the chance of showing off. There was little part of her that objected to this-- no way was she allowing others to overshadow her.

• Replies 371
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Akuma walks with his allies hearing their bragging and what seems to be building a competition around them, he adjust his poncho and tucking in his arms.

Hmmf sorcery, they fancy on it too much, all you need is cold hard steel and the sound of skulls bashing to get the job done. as he keep it to himself and nodded at Odin while walking in their phase.

"New bloods? I'm over a century old!" Xavier declared this rather indignantly. "And I doubt you can match me." He laughed, but after a moment, the grin slid off of his face. "In all seriousness, however, we must get moving."

Drug'thok nodded, still eyeing Brass warily. He had not at all liked the way that the stranger had talked down to him. "You have a funny way of asking people for help. Insulting their practices and beliefs, and then begging for assistance? Were I a more callous man I might withhold aid out of spite. However, I cannot ignore that there are innocents at risk." The sorcerer paused. "I would like to be treated with respect if I am going to go along with you. Even if our beliefs differ."

"Show me that you are worth the respect and I will. I respect you for helping my people, however I don't want to see anymore mistreatment of the elements. They are as much alive as you and me." Said Brass. "Most Sorcerer's aren't fit to recieve the time of day from me, show me you are different then they are, and I will respect you as an equal. For now you get a clean slate."

“Now we’re talking!” Sigurd said after more of his allies agreed to the small competition. “Let’s get moving,” he said as he started walking in front of the group, while he had no idea where they were supposed to go.

• 2 weeks later...

A day or 2 had passed since we last saw our heros. They traveled the country side towards Passthrough. THe closer they got the more lively it felt. Compared to the dead and dark landscapes around the Abyss, this was almost heaven. Though it was still marred with the Winter's touch, it had a still, silent grace. The Leafless trees swayed in the breeze of the open field, the smell of wood all about.

They then reached the village. It would have looked like a small quaint village on most days, but this wasn't most days. Makeshift Barricades lined the outskirts of town, making flimsy wooden walls. Improvised sticks were fastened to the outside, and sharpened at their ends. A Man popped his head over the Barricade, shouting "State your Business!" Brass put his large palm to his forehead. "It's Me, Brass, you dolt. Come on Quellem, get with the program man." Brass said with a big sigh. "Oh sorry sir, Orpheaus will want to now you are back right away, and looks like you found some aid as well."

Brass turned to the group as Quellem wound open the makeshift gate, it was loud, creaky, and sounded as if the wood was groaning. "Listen friends, lucky for us we got here during the day. The dead tend to settle down a bit in the Morn. However, we need to get to Orpheaus immediately. He is in Charge of the defense. He is a Victonari like me, though he has Golden Scales, and equally as golden armour, so it will be impossible for us to miss him at the very least." Brass said, a pompous smile on his face.

"Great, maybe we can have him be the judge of our little contest." Macus said. His mood had got much better since they came into this lively (by comparison) piece of the country. And of course, as eager for a fight as he was, getting near the enemy filled him with antecipation and energy.

As the wooden gate opens and creeks loudly, Akuma stood his ground crossed arms as he turns his head towards their new found scaly ally.

"Impressive, you guys really know what you are doing and clearly your race was build for combat. this Orpheaus guy seems to be great and all, but don't get me wrong i don't like playing defense my friend."

Nero frowned, looking around the camp. He turned back to Brass.

"Let's just hurry up and talk to this Orpheaus. This isn't what I agreed to when I came into this group. The sooner we're done here, the better." He gave a meaningful look towards Odin before turning away from the group.

There was the bustling of townsfolk running around preparing for war. They shifted around like bees in a hive, it was loud, and stunk like sweat. Everyone was pitching in. Children were even running back and forth gathering water and supplies. But even in the middle of all this bustle, he was easy to spot. It was like an ethereal Angel Stood upon the land. He gleamed in the Morning sun, looking as if he wasn't even real. His Golden Scales and Armour, were a rare beauty in this landscape. He stood in the middle of town directing others on what to do, setting up the formations, and other stuff a leader would do. His gaze came to meet the gaze of his friend, Brass. "Brass!!!" He cheered, in a equally beautiful voice. He ran (as fast as someone in Full plate aromour could) up to the Giant Victonari. Brass even dwarfed Orpheaus. They embraced quickly, and shared a hearty laugh, on common of comrades reuniting. "There you are you big Brute! We were missing ya on the wall." he said to Brass. "And I see you brought some new blood."

"Aye, Indeed I did Scale Brother. I am sure they will be a boon to our forces." Brass said with a hearty chuckle. His voice still still sounded like crackling Earth.

"Good." Orpheaus said as he turned to face the heros before him. "My name is Orpheaus Crownscale, a pleasure to meet you all."

"I'm Marcus Arthai, a Templar of Pyron. It's pleasure to meet you as well." the young warrior said. "Although I'm quite surprised with the amount of Victonari around these parts. I mean no offense, but I've never heard of you guys before."

Edited by Notus

"Really, I thought me and Brass were the only 2 around these parts." Orpheaus said. He was slightly less blinding now that Brass was shadowing him a bit. "It is rare for us to be anywhere other than our homeland of Pandora." Orpheaus suppressed a laugh, after all a commander shouldn't be too giggly. "I am a Paladin of the Order of Bahamut, nice to meet a Cinder Knight, we hear many things about your order. I have always wanted to meet one."

Drug'thok stepped forward, nodding in greeting to Orpheaus. "I am Drug'thok Grunara. It is a pleasure to make your acquaintance, although I'm sure we all wish it were under better circumstances." The sorcerer paused, glancing between the two Victonari. "We have not exactly been warmly received by the others of your kind that we have met here." The half-Orc paused again, closing his eyes for a moment. The earth had nothing to say about these two; rather, it seemed to welcome the Victonari in front of him, unlike the way it had recoiled at the Victonari from the battle earlier. These two could be trusted. "How can we help?"

It seemed that there wasn't much use in being too standoffish around these people. After all, it wasn't exactly appealing to be called "ranger" or anything generic, even if it did describe her in a way.

"Helzebeth. Pleased to be of assistance," said the half-elf, not wanting to waste much words. Gesturing to the great wolf that circled her feet protectively, she added, "His name is Hunter."

Jeneve darted around the Victonari, examining the golden armor from all angles. She identified a few places where a thin blade could possibly be inserted without much resistance.

"Hi! I'm Jeneve. I love your armor, it's very pretty. And it looks really expensive, too. Where did you get it?"

Akuma ask from the back of the group following Jeneve's introduction with his own.

"Greetings golden warrior of this region, the name's Akuma, a wandering Kenku of the Shifting sands at your aid. Just as my fellow warrior said, where did you get that armor?" as the Kenku pause for a sec and started doubting.

"I'm quite surprise at your radiant armor but pardon me for nitpicking but I believe as saying goes that a knight in a shinning armor is a man has never had his metal truly tested. clearly im not convinced..no disrespect my good man." as he waits the response of the bright Victonari.

"This Armour? It is the Suit of Rebirth, or at least I call it that." He said. "It is a long bloody tale though, and one I have not the time to tell." He placed his chin in his hand, thinking obviously. "Let's just say it is my birthright, This armour and 2 swords. Though I only have one of the Swords." as he said this he unsheathed a blade from his back. It was a Brilliant Long Sword. It also seemed as if it was made of gold. The Sun gleamed off of it, even more brilliant than his armour. A Small thrum of energy could be felt through the air, emanating from the Sword. "These come from my Homeland, and once belonged to my father. It was said he could forge Steel into Gold. I never met him." Orpheaus sighed. "There is much more I would need to tell for you to understand, but I have preparations to make. If we aren't careful the undead horde will overrun us." he then chuckled. "But no need to worry about my swordsmenship, I can assure you I have seen battle." as he said this his moved his sword quickly towards Jeneve, swinging it right by her head. Before anybody could react he had already placed away his sword, and was holding in his hand, a single strand of her hair. "Guess that only proves I have precision."

Brass Laughed loudly, his voice sounding like granite grating across rough stone. "You best believe him, he has almost single-handily defended this town from a Dragon, though he would never admit it. You are too bloody humble Orpheaus. Also I don't know how the hell he keeps his armour that bloody clean though, it has looked that way for over 15 years."

Odin had been taking in the sites of the People running to and fro, it reminded him of Fishing Season in Brinestar. He would miss that place. "A pleasure to meet ye as well, Mister Orpheaus, I am Odin Thunderbrew."

Sigurd wasn’t impressed with Orpheaus little show. “You aim your sword at unarmed little girls. Who are you trying to impress? Or are you compensating for something with that golden armor?”

He showed Orpheaus his most arrogant face en walked past him. “By the way, if you can fight a dragon one on one, how come you need to ask our help against whatever is coming?” he asked with a sarcastic tone.

"A dragon is One Creature, I cannot fight Legions on my own, nor could you." He placed the sword in the ground. "Even with Sunglimmer." He eyed Sigurd for awhile, he hadn't see him before. Strong Man, rather good looking. Judging by his 2 Swords, a Brutish Fighter, though a powerful one. "And don't worry about your companion here." he said, clearly talking about Jeneve. "She isn't as harmless as you think. She could have killed me by now if we weren't in the middle of a town." Orpheaus placed his hand back on the sword in the ground. "What's your name? You are one of few whoever had the resolve to call me out. I want to test that resolve, how about a duel? If you think I am compensating for something, or that my resolve isn't real perhaps I should show you. Parlor tricks are nothing compared to battle. And I have a small amount of time."

Sigurd smirked. He loved picking fights. Especially with people that stood out and got more attention than him. “The name is Sigurd Olafson. I’m a Wind Templar,” he said while looking at his opponents sword. That thing looked like it could do some serious damage. “I never met a Dragon, but I heard they are as powerful as an entire Legion. Let’s see if you’re not all just talk.”
Sigurd took his battle stance and unsheathed his swords. “Age before beauty!” he said with a grin.

"Good. Be ready." Orpheaus, Picked his sword from the ground, and then slammed his hand into the arm of Full plate. A small Piece of metal popped up. It quickly unfolded into a Circular pattern, making a small buckler of the small Golden metal on his Left arm. He moved blindingly fast, only made harder to see by the dazzling of his armour against the Sun. He swung Sunglimmer down towards Sigurd's right shoulder.